Author Topic: What is acceptable for a female mustachian?  (Read 26398 times)

meyla

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
What is acceptable for a female mustachian?
« on: August 22, 2014, 09:54:14 AM »
I'd like to get some opinions on what is reasonable/unreasonable for a frugal female such as myself to spend money on. I'm not SUPER mustachian. I am very frugal in the sense that I spend way less than other people I know, but I do have a limit (I go to Starbucks once a week to treat myself). Typically if I wonder if I'm spending unnecessarily, I ask my SO what he thinks. He is more than happy to tell me that I shouldn't have bought that (OK we didn't need 400sq ft of solid hardwood floors but they're so much easier to clean...), but when it comes to things that aren't purchasing considerations for him at all, it's hard for him to respond.

Some examples of my purchases. Are these reasonable or frivolous?:
$45 haircut every 6-8weeks
$40 makeup every 3 months
$75 lingerie every 6 months
$25 BC per month (nuvaring - has been the best BC option of the 3 I've tried)

I've made some changes since becoming more mustachian in the last few months - I color my hair with a $3 box of Revlon dye every 2 months instead of spending 50$ at the salon. I never get manicures or pedicures. Just because there exists a pair of shoes on the sale rack that are my size and way cuter than what I'm wearing doesn't mean I need them. I switched from salon-brand shampoo and conditioner to drug-store brand. But I'm wondering, should I do even more? Is makeup anti-mustachian?

For context, my only debt is student loans (23k@5.5%) and a mortgage(130k@2.5%). I'm 25 and save 40% of my take-home pay.

PloddingInsight

• Bristles
Re: What is acceptable for a female mustachian?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 10:03:21 AM »
You already save 40%.  At this point, the mustachian thing to do is to decide for yourself.

LibrarIan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 10:04:29 AM »
I think women look super cute with short hair. I'm sure I'm in the minority, but that's my opinion, so I'd say if you're adventurous you could try getting a home cutting kit and cut your own hair. I also think it's super awesome when women don't wear makeup. Even subtle makeup. Natural wins for me. My wife and I rarely ever do the lingerie thing and we find plenty of ways to keep things interesting in that department. I'd say unless you're interested in having children, keep the BC. I don't think anyone needs to tell you that BC is less expensive than children.

With all that being said, I wouldn't call these expenses frivolous. Especially since they are so infrequent. Without seeing your whole money breakdown, I'd say based on this that you're totally fine.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2014, 10:05:07 AM »
You already save 40%.  At this point, the mustachian thing to do is to decide for yourself.
+1.

Also, birth control is a "having sex" thing, or a medical thing, not a female thing :)

nordlead

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2014, 10:12:49 AM »
I'm a guy, with a wife. Those all seem reasonable to me. Besides, your saving rate is really good.

If you know anyone who works in a OB/GYN office there is a good chance you can get the nuvaring for free. We had a friend who gave us them because the office always had way too many free samples. Eventually my insurance covered it for $0 copay so we went with that for convenience.

The haircut could cost less (lower frequency of say once every 3 months by getting it cut a tiny bit shorter or letting it grow a tiny bit longer).

While strictly speaking you don't need makeup, I don't see the harm. Just try to minimize the costs and enjoy looking nice. Heck, your once/week starbucks probably costs more than the makeup and is worse for your health.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2014, 10:22:05 AM »
270 - 405$ for haircuts each year
120$ for makeup each year
150$ for underwear each year

These are all frivolous expenses, but they're not exactly crushing your budget.  If they make you happy, stick with 'em but make sure that they're making you happy before you choose to stick with 'em!

300 $ for birth control each year - straight up bargain vs having kids.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2014, 10:24:48 AM »

That sounds like a co-pay amount.  Some insurances let you order a three-month supply by mail for only one co-pay, have you checked to see if yours does?

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2014, 10:25:06 AM »
I don't see what female has to do with it, so I'll hazard an answer.

My wife and I both think hair coloring and makeup are silly expenses. The frequency of haircuts seems pretty extreme, but then I've got a wife who loves growing her hair out and then once every year or two getting it cut extremely short. The stylists usually love her too, because they rarely get to do stuff that extreme.

Pretty sure birth control is supposed to be free regardless of your insurance under ACA. Ours is.

On the lingerie, well, speaking as a guy it does nothing for me. YMMV.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2014, 10:31:24 AM »
If you are thinking about these things, I bet that over time you will find cheaper ways to do them all.  For example, where I live there is a very highly rated beauty school where the instructors correct any issue before the client is allowed to leave.  Every $15 haircut I have had there has been indistinguishable from a high-end salon cut.  This is definitely not true of all beauty schools.  I have had some very different experiences at other places.

You may try a cheaper brand of makeup and find that it works just as well or not and either make the adjustment or not as seems best like you did when you started coloring your own hair.

If your lingerie is for recreational purposes, you may decide that you and your partner are having so much fun that you plan to spend even more.  On the other hand if the only purpose of lingerie is to keep you pants from smelling and your boobs from sagging you may find cheaper brands that do the job or you may find a great sale and buy a lifetime supply.  One of the advantages of the MMM lifestyle is you can afford to buy a lifetime supply when the price is right.  I struck and incredible sock sale about five years ago and the Hub and I will be buried in our $1/pr socks.

I would be willing to place a small bet that by the time another year has passed you will have found a painless way to reduce at least one of those expenses just because optimizing is what it's all about and that's how you think

Timmmy

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2014, 10:47:37 AM »
Wait...  You have student loans at 5.5% but you save 40% of your income?  Why wouldn't you pay those off?

None of those expenses are that crazy but the real question is do they interfere with your goals?  That's something only you can decide. 

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2014, 10:52:00 AM »
I don't see what female has to do with it, so I'll hazard an answer.

My wife and I both think hair coloring and makeup are silly expenses. The frequency of haircuts seems pretty extreme, but then I've got a wife who loves growing her hair out and then once every year or two getting it cut extremely short. The stylists usually love her too, because they rarely get to do stuff that extreme.

Pretty sure birth control is supposed to be free regardless of your insurance under ACA. Ours is.

On the lingerie, well, speaking as a guy it does nothing for me. YMMV.
Not if you have a grandfathered employer plan, even if you joined after ACA came into affect.  I still have a copay on my birth control.

meyla

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2014, 10:56:14 AM »
Thanks a lot for the positivity. I was really concerned that I would get more along the lines of "What are you thinking?!"

I do have short hair (above shoulder length), and I feel like that is what makes me "need" a hair cut every 4-6weeks - going any longer than that and I start to think I look like a cocker spaniel. Though the idea of going shorter and waiting longer between cuts is definitely an option that I will have to consider.

I hadn't ever thought of the Starbucks over time vs Makeup over time comparison... it makes me feel a little bad... I know Starbucks is anti-mustachian and I actually bought an espresso machine to try to avoid it, but I find the machine difficult to use. Maybe I bought a bad model.

The birth control is actually no copay, $25 per ring. That is down from my previous insurance cost of $35 per ring so I feel better about that than I did last year. I do ask my OBGYN for extra samples when I go and I got 3 this time. She also gave me a coupon that could take up to 50% off the post-insurance cost for 12 doses! I haven't used it yet though. Very excited about that.

The lingerie is not for play, really. I tend to replace my undies often because I feel like they don't hold up well. I wonder if I should do a test of buying nicer quality at a higher price with the intent of having them last longer? I buy most of my stuff at Target.
Looking nice definitely does make me feel better, so I think that is definitely a valid though immeasurable value.

As for why I don't pay off my student loans in their entirety, I don't know. I am trying to figure out the best use of my extra money each month and I'm the kind of person who, when faced with a difficult decision, will do nothing for as long as I can get away with it. I really would like to get help with that aspect of my finances.

marblejane

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2014, 10:59:10 AM »
Do you hand wash your underwear? Consider doing this if you're not already, it will make them last a lot longer.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2014, 11:03:46 AM »
Re:  Undies don't hold up well.  Bras live longer if not put through drier.  I hang mine on the bedroom door knob to dry.  Mending torn panties by hand goes well with watching tv or a movie. 

MandyM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2014, 11:09:38 AM »
Do you hand wash your underwear? Consider doing this if you're not already, it will make them last a lot longer.

+1. Also, I've found that quality brands will definitely last longer. I cringe at the thought of $40+ for a bra, but if it can outlast the others by a large margin than it is worth it.

You may consider slowly paring your make up down. What is the minimum level of makeup you really need to feel put together in the morning? Stop making it just your routine and question each product. Maybe you will eliminate or reduce some, maybe not, but its worth making a conscience decision about each one.

You would probably benefit from a "case study" style posting to get advice on where to put your money. My first reaction is that you should absolutely be paying your loans off faster than minimum payments. But it depends on your salary and what 40% savings amounts to - e.g. do you have a 401K with a company match to consider?

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2014, 11:26:20 AM »
I have short hair, but if I get a really, really good cut, I can go 2-3 MONTHS between cuts. 6-8 weeks seems like a lot--you might be able to tweak that.

That's more than I've spent on undies in the last, like, three years.

You might check out the book How To Look Expensive to see if you can get any ideas for shaving a few dollars off your makeup routine. go longer between cuts, etc. I didn't get that much out of the book because I currently spend like $0 on beauty, so there's really no way to go lower :-).

tmac

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2014, 11:31:03 AM »
It's about what you value. If they are worth it to you, and more important to you than other things you could do with that money, then they're worth it.

I value haircuts, but I don't value having a professional do it. I have layered shoulder-length hair, dark brown with a few greys. I don't plan to color it. I cut it myself once a month or so, at the same time that I'm cutting everyone's hair (DH gets a buzz that's a little longer on top, S17 gets a scissor cut that's pretty floppy, D10 has longer hair but it's a similar cut to mine, S8 just likes it buzzed all the way down). Great resources online for learning how. Takes an hour a month and saves us more than $1k/year. I have a $30 clipper and a $10 pair of scissors.

I value looking healthy and clean, but don't value looking made-up. I wear inexpensive store-brand moisturizer/sunscreen and tinted lip balm. The cost is minimal. Any more than that would be more than it's worth to me (in cost and effort).

I value comfortable and well-fitting undergarments. I buy them when they wear out. Inexpensive, cotton underpants once a year, expensive well-fitting bras every two or three years. Because I'm a hard-to-fit size, I don't worry about how much the bras cost. They're often $60 or more. Comfort and fit are paramount. I wash them in the machine, but dry on the line. They last quite a while.

After three kids, one of which was not planned, I REALLY value not having any more surprise babies. I will pay any amount for this. :)

OSUBearCub

• Bristles
  • Tackling student loan debt/not saving dryer lint.
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2014, 11:36:38 AM »
http://thekrazycouponlady.com/coupons-for/victorias-secret/  - depending on where you get your frilly things, this might help.

meyla

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2014, 11:51:40 AM »
I think everyone is right about the haircuts. There is definitely room for improvement there. I had always considered learning to cut my SOs hair, but never my own! How do you see the back well enough? It sounds difficult.

I do hand wash my bras but not my panties. I used to machine wash and dry bras but I learned very quickly that it is detrimental to their longevity.

My makeup routine isn't a complex one, but I use bare minerals foundation, which is the majority of my cost. It's the only foundation I've found that never makes me break out, though it has been years since I tried something different. Other than that it's just mascara and an eyebrow pencil. I dye my hair from blonde to red so I need the eyebrow fill in to make it look natural.

I intend to do a case study soon to try to get additional help, but I feel like my situation is a little complicated... How do these forums typically react to attempts to take advantage of loan forgiveness programs? My SO's loan situation is much worse than mine.

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2014, 11:59:54 AM »
I think everyone is right about the haircuts. There is definitely room for improvement there. I had always considered learning to cut my SOs hair, but never my own! How do you see the back well enough? It sounds difficult.

I do hand wash my bras but not my panties. I used to machine wash and dry bras but I learned very quickly that it is detrimental to their longevity.

My makeup routine isn't a complex one, but I use bare minerals foundation, which is the majority of my cost. It's the only foundation I've found that never makes me break out, though it has been years since I tried something different. Other than that it's just mascara and an eyebrow pencil. I dye my hair from blonde to red so I need the eyebrow fill in to make it look natural.

I intend to do a case study soon to try to get additional help, but I feel like my situation is a little complicated... How do these forums typically react to attempts to take advantage of loan forgiveness programs? My SO's loan situation is much worse than mine.
Have you checked out qvc?  I buy the same foundation and with sales (and ebates cash back), I do spend a lot less than you on make-up.

tmac

• Bristles
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2014, 12:01:09 PM »

It's pretty fun to learn, and can save a bundle.

I use this technique -- shoulder-length for me, longer for my daughter: http://www.howtohairgirl.com/2013/01/5-diy-haircuts-to-try-today/

She's got a lot of different styles to try.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 03:15:02 PM by tmac »

studentdoc2

• Stubble
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2014, 12:03:57 PM »
I'm a 27 yo woman. I think those expenses are all pretty reasonable. I also have super-short hair (>3 inches), and after 8-10 weeks I can't stand my hair. I've tried bunches of options, including cutting my own/having others cut it for me, cheaper barbers, etc., but finally had to settle on a $40 cut every two months. My hair requires serious thinning/texturizing to make it anything but a poof ball -- I figure the $40 on haircuts saves me many $$$ on stupid hair products.

Makeup -- eh. I used to wear makeup, and as a frugality gesture/living up to my feminist beliefs, I've basically stopped. I still have some good stuff I wear if we go out (although, when the last time THAT was, I can't remember...), but otherwise I've stopped buying it. I'll replace it when I do. If there was anything to cut, I'd point to that, but it doesn't sound like you're buying a new shade of lipstick every other day, so whatever.

Lingerie -- seriously, a good bra/underwear is worth its weight in gold. I fully support (no pun intended) good-quality undergarments that fit well, last a long time, and make you feel 100% better (and I'm not talking about lingerie for sexy time -- just day-to-day). I don't think that's any more frivolous than needing business clothes for a corporate environment. Sure, shop the sales, treat it well, and don't buy stuff that you don't need, but it's a reasonable expense.

Birth control <<<<<<<<<<< babies. I'll only throw out there that while the NuvaRing is pretty awesome, the IUD can be even awesomer and possibly more cost-effective.

socaso

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2014, 12:10:07 PM »
Whatever you pay for birth control that is effective, safe and doesn't make you crazy is worth every penny. As far as the other things are concerned I probably spend about the same on makeup every year and it makes me happy so I don't care. I have found some good deals on lingerie at Target. I usually have to spend a good deal of time in the dressing room trying on but when I find things that work I'm only spending $20 or so for a bra and that's not bad. With the haircuts you could try a new style that needs less upkeep. Talk to your hairstylist and tell them and they should be able to help you figure out something that would work for you. If you don't want to change your hairstyle you might try going to a less expensive place for every other cut. As has been frequently noted on this thread, your savings rate is great and you have made other positive changes so don't sweat it too much if this is your style comfort level. It's not that frivolous.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2014, 12:11:34 PM »
Some examples of my purchases. Are these reasonable or frivolous?:

This seems higher than it needs to be.  Since reading MMM, I've stopped highlighting my hair (something I picked up in 2007 at the end of grad school).  I continue to go 4-5 months in-between hair cuts.  I take it from short chin-length to longer past shoulders before cutting it.  My stylist deliberately cuts it so it'll grow out well.  I also get mine cut up near my parents house in NH, where it's cheaper than Boston and I like the person who does it.  A short haircut is going to need more frequent cuts than a long one though.

Ok, this seems really high to me, but I rarely wear makeup.  I bought almost $100 of make up back in June (which I cringed about), but hadn't bought any for two years.  I'd look into cheaper makeup, wearing it less frequently and wearing less of it to reduce the costs.

This also seems high to me.  Don't run your bras or nicer underwear through the dryer.  Try buying quality bras that will last longer.  I buy at Victoria's Secret's semi-annual sale.  You can get bras then for $10-20, which will last much longer than 6 months.  (6 months is way too short of a lifespan.  I have some from almost 15 years ago, which is excessive I admit.  I generally tend to wear my bras for at least 5 years or I feel they were poor quality.)  I then get cards for freebie panties from VS throughout the year (they stop if you don't buy anything for a while it turns out though). 

With everyone else, first I do not see this as a "female" spending.  It's a joint expense if you're in a monogamous relationship.  (When I was younger and very poor, this irritated me that I spent money on this every year and my then-bf didn't have to and didn't split it with me.)  It's also a totally reasonable and necessary expense.

MillenialMustache

• Bristles
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2014, 12:12:33 PM »
Everyone has things that they spend money on - you would just want to decide if what you are spending is worth that delay in your retirement.

Personally, I get my hair cut twice a year for $20 at Fantastic Sam's. I don't wear makeup, and I don't spend nearly that amount on undergarments - I just keep a couple of functional bras around, maybe $20 each or less if I get a good deal, and then buy a new one every few years or so. I also only buy a couple of pair of panties every year - they last me a long time - probably less than $20 a year.

MicroRN

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2014, 12:13:50 PM »
I don't view BC that works for you as an expensive luxury.  Kids are way more expensive.       

The haircuts...maybe.  I'm not the best person to judge that though.  I cut my own hair and always have (my mom cut it until I was about 16, then I took over), but it's long, so a cut is easy to do.  You could look for local schools.

Why don't you challenge yourself to go a couple weeks without makeup and see how you feel?  I wear makeup about a half-dozen times a year, and even then it's very basic.  You might be surprised. 

Good quality undergarments can actually make your clothes look better, I've been told.  I'm cheap, but if you need a certain style to be comfortable and feel good, I think that's worthwhile. 

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2014, 12:27:25 PM »

Seems a little high, but not outrageous.

I pay $70 for a haircut at a very nice salon every two months.

I don't use makeup, so no expense there.

I buy underwear about once every two years at La Senza on boxing day - usually something like 5 for $20, and I get quite a bit - maybe 10-15 pairs. We hang everything to dry, so things last a long time. I definitely chuck anything that's getting ratty.

I don't pay for birth control any more since getting sterilized about seven years ago, but before that I believe I was paying around $40 every three months for the Depo shot.

Dezrah

• Bristles
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2014, 12:38:31 PM »
Wow, you are like my twin in so many respects.  I'll share stuff that I've figured out over time.  Perhaps it will work for you as well.

I do have short hair (above shoulder length), and I feel like that is what makes me "need" a hair cut every 4-6weeks - going any longer than that and I start to think I look like a cocker spaniel. Though the idea of going shorter and waiting longer between cuts is definitely an option that I will have to consider.
I have curly hair and it sounds like you probably do as well.  I went from shorter to longer hair by just letting it go for about 6 months.  I used bobby pins and lots of holding gel to transition through the awkward period.  That hair gel (CurlsRock by Catwalk, TIGI) remains my must have non-Mustaschian purchase.  Best product I've ever used but pricey.  Now my haircuts are about $45 every 10-12 weeks.

The lingerie is not for play, really. I tend to replace my undies often because I feel like they don't hold up well. I wonder if I should do a test of buying nicer quality at a higher price with the intent of having them last longer? I buy most of my stuff at Target.
Looking nice definitely does make me feel better, so I think that is definitely a valid though immeasurable value.
Target underwear is terrible.  They fall apart, are uncomfortable, and general unattractive I think.  It is absolutely worth buying the quality stuff.  A few years ago, I was given a gift certificate at my bachelorette party for Victoria Secret.  I bought about a dozen cotton bikinis during a sale and they are still as comfortable and cute as the day I bought them.

As for why I don't pay off my student loans in their entirety, I don't know. I am trying to figure out the best use of my extra money each month and I'm the kind of person who, when faced with a difficult decision, will do nothing for as long as I can get away with it. I really would like to get help with that aspect of my finances.
I don't have student loan debt but my husband does.  What made me feel okay about the debt was putting it all into a spreadsheet and seeing how the interest accrued each day.  Then I toyed with the payments until I developed a plan to pay off the whole amount in 3 years instead of the original 10.  It's aggressive but reasonable and I don't beat us up over the fact that we're still saving for retirement and a down-payment on a house.

Overall, it sounds like you're doing

minimustache1985

• Stubble
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2014, 12:46:55 PM »

None of these expenses are killing you, but I'll throw in my 2 cents:

I get my hair cut every 4-6 months at Great Clips and watch for their coupons.  Short hair would need cut more often, but I'd give a cheaper salon a go.

I wear makeup very infrequently, but if it makes you feel more confident in your day to day I think that's a reasonable amount, may be worth stocking up a bit when there are sales since you have a consistent routine and product set.

I also like Victoria's Secret for underwear.  I'll get bras on the semi-annual sale or when they send a $10 off a purchase and $10 off a bra coupon (the last time I bought one the cashier let me use both, YMMV on that), and use the free panty coupons they send out, and/or combine a $10 off a purchase with an underwear sale.  I hang dry my bras but put all my delicates in the washer, and have found their stuff to last much longer than my target/hanes purchases.  I probably spend $50 a year there over 1-2 trips.

And BC is not even a little bit frivolous.  Mine is free (not nuvaring), but I would happily pay $25/mo or more for it since H and I are not ready for kidlets yet.

BooksAreNerdy

• Bristles
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2014, 01:14:26 PM »
I spend about $45/cut twice a year.

I've never purchased make up before, so that seems pricy to me, but I don't know what the bare minimum is. But $160/year and running out 4x a year makes me imagine you are plastering it on pretty thick.  Maybe skip the face colored stuff and blush and just do your eyes and lips?

I get undies at kohls. I can't imagine spending more than $60/year. When I'm not pregnant/nursing (and thus need almost no support) I use sporty type bras from patagoina that I think I got on sale for $20/each. They lasted 2 years between pregnancies for me.

The birth control is a bargain. Stop even considering it an optional expense.

pdxcyn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2014, 01:26:28 PM »
I used to spend nearly the same on haircuts, but this blog inspired me to let my hair grow. I used to think I looked better with short hair, but I've been getting lots of compliments on it long. I do wear make-up but I can't imagine how one can spend $40 in 3 months. I buy only drugstore brands however and use only foundation, powder and eyeliner most days. One bottle of foundation lasts me about a year, even though I wear it practically every day. I'm all for the natural look, but I have rosacea so I'm a little self-conscious about going bare faced.

Birth control is certainly not a frivolous item.

Ditto to buying better quality panties. I have had some from Victoria Secret last for years. They use much better quality elastic. The ones I've thrown away after years of use were because the fabric was disintegrating, the elastic was still good! It's been awhile since I bought any there so I can't guarantee that this is still true. But look for brands that use wide, durable looking elastic.

Kriegsspiel

« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2014, 01:29:39 PM »
Quote from: marblejane[/quote

You could probably get a pretty profitable side gig going if you got a Japanese dude to hand-wash them for you.

I've... heard this is a thing...

Kriegsspiel

« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2014, 01:30:47 PM »
You don't happen to dress in a lot of schoolgirl outfits, do you? That would help the aforementioned side gig.

EarlyQuit

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2014, 01:35:54 PM »
Not sure if this has already been mentioned, but if you sign up for Victoria's Secret coupons, several times a year they send coupons for a free pair of undies (good quality by my standards). Thanks to this, I haven't had to spend any money on panties for a couple of years.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2014, 01:47:31 PM »
I get my hair cut every 8 weeks & it helps me feel good about myself. In regard to makeup I was taught to buy good makeup which is better for your skin.  If I am staying home I do not wear any but when going out I do.  Do whatever makes you feel good about yourself.   YOu have a great savings rate so should do the things that feel right for you.

meyla

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2014, 02:02:24 PM »

You could probably get a pretty profitable side gig going if you got a Japanese dude to hand-wash them for you.

Do you know of someone? Will they also rub my feet?

I checked QVC for the bare minerals foundation that I use and it's only a few dollars cheaper when you consider shipping. Maybe there's some coupons I'm missing out on. Also, I think replacing the kabuki brush is also where some of my expense goes... I will need to find a kabuki-alternative.

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2014, 02:03:44 PM »

I checked QVC for the bare minerals foundation that I use and it's only a few dollars cheaper when you consider shipping. Maybe there's some coupons I'm missing out on. Also, I think replacing the kabuki brush is also where some of my expense goes... I will need to find a kabuki-alternative.
Wait till there are sales, also ebates gives cash back which cuts it down.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2014, 02:22:35 PM »
I've never owned a kabuki brush.  However, I spent a bit more on my make-up brushes and I replace them every 5-7 years.  I do clean them weekly with Dr. Bronner's, but I've found quality brushes last a long time if you treat them well.  I've had luck with the Sephora brand brushes, which aren't too horribly priced. 

I think Ulta sells Bare Minerals.  I frequently find Ulta coupons for $5-$10 off a purchase. 

If you're happy with your routine, then let it stay.  I don't think your spending is out of control in this area, so consider the impact of the changes.  I started buying drugstore mascara, and I've noticed no difference in quality.  Other items I'm not willing to sacrifice (CONCEALER!!!!!). 

Good luck!

Sylly

• Bristles
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2014, 03:09:38 PM »
Noone has mentioned this yet -- but have you considered checking stores such as Ross, T.J. Maxx, and Marshall's for underwear?

It's definitely not going to be as convenient as a store that has definite, regular stock, since you pretty much have to luck out on on finding your size/styling. But their price is worth it, IMO, if you happen to find good quality ones (their stock can vary from crappy to typical department store ware, to brand names). I generally just start checking in as soon as I'm in the market for replacements. Depending on your size, you may have an easier/harder time at it.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2014, 05:51:52 PM »

You might be uncomfortable with what they rub against your feet.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2014, 05:56:56 PM »
I think those expenses are all reasonable if and only if you make your money looking good.  If you're a sex worker, or a front lone customerer service rep, or a model, or maybe even in sales, I think they're reasonable.  But for the rest of us they're just vanity.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2014, 06:32:35 PM »
Not if you have a grandfathered employer plan, even if you joined after ACA came into affect.  I still have a copay on my birth control.

Weird. I thought DW's was a grandfathered plan as well, but it switched from $10 to $0 copay this year.

Mrs. PoP

• Bristles
    • Planting Our Pennies
« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2014, 06:54:06 PM »

Weird. I thought DW's was a grandfathered plan as well, but it switched from $10 to $0 copay this year.

It's not all types of BC, even on plans where the switch happened -  so OP's type might not be covered at $0 copay. 

For example, on my plan the switch meant that one type of IUD was covered at 100%, but the other two would have cost ~$900.  With pills, generic orthotricyclen would have been $0 copay (down from $9/mo), but orthotricyclen lo would have been ~$40/mo.  Makes it tough when you have a specific type that you know works for you and are hesitant to try a new kind.

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2014, 07:50:44 PM »
Two questions:

What in the world kind of magic fingers get to charge $45 for scissors?  That's crazy!  Hair coloring at 25...

Also, how much underwear do you go through?  You can get a ton at Costco for that kind of money

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ynari

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2014, 08:51:47 PM »
I cut and dye my own hair ($3/mo), don't wear makeup usually but when I do, it's light ($10/year), buy new underwear every 3-6 months (about $10-$20, just a new pair or two, it's not like I'm replacing everything I own that often), and have an IUD that cost me nothing because of my insurance, and it's good for the next bajillion years so I don't even have to worry about switching providers (it's copper, which is approved for 10+ years, most docs just say keep it in as long as you don't want to have kids).

So your expenses seem CRAZY to me.  That doesn't mean they're wrong.  But the question you should be asking is "Can I, personally, find a way to make me happy with the situation for less money?"  And the answer is probably less.  Try shopping around for lingerie and taking better care of it.  Try getting some clippers and learn to cut your own hair.  Try buying less or more cost effective makeup.  Use those coupons for your birth control!

schnauzbart

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2014, 09:30:50 PM »
BC is not a discretionary expense. The other expenses you are thinking about add up to around $50 per month (plus $20 for Starbucks). Your call whether that's worth fretting over.

I'd think about getting better quality for the same or less money. You already got a bunch of recommendations for lingerie. As for the coffee, low tech is better than a machine with all the little parts IMHO. I'd recommend using a French press type coffee maker (Aeropress is cheap and really easy too use and clean and allows using a filter if desired; google "inverted brewing method" for tips on how to use it). Then buy whole beans from your local coffee roaster and grind them using a conical burr grinder. A manual grinder should cost about $25 and a decent electric one around $100 or so. If having to manually grind it will make you run back to Starbucks, I'd say go with the electric one. Even if you're only buying a Starbucks latte once a week right now, you'll be amortizing the cost of the equipment in less than a year if you can break the Starbucks habit.

Oh, and the habit will be easy to break because your coffee will taste so much better...

LudicrousSpeed

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2014, 11:03:47 PM »
Try washing the kabuki brush with shampoo and air dry it sideways with the bristles hanging off the counter. Don't dry it with the bristles facing up because gravity will pull the water down and swell the wood handle.

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #47 on: August 23, 2014, 06:21:17 AM »
Best underwear I've found is Marks & Spencer from the UK. They sell on their website and ship to the states too! I buy a pack of 5 black bikinis every couple of years and I'm good. Super comfy and not so spendy and they last for years and years.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #48 on: August 23, 2014, 07:20:54 AM »
Okay I wasn't going to jump in because I'm a tomboy and all of this confuses me but my puzzlement over the underwear is too extreme.  What are y'all doing to your undies?  I have the target/hanes stuff and it lasts for years.  Have you tried buying a size up?  It might, er, be under a little less strain.  I find a size up is much more comfortable anyway.

OP, I know you said you were worried people would say this was crazy but maybe you secretly wanted that too?  If you came on here with a $600/yr hobby, people would say chacun a sa gout, but you don't seem to think of it as a hobby.  Your thread title might mean 'is it acceptable for me to spend this much' but it might also mean 'is this an acceptable amount of primping for a female or not enough?'  You're covering up all the skin on your face and changing your hair color.  If that's your idea of a fun time I'm not going to judge, but it sounds like you just do it on auto.  The hedonic adaptation of 'feeling pretty.' 

If it helps, think of it like your starbucks.  You enjoy it more for its only being once a week.  My experience has been that if someone wears make-up every day, other people get used to it.  But if you never wear make-up and then you do for a special occasion, people go nuts!  They gush over how fantastic you look!  Meanwhile. you have a lot more money and free time.

Torran

• Bristles
« Reply #49 on: August 23, 2014, 07:40:50 AM »
If you're on track with your budget, then it seems fair enough to spend on these things if they are important to you. The only thing I'd suggest is having a think about how much happiness you get out of these, and any creative ways you could do things differently, cut down on the amount of purchases. If it would make you happier to be saving money in this area while still feeling 100% happy with your appearance, then you have nailed it.

On the other hand, if you would just feel a bit miserable missing out on these things, then why not keep them up?