Author Topic: What have you learned in 2018?  (Read 2375 times)

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
What have you learned in 2018?
« on: December 27, 2018, 04:40:37 PM »
Just for fun, what have you learned, MMM/finance related or not? 

marty998

• Walrus Stache
Re: What have you learned in 2018?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2018, 04:47:19 PM »
Patience at work.

Sometimes it really just comes down to circumstance whether you get that change or promotion. I didn't kick and scream and whinge about having to wait 12 months after I was notified of a role change. Good things come to those who wait.

Also learned to go into market downturns in a "position of strength". In 2007 I had 50% gearing on a margin loan. Today that loan is at zero, waiting for the right moment to pounce.

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2018, 04:46:55 AM »
Angular and ASP.NET Core. I’m learning them for work. ASP.NET Core has been fun and built on my previous MVC knowledge, but Angular has been a nightmare. It feels like I have to change 5 files, download a new library, and import a new module/service/directive/component to do one simple thing. If my company weren’t using it, I wouldn’t bother learning it. I do like TypeScript and Visual Studio code.

The above paragraph is probably meaningless unless you work in software development :D

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2018, 06:03:25 AM »
I learned the the best investment I could possibly make is investment in myself. I have gained a ton of new skills that have made me more valuable both in my personal life and my professional life. This, in turn, makes me a more liberated person. It's incredible how many free resources are available on the internet that allow a person to increase their financial wealth and their physical/mental/emotional well-being.

Bearblastbeats

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2018, 06:48:04 AM »
Between my gf and I finding out she's pregnant and preparing for that, changing jobs, buying a house, totaling my car and buying a new one, I've learned to slow down, as much as I can. This year was incredibly stressful on all fronts.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2018, 02:39:10 PM »
This has been a very turbulent year. I've learned that I'm pretty good at what I do, and I probably deserve more money. I've also learned that I don't actually need that much money to survive. I've also learned that really being frugal is mostly about organisation - getting those lunches packed, getting up earlier to walk to work, planning multiple things to accomplish when I take the car out, setting aside time for the side hustle etc.

JenWins

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2018, 02:59:42 PM »
I learned that nobody can love me more than I love myself.

Spiffsome

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2018, 07:38:24 PM »
I've learned:
  • That I desperately need a job where I can demonstrate competence.
  • That watering gardens and trees consistently through the dry winter results in much better growth and more fruit
  • That libraries are awesome for getting new books on impulse and then you can give them back!
  • How to play a bunch more songs on the piano accordion
  • How to make curry from scratch
It's been a pretty educational year.

zee dot

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2018, 05:22:32 PM »
I learned how to do a back door IRA through the very helpful members on this site.
I learned about sinking funds.

Igelfreundin

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2018, 07:36:11 PM »
I learned how to saw through my PVC drain and install a wye fitting so I could snake the drain. And it doesn't leak!

Also, inspired by mustachian friends, I learned how to request a three-week vacation and not back down when my boss blanched.