Author Topic: What HARDCORE MUSTACHIAN thing did you do today to save money?  (Read 5807 times)

ManlyFather

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Manly Father
What HARDCORE MUSTACHIAN thing did you do today to save money?
« on: December 27, 2017, 04:41:14 PM »
I drove my car to work in -3F without turning the heater on.  This saved me about 2 mpg.

What HARDCORE MUSTACHIAN thing did you do to save money today?

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What HARDCORE MUSTACHIAN thing did you do today to save money?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2017, 05:15:53 PM »
Shots fired!

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2017, 08:41:07 PM »
I walked through the snow to the well insulated and solar powered office that I finished out myself, and, between yesterday and today, cut my cloud hosting bills down from about $130-$140/mo to about $10/mo, without any loss in functionality that anyone cares about.

ManlyFather

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Manly Father
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2017, 05:13:41 AM »
You drove your car to work?  Pfft.  Does that even deserve a 1/10 on the hardcore mustachian scale?

http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2011/11/03/how-to-ride-your-bike-all-winter-and-love-it/

You are NOT ALLOWED to stop riding your bike just because it is cold outside. So if you’ve ever used that excuse before, shut your whining trap, put on your coat and gloves, and I’ll see you on the streets this winter – every day!

Let us know how your bike commute goes tomorrow.

Yesterday I had to drive to a meeting 60 miles from my house.  I am not hardcore enough to do that on a bike in -3F.  My normal 7 mile commute, however...

sixup

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2017, 05:30:18 AM »
I got a 16k/yr raise.

slappy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2017, 07:45:06 AM »
I drove my car to work in -3F without turning the heater on.  This saved me about 2 mpg.

I didn't realize that using the heat affected MPG. I thought it was only AC that did that.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2017, 07:58:02 AM »

I didn't realize that using the heat affected MPG. I thought it was only AC that did that.
That's my impression too.  Using the heat could affect how long it takes the coolant to warm up (lowering MPG) but once the thermostat is open, the excess heat has to go either to the radiator or heater core.  I usually leave the heater off until that point.  My car is also ultra-fancypants now, so it has electric heated leather seats, which I can turn on right away in the winter.

slappy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2017, 08:00:45 AM »

That's my impression too.  Using the heat could affect how long it takes the coolant to warm up (lowering MPG) but once the thermostat is open, the excess heat has to go either to the radiator or heater core.  I usually leave the heater off until that point.  My car is also ultra-fancypants now, so it has electric heated leather seats, which I can turn on right away in the winter.

Well I didn't know that part, so I guess I will start keeping heat off until the car is warmed up at least.

ManlyFather

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Manly Father
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2017, 12:18:32 PM »

Well I didn't know that part, so I guess I will start keeping heat off until the car is warmed up at least.

I have a 2012 Prius v, which decides to ignore using battery power more often if the heat is on.  This results in a lowered MPG rating.  I can "trick" the car into using its battery a bit more often in ultra-cold weather by not using the heater.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2017, 01:32:30 PM »

I have a 2012 Prius v, which decides to ignore using battery power more often if the heat is on.  This results in a lowered MPG rating.  I can "trick" the car into using its battery a bit more often in ultra-cold weather by not using the heater.
Ah, that would do it.  Hybrids make the equation more complicated.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2017, 07:17:41 PM »
Walked for half an hour to get to a smart ATM that will allow me to deposit cash without the $3 charge that the local bank charges. That $3 is mine, all mine!

cl_noll

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2017, 10:24:17 PM »
You car driving ninnies!  I've been riding all week in single digits above and below. Total saved - $16 in bus fares. About time this absurdly priced REI clothing started pulling it's weight.

sixup

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2017, 04:24:53 AM »
I will also be riding my 20 mile round trip commute today in this 11 degree weather. On an ebike though, so slightly wussypants I suppose.

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2017, 09:02:55 AM »
Making my own mulch from shredded leaves. Physical activity, good for the planet, reduces lawn area, saves $400 instead of buying the mulch and having it delivered.

Also opened a new credit card for the $500 bonus thanks to another tip on this forum: https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit-cards/products/premium-rewards-credit-card/#rewardsCcModule

pigpen

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2017, 09:17:27 AM »
Removed my own inflamed appendix using a YouTube video, bottle of whiskey (Old Granddad), a mirror, needle and thread, and a steak knife from Goodwill. Total Cost: $15.97!

ManlyFather

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Manly Father
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2017, 11:10:31 AM »
Removed my own inflamed appendix using a YouTube video, bottle of whiskey (Old Granddad), a mirror, needle and thread, and a steak knife from Goodwill. Total Cost: $15.97!

You could have saved even more money using a shard of broken glass, you dolt!

pigpen

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2017, 11:19:14 AM »
Well, hell. You're right. I should have asked for advice here before I got started. Maybe I could start a side hustle by opening a neighborhood surgery clinic for my mustachian neighbors. Surely that's legal if you get the right permits and stuff...

sixup

• Stubble
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2017, 05:00:03 AM »
Cut my own hair the other day. Looks like a crappy-mediocre great clips cut. But a crappy-mediocre great clips cut would still cost $20.

Anon in Alaska

• Stubble
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2017, 05:51:34 AM »

You could have saved even more money using a shard of broken glass, you dolt!

Why didn't you film your operation and post it on You-Tube? Lots of people would watch something so gruesome, and you would get some ad revenue.

11ducks

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2017, 06:07:27 AM »

My Grandpa used to complain that he had to walk 10miles to school through the freezing snow, with no shoes and a donkey on his back....

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2017, 06:34:44 AM »
It's probably not truly hardcore, but it's 60F in here because I don't want to turn the heating on in December, and my breakfast consisted of free samples at the grocery store. I biked there, because I obviously don't have a car. I'm eating leftovers for lunch with a cup of tea from a teabag that's been re-used at least 3 times.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2017, 06:16:59 PM »

My Grandpa used to complain that he had to walk 10miles to school through the freezing snow, with no shoes and a donkey on his back....

And it was uphill both ways dammit!