Author Topic: What goes *Squeek*Squeek* and goes really fast?  (Read 6461 times)

Guses

• Pencil Stache
What goes *Squeek*Squeek* and goes really fast?
« on: May 01, 2015, 09:16:38 AM »
My bike makes this god awful squeek sound when I am pedaling, reminiscing of a dirty old serpentine belt on a car on a cold morning. Please help me figure this out.

Pedaling forward makes the noise. Pedaling backwards (no load) does not. Coasting also does not produce the noise (not the wheel bearings or hubs).

While my chain was super rusty after the winter, I cleaned it and lubed it several times and it looks really nice now. Chain is freshly lubed from earlier this week (no rain since).

I sprayed some lube on either side of the Bottom Bracket this morning just in case and it did not help.

Would it be possible that the chain is rubbing against something in the jockey, cassette, rear derailleur area? Would this not prevent me from shifting?

The bike shifts really well since I tuned it after winter.

Please help, this is really driving me NUTS!

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
Re: What goes *Squeek*Squeek* and goes really fast?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2015, 09:23:31 AM »
Mine did the same thing, I replaced the chain, because it was time anyways, and it went away.  I would start there.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2015, 10:03:47 AM »
My pedals used to squeak like crazy. For some reason it only happened when pedaling forward, but not backward. I just flipped my bike onto its side and dumped a bunch of oil into each pedal, and the problem was solved.

Guses

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2015, 10:30:25 AM »
My pedals used to squeak like crazy. For some reason it only happened when pedaling forward, but not backward. I just flipped my bike onto its side and dumped a bunch of oil into each pedal, and the problem was solved.
Yeah, its not the pedal.I replaced them last weekend (for an unrelated reason) and the bike was squeaking before that.

It might be chain though. After all, it has about 2000-3000 KM and has seen the salt of winter. I think I have an extra one at home. 

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2015, 08:20:22 PM »
I thought it was a riddle. I was going to guess "a mouse on the space shuttle".

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2015, 09:20:50 PM »
Almost certainly the chain.  Oil it more.  If that still doesn't fix it, replace the chain.

You'll very likely be able to feel some "stiff joints" if you manipulate it by hand.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2015, 08:12:01 AM »
Gerbils on crack.  Sorry, couldn't resist.

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2015, 11:27:09 AM »
Oh, also, to answer the joke:

"A MAMIL with an unoiled chain going down a very, very steep hill." :)

Guses

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2015, 05:06:25 PM »
Oh, also, to answer the joke:

"A MAMIL with an unoiled chain going down a very, very steep hill." :)

Ahah! best one so far!

will update this thread as my situation progresses.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2015, 06:51:48 PM »
A chipmunk stuck in an engine belt.

Guses

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2015, 09:14:02 AM »
A chipmunk stuck in an engine belt.

No, that's what goes *Sqeeeeeeek**Silence* and goes very fast

Update

I changed the chain and, after fixing my stiff link, the bike goes like a charm. YAY!

So, my chain breaker really sucks and causes stiff links whenever I open a link. Any suggestions for a good tool?

anks

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2015, 09:49:27 AM »
So, my chain breaker really sucks and causes stiff links whenever I open a link. Any suggestions for a good tool?

Get yourself a master link and never have to break a chain the chain again. Basically you replace one link with this quick-connect link, and you can easily break the chain without tools. It's a real time saver. Just make sure you get one that matches your chain. It might be easier to get one with a new chain so you know they match. Here is an example of one for a 10-speed chain.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2015, 09:58:39 AM »

Get yourself a master link and never have to break a chain the chain again. Basically you replace one link with this quick-connect link, and you can easily break the chain without tools. It's a real time saver. Just make sure you get one that matches your chain. It might be easier to get one with a new chain so you know they match. Here is an example of one for a 10-speed chain.

Even better - when buying new chains, get one with a master-link packaged in. The master links wear out anyways.

I get the appropriate speed KMC chains and I've been quite happy with them.

Then get the Park Tool master link pliers and you're set.

I hear so many bikes going by with squeaky chains - drives me nuts. Then again, before I joined the hardcore cyclists around here, I had no idea chains ever needed to be replaced, or lubed with something other than WD40 (sigh).

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2015, 11:05:32 PM »
I was just about to make a Mariah Carey joke but it looks like the problem is solved.

Iconoclast

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2015, 01:46:03 PM »
We need a "like" button on these forums. Some of the replies are hilarious. BTW I also thought it was a riddle.

Guses

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2015, 08:17:40 AM »
Update

What goes *flop**flop*, goes really slow and looks pretty weird?

Spoiler: show
 A grown man "push scooting" his bike for  6 miles! 

Not only did my crappy chain break tool cause stiff links, it also made my chain open a little bit on the way in to work. Having no way to fix it, I decided to risk it and go very slowly and carefully back home at the end of the day. Needless to say that Murphy's law struck and caused my chain to break at exactly half way point of my commute.

Weeeeeeeeeee! Push scooting fun!

Anyway, I fixed it now and it runs great, I just need better tools...