Author Topic: What Freebies to You Get from Friends?  (Read 4035 times)

midweststache

• Pencil Stache
What Freebies to You Get from Friends?
« on: June 22, 2015, 12:23:57 PM »
I was thinking about this the other day as I was showering--we haven't bought soap in years! This is because when I go home for vacations, my mother is always foisting stuff she accumulates off onto me, including:

1. Fancy Parisian body soap she was gifted (two GIANT bars that have lasted us 6+ months).
2. Moisturizer (she gets Clinique freebies when she buys her other, more expensive moisturizer). I can't tell you the last time I bought moisturizer.
3. Eye shadow, mascara, lip color (see above).
4. Clothes (My closet = 1/4 of my sister's closet, and we wear about the same size. I take her gently-used hand-me-downs every year or so when she cleans out her closet.)
5. Wine. (My parents are often gifted wine, but don't like it generally, so I get most of it.)

What do you frequently receive from family or friends that keeps you from buying things?

*Note: I don't ask my mother to buy me these things, and I only take it when it's clear she won't use it and I would. I also tell her to not go out of her way to get this stuff for me in the future.

frugalcass

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: What Freebies to You Get from Friends?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2015, 12:33:27 PM »
Good question!

For birthdays, freebies usually come in the form of luxuries that I would never spend my money on.
Two examples this year included a gift certificate for a post-winter pedicure and massage and one 4-hour cooking class.

Within my industry (beauty), I receive a LOT of full size and travel size samples of
  • Shampoo
  • Exfoliating Body Wash
  • Body Lotion
  • Sunscreen
  • Facial Serums, Face Masks, etc.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2015, 12:36:25 PM »
Kids clothes.  18 months, haven't purchased a single item of clothing and have stuff lined up so we can keep the streak going until 24 months at least.

Kids toys.  I don't anticipate EVER needing to buy a toy.  Parents are just happy to get some of the plastic hoard out of the house.

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
  • a smooth sea never made a skilled sailor
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2015, 12:39:13 PM »
- Kids clothes
- Eggs (neighbors have chickens)
- Car rides (when traveling, I do this for them too)
- Sports tickets (usually receive them from work and we ask each other)
- Food in general
- Labor (we help eachother move, with yardwork, etc.)
- Books

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2015, 12:39:36 PM »
Just got a juicer from a friend that was moving.  Hoping to use it to make hard apple cider on the cheap once apple season rolls around. 

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2015, 05:54:50 PM »
Eggs and clothes, mostly, plus the zucchini flood should be about to start.

Candace

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2015, 09:26:28 AM »
Opera tickets.

A friend has access to a lot of comps and she gives my boyfriend and I a pair every time. The increasing ticket sales may make this impossible in the future, but for now, we dress up, look nice, and talk up the Opera to other people we know who wouldn't ordinarily think of it.

The same friend gave my boyfriend some free ideas on how to market his new business. He had helped her with some legal matters earlier (he's a lawyer). So it works out.

norabird

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2015, 10:07:48 AM »
I am so happy the OP has the same type of mother that I do, because it makes me feel less ridiculous about how much stuff I always bring home with me after visits. Food, clothes, toiletries, kitchen equipment...

fartface

• Bristles
    • money apple
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2015, 02:01:18 PM »
Neighbors, friends, and relatives have given us:
+bikes for our kids
+clothes for our kids
+bedding: comforters, sheets, pillow shams
+dresser
+dog bed
+futon

Oh, and a CW gave me a bunch of clothes, so now I look presentable at work. :)

I pretty much take any and everything, so once you get known for that, everyone gives you their crap. If I don't like what's been dumped on me, I promptly donate to Goodwill.

Strangely enough, I've never accepted used appliances. We're on our 3rd home in 15 years and each time we move we buy new stove/fridge/washer/dryer/dishwasher. Probably anti-mustachian, but I like to have new appliances when I move...

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!