Author Topic: What ever happened to Dr. Doom?  (Read 5215 times)

Trudie

• Handlebar Stache
What ever happened to Dr. Doom?
« on: February 07, 2017, 11:13:05 AM »
I loved reading his blog.  Has he gone AWOL?  I found so much I could relate to on his blog.

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
Re: What ever happened to Dr. Doom?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 11:27:59 AM »
I don't know all the details, but it is my understanding that he's living his life since he's FIREd.

His blog (https://livingafi.com/) was updated back in November, and I do hope he will keep it active because it is an amazing resource and his writing style is highly entertaining (and just plain good).

I miss him too, but I think that he's super busy doing fun stuff and learning new things and hanging out with family and IRL friends and not obsessing over money/FIRE stuff any more.

Should give hope to everyone still on the path that there is life after RE and it is way more interesting than discussing the minutia around places like this. ;)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 11:30:35 AM by Frankies Girl »

HeadedWest2029

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2017, 12:15:15 PM »
In his more recent posts he's eluded that his posts will be infrequent.  I imagine once you FIRE your interests in this stuff dwindles.  Heck, I'm not even FIRE'd and I'm barely engaged because you just see the same question / answers over and over. Once you internalize this stuff it's rare to come across something mind blowing or new information that changes your opinion on a topic.

Trudie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2017, 01:28:20 PM »
Heck, I'm not even FIRE'd and I'm barely engaged because you just see the same question / answers over and over. Once you internalize this stuff it's rare to come across something mind blowing or new information that changes your opinion on a topic.

I can relate.  I engage much less than I used to and it's healthy.  I'm about at my peak on the "optimization" curve.

neo von retorch

• Magnum Stache
    • Fi@retorch - personal finance tracking
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2017, 09:45:26 AM »
I find the best FIRE blogs follow someone's personal story as they approach FIRE... But then most of the blogs go silent after ER. Maybe the IRP is carting them off for inadvertently making a few bucks?

I find this an interesting observation. Blogs I've read the most are probably GetRichSlowly, MrMoneyMustache, and some from EarlyRetirementExtreme. (I also read some IWillTeachYouToBeRich back in the day... but that's a different animal!) Anyway, GRS had great writing, and he was "a regular guy" who hadn't hit it big yet. But obviously the quality decreased some with staff writing, and it plummeted when he sold! MMM actually retired before starting his blog, though! Of course, I think he had "messages" to convey, and over ~5 years, he did just that. So it's far longer between posts as there are "only so many ideas" on how he lives differently. Most of his blog posts are not "his personal story approaching FIRE" but they are "how he lives day to day", how he enjoys the way he lives, rather than struggles.

Ah, and Dr. Doom - I haven't read a lot, because... POST LENGTH! But I've enjoyed what I read. I kind of discovered it as he was already hitting his ER point, but he was writing during the lead up to that point, and there's a lot of interesting content - especially the "emotional/mental" side of the coin.

I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't room for "someone new to come along." But it probably has to be personal, has to show flaws and struggles, and of course, it has to have great writing. The personality, the character has to be revealed in the writing. I'd love to find someone new - even if not for learning new things I can/should/would do to reach FIRE, but just to follow along on their adventure. I think that's what I enjoy about some journals here - when I get to see developments, changes and progress...

tooqk4u22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2017, 01:53:05 PM »
I find the best FIRE blogs follow someone's personal story as they approach FIRE... But then most of the blogs go silent after ER. Maybe the IRP is carting them off for inadvertently making a few bucks?

I find this an interesting observation. Blogs I've read the most are probably GetRichSlowly, MrMoneyMustache, and some from EarlyRetirementExtreme. (I also read some IWillTeachYouToBeRich back in the day... but that's a different animal!) Anyway, GRS had great writing, and he was "a regular guy" who hadn't hit it big yet. But obviously the quality decreased some with staff writing, and it plummeted when he sold! MMM actually retired before starting his blog, though! Of course, I think he had "messages" to convey, and over ~5 years, he did just that. So it's far longer between posts as there are "only so many ideas" on how he lives differently. Most of his blog posts are not "his personal story approaching FIRE" but they are "how he lives day to day", how he enjoys the way he lives, rather than struggles.

Ah, and Dr. Doom - I haven't read a lot, because... POST LENGTH! But I've enjoyed what I read. I kind of discovered it as he was already hitting his ER point, but he was writing during the lead up to that point, and there's a lot of interesting content - especially the "emotional/mental" side of the coin.

I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't room for "someone new to come along." But it probably has to be personal, has to show flaws and struggles, and of course, it has to have great writing. The personality, the character has to be revealed in the writing. I'd love to find someone new - even if not for learning new things I can/should/would do to reach FIRE, but just to follow along on their adventure. I think that's what I enjoy about some journals here - when I get to see developments, changes and progress...

I found Livingafi posts to be more relatable from a psychological/emotional perspective of FIRE whereas MMM was more numbers/lifestyle oriented...both good but in different ways.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!