Author Topic: What do you use on your dry winter skin?  (Read 3960 times)

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
What do you use on your dry winter skin?
« on: January 22, 2019, 05:50:32 AM »
Here’s my current dry skin routine but I need new recommendations as my skin just keeps getting dryer and feeling more inflamed:

I am using an Aveeno body wash, after the shower I’m then applying either Johnson’s Baby Oil, Cerave cream, or Cocoa Butter lotion.  My back and shins are the driest areas.  I am running a humidifier while I sleep.  Anything I put on my skin needs to absorb pretty fast otherwise I’m grossed out.  I also need to shower on a daily basis. 

Papa bear

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What do you use on your dry winter skin?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2019, 06:05:54 AM »
Udderly smooth “udder cream” lotion. 
Stay hydrated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turkey Leg

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2019, 06:15:10 AM »
Neutrogena Norwegian Formula Moisturizing Hand Cream Formulated with Glycerin for Dry, Rough Hands, Fragrance-Free Intensive Hand Cream - I use this on hands, elbows, problem spots, and even my face. A little goes a long way.

jim555

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2019, 06:16:42 AM »
Walmart's version of Vaseline Intensive Care Aloe Soothe Lotion called Moisture Care Aloe Cool works very well.

Laura33

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2019, 07:34:39 AM »
For maintenance/daily prevention, I am having good luck with coconut oil (the kind that is solid at room temperature).  It seems to leave a nice barrier in place that keeps the skin from drying out, without feeling greasy/oily. 

When things are already super-dry and cracked, though, you need more moisture immediately.  I never had any luck with lotions, but pure aloe seems to just suck right in.  Mary Kay also has an after-sun gel that my body just sucks up and that doesn’t seem to leave any annoying coating.  I would apply one of those immediately after a shower, and then once it is absorbed cover it with the coconut oil or with an udder-balm-type thing.

Also, for areas like shins that you can easily cover, do a night treatment:  goop your legs up with aloe, then (gently) put on knee socks and sleep that way.  Then in the morning, do your normal routine.  This was the only approach that fixed the cracks in my hands the year we moved to CO - just putting stuff on in the morning and throughout the day wasn’t cutting it.

NowClear

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2019, 10:52:09 AM »
my most-effective approach is a lotion followed by an oil. the lotion delivers needed moisture, and the oil creates an effective barrier, trapping the moisture in near your skin and keeping the dry air out.

a lot of different kinds of combos should work with this approach, but i tend to use amlactin lotion (bought at costco) and an almond oil. i use almond purely because it is a more neutral scent than something like coconut oil, at least to me. i work from top to bottom, lotion first and by the time i finish with my legs and reach for the oil my top half has already absorbed the lotion and a thin layer of oil goes right on top.

i've also found dry brushing before a shower helpful before i started this routine, and still do that about once a week.

tralfamadorian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2019, 10:54:34 AM »
Lotions are mostly water and I find lots of the less expensive ones to be sticky (cheap glycerin and emulsifiers) so I decided to go straight for the moisturizing ingredients themselves. In the summer I use jojoba. In the winter I blend ~50%/50% jojoba/shea butter. I live in a place that is humid in the summer. If I lived somewhere drier like Colorado, I would use a butter blend year round and probably move to a medium weight oil like sweet almond oil.

Since there is no water evaporation, you only need the scantest amount so a container lasts for ages. Jojoba is a little expensive at the moment- I think there was a shortage of some kind- so if I was buying today I would get:
1lb sweet almond oil $4.99 or 1lb fractionated coconut oil $8.99 and 1lb shea butter $6.99. If I wanted scented, add in an ounce of lavender EO $4.99.

TrMama

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2019, 10:57:44 AM »
When I lived in a dry winter climate I used products designed for eczema. They're usually in a separate section of the pharmacy and not with the rest of the lotions. I liked Aveeno Eczema lotion.

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2019, 11:10:04 AM »
If you're getting inflammation, you may want to make sure you're not having an allergic reaction to a product, especially detergents. I found out that Tide laundry detergent irritates my skin badly -- my nether regions and shins were terribly itchy and felt dry, since they were pressed all day against underwear and skinny jeans covered in irritants all day (tight calves + shaving made it worse on the lower legs, I think).

Do you absolutely have to shower every day? I'm not saying you shouldn't clean yourself, but a sponge bath can go a very long way, and will minimize the damage of a hot shower on your skin (might be especially helpful for your shins).

The general advice to trap in moisture is good -- especially Laura33's advice about the socks.

Free Spirit

• Stubble
  • Be water, my friend.
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2019, 11:16:02 AM »
To piggy back off this, can anyone recommend a lotion that doesn't contain nut/seed oils? Every lotion I try makes me break out and I wonder if I have an undiagnosed allergy. Argan oil especially does a number on me to the point of my eyes swelling up so I suspect other seed oils could be making my skin react.

CNM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2019, 11:20:21 AM »
I tend to have dry skin in the winter.  My favorite solution is an oil, like almond oil, applied while in the shower with a scrubby exfoliating towel.  That gets the dead skin off and hydrates the new skin and, with the scrubby towel, you can get all those hard to reach places like the middle of your back. Then, after the shower, I may also apply regular skin lotion.

COEE

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2019, 11:20:33 AM »
I shower every other day.  Let's more of the natural oils deveop to keep naturally moistureized.  I also have a whole house humidifier on the heater. This is mostly for my wood floors but also helps the skin.

I only use moisturizer, lovino, i think when I've gone swimming due to the chemicals drying me out even more.

Laura33

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2019, 01:24:02 PM »
To piggy back off this, can anyone recommend a lotion that doesn't contain nut/seed oils? Every lotion I try makes me break out and I wonder if I have an undiagnosed allergy. Argan oil especially does a number on me to the point of my eyes swelling up so I suspect other seed oils could be making my skin react.

Honestly, this is why I stopped dealing with lotions -- I am allergic to wool, so lanolin drives me nuts, and it just seems like so many lotions have something in them that bugs me.  I have had good luck with Mary Kay and Clinique for face creams/lotions.  Yes, name-brand stuff.  Given the amount of money and time I've wasted looking for cheaper options that didn't work, I finally said screw it and just buy what I know feels nice.  Hands/body/etc. it's the giant tub o' coconut oil.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2019, 02:02:40 PM »
The lotion you put on while you are actually showering is pretty good.

But I can’t use very hot water or stay in the shower too long in the winter or my skin is miserable.

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2019, 06:18:31 AM »

I believe the Cerave kind is nutfree, but don’t take my word for it.  Unfortunately nut things seem all the rage in beauty products now.  I’m also not a huge fan of them but not allergic.

lotus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2019, 02:05:32 PM »
I apply eucerin right after shower for body and aveeno itch balm eczema therapy for face

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2019, 02:21:34 PM »
I bought a fancy-pants "beard balm" to supplement the conditioner when I was informed that my beard was too scratchy. Not sure how much it does for my beard, but the stuff works wonders on the my dry hands!

Free Spirit

• Stubble
  • Be water, my friend.
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2019, 03:00:34 PM »

Honestly, this is why I stopped dealing with lotions -- I am allergic to wool, so lanolin drives me nuts, and it just seems like so many lotions have something in them that bugs me.  I have had good luck with Mary Kay and Clinique for face creams/lotions.  Yes, name-brand stuff.  Given the amount of money and time I've wasted looking for cheaper options that didn't work, I finally said screw it and just buy what I know feels nice.  Hands/body/etc. it's the giant tub o' coconut oil.

Thank you, you've reminded me I totally can step outside of the drug store if needed! I really wish coconut oil didn't give me a rash, I love the way it feels and smells. Sigh.

I believe the Cerave kind is nutfree, but don’t take my word for it.  Unfortunately nut things seem all the rage in beauty products now.  I’m also not a huge fan of them but not allergic.

I remember hearing good things about Cerave but hesitated because I felt it was pricey for a drug-store brand. I just might have to bite the bullet and try it out. Thanks!

mountain mustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2019, 08:19:09 PM »
my skin has always been so dry, even when I lived in a more humid climate. My dermatologist told me to try Eucerin Advanced Repair lotion, and I really like it! I put it on immediately after getting out of the shower, as she said after 3 min the skin is not as absorbent. I've always been into really natural products, so it was kind of a stretch for me to buy this, but my skin feels SO much better now...I can't believe I went 7 dry CO winters without it. If I have cracked skin, which doesn't happen often anymore, I put Badger Balm skin repair on whatever area is cracked (usually feet).

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2019, 08:25:16 PM »
I'm switching to just using straight Shea butter for hands and other dry spots, elbows and whatnot.

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2019, 10:16:49 PM »
I take shea butter (ivory kind) and use a hand blender to make it fluffy. This I use for skin and hair.

TRD

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2019, 01:42:09 AM »
I’m a pretty big fan of Jergen’s Ultra Healing.

chemistk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2019, 05:44:42 AM »
My wife can't stand it, but I love the feeling of dry rough skin. I feel gross/disgusting when my hands and face are covered in any sort of product. My skin is always dry in the summer and drier in the winter. I promise I'm not trolling, I really am telling the truth!

That being said, when I was in middle school, my skin would get a bit too dry and start cracking and bleeding. About the only product (at the time) that would work is Aquaphor. My wife now swears by Aquaphor as well, though she also has a soft spot for Gold Bond products too.

Catica

• Bristles
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2019, 03:51:38 AM »
First  Beauty Ultra Repair Cream.  It really works, no nut oils in this.  Absorbs really quickly is it's not sticky at all.  I used to wake up with my face feeling like a sand paper but it's nice and soft now.  https://www.firstaidbeauty.com/skin-care/product/body/ultra-repair-skin-cream

BikeFanatic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2019, 11:39:11 AM »
The cerrave brand is hypoallergenic, no perfumes or preservatives. I have allergies and the only brans i can use are cereve, cetaphil and avveno active naturals excema formula. Plai old aveeno irritants my skin.

Catica

• Bristles
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2019, 02:00:46 PM »
The cerrave brand is hypoallergenic, no perfumes or preservatives. I have allergies and the only brans i can use are cereve, cetaphil and avveno active naturals excema formula. Plai old aveeno irritants my skin.
For me Cerrave is to sticky, doesn't get absorbed well.  I hat that feeling.  But that's just me.  I'm sure it works great for others.  My husband likes it on his hands but not face.

Better Change

• Stubble
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2019, 08:03:35 AM »

I checked a number of Cerave products, and they all contain preservatives.  Mostly parabens and phenoxyethanol.  All consumer products that are easily infected require a preservative, though manufacturers use lots of tricks to hide what the actual preservative is.  Science!