Author Topic: What do you use instead of paper towels?  (Read 8383 times)

Eric222

• Pencil Stache
What do you use instead of paper towels?
« on: November 07, 2015, 06:44:41 AM »
I'm doing my usual Saturday morning cleaning (pre-library and pancakes got postponed until lunch...).  I feel like I use a ridiculous amount of paper towels. 

What does a savvy mustachian use instead?

justajane

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What do you use instead of paper towels?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2015, 06:47:43 AM »
I use crocheted dish cloths that I wash in the regular laundry. And regular ole tea towels. We reserve paper towels for bacon grease and uber-nasty stuff.

Malum Prohibitum

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2015, 07:07:18 AM »
My wife made cloth napkins with extra fabric we had lying around.  They look and feel pretty fancy compared to dragging raspy paper across my face.

cityfolks

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • domestic8
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2015, 07:20:48 AM »
Depends on the task. The two things I use the most are microfiber cloths, which are good for dusting, getting into cracks and crevices, and anything where smears might show. For scrubbier purposes I use the Trader Joe's pop-up sponges (http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/test-lab-trader-joes-popup-spo-84695) which I have found to be quite durable. I also have a pile of knit cotton dishcloths for bigger jobs, a few scrubbing brushes for various purposes, and tea towels for drying.

ambimammular

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2015, 07:44:44 AM »
Old t-shirts

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2015, 08:49:21 AM »
Washcloths purchased in bulk from Target or Costco.

I do usually have one roll of recycled-paper paper towels on hand for certain jobs but I no longer buy the 8-pack or whatever.

Jellyfish

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2015, 09:11:39 AM »
A second vote for crocheted dish cloths (Grandma loves being asked for more) in the kitchen, old cloth diapers for cleaning elsewhere.

Nancy

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2015, 09:48:44 AM »
I hadn't heard of crochet dishcloths, and I crochet. This is very exciting. Anyone have a favorite pattern?

I use cloth napkins, dish towels, steel wool, skoy, and microfiber cloths. I only use paper towel for cleaning the toilet.

Don Jean

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2015, 10:48:56 AM »
I recently experienced the same aghast feeling of waste when I was cleaning the house and watching the amount of paper towel waste accumulate. I purchased a set of flour sack towels from Amazon. The come in a pair and they are awesome, sturdy and washable. I'll be ordering another pair so that I have four around the house. Some will get grimy whereas others will be for regular kitchen use.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 02:39:19 AM by Don Jean »

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2015, 10:51:03 AM »
haha had the same feeling this morning doing my cleaning.  good post. thanks

birdie55

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2015, 11:36:57 AM »
I bought a bunch of white wash cloths and use them to wipe anything in the kitchen and bathroom.  I made cloth napkins for the table, just cut any fabric into 16 - 18 inch squares and fringed the edges by pulling out 1/2 inch of threads.  No sewing and easy to do while watching TV.  I also bought a few flour sack cloths for drying dishes. 

As I used them, I save all of these up all week in a plastic bin over my washing machine and wash weekly with all towels and anything else that needs washing in warm or hot. 

I do use paper towels occasionally, but as long as I have the cleaning cloths handy in the kitchen (in a bucket under the sink), I usually grab those first.  A roll of paper towels lasts me months. 

Quinn

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2015, 12:29:52 PM »
Tea towels or dish cloths. I only use paper towels for things that are really hard to wash off, like grease/oil stains.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2015, 01:01:46 PM »
Microfiber cloths from Home Depot that came in a pack of 15 or something for $9. Old hand towels. Old washcloth. I keep a big dish pan filled with 30 or 40 towels under my sink so I can grab as many as I need. I have another bin in the laundry room. I abhor the wate of papertowels.

Tom Bri

• Pencil Stache
  • More just cheap, than Mustachian
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2015, 04:31:05 PM »
cut up old tee-shirts and socks.

Mesmoiselle

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2015, 05:42:27 PM »
cut up old tee-shirts and socks.

I prefer the socks. Haven't bought rags in many years.

AgentCooper

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2015, 06:52:29 PM »
Ditto t-shirts. Old flannel shirts that all the kids have outgrown can be cut into interesting table napkins.

cityfolks

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • domestic8
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2015, 10:42:43 AM »
I hadn't heard of crochet dishcloths, and I crochet. This is very exciting. Anyone have a favorite pattern?

I use cloth napkins, dish towels, steel wool, skoy, and microfiber cloths. I only use paper towel for cleaning the toilet.

The pattern I've used the most for dishcloths is this one from the cotton yarn packaging: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/ballband-dishcloth. And KnitPicks has a whole year's worth of patterns at http://www.knitpicks.com/Patterns/52_Weeks_of_Free_Dishcloth_Pattern__L300256.html.

serpentstooth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2015, 10:46:31 AM »
Cloth baby diapers, cut up undershirts, 47 cent washcloths from Walmart, cotton dish towels and these microfiber washable paper towels, depending on the job. As a bonus, the paper core in the washable towels is really durable and the baby thinks they make a great toy.

http://www.amazon.com/Bamboo-Towels-Washable-Reusable-replaces/dp/B00KWBSDYC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1447004775&sr=8-1&keywords=bamboo+paper+towels

TrumanGrad

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2015, 03:45:50 PM »
Napkins - bought two 12 packs from Bed Bath and Beyond (use a coupon) - one pack in black and one in white - two years later they are still going strong

Dish cloths - bought pack from bed bath and beyond, used for cleaning tables and counters

Microfiber cloths from Costco - this has been my best investment - used for cleaning everywhere in the house - use dry to dust or wet to wipe surfaces (especially good at removing soap or other cleaners that you would use on countertops, tabletops, etc.). They have held up really well despite  being washed on the sanitary cycle of my washer with bleach.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2015, 05:26:24 PM »
Dust clothes:  cheap microfiber towels
Around the kitchen:  Cut up old polo shirts.  The all-cotton ones are great for this as they have a very scrubby texture.
Bathroom and floor spills:  Cut up old cotton towel.

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2015, 06:54:43 PM »
Tea towels or dish cloths. I only use paper towels for things that are really hard to wash off, like grease/oil stains.

This. We have a bunch of old tea towels that get used to mop up spills, wipe our greasy hands on etc and then they just get chucked in the wash along with our clothes. Works well. I only use paper towel for wiping out lots of oil in a frying pan before washing up or similar.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
What do you use instead of paper towels?
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2015, 07:02:32 PM »
Old washcloths and towels, and a few microfiber cloths for glass. When our bath towels and washcloths become disreputable they get put into the rag bin. If they are badly raveled or torn I mend or hem them so that they are good for more years. Just took a look at the pile and I am pretty sure I used one of the towels in grade school. I am 59.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2015, 07:19:54 PM »
Chux* for fridge, benches, bathroom, dusting, etc (I use a clean cloth for each task, wash the stash when I'm done).

Old t-shirts for polishing boots, wiping down outside furniture, wiping balcony rails (sometimes washed, sometimes tossed, depending on the task).

Paper towel for bathroom mirror (two sheets of paper towel each week), polishing the stove elements, cleaning the BBQ.

*https://www.masters.com.au/product/100519387/chux-superwipes-roll-100pk
I bought a roll when we got married six years ago. Still have half a roll, still reusing the same cloths.

frugaliknowit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2015, 07:58:12 PM »
Same as less4success.  Cut up rags.  Put into a separate bag for laundry.  Place in bottom of washer with a load of laundry.

Nancy

« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2015, 08:24:07 AM »
cityfolks, awesome! Thanks so much!

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2015, 12:58:41 PM »
Old homemade cloth baby wipes--basically 8 by 10 rectangles of flannel (sometimes backed with an old T-shirt, sometimes double layer of flannel, sometimes just 1 layer of flannel) that my mother edged on her serger.

For larger jobs, I just use a whole old dish towel.