Author Topic: What do you pay for internet service?  (Read 9484 times)

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What do you pay for internet service?
« Reply #50 on: May 24, 2018, 07:07:26 AM »
For those in ATT land, check out toast.net.  It is ATT service at a better price.  I learned about it here from Daley (I think).

If anyone wants a referral, send me a PM.

They provide other circuit types as well.  I had Frontier's DSL with Toast.Net in the past and currently they are providing me with cable.

Thanks!  I didn't know that.  Hope it helps others to save some $$$

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #51 on: May 24, 2018, 07:56:45 AM »
$70 for 60MB with Mediacom. Formerly was getting 100 MB for $60 but the discount ran out. Jerks.

Only other option for service is CenturyLink dsl which has a Max speed of 25MB for $45. Thinking about switching but I can't remember if streaming services suffer at that speed.

Sent from my H1623 using Tapatalk

I just ran a speed test. I got 22.9Mb download. We regularly run 3 Netflix and/or Hulu streams simultaneously with no troubles.

Agreed.  25MB is plenty for multiple streams.

yeah this is piles - we stream 2-3 streams with 5mb

Quality is compromised, but it is possible. Here are bandwidth requirements/recommendations per Netflix:

0.5 Megabits per second - Required broadband connection speed
1.5 Megabits per second - Recommended broadband connection speed
3.0 Megabits per second - Recommended for SD quality
5.0 Megabits per second - Recommended for HD quality
25 Megabits per second - Recommended for Ultra HD quality
"Ultra HD" to Netflix means 4K.  I can't imagine too many Mustachians are streaming in 4K, never mind multiple streams. :P  25mbps is plenty for multiple HD streams, assuming it's an otherwise solid connection (unfortunately not always a given).

The post I responded to was saying multiple streams at 5Mbps, which is going to be shitty.

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #52 on: May 24, 2018, 08:58:49 AM »
The post I responded to was saying multiple streams at 5Mbps, which is going to be shitty.
I would recommend a family select service of 5 Mpbs down per TV that would be used simultaneously with a streaming service; but even on just 5 Mbps, two streams at SD should be fine and four small screen streams could probably deliver acceptable results (360p or better).

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #53 on: May 26, 2018, 09:06:47 PM »
In the US I pay 74.95for cable only at 40/4 Mbps ... (no tv nor phone) - cheapest plan is 69.95 for 20 Mbps so I figured to get the 40 Mbps instead for extra 5 bucks! This is Central PA

In Portugal, I pay triple play (TV+Internet+Phone) where TV I have 250 channels, Internet is Fiber at 200/200 Mbps and Phone is landline free to 160 countries 24/7 and also free to cell phones from 9PM to 9AM ... I pay 24 dollars.

Gotta love the monopolies/oligopolies in the US

politenessman

• Stubble
  • http://techtofi.com/
    • Blogging our progress from disaster to FI
« Reply #54 on: May 26, 2018, 09:15:20 PM »
$49 for 1Gb up/down
NextLight internet

Fantastic but local only I believe

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #55 on: May 27, 2018, 07:50:38 AM »
I think cable companies are trying to figure out how to recapture lost revenue from the loss of cable subscription and the growth in streaming. Sucks!

... this is not at all an unreasonable thing for a business with multiple lines of income to be doing, you realize.

I'd love 60Mbit.  The only way I get that is a half grand a month and doing a long range (4 mile) wireless link, after convincing the local town to let me put wireless gear on their water tower.

You do choose to live out in the stix. You do realize it's a reasonable business decision for businesses not to offer you service because it's not cost effective? (I don't get why you jump to being pro business / anti-me in this thread).
It's not just the price that bothers me, it's the restriction from choosing a lower option. They push me into a ridiculously high option where it's the "same price" whether I use their internet or Internet+phone, or Internet + TV. The only reason I haven't added on their other services is that it would add about $20 in rental fees and taxes per month.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 07:52:43 AM by fuzzy math »