Author Topic: What do YOU drive?  (Read 53531 times)

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
Re: What do YOU drive?
« Reply #150 on: January 14, 2015, 07:56:03 PM »
What?

2003 Crown Victoria. 250k km, so 156k miles.

How much?

Canadian $2.5k + tax

Mustachian?

Yes and no. In hindsight it was the wrong vehicle. I love it.

We used to have a 2004 Civic but sadly it got 'crunched' recently, so now DW is driving the Vic to work. Not ideal.

Thing is, in Ontario, you pay tax on used cars, plus insurance on this car is really low - like, half that of the Civic.

So we're paying more in fuel, but saving on insurance, and saving from not having to buy a replacement car (Civic came first, then the Vic for when I needed a car, and then I kept it because it was not worth much and I love it... and now it's being used).

Tricky. We were looking at Corollas, Matrixes, etc up to ~$8, 9k, which after tax and wheels and snow tires would be $10-12k. Seems like just driving the Vic and spending an extra bit on fuel is the smarter thing to do in the mean time, until there is a nasty repair or my wife just can't take driving a boat to work any more :P

scottish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #151 on: January 14, 2015, 08:27:56 PM »
2004 Tacoma.   Which guzzles gasoline like a drunken sailor guzzles rum this time of year.   Argh.

MoneyStacher

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #152 on: January 14, 2015, 08:39:46 PM »
You can accelerate *too* slowly.  That sounds really low for a Fit (and if you compare it to what other people on www.fuelly.com are getting, it is way lower than what they get for the same year model).  If it isn't your driving style... I suspect something is wrong.
Okay I will try to get up to speed faster. And mine is a Sport so have the paddle shifters that let me go manual (sort of). Will try it out! Thanks!

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #153 on: January 14, 2015, 09:09:40 PM »
2008 audi a4.

Bought it used in 2011 for about 25kish with an extended warranty if I recall correctly. Paid cash. Can't really say that I regretted this purchase

You and me both, baby.

Cork

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #154 on: January 14, 2015, 09:18:09 PM »
You can accelerate *too* slowly.  That sounds really low for a Fit (and if you compare it to what other people on www.fuelly.com are getting, it is way lower than what they get for the same year model).  If it isn't your driving style... I suspect something is wrong.
Okay I will try to get up to speed faster. And mine is a Sport so have the paddle shifters that let me go manual (sort of). Will try it out! Thanks!

My two cents from both me and my pop having an 09 Fit.  We both get 35-36mph on the highway, however my commute involves the highway while his uses side roads - read "City" driving.  I tend to average 36 mpg combined per tank that fluctuates down to 32 when i have a lot of errands to do on the side rides.  While my pop gets averages 32 among all of his tanks of gas.   I guess I am trying to say that your average between 23 city and 36 highway may average out to just differences in driving style and transmission.  Also, I've heard that avoiding rpms above 3.5 prevents the VTEC from kicking in and thus saves gas.  Anyway, take my anecdotes with a grain of salt considering the sample size of 2!  :)

atromic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #155 on: January 14, 2015, 09:37:47 PM »
Thanks!  We have 2 100 lb Danes and a 70lb Weimaraner so we'd probably have to keep the seats folded all the time...which is fine because I don't drive other people much.  From pictures it looks like the second row is split folding?  I love the idea of the plastic too!

Not only does the back row split, but the front passenger seat drops flat too. I've hauled lumber for a fence project in it.

kiblebuka

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #156 on: January 15, 2015, 12:03:09 PM »
I thought I posted in here already but guess I imagined it...maybe for the better? I have a 2013 Ford Focus, bought new, has 15k miles on it now, financed for 5 years, still owe about $9k on it. It was a quick-and-necessary replacement car for my 2006 Saturn Ion that didn't want to turn off one night. 25mpg in the city, 33mpg on highway, about.

I plan to have it last for at least another 8 years before probably replacing it with the same thing, or similar. But used and cheaper.

bomgd3

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #157 on: January 15, 2015, 05:54:45 PM »
I have a pretty non-mustachian car.  2013 Ford Focus ST.  Purchased for $24k and financed for 6 years at 0%.  I could pay it off much sooner, but couldn't say no to 6 years of free financing.

Korder

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #158 on: January 29, 2015, 07:02:58 PM »
2002 Toyota 4Runner SR5

Paid $17k in 2007 when it had 50k miles, its up to 130k miles now with basically $0 in nonscheduled maintenance.

I've considered selling it for $6k (a nice effective cost of ownership thus far) to improve MPG from 20 to something in the low 30s, but decided the transaction cost was too high.  I'll keep the 4Runner (easily the most reliable car I've owned) until the repair cost exceeds its worth. 

madcityacct

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #159 on: January 29, 2015, 08:27:38 PM »
2006 Honda Civic EX - Manual

Purchased new in March 06 - don't remember exactly what I paid - but put it on the CC for points, then paid it off the next month. 

Been a one car family (of 4) since 2008...

act0fgod

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #160 on: January 30, 2015, 05:38:03 AM »
I currently drive a 1997 Hyundai Sonata that I bought for $500.

Here is the interesting part of this.  I'm in the US military living in Korea with lots of other Americans who drive POS Korean cars that cost under $2000.  Most of us are only here for a year.  Take the same group of people and put them back in the US and the vehicle landscape is very different with lots of new F999999 trucks with the biggest wheels they can find.  Admittedly the only people who have cars here in Korea are officers and senior enlisted (which is a small subset of cars on a military base back in the US).

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #161 on: January 30, 2015, 06:51:01 AM »
2008 Toyota RAV4 Sport.  We bought it new for roughly $28k, cash.  It has about 43200 miles on it.  Like most Toyotas it's extremely reliable and gets decent gas mileage for a little SUV.

jaye_p

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #162 on: January 30, 2015, 09:47:02 AM »
Me:  1999 VW Bug (never again!), bought used in 2006 for about $6,000 cash.
Dh:  1996 Honda Civic, bought used in 1998 for $10,000, financed for five years but paid off in three.

I think of the Civic as Moustachian, but not my car - repairs are always fiddly and expensive, and are hard to do without expert knowledge and pricey, one-time-use tools.  But I barely drive my car (2x/month on average), so that is fairly Moustachian at least.

Pigeon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #163 on: January 30, 2015, 11:00:33 AM »
Now I'm in a quandary.  Dh's 89 year old mother has finally agreed to stop driving, after her doctor gave her a lecture about it and threatened to contact DMV to make her take a test.

She wants to give us her car, a lovely 2008 Fit with 18,000 miles on it.  Dh can't take it as his regular car.  He's too tall and has back problems that flare up if he doesn't sit up perfectly straight.  I've got a 2010 Corolla that is long paid off and I like very much.  Dh can't drive that, either.  I also have a 17 teen year old daughter... 

Schaefer Light

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #164 on: January 30, 2015, 11:22:56 AM »
TaylorMade R7 9.5 degrees, stiff shaft.

jms493

• Stubble
« Reply #165 on: January 30, 2015, 12:14:57 PM »
2001 Jeep Cherokee 4x4 - 150K miles
2015 Subaru Legacy - 8K Miles

Both paid for...we will never have auto debt again.

pete5306

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #166 on: January 30, 2015, 01:15:27 PM »
Me - 2009 Vibe 5 speed 99K miles for $6500  Paid off

Wife - 2012 Altima bought new for $18k.  Financed through her parents, and is almost paid off now.  She had one before that she got new when she was 16 and traded that in after 13 strong years for a brand new one.  Talk about brand loyalty.  It is a good car, especially for road trips with the huge gas tank, never have to stop!

I used to have a 2010 fusion that I bought as my “first real car” after having a 1996 Olds Cutlass Ciera all through college.  AWD and leather v6.  At the time I was researching Vibe’s, Malibu’s and Fusion’s.  I stopped into a dealership and tried out the Fusion after driving my rickety Ciera up.  Hopped into the heated seats, got the Bluetooth working and I was hooked.  Next thing I know I am signing on to a 5 year 100% financed car.   All of a sudden I had a car I had to worry about, rather than my golf carty Ciera that I would leave unlocked with the keys in it.  It added a mental burden on me.  That was November 2012.  June 2013 started biking to work, July found MMM, September sold the Fusion at a small loss and picked up the Vibe.  My only regret is that I let the Ciera go…

Goodbye my friend….

southernhippie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #167 on: February 01, 2015, 07:08:17 AM »
2008 toyota prius 115,000
2011 chevy malibu 75,000

paid for, never a car loan again

khotte

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Badass Mustachian Twins!
« Reply #168 on: February 01, 2015, 07:16:34 AM »
2005 Civic LX w/ 115,000 miles. Bought for $6k cash and will keep it until it dies.

sunshine

• Stubble
« Reply #169 on: February 01, 2015, 07:21:09 AM »
2009 Silverado .  Paid cash in 2012. It had 9000 miles on it and we paid $19,000.

2010 Pontiac g6. Paid cash in 2010. It had 11,400 miles on it and we paid $12,000.

We like to buy gently used and keep them a long time.

Mustachian?????

Most would probably say no with that big truck. We haul wood and a paid cash boat and camper with it. We camp a lot.

MustachianMD

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • MustachianMD
« Reply #170 on: February 01, 2015, 10:11:55 AM »
Subaru Legacy 2006, bought it new when I moved to upstate NY from Chicago. My old car would not have made it through the unplowed roads, so the AWD was really helpful at those 2am drives home through unplowed roads.

I don't recall exactly how much I bought it for it, I think 23K. I bought it on a "financed plan" with 0% interest.

It was not mustachian when I bought it, but every day that I drive it, it gets more mustachian. Hoping to keep the car at least another 3 years, if not longer.

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #171 on: February 01, 2015, 10:25:32 AM »
My car: 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid.  Bought new in Jan. 2011 on clearance for cash.  Average 39 mpg.  I use it for my daily commute (which works out to 19 miles per day round-trip) as well as road trips when necessary.
My wife's car: 2003 VW New Beetle.  Bought new in 2003 for cash.  Average 33 mpg.  It is the only car my wife has ever owned and she needs it because her work requires her to travel long distances throughout the state.  She gets reimbursed for mileage, though.

Maxsc2003

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #172 on: February 01, 2015, 10:37:00 AM »
None, and loving it! We live in NYC and take the subway or walk :-) Even better, my monthly unlimited subway pass is paid for by my employer.

For those few times we go somewhere outside the city that we need a car for, we rent (5 times in 2014 for an average of $250 per rental lasting 4-7 days typically).

wearfannypacks

• Stubble
    • My Journal
« Reply #173 on: August 09, 2015, 07:41:49 PM »
2006 Scion xB. I love it to death. I need to do some sound improvements (it's a loud drive on the highways).

I paid cash.

Somewhere around ~11k I think used a few years ago. I'm not positive, but still have never had a car payment!

old thread I know, but eyepod. Curious how you do sound improvments to make highway driving quiter.

freeedom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #174 on: August 09, 2015, 07:44:40 PM »
2008 honda civic with 100k miles

Thinkum

• Pencil Stache
  • Life is Good
« Reply #175 on: August 09, 2015, 08:43:34 PM »
What do you drive (if you own a vehicle)?

2006 Toyota Prius

How much did you pay, and did you finance or pay it all at once?

It was around $12K with 69K miles on it, purchased in '13. I financed around $9K at 1.99%. I can pay it off anytime, but prefer not to since it's costing me so little compared to what my investments are making me. However, I will most likely have to pay it off soon.

Do you feel your vehicle situation is mustachian?

Most definitely. I could have gotten any number of "funner" cars, but chose the Prius since I've always liked them. Sure I miss driving with a manual trans and taking corners quicker, but I much rather take the low cost of ownership. The overall versatility of a hatch is the reason I have always had a hatch. Put the seats down on the Prius and it's amazing what you can't fit in there!

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #176 on: August 09, 2015, 09:01:39 PM »
2006 Scion xB. I love it to death. I need to do some sound improvements (it's a loud drive on the highways).

I paid cash.

Somewhere around ~11k I think used a few years ago. I'm not positive, but still have never had a car payment!

old thread I know, but eyepod. Curious how you do sound improvments to make highway driving quiter.

You can put in more sound deadening material, like Dynamat. Also, some tires are louder than others. Or you could have a broken muffler that's really loud and needs to be replaced.

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #177 on: August 09, 2015, 11:02:03 PM »
Dynamat is heavy to do properly - you're adding a few hundred pounds to the car for a full layer, plus you have to literally remove the entire interior.  It makes a huge difference, though!

okonumiyaki

• Stubble
« Reply #178 on: August 10, 2015, 12:24:38 AM »
With all the car threads about fixing payment situations, I'm curious to hear what the long time mustachians are driving.  So, here are a few questions.

2002 Lexus IS200

About 10k USD, all at once

Yes and no.  It is a lovely car, extremely reliable, cheap to maintain (toyota parts fit, no need to pay lexus prices) and fun to drive, and I've done >100,000km in it.  It isn't fuel efficient....  But God meant for cars to be inline 6, non-turbo and rear wheel drive! 

dess1313

• Bristles
« Reply #179 on: August 10, 2015, 01:05:34 AM »
New mustachian here.  I drive a 98 Toyota Corolla.  252k kms on it.  Gifted from family who bought it new.  Always taken care of, needs some repairs every year but usually less than $1k total. 

Love it but have problems with some hobbies its just not big enough.  Putting in large tanks and equipment bags makes it groan and i barely have enough room.  I'm thinking of an upgrade in cars.  Maybe not a super mustachian move.  But i have been watching for used ones.  Its also year end so some deals are good right now.  Thinking of a Mazda CX5 or Subaru outback.  If anyone who has one has feedback i'd love to hear it!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 01:07:53 AM by dess1313 »

mpg350

• Stubble
« Reply #180 on: August 10, 2015, 05:09:56 AM »

2006 Toyota Rav4 Ltd

I bought used for 16k and I financed I believe 9k for 4 years...car has been paid for now for nearly 2 years.

Yes for me it is... it gets decent gas mileage avg 24 around town and I use for towing and other things so it is very multi use.

For the future I have my eye on a Mazda CX5.....like the Rav but would get a avg mpg around 28-29 range so would save around $500 a year in gas.  Would buy use for under 16k and pay cash....I never want a car payment again.

RunHappy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #181 on: August 10, 2015, 06:16:29 AM »

2012 Ford Focus hatchback bought in 2014 @42k miles

Purchase price $11k
I ended up buying the extended warranty so total price was around $13.

No financing, I wrote a check.

Yes.  If I pay real attention to how I drive I can get almost 40mpg, but on average I get around 34mpg which is a vast improvement over the Lexus I got rid of.  I have had a couple of small problems with it, but the extended warranty so far has taken care of all of it.  It currently has 47k miles on it, so I clearly don't drive a lot.

I'm very happy with the car, it suits all my needs. The seats lay flat in the back and I can fit a ton of stuff back there.  With snow tires it is a beast in the winter.  I'm hoping to get 10 years out of it (although most people think that is unrealistic). 

After driving it a while, I realize I could have gotten a cheaper, older car with a little higher mileage , but it was the first real used car I had ever bought so I was cautious.

I still have a car payment because I financed my father's car (1.9%) and am making the payments for him, but that will be paid off next year.  I could pay it off now, but at 1.9% I really don't see the point and want to focus on my 401k and other investments.

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #182 on: August 10, 2015, 12:06:53 PM »
2014 Versa Note. 

Bought new at the end of model year sale last summer for $14,000Can cash all in, taxes and an extended warranty for another 4 years added to the original 3 year warranty.  We traded in a 2007 Versa, and got top KBB value for it.  No face punches - we didn't *need* a new car, but I have the beginnings of macular degeneration, and might be effectively blind in 10 years.   We have watched my Mom go down this road already, and hubby was determined that I would have a nice, shiny new car for what is possibly my last car ever.   The salesman did say he hadn't see anyone negotiate as good a deal as I got for that model car, and I don't think he was exaggerating.   We had friends buy the same car from another dealership, and they paid thousands more.

I love hatchbacks.  And the new Note gets super mileage, better than the old one, which I thought was pretty good.   It's not a fancy car, but it gets me where I want to go, and I love the sapphire blue color.   Our son has already called dibbs on it, should we decide to unoad it one day.  (part of the reason we added the extended warranty - it's transferable to family members).

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #183 on: August 10, 2015, 12:23:30 PM »
With the old car (2006 Honda Accord @92k) gone, I've now got a 2006 Hyundai Sonata with about 45k miles on it.

Jesstache

• Stubble
« Reply #184 on: August 10, 2015, 12:40:20 PM »
2006 Honda Pilot EX-L 4WD bought 2 years ago with 38k miles for $16k (paid cash).  Now it has about 52k miles.  I write off 80% of that mileage for work.  Probably not the most mustachian but I don't regret it for one second.  It's our main family car (two adults, two kids ages 2 and 4 and 100 lb dog).  We frequently have out of town guests (about 1-2 times per month) and we use it for frequent outdoorsy adventures and road trips.  Lots of room for hauling kid gear and sports equipment.  Plus my husband and I work together (except I'm an independent contractor, he's direct) so 90% of the time there are no less than 4 people riding in it at one time on the way to daycare/work.  I will likely downsize to a subaru wagon or similar hatchback some day when car seats aren't involved in my life any more.

My husband has a 2007 4 door Jeep Wrangler (bought brand new for cash in 2007, has about 40k miles).  It doesn't get a lot of action because we use my vehicle most of the time (for the tax write-off and better gas mileage).  In the last 2-3 years he's probably put 1-2k miles a year on it.  He will never sell it though so 2 vehicles is how it shall be (and I'm okay with that since it's what really makes him happy).

coffeehound

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #185 on: August 10, 2015, 02:02:26 PM »
2013 Volkswagen Golf TDI

Paid $30K, put $17K down, financed(ouch!!) $13K over 5 years, paid off in 18 months.

If I didn't have a ridiculous clown commute, then, yes, the car would be mustachian.  In Southern CA right now, diesel is running about $1.50/gallon cheaper than gas.  And my lovely car, that I still think is a total blast to drive, got 46 mpg on the way to work this morning.

Like the Audi owner above, I don't regret for ONE minute buying the car - driving it is a joy.

frompa

• Bristles
« Reply #186 on: August 10, 2015, 07:47:59 PM »
Mostly my 20+ year old Cannondale touring bike.  It's so goddamn old and so am I, that I don't remember exactly how old it is.  I believe I paid about $1k for it (a sum which was quite considerable a thousand years ago, at the time of purchase.)  I consider this an extremely mustachian vehicle.  In fact, I love riding this bike, even when it rains like it did today. 

more4less

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #187 on: August 10, 2015, 07:58:33 PM »
2008 BMW 328i Coupé which I really enjoy...
But I also have car from my college days - 1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse with 200k miles. The question is - should I sell it? It costs me about extra hundred per year on insurance. But what really stops me is that KBB value is like $800 which I find super low for such a great car! And I'm not mentioning memories about adventures we went on together... :-\ Facepunch please!

CU Tiger

• Bristles
« Reply #188 on: August 10, 2015, 08:23:55 PM »
2009 Honda Fit.

Purchased with cash.

It is mustachian to me. Small car with more space inside than you would think. We have driven it from here to SC many times full of suitcases and dogs without feeling too cramped. Good gas mileage, low maintenance costs, and good reliability.

Vagabond76

• Stubble
« Reply #189 on: August 10, 2015, 09:12:33 PM »
1979 VW SuperBeetle convertible

$10,000 cash

Doubt it, but it does give me an early retirement hobby.

LanceThrustington

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #190 on: August 10, 2015, 10:46:52 PM »
MY14 Mitsubishi Triton GLX+ 4WD Dual Cab Diesel Manual.

Paid $29,000 Australian Pesos Cash new(plus another couple of grand in farkles in the first 6months of ownership)
Currently 17,000kms.

Wish I had gone for something about 10-15k cheaper but after having allot of costly bad luck with a series of
used cars in a row I was fed up.

Will only make close to financial sense if I keep it for a loooong time. So thats the plan.

aetherie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #191 on: August 11, 2015, 06:52:02 AM »

2005 Honda Insight (hybrid, 2 seater, ~65k miles)

I bought it from my parents for about $6k, which was the blue book value as of last year. I paid it all at once.

Yes, because:
(a) it's 10 years old and still in fantastic shape
(b) it gets >50 mpg
(c) we're a household of 2 working adults but only have 1 car (I bike to work)

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #192 on: August 11, 2015, 07:04:44 AM »
2014 Nissan Leaf S w/QC (100% electric)  and  2015 Nissan Leaf S w/QC (100% electric)

So far I've paid about -$10000 and -$7000 for them. And will gradually build that up to $13,500 each over the next 5 years at 0% interest.

It's electric, so I spend about 1 cent per mile on electricity instead of about 12 cents per mile in gas with the efficient Corolla I used to have. And there's almost no maintenance to do (no engine oil, no transmission, etc). The cars save a ton of money. Plus, with all the tax credits, I'm borrowing money at 0% and investing it.

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/share-your-badassity/nissan-leaf-almost-paying-me-to-drive-it/