Author Topic: What do YOU drive?  (Read 53534 times)

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
  • Live on minimum wage, earn on maximum
Re: What do YOU drive?
« Reply #100 on: January 13, 2015, 09:13:55 AM »
Ran into a guy driving a 2000 Honda Insight last night.  He restores and flips them.  He wanted 4K for one with 180K on it.   

His mileage = 60mpg.  Sweet, so at today's 1.77 gas price he is spending about 3 cents per mile in fuel.  My annual fuel cost would be around $300 at that rate. 

He says he can get 90 mpg when hypermiling and grid charging a couple of times per year.  Apparently grid charging is good for the batteries if used in limited bouts?

olivia

• Pencil Stache
  • From Consumerism to Minimalism
« Reply #101 on: January 13, 2015, 09:40:01 AM »
2014 Prius, it was about $23k.  I did get a loan but it's 0%.  I love the car and the mileage is fantastic, but I do regret the purchase and have considered selling it or trading it in for a cheaper car.  I went carless for about 4 years and I think I just went bonkers when I moved to a smaller metro area and "needed" a car. 

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #102 on: January 13, 2015, 09:58:38 AM »
2006 Toyota Matrix (hatchback) - bought new, paid cash ~$17k
2009 Honda Civic - bought new, paid cash ~$18k (would have preferred a used car but our prior one was totaled in an accident and weren't really willing to wait to find the right one)

2 kids
Carpool with one adult/ 4 kids fairly often.

I consider them to be mustachian, and plan to keep them forever (hoping 20 years each?)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 10:00:22 AM by mm1970 »

cynthia1848

• Stubble
« Reply #103 on: January 13, 2015, 10:04:14 AM »
I like un-mustachianing up the curve:
I drive a 2015 Audi A3 (lease, for work)
DH drives a 2013 Infiniti G37 (lease, for work)
Nanny drives a 2008 Acura MDX with the kids.  Also the weekend car if we have all 3 kids.  We own that, paid cash for it in 2011.

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #104 on: January 13, 2015, 10:13:51 AM »
2006 Scion xB. I love it to death. I need to do some sound improvements (it's a loud drive on the highways).

I paid cash.

Somewhere around ~11k I think used a few years ago. I'm not positive, but still have never had a car payment!

caliq

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #105 on: January 13, 2015, 10:14:46 AM »
My cars are terrible :(

2010 Ford Fusion Sport AWD.  42k miles
~22 mpg
Bought used (20k mi) for ~22k in 2012, DH financed ~16k before we married -- current balance @ 11.7k, paying $283/mo @ 3%

2004 Chevy Suburban Z (not sure on the model, it's the off road/towing package fancypants one)
~12 mpg on a good day
Bought used (205k mi) for 3.8k in Aug 2014, paid cash. 

Not mustachian at all.  I have a lot of complainypants reasons for them:

- Disabled hubby is no longer allowed to drive per doctor's orders, but does not feel comfortable being home all day without an option to drive for 'emergencies' (grrr!)
- Disability is a new/evolving situation so giving lots of leeway as he adjusts
- I carpool for free to school with my aunt so Fusion's poor MPG is not a huge negative at the moment; this also means DH is actually home with 2 cars most days
- Suburban only gets driven 1-2x a week for dog/big stuff transport (we have 3 ~100+ lb dogs and while we have fit them all + us in the Fusion once or twice, its' really not safe - can you say distracted driving?!)
- We do live in a non-walkable, barely bikable area; one car is definitely necessary

If I can convince DH, I really want to downsize to one smaller SUV or big wagon that would be at least as fuel efficient as the Fusion.  I was thinking Chevy HHR or Ford Freestyle but have some reservations based on reviews -- probably just have to bite the bullet and go test drive to see what I think. 

NeuroPlastic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #106 on: January 13, 2015, 10:18:52 AM »
My semi-mustachian ride is:
2007 Yaris Hatchback, 5-Speed Standard, 60k miles.
Paid $6000 cash last summer in a private sale.
Easy to maintain, easy to clean, surprisingly roomy for a car that is so easy to park, and fun drive.
The kids love it.
38 to 48 MPG depending on road conditions and traffic.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #107 on: January 13, 2015, 10:20:02 AM »
Mostly my wife crazy.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #108 on: January 13, 2015, 10:28:48 AM »
My cars are terrible :(

2010 Ford Fusion Sport AWD.  42k miles
~22 mpg
Bought used (20k mi) for ~22k in 2012, DH financed ~16k before we married -- current balance @ 11.7k, paying $283/mo @ 3%

2004 Chevy Suburban Z (not sure on the model, it's the off road/towing package fancypants one)
~12 mpg on a good day
Bought used (205k mi) for 3.8k in Aug 2014, paid cash. 

Not mustachian at all.  I have a lot of complainypants reasons for them:

- Disabled hubby is no longer allowed to drive per doctor's orders, but does not feel comfortable being home all day without an option to drive for 'emergencies' (grrr!)
- Disability is a new/evolving situation so giving lots of leeway as he adjusts
- I carpool for free to school with my aunt so Fusion's poor MPG is not a huge negative at the moment; this also means DH is actually home with 2 cars most days
- Suburban only gets driven 1-2x a week for dog/big stuff transport (we have 3 ~100+ lb dogs and while we have fit them all + us in the Fusion once or twice, its' really not safe - can you say distracted driving?!)
- We do live in a non-walkable, barely bikable area; one car is definitely necessary

If I can convince DH, I really want to downsize to one smaller SUV or big wagon that would be at least as fuel efficient as the Fusion.  I was thinking Chevy HHR or Ford Freestyle but have some reservations based on reviews -- probably just have to bite the bullet and go test drive to see what I think.
Toyota 4Runner?

Spoom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #109 on: January 13, 2015, 10:32:44 AM »
2003 Chevy Impala, 280K or so miles.  Not mustachian, but I inherited it, so it's at least fully paid.  We intend to replace it and my wife's 2005 Sable with 2007-ish Priuses as we save enough money (car purchase #1 should be next month!)

caliq

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #110 on: January 13, 2015, 10:34:50 AM »

Toyota 4Runner?

Those were on the list prior to buying the Suburban -- thanks for reminding me!  They get a bit less MPG than the Fusion or one of the big wagony things would, but I'd guess the longevity/lower maintenance makes up for it especially considering how little driving we do?  My dad is a mechanic-ish and was pushing us that direction based on how long they last.

Daffy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #111 on: January 13, 2015, 01:26:07 PM »
I love seeing all the Subaru comments. I had a '97 Subaru Impreza that lasted me for five years with minimal problems (until the end). I paid $2,880 for it from a nice older couple. That was a steal! And then I sold it for $400. My poor little baby...

As for now, my wife and I own a 1990 Mazda Miata (the fun car) and a 2014 Honda Civic that we purchased brand new for $16,500. We're going to drive that Civic until it dies. It gets around 38mpg on the highway with normal driving.

Used low-mile Civics in our area were around $13,000. So I said screw it, for another $3,000 I am buying new because I want to make sure it's taken care of perfectly from the start. Maybe not the most ideal financial decision but hey, we like it. :)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 01:41:12 PM by Daffy »

b4u2

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #112 on: January 13, 2015, 02:19:52 PM »
Mostly my wife crazy.

Took me a few seconds then about fell out of my chair laughing so hard.

dunhamjr

• Stubble
  • mustachian in training est. July 14
« Reply #113 on: January 13, 2015, 02:55:50 PM »
truly not all that Mustachian, but i am new since i only found MMM around July 2014.

my own daily isnt too bad.
2004 Saab 9-5 Wagon.  manual because its badass. :D
but it takes premium fuel, and only gets about 20mpg. :(
I do however only drive about 2k miles a year... so there is that.  Plus its been 100% paid for since the day I got it almost 3 yrs ago, when I traded in two cars WITH loans(and some equity) for one fully paid off car.

my wife drives a 2013 VW Jetta Wagon TDI.
good mileage at 33mpg mostly city.  but diesel is expensive.  and its a very nice car, too nice really.  full of leather, heated seats, bluetooth fanciness, with a huge panoramic sunroof and a DSG transmission.
owned it 1 yr, financed at a great rate, but not paid off... so time to rethink this.
nearly the opposite of Mustachian really.

we DONT need two wagons.  we do need a car that can carry the family however, so i need at least one medium sized wagon and SUV.  2 parents, 2 kids, 2 50# dogs... plus on the weekend grandma and another pup are often in tow.

so the plan at this point is to drop the wifes car. its still needs to be relatively new and relatively nice, since she is a bit of a complainypants.  so i have been looking at newer, used small-ish hatchback economy cars in the $10-15k range... a big cut from the essentially $30k Jetta Wagon she now drives.

jopiquant

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #114 on: January 13, 2015, 03:00:54 PM »
When we drive, we drive our 2003 Subaru Impreza, bought used, for the princely sum of $4800 cash and transfer tax. It's our most expensive car to date. We put about 500 km on it a month, and we've spent $200 on repairs and maintenance in the year we've had it. Came with four snow tires on rims.

Before this we had a succession of Civics, all paid cash, the newest of which was a 1998 bought in 2010.

When we want to just look at a car, we open the garage. DH's first car, a 1970 Mustang fastback, sits there. It doesn't run or drive. He bought in North Carolina in 1994, drove it to Las Vegas in 1998 and from Seattle to Vancouver when we moved to Canada in 2007. It needs a bunch of little stuff to pass BC inspection, so it sat for six months and when we bought our house, it didn't start anymore. It's been in the garage since the tow truck put it there. :(

One day we'll do something about it, but I haven't been able to convince him yet. In the meantime, it costs us nothing but the opportunity to park our running vehicle in an enclosed space, which is nbd, since it rarely snows.

Mustachian? Not really, given the gas mileage, but it's utilitarian for our needs and the dogs, and we will never carry a car loan.

AlwaysBeenASaver

• Bristles
« Reply #115 on: January 13, 2015, 03:08:26 PM »
Not a Mustachian car, but I only discovered the whole Mustachian thing a week ago:

2013 Rav4, paid a little less than $30K including taxes/fees - can't remember the exact total; paid cash, no loan.
35K miles on it now.
Averages 25MPG normally for me (about half city, half highway including some stop and go and some at high speed each day)
Averages around 28MPG on longer highway trips

imbros

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #116 on: January 13, 2015, 03:14:47 PM »
2006 SAAB 9-3 Sedan. Picked it up for $4k 6 months ago and spent $1k for repairs and maintenance. I was able to get it for $4k because the lady did not want to deal with maintenance and fixing a few minor things and she wanted to sell it ASAP. Crazy.

The first owner paid $28K for it in the summer of 2006.

It is the ultimate Mustachian near-luxury car in my book.

Armer Student

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #117 on: January 13, 2015, 03:33:38 PM »
1988 Mercedes 190E. I love it. It's older than me but in a better shape. ;)

It was a gift, but needed some repairs. I did a lot myself and/or with help from the local workshop, so I paid approx. 3500€ (cash of course) on repairs, maintenance and eight new tires over the last two years.

It's not the most mustachian of all cars, but at 12-13ct/km (including all variable costs) it's not that bad, either. Most important to me is the comfort on long-distance trips (~650km, which I drive every four to six weeks) and I really like the old-schoolness of an 80s Benz.

dunhamjr

• Stubble
« Reply #118 on: January 13, 2015, 03:38:36 PM »
2006 SAAB 9-3 Sedan. Picked it up for $4k 6 months ago and spent $1k for repairs and maintenance. I was able to get it for $4k because the lady did not want to deal with maintenance and fixing a few minor things and she wanted to sell it ASAP. Crazy.

not bad.
the window sticker from my 04 Saab 9-5 came in the manual.  in 2004 with options, it stickered for over $40k... i bought it in May 2012 for $4k.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #119 on: January 13, 2015, 09:01:36 PM »
2008 Audi A4 convertible.  Bought it used, paid cash.  It's not mustachian, but I love it, and it is the last car I will ever own, so I'm happy that it's one that gives me so much pleasure.

Hi fellow  Audi-ite!  I  have an A4 as well, 2011, bought new, with cash.  Think it was $42,000.  Definitely not Mustachian.

I have to say, my Audi is the one thing I've purchased where my enjoyment of the item hasn't gone down much since the original excitement wore off.  Damn, I like that car.

stlbrah

• Bristles
« Reply #120 on: January 13, 2015, 09:15:36 PM »
2008 audi a4.

Bought it used in 2011 for about 25kish with an extended warranty if I recall correctly. Paid cash. Can't really say that I regretted this purchase

jlu27

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #121 on: January 14, 2015, 03:24:13 AM »
Another one in the Audi camp. 2007 Audi A3 brought last year. Cost equivalent approx US$ 12,000. Had to borrow some money from my parents, but paid off within a month. Non-mustachian but really enjoy driving it.

guitar_stitch

• Bristles
« Reply #122 on: January 14, 2015, 07:13:22 AM »
Oooh boy....

1984 Dodge D150 - $3500 Cash, used for pulling a trailer and making money ONLY.
2006 Honda Element - $11,000 Financed, paid off in 2 years.  Used for dogs and smaller gigs.  Makes money.
1996 Saturn SL2 - $1000 Cash, Daily driver.  Not fancy, but decent.

gt7152b

• Stubble
« Reply #123 on: January 14, 2015, 07:42:47 AM »
'03 Nissan 350Z with less than 80,000 miles. Not very frugal but it does average about 28mpg and I plan to keep it forever.
'99 Saab 9-5 Wagon that I got for $4k several years ago. It needed alot of TLC for the first few years but is pretty low maintenance now that I've gotten all the problems straightened out and I don't drive it much. I can get over 30mpg pretty easily and this is a fun car to drive with the suspension upgrades I made.
'14 Subaru Forester XT. Not the smartest purchase but it does so many things well. It is our family hauler that can get up to 36mpg on certain trips, will go pretty much anywhere, and has some serious muscle when you want to drive fast.

Cars are a weakness for me but I tend to keep them a really long time and take care of maintenance and repairs myself. I really considered selling the Z last year because it seems so wasteful to have 3 cars especially with my wife not working and me biking to work about half the time. I weighed it back and forth but it will only cost me a couple of months extra working to cover the cost to "buy" it now and pay for future taxes and insurance forever. I'm willing to pay that price for a lifetime of sports car ownership (bought it when I was 26).

gt7152b

• Stubble
« Reply #124 on: January 14, 2015, 07:49:52 AM »

not bad.
the window sticker from my 04 Saab 9-5 came in the manual.  in 2004 with options, it stickered for over $40k... i bought it in May 2012 for $4k.

Ha, see my post just above. I guess $4k is the standard price for a Saab regardless of year or model. I know I was happy to be paying 1/10 the new price for a car with 118,000 miles at the time.

MoneyStacher

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #125 on: January 14, 2015, 08:40:02 AM »
2010 Honda Fit. Purchased used with 9K miles three years ago for 14.5K. Car now has 16K miles on it.

MPG City: 23
MPG Hwy: 36

NOT happy with the city mpg. I take off slow and coast in neutral when possible. I baby that accelerator but still only 23.

I'm liking the Yaris comments. I've got too  much equity in my car (according to a MMM post) so thinking of a Yaris or Scion xA.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #126 on: January 14, 2015, 08:58:32 AM »
you can't really become mustachian unless you are willing to admit your faults, right?

I drive a 2005 compact pick-up, and I get a crappy 22mpg during the best of times. It's nearing the 200k mark.
The bad: 22mpg, i no longer need to own a pick-up
The good: I bought it used, I paid cash, I drive about 6,000 miles/year with no daily commute.

I've been looking at selling it and buying something more fuel efficient, but I keep stumbling over the fact that I would likely only get ~$4k for it, and most of the cars I would consider buying are around the $7-9k mark.  Even if I doubled the fuel efficiency to 40+mpg it would take me 7-10 years to recoup the cost at $3.25/gal.  We're considerably lower than that now, so the financial incentive is even less.

Still, i feel like a douche every time I have to drive it by myself.

mskyle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #127 on: January 14, 2015, 09:05:39 AM »
2007 Toyota Yaris 3-door with just over 100,000 miles. I get around 36mpg. I paid $8700 cash for it five years ago (it only had about 36,000 miles on it then, I think). I once fit a flat-packed Queen-size bed (not mattress) from Ikea in that car without even having to take it out of the box! I used to use it for a 50 mile roundtrip daily commute but now I only drive it when I need to get out of town and for the occasional lazy grocery trip.

rubybeth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #128 on: January 14, 2015, 09:20:41 AM »
2005 Ford Focus sedan purchased in 2010 with about 50,000 miles on it for about $6,500 (plus we got a weird Presidents Day promo for a 'free' $500 flat screen television since we bought at a Ford dealer, which was kind of a fun bonus and we'd never have bought one).

2000 Acura TL purchased in 2012 with about 110,000 miles on it for about $7,500.

Both were purchased with our savings, no financing. The Focus replaced my DH's car from high school that had major non-fixable issues, and the TL replaced my beloved Saturn SL2 that was finicky about starting and I needed something more reliable.

I feel the Focus is probably more 'mustachian' than the TL, but I don't give a crap. I wanted at least one our vehicles to have traction control for our icy Minnesota winters, and the older model luxury cars came standard with that feature, and it's been worth it to us. I don't care about all wheel drive or whatever, but traction control has literally saved my life more times than I want to think about.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #129 on: January 14, 2015, 09:32:49 AM »
2010 Honda Fit. Purchased used with 9K miles three years ago for 14.5K. Car now has 16K miles on it.

NOT happy with the city mpg. I take off slow and coast in neutral when possible. I baby that accelerator but still only 23.

I'm liking the Yaris comments. I've got too  much equity in my car (according to a MMM post) so thinking of a Yaris or Scion xA.

You can accelerate *too* slowly.  That sounds really low for a Fit (and if you compare it to what other people on www.fuelly.com are getting, it is way lower than what they get for the same year model).  If it isn't your driving style... I suspect something is wrong.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #130 on: January 14, 2015, 09:45:23 AM »

You can accelerate *too* slowly.  That sounds really low for a Fit (and if you compare it to what other people on www.fuelly.com are getting, it is way lower than what they get for the same year model).  If it isn't your driving style... I suspect something is wrong.

I would suspect a problem as well with that fuel economy. But I also second that you might be accelerating too slowly. The sooner you can get up to your optimal cruising speed the better (as long as you aren't revving the engine too high or spinning the tires). You'll save most your fuel by anticipating deceleration such that you can avoid using your brakes as much as possible.

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #131 on: January 14, 2015, 10:00:50 AM »

Yes, the goal (with a gas engine, diesel is different) is to accelerate at a pace that minimizes pumping losses (by opening the throttle more), yet doesn't cause shift RPMs to rise too much over the best brake specific fuel consumption number between shifts.  All very challenging in an automatic since they tend to wind up the RPMs well before the ideal throttle opening is reached, but very easy in a manual.  In a manual, also be wary of sliding into the WOT fuel enrichment range (as it may start below wide open throttle).

MustardTiger

• Stubble
« Reply #132 on: January 14, 2015, 10:35:15 AM »
I drive a 2002 Acura RSX that was purchased new in 2002 as a gift for going to college from my parents.  105k miles.  While i love this car and want to keep it forevor; the facepunches are indeed coming.  My work is 1 mile from my house and I usually drive (facepunch 1)

My wife drives a 2013 Hyundai Elantra purchased new.  We owe are 9k at 2.9%.  Other than the obvious new car facepunch it is pretty economical to operate.

We are thinking about having kids soon, and she is starting to hint at wanting an SUV or minivan.  My plan is to be supportive but offer to save up for any future purchases in cash instead of financing, hoping that will keep costs down.

Evelle

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #133 on: January 14, 2015, 10:59:14 AM »
2013 Geely CK2.  Got it brand new from the dealer for about 8k dollars (price was in our national currency). Half of it – in cash, another half – from the loan. Originally loan was for 60 month's, but I paid it off in 15. 
Is it mustachian? Partly. I got it new with the full package – air conditioning, ABS, electronics. Not mustachian.  But for its price counting all its got – I think its OK.   (When I was getting it lots of my friends said to me something like “why are you getting that cheap Chinese car? Are you poor? You should go for something  like Ford, Toyota, Mazda (long list of names that costs x3  money for the same options  with different brand name. I kept my mind.)”. 
 Its reliable, doing around 42 mpg, parts are not expensive (when I will need them, but from the moment of purchase I got zero problems with the car) – so I like it and plan to use it for long time.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #134 on: January 14, 2015, 11:28:30 AM »
2013 Geely CK2.  Got it brand new from the dealer for about 8k dollars (price was in our national currency). Half of it – in cash, another half – from the loan. Originally loan was for 60 month's, but I paid it off in 15. 
Is it mustachian? Partly. I got it new with the full package – air conditioning, ABS, electronics. Not mustachian.  But for its price counting all its got – I think its OK.   (When I was getting it lots of my friends said to me something like “why are you getting that cheap Chinese car? Are you poor? You should go for something  like Ford, Toyota, Mazda (long list of names that costs x3  money for the same options  with different brand name. I kept my mind.)”. 
 Its reliable, doing around 42 mpg, parts are not expensive (when I will need them, but from the moment of purchase I got zero problems with the car) – so I like it and plan to use it for long time.

How is it in a crash?

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #135 on: January 14, 2015, 11:37:19 AM »

What do you drive (if you own a vehicle)?

How much did you pay, and did you finance or pay it all at once?

Do you feel your vehicle situation is mustachian?

2015 Hyundai Elantra Limited
$17,000: we paid $3000 on a credit card (the most they would let us) and the rest cash. The CC payment was just for points though, and paid off at the end of the cycle. So it was just a bonus for us, not a way to afford the car. I would have charged the whole $17k if the dealer let us!

No, the vehicle is not mustachian because I bought it new less than a month ago. I wanted some more luxury features (seat warmers and rear view camera were must haves this time around), some more safety features, and 4-doors over my 2001 Civic Coupe (of which I was the original owner). I could have made a much less mustachian choice, but I went with a budget option that met my needs and is also fuel efficient.  If I keep it for 6 years, I think it will be a good choice, and if it lasts 13 like my last car, and great choice.   (If this question got asked last month I would be doing much better. I had been driving the same car, with incredible fuel efficiency, which I got free as a gift, for 13 years.)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 11:45:13 AM by iowajes »

dunhamjr

• Stubble
« Reply #136 on: January 14, 2015, 11:37:19 AM »

not bad.

Ha, see my post just above. I guess $4k is the standard price for a Saab regardless of year or model. I know I was happy to be paying 1/10 the new price for a car with 118,000 miles at the time.

haha, yep very funny.  sounds like $4k is the bottom of the depreciation curve for a good condition Saab.  and to think when i bought the car a NUMBER of people told me i was paying too much.

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #137 on: January 14, 2015, 11:54:15 AM »

Yours might have a problem. We get nearly 30 MPG doing almost all small-city driving.

atromic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #138 on: January 14, 2015, 11:58:27 AM »
2005 Pontiac Vibe (same as Toyota Matrix)
Bought for $6,500 with 97,000 mi (craigslist)
Per mile car insurance ranges from $35-$70 depending on how much I drive (full coverage)
On a good month I can get by on a little over a single tank (about 30 mpg combined)

I've put $1,100 or so in minor DIY repairs and 2 new sets of tires since I got it (summer and snow). The car is an awesome "adventure" vehicle for outdoor activities with friends and my two big dogs. The utility is crazy as the rear seats fold down into a hard plastic bed. I see myself driving this vehicle for a very long time, and when it dies I'll probably buy another one.

Totally Mustaschian.

caliq

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #139 on: January 14, 2015, 12:13:01 PM »
2005 Pontiac Vibe (same as Toyota Matrix)
Bought for $6,500 with 97,000 mi (craigslist)
Per mile car insurance ranges from $35-$70 depending on how much I drive (full coverage)
On a good month I can get by on a little over a single tank (about 30 mpg combined)

I've put $1,100 or so in minor DIY repairs and 2 new sets of tires since I got it (summer and snow). The car is an awesome "adventure" vehicle for outdoor activities with friends and my two big dogs. The utility is crazy as the rear seats fold down into a hard plastic bed. I see myself driving this vehicle for a very long time, and when it dies I'll probably buy another one.

Totally Mustaschian.

How big are your dogs?  Do you fold the seats down to fit them in the back?  This sounds like exactly what I need! but pictures make it look kinda small

imbros

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #140 on: January 14, 2015, 12:23:02 PM »

not bad.

haha, yep very funny.  sounds like $4k is the bottom of the depreciation curve for a good condition Saab.  and to think when i bought the car a NUMBER of people told me i was paying too much.

When I picked mine up last summer, essentially it was an 8 years old car with 98k miles on it. The first owner paid $28k in 2006, and the second owner (whom I purchased the car from) paid $18k for it in 2009. All the receipts were in the glovebox, together with bunch of other stuff.

Consumerism is a ridiculous thing. These compact-luxury cars are built to last several hundred thousand miles with routine maintenance. Yet you see people dumping them left and right as soon as they hit 100k miles, because they "need" a new car. They sell them for the fraction of what they paid for just a few years ago. In my case, the lady who sold me the car just finished making payments.

atromic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #141 on: January 14, 2015, 12:36:16 PM »
How big are your dogs?  Do you fold the seats down to fit them in the back?  This sounds like exactly what I need! but pictures make it look kinda small

93lb and 80 lb. If it's just me and the girl we'll fold the seats down and let them sprawl. If we have guests seats go up and we cram them into the back... It's tight, but perfectly fine for day trips. Everything is hard plastic when the seats are down which makes cleanup SUPER easy. It's a fantastic dog car, and I bought it with them in mind. I looked at a few similar vehicles and the vibe/matrix was the only one I considered that had a rear space big enough for the boys with the seats up.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #142 on: January 14, 2015, 12:39:13 PM »

93lb and 80 lb. If it's just me and the girl we'll fold the seats down and let them sprawl. If we have guests seats go up and we cram them into the back... It's tight, but perfectly fine for day trips. Everything is hard plastic when the seats are down which makes cleanup SUPER easy. It's a fantastic dog car, and I bought it with them in mind. I looked at a few similar vehicles and the vibe/matrix was the only one I considered that had a rear space big enough for the boys with the seats up.

I have a Matrix version and I can attest that it's pretty darn cavernous inside.  I also test drove a Fit... same thing.  Bigger inside than you'd think from it's tiny size.

caliq

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #143 on: January 14, 2015, 12:42:39 PM »

Thanks!  We have 2 100 lb Danes and a 70lb Weimaraner so we'd probably have to keep the seats folded all the time...which is fine because I don't drive other people much.  From pictures it looks like the second row is split folding?  I love the idea of the plastic too! 

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #144 on: January 14, 2015, 01:13:09 PM »
Yet you see people dumping them left and right as soon as they hit 100k miles, because they "need" a new car. They sell them for the fraction of what they paid for just a few years ago.

Wow, that is a lot of driving if it takes only a "few" years to hit 100k.

southernhippie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #145 on: January 14, 2015, 03:03:23 PM »
2012 Nissan Titan 4wd. Financed it and still owe 12,100 on it. I know, punch in the face.  I am currently trying to get rid of it and get a used prius where I will pay cash and have no loans left but my mortgage.

Wife drives a 2011 Chevy Malibu.  We financed it but I paid it off in 2 years

Beric01

• Handlebar Stache
  • Law-abiding cyclist
« Reply #146 on: January 14, 2015, 03:29:27 PM »
I drive (ride?) a 2010 Specialized Crosstrail. Purchased for $450. I've added on fenders, a rear rack +panniers, headlight+tail-light, and a water bottle holder (1.5L capacity). I also have a trailer I use for Costco trips.

No need for one of those gas-powered machines.

dunhamjr

• Stubble
« Reply #147 on: January 14, 2015, 03:44:16 PM »

we used to have a 2006 matrix, so i can add info here.
we had 2 50# dogs, and would add in a 25# pug on the weekends to go to the dog park.

the hatch is a bigger than you would guess by pics, but its not huge.  its about 22cuft.  most hatchbacks are a lot closer to 12-14cuft.
the other nice feature is that the hatch glass opens independent of the hatch itself, so slipping things in and out is easy.  also for dogs, gives you a chance to wrangle them into leashes etc before full opening the hatch.

justplucky

• Stubble
« Reply #148 on: January 14, 2015, 05:33:01 PM »
2012 Toyota Yaris SE (4dr manual).

I believe I paid $15,000. It had 3,000 miles on it; now it has ~18,000 miles. I financed it completely at purchase, but it's been paid off for a while.

On purchase, not so much. Now that it's paid off, yes, absolutely. It's a great little car.

Cork

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #149 on: January 14, 2015, 07:25:26 PM »

2009 Honda Fit Sport Manual!  Nothing like throwing two bikes, gear, and a friend into the car and going mtn biking.  I am a Honda Fit fan.

$6200, craigslist special!  Older man who took it to the dealership every 7500 miles, looks new and runs the same.  He didn't want to "bargain" with people he just wanted to help someone else out.  Luckily, I was able to sell my solara (22mpg @200hp) and put that dough into the Fit (36mpg @160hp :D :D ) 

No.  No because I still have to commute by car.  I am seeking a job in Colorado and then I'll work very hard to live close enough to bike to work...soon.