Author Topic: What do YOU drive?  (Read 53533 times)

ontheroaderic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: What do YOU drive?
« Reply #50 on: January 09, 2015, 04:45:13 PM »
2002 Subaru Outback (mine). Paid $4000 cash. I don't drive much in summer (bike the 10 miles to work) but I do drive in winter.

2010 Prius (wife's). Financed at 1.99% but will be paid off in less than 12 months total (February's payment will be the last). My wife is a social worker and is required to do regular home visits . . . the Prius has been great. We spend about $150 in fuel every month, but her mileage reimbursements are about $450. Of course there's wear and tear on the vehicle but I think we're still coming out ahead on the deal.

Kstar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #51 on: January 09, 2015, 05:13:59 PM »
Me:  I drive a 2001 Toyota Rav4 (manual AWD) that I purchased third hand about three years ago.  I paid $8000 with a LOC  (8%) but paid that off within a few months.  I drive the car to work on days where I need it at work (I get compensated per km I drive while at work) and try to leave it at home when I won't need it. 

Hubbo: 2007 (?) Toyota Tacoma that he bought second hand (about 7 years ago) for cash. 

Together (and regrettably) we are not particularly mustachian.  In fact, I just did the math and am disappointed to learned that I get 18mpg in my little Rav4.  I would've hoped for more, but alas no.  At the risk of sounding like an excusypants (is that a thing?), my career is in a period of flux and there is a CHANCE that we will be relocating to a new city in the next couple of months.  If that happens, we will most definitely be thinking about the location of our next place - hopefully landing in an established neighborhood that is equidistant between our two places of work to maximize the feasibility of bicycle commuting.

nathan01xl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #52 on: January 09, 2015, 08:50:52 PM »
2001 ford ranger modded and hypermiled to a reliable 35 mpg. Paid 3200 cash when I was 17 in November 08.
Wife and I bought 07 Prius last September for 7000, financed at 1.49% for 60 months.

Davids

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #53 on: January 09, 2015, 08:56:01 PM »
06 Corolla that I bought new in May 06. Currently has over 125K miles, plan on driving it into the ground. Other than changing tires twice since I bought it and replacing brake pads no issues. 

southern granny

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #54 on: January 09, 2015, 09:00:31 PM »
2013 Hyundai sonata . Originally planned to get the Elantra but couldn't get all the grandkids in the backseat of that one.  Bought new, but negotiated a good price.  Made a substantial downpayment and financed at 1.9 percent.  I am going to go ahead and pay it off in the next few months.  I generally keep my cars at least ten years. 

aceyou

• Handlebar Stache
    • Life is Good - Aceyou's Journal
« Reply #55 on: January 09, 2015, 09:12:51 PM »
By the way this is my first post on the blog, so welcome everyone!

1999 Toyota Camry

I purchased the vehicle in 2009 for $5,000 with 100,000 miles on it. I paid cash for the vehicle.
currently has 185,000 miles
my goal is to get another 5 years out of it

*For the few years owning the car I made a daily 70-mile commute.  3 years ago I calculated the stupidity of such a commute, so I moved closer to work in 2011.  A couple months ago I found this blog, and it confirmed my former stupidity. 

Is the car mustachian?
no - the gas mileage is around 25.  It fits 5 people, when only have a wife and one kid to drive around.  It's a v6, when a four cylinder would more than do.
yes - I bought it for it's reliability, paid cash, have kept it well within the $5000 that you would expect to pay in repairs to maintain a car between years 100 to 200 thousand.  I bought it when it had mostly depreciated, but still had plenty of life in it. 

Right before I joined this blog, I watched many of my friends, who make no more money than I do, buy very nice new vehicles.  A part of me wanted to join in the fun, even though the mathematician i me knew it was stupid.  This blog quickly got me thinking correctly again.  I'm back to my old self, and I have more pride driving my 99 Camry that I could in any new vehicle. 
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 09:20:10 PM by aceyou »

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #56 on: January 09, 2015, 09:19:28 PM »
I can't believe this thread has made it to multiple pages without any posting the relevant Swingers clip.

Of course, that version of "What do you drive" is from a slightly different perspective.  In the movie, dude gets himself all psyched up to go talk to this girl at a party, and this line is her only response.  Like it's how she evaluates potential suitors.

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #57 on: January 09, 2015, 10:13:23 PM »
Creepy looking 2003 Dodge Ram Conversion van.  Old 318 dodge motor. 

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #58 on: January 09, 2015, 10:21:10 PM »
Punch me.

me: main car 2005 Toyota Matrix.  Bought used for $7k.  Paid cash.
wife: main car 2012 Toyota Rav4.  Bought used for $12k.  Paid cash.

alternate vehicles:
1981 piece of shit chevy truck.  Price: traded for large pizza with everything.  Possibly over paid.
1975 Triumph TR6.  Price $3k in 1983.  Paid cash.  Yes, I've had it that long.

I won't include the tractor...

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #59 on: January 09, 2015, 11:18:30 PM »
1991 Toyota MR2.  Bought used in 1996 for $10,500 cash.  Fairly mustachian for a sportscar.  32-34 mpg.  Originally ran on 87 octane, but with 10% ethanol being all I can get locally it now requires 93 octane.  Parts can be ridiculously expensive (and hard to find), but it rarely breaks despite the beating it gets (hey, it *is* a sportscar!).

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX.  Bought used in 2002 for $15,500 cash.  Not as mustachian.  Originally was getting 28-30 mpg, but had severe hesitation problems at low speeds.  Found and fixed injection timing issue and it now runs tons better, but only get 25 mpg (with 93 octane, it's a turbo).  Most parts are easily found and dirt cheap.  However, stuff breaks a LOT, and I recently had it stuck on a lift for multiple months while we were trying to locate a rear axle cup (seems you can buy anything BUT that part)...

1994 Suzuki Katana (motorcycle).  Bought in 2013 for $1 (cash :-) ).  55 mpg highway (42 in town).  Parts are dirt cheap and easily available.  Stupid easy to work on compared to a car.

Really?.. Why?.. 87 Octane should be 87 Octane.. You can detect detonation running ethanol?

Frank

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #60 on: January 10, 2015, 01:13:13 AM »
1991 Toyota MR2.  Bought used in 1996 for $10,500 cash.  Fairly mustachian for a sportscar.  32-34 mpg.  Originally ran on 87 octane, but with 10% ethanol being all I can get locally it now requires 93 octane.  Parts can be ridiculously expensive (and hard to find), but it rarely breaks despite the beating it gets (hey, it *is* a sportscar!).

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX.  Bought used in 2002 for $15,500 cash.  Not as mustachian.  Originally was getting 28-30 mpg, but had severe hesitation problems at low speeds.  Found and fixed injection timing issue and it now runs tons better, but only get 25 mpg (with 93 octane, it's a turbo).  Most parts are easily found and dirt cheap.  However, stuff breaks a LOT, and I recently had it stuck on a lift for multiple months while we were trying to locate a rear axle cup (seems you can buy anything BUT that part)...

1994 Suzuki Katana (motorcycle).  Bought in 2013 for $1 (cash :-) ).  55 mpg highway (42 in town).  Parts are dirt cheap and easily available.  Stupid easy to work on compared to a car.

Really?.. Why?.. 87 Octane should be 87 Octane.. You can detect detonation running ethanol?

Frank

Shouldn't - the 5sfe is fine on 87.

'91 MR2 Turbo - paid $7k cash in 2008.
'97 Lexus LX450, paid $7200 cash last spring (for sale @$8500).
'99 Tacoma 4x4, paid $4500 cash almost 3 years ago. Sold for $5500 last weekend.

Replacing both of the above trucks with one - '07 Lexus GX470, financed $18,400 at 3.49%, will pay down some when the LX450 sells. Not mustachian, but a planned and thought out decision involving more factors than just money.

mwulff

• Bristles
« Reply #61 on: January 10, 2015, 01:25:45 AM »
My wife and I have a 2001 Bmw 320D that we bought for about $28.000 in 2010. Since we live in a country with the highest car taxes in the world this was actually ultra cheap.

The car is extremely reliable and gets 38 mpg. Since getting it we have driven about 80.000 miles in it and it has never put a foot wrong.

Unfortunately we can't avoid my wife's commute. But will driv this car into the ground over the next 10-15 years.

Peacefulwarrior

• Stubble
« Reply #62 on: January 10, 2015, 02:57:26 AM »
VW UP. Bought it when it was around 1 year old. Paid around $20.000 for it. Should have bought a much older car, but I have no payments on it, it's very fuel efficient and I only use a car on the weekends and it's sitting in a closed garage - so at least it will last me forever.

ScroogeMcDutch

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #63 on: January 10, 2015, 03:18:49 AM »
2011 Citroen DS3 1.6 eHDI Diesel

Cost at the time € 20.000,-

Paid cash for it on my own LLC's name, and received some tax break and VAT subtractions due to it being fuel efficient. I was not into mustachian values then and splurged on some extras that were not needed, as well as buying a new car. I did get sportsseats which help a lot with my lower back problems. Before I drove a Citroen C1 and even on a 50 km / 30 mile commute I'd get a nagging lower back.

It runs at about 1:20 kilometers per liter (47mpg) in practice, but can run 1:30 if I would pay a lot of attention to it (1:70 mpg). Initially expected to replace it when it hit 5 years, but now am going to re-evaluate that. Something needs to change at 5 years because the tax situation changes dramatically then.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #64 on: January 10, 2015, 06:09:59 AM »
2004 Nissan Sentra, Purchased for $7000 cash exactly 48 months ago with only 13,000 miles.
24-25mpg around town, 30-31 on the highway, so far oil changes, a pair of tires, and a pair of brake pads, 1 O2 sensor in maintenance.
She has 58,500 miles now and is KBB $4400.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #65 on: January 10, 2015, 06:40:53 AM »
2008 Audi A4 convertible.  Bought it used, paid cash.  It's not mustachian, but I love it, and it is the last car I will ever own, so I'm happy that it's one that gives me so much pleasure.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #66 on: January 10, 2015, 06:53:32 AM »

Frank

I dunno about BlueMR2s reasons... but in my case ethanol based fuels cause vapor lock in the summer.  It can also be hell on parts that were not designed for it.  Rubber falls apart.  Metals corrode due to higher water vapor... etc.

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #67 on: January 10, 2015, 07:24:53 AM »

Yes.  I have the early 5S-FE without the knock sensor and  with the very simple fuel injection system.  It doesn't properly compensate for Ethanol and knocks on anything less than 93 octane.  I've owned it long enough that I lived through the conversion time.  The non-Ethanol stations I could run 87 fine, but 87 from an Ethanol station and it would ping (audibly) like crazy (and eventually blew a head gasket from me forcing the issue).  Now that all stations are converted over I have to run 93.  If I even drop down to 91 I get a light pinging.

Heywood57

• Stubble
« Reply #68 on: January 10, 2015, 09:40:29 AM »
1990 Toyota 4x4.
I bought it new for $16K.
It just passed 315K miles.

Davin

• Stubble
« Reply #69 on: January 10, 2015, 10:37:55 AM »
I drive a p.o.s. 2008 Dodge Ram 1500 for work, I get to drive to and from work in it too. They bought it new for me when I was hired. They pay for the gas, registration, insurance and maintenance.

My S.O. has a 2007 Kia Sorento that she bought new for $11,000 cash before we got together. We use this for grocery runs and camping skiing and rafting trips, and she drives it to work 2 nights a week. We may sell it in the next year for something more efficient.

I have a '92 Yamaha FZR 600 that I paid $800 cash for that I use for errands that don't involve cargo and social trips. I used to commute on it in the summer before my employer let me take the pickup home on a consistent basis.

I think it is somewhat mustachian, but with room for improvement.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #70 on: January 10, 2015, 11:02:33 AM »
I don't drive, have always lived in a location with awesome public transit or (more often) within walking distance of whatever I need. Hubby has a car.

What do you drive (if you own a vehicle)? 2005 Toyota Camry - actually he comes from a long line of sensible Camry drivers, third generation.

How much did you pay, and did you finance or pay it all at once? We bought used  in 2011 very low mileage, but can't remember - and paid 12,000 cash. Before that we had a 1998 Camry that had over 300,000 K, which had some damage from a bear falling on it. The car is still going strong and used as a beater car for Hubby's grandma - but didn't have the clearance and power necessary for a lot of Northen BC driving.

Do you feel your vehicle situation is mustachian? Yep, it has served us well and we managed to live in a lot of snow without buying a truck.

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #71 on: January 10, 2015, 11:19:15 AM »
My college cars were all very Mustachian... I literally pulled one of them out of a junkyard & drove it for a few years.  The junkyard thought I was nuts for spending the morning in the frozen mud to get an old Subaru out of the junkyard.  I thought they were nuts for selling me a perfectly good old Subaru with a bad fuel pump and leaking rear wheel cylinders for $350.

... saved another from the junkyard by beating the junkyard's price by $25.  $150 Daihatsu Charade. :)

Can't say I really miss them, though.

=========

I'm currently a nice paradox.  I commute to work on an electric bicycle, and own a 1997 F350 crew cab/long bed diesel.  I paid a good bit for it, but it's only got 94k miles, on the 7.3 Powerstroke that'll do half a million miles.  It's for hauling and towing, and I put maybe 2k miles/yr on it.  My wife's family is heavily involved with restoring antique cars (1920s stuff), and we fully plan to join them as soon as we have space to store one & work on it, and they are HEAVY.  3500+ lbs of car, plus a 2k lb trailer, and it starts limiting what can tow them through mountains.  We're also planning to tow a decent camper at some point once our kids are a bit older and do things like "Spend a month touring the east coast for history lessons."  Cheaper than hotels by a long shot...

I do almost all the work on it myself (had a shop replace the rear brake line because I didn't feel like doing it), and it should last basically forever.  I'm also considering throwing a set of batteries and an inverter in the rear for off-grid power if needed - I can install dual alternators to drive that easily enough.  And bigger tanks.

And then a 2015 Mazda3 that we traded a Mazda2 in for.  Same or better fuel economy, radically nicer to drive, and fits enough more that we don't need to take the truck nearly as often.

And a few motorcycles. :)

Facepunch away.  I'll just whirr away from you on my ebike. :p

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #72 on: January 10, 2015, 11:40:43 AM »

Frank

I dunno about BlueMR2s reasons... but in my case ethanol based fuels cause vapor lock in the summer.  It can also be hell on parts that were not designed for it.  Rubber falls apart.  Metals corrode due to higher water vapor... etc.

Hmm is the fuel pump in or near the fuel tank?..If so then vapor lock "should" not be a problem.

Rubber components can be an issue (I designed the fuel system for the airplane I built to run on ethanol laden fuel) but I am surprised this car does not have ethanol tolerant rubber components. effect of water on metals was a non issue it turned out.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #73 on: January 10, 2015, 11:42:21 AM »

Yes.  I have the early 5S-FE without the knock sensor and  with the very simple fuel injection system.  It doesn't properly compensate for Ethanol and knocks on anything less than 93 octane.  I've owned it long enough that I lived through the conversion time.  The non-Ethanol stations I could run 87 fine, but 87 from an Ethanol station and it would ping (audibly) like crazy (and eventually blew a head gasket from me forcing the issue).  Now that all stations are converted over I have to run 93.  If I even drop down to 91 I get a light pinging.

Wow.. I guess you could try retarding the ignition a few degrees if you wanted to experiment.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #74 on: January 10, 2015, 11:45:10 AM »
Heads up to this of you comparing miles per gallon claims between the US and Europe.

Remember that an imperial gallon is 20% larger than a US gallon.

Thus the same car doing say 30mpg in the USA will magically be doing 36mpg (+20%) in the UK... because the gallon is begger..:)

Frank

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #75 on: January 10, 2015, 11:47:33 AM »
2006 Honda Accord
A gift (with some small body damage such as a dent in the panel behind the door from being backed into and the front bumper isn't 100% secure).
86k miles on it.
Gets 35MPG or so, and we barely drive it. Mustachian.

I will drive this thing until it dies in another 10 years. This year, I need to get the timing belt done.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #76 on: January 10, 2015, 12:10:14 PM »
A 2003 Toyota Tacoma, 4WD.

Bought it in 2004 with about 600 miles on it.  Paid $28,000.  Paid $16,000 in cash and financed the rest.  I don't remember the terms.

It now has about 135,000 miles on it.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #77 on: January 10, 2015, 12:44:52 PM »

Frank

Hmm is the fuel pump in or near the fuel tank?..If so then vapor lock "should" not be a problem.

Rubber components can be an issue (I designed the fuel system for the airplane I built to run on ethanol laden fuel) but I am surprised this car does not have ethanol tolerant rubber components. effect of water on metals was a non issue it turned out.

In my case (not an MR2, but a 1975 TR6) the fuel pump is mechanical, driven off the engine.  Aluminum fuel lines then encircle about 3/4 of the engine, ending right there above the hot-as-hell header.  The TR6 was designed for 100 octane fuel, so even the "high octane" 93 with ethanol will start to boil on a warm day if you stop and cut off the engine.  Give it 3 hours and it's right back to normal.

The rubber on old Britcars is a breed unto itself.  It's always been special.  Even in its day, if you didn't use approved brands of brake fluid, you'd have hydraulic failures.  (I'm not talking DOT 3/4/5... I'm talking specific brand formulations.)

The carb floats are plastic... and really have trouble with ethanol.  Replacements are worse.  When you sink a float you're better off going to a junkyard and buying old stock floats than buying new.  I've never been able to find a metal float that fit that car.

The metal effect can be an issue ... as ethanol holds more moisture than gasoline.  I know the industry says it isn't.  My personal experience has been otherwise.

A side comment: cars are decades ahead of lawn equipment.  I've seen multiple mowers/chainsaws/etc eaten alive by it -- usually rubber type components.  Downside is that often the carb rebuild kits for these things cost as much as the equipment is worth.

webguy

• Bristles
« Reply #78 on: January 10, 2015, 01:33:09 PM »
2008 Honda Civic Coupe
My first car!
Bought in 2009 for $11,500 cash with 21k miles on it
Currently have 100k miles
It's small but we decided against a bigger car as we knew that 99.9% of the time it was going to be used for only 1 or 2 people.
It's pretty fuel efficient ~35-40mpg

2002 Mercury Sable Sedan
My wife's first car which she got at age 17
Her dad bought it for her in cash back in 2003 - not sure how much he paid
Currently has 130k miles on it
I don't like the car. It's had problems and is not fuel efficient. Gets ~20-25mpg.

YoungInvestor

• Bristles
« Reply #79 on: January 10, 2015, 01:36:31 PM »
I don't have a car, but sometimes borrow a Buick Verano from my parents who live in the region if I need to go on a longer trip.

I make sure to bring it back full of gas and cleaned up, of course. Quite a nice little car, it almost makes me buy one.

NICE!

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #80 on: January 10, 2015, 02:07:05 PM »
- 2003 Honda Accord. It has 150k miles now. I think it had around 10-15k when I drove it away from my parents house.
- Bought it from my parents, who bought it used roughly a year before. I paid them off by getting a car loan of my own at 1% interest in 2005. I think it cost me around $24k, which is/was too much.
- NOT Mustachian when I bought it, became Mustachian after I paid off the loan early in 2009. Doesn't get the mpg I want anymore (mid 20s I think, which is lower than before...looking for input from someone smart on that). I'm trying to attack that problem by driving less, which is more environmental than someone creating another car (with all the associated environmental costs).
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 02:34:47 PM by NICE! »

Thisisme

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #81 on: January 10, 2015, 02:31:37 PM »
2008 Audi A4 convertible.  Bought it used, paid cash.  It's not mustachian, but I love it, and it is the last car I will ever own, so I'm happy that it's one that gives me so much pleasure.

Hi fellow  Audi-ite!  I  have an A4 as well, 2011, bought new, with cash.  Think it was $42,000.  Definitely not Mustachian.

MMMdude

• Bristles
« Reply #82 on: January 10, 2015, 02:34:56 PM »
2000 celica gt bought in 2002 for 19k. Approx 35mpg and can fit a tonne of stuff in there. Will be tough to eventually let it go. Probably would get a matrix which has same engine in it

BooksAreNerdy

• Bristles
« Reply #83 on: January 10, 2015, 02:47:54 PM »
Paid $4000 cash for a 2001 Hyundai elantra hatchback about 2-3 years ago. Great family car. Love it.

Paid $1000 cash for a 1992(3?) Toyota Camry about a year ago. Great commuter for DH.

Prepube

• Stubble
« Reply #84 on: January 11, 2015, 09:40:33 AM »
Currently drive a 2010 prius

Paid a friend 7800 cash for it two years ago.

Mustachian.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #85 on: January 11, 2015, 05:24:47 PM »

Frank

I run E85 in my MR2 in the summer in Phoenix. It's fine. :)

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #86 on: January 11, 2015, 05:43:08 PM »

Frank

wanna buy a TR6?

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #87 on: January 11, 2015, 05:51:46 PM »
Before that we had a 1998 Camry that had over 300,000 K, which had some damage from a bear falling on it.

what

how

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #88 on: January 11, 2015, 06:03:42 PM »

Frank

wanna buy a TR6?
Haha, nope.

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #89 on: January 11, 2015, 06:04:50 PM »
With all the car threads about fixing payment situations, I'm curious to hear what the long time mustachians are driving.  So, here are a few questions.

What do you drive (if you own a vehicle)?

1965 Datsun Sports. Yes, she's my daily driver. She's been finished off (seats and an engine - woohoo!) since the below photo was taken, but I don't have any recent pictures.

How much did you pay, and did you finance or pay it all at once?

Purchase price was $2,900. Total paid over the past 10 years is $10,000, not including fuel. Current appraised value (what they're actually selling for in my car's condition) is $18k. Not a bad ROI.

Do you feel your vehicle situation is mustachian?

Hell yeah!

frugally

• Stubble
    • Welcome to the Woods
« Reply #90 on: January 11, 2015, 06:21:56 PM »
  • 2001 Toyota Prius, currently has 157000 miles.  Bought it for $3600 with 145000 miles on it 18 months ago.  The owner had just put a brand new hybrid battery ($2700) in it before needing to sell.
  • 2000 Toyota Sienna, just bought it for $1500.  It has 160000 miles on it, and will be used for flipping stuff on Craigslist (Make around $10k/year).  My wife and I will also be having our third child soon and three carseats don't fit into the back of the Prius.

Overall, I feel like we've made pretty mustachian car choices.

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #91 on: January 11, 2015, 07:12:56 PM »
2002 Holden Barina, 1.4L manual, with 112,000km on it. Fuel economy in the 7-8L/100km range (plenty of low speed suburban driving). Purchased in December for $3000 cash.

Definitely a Mustachian vehicle.

tracylayton

« Reply #92 on: January 11, 2015, 07:52:38 PM »
Not Mustachian at all, but bought before I discovered MMM... 2013 Camaro that I purchased for $23,000 less $15,800 for my trade-in (a 5 year old Honda Pilot). On the bright side, I paid cash, so there are no payments.

dhlogic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #93 on: January 11, 2015, 11:41:45 PM »
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 03:42:43 PM by dhlogic »

nora

• Stubble
« Reply #94 on: January 12, 2015, 03:53:42 AM »
We have one car which is a 2006 Jeep Wrangler. It is very unmustachian and really uncomfortable. But my husband likes 4WDing and so I put up with it. I drive it to work, he walks to his. We paid NZD$22000 cash for it in 2008 when it had 22000km on it. Sometimes I think it looks quite cute. It is black..
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 04:04:27 AM by Nora »

skunkfunk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #95 on: January 12, 2015, 10:41:17 AM »
I think like any spending decision, whether something is mustacian or not depends on your financial situation.

So with that I am FI, never had a car loan in my life, my last car (my first when I emigrated to the US) was a 97 Neon manual, bought it new and paid cash.

Current cars...

Car 1.

I have a 1999 Dodge Neon that I rebuilt (engine, transmission and some cosmetic damage)

Cost $350

Payments.. Umm zero

Car 2 Wife's

2012 Chevvy Cruze, bought from Hertz (ex rental car) High end model leather seats, power everything

Cost $12,000

Payments.. zero.. paid cash, and only carry liability as I can do bodywork etc and my car is sort of spare since I retired and hardly drive it.

Badassity. I wish I could do body work! I do all the mechanical (except alignment) but I have too many hobbies vying for attention.

Okay fine it's cause I suck!

Stachetastic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #96 on: January 12, 2015, 01:08:06 PM »
Me: 2005 Matrix with 150k miles, bought used last Spring for $5200 cash.
Hubs: 2004 Corolla with 216k miles, bought new by a young, non-mustachian me. Just replaced the timing chain last month, and hoping this baby lasts forever. I wish I could go back in time and hi-five myself for buying such a great car. It has needed very little, considering I was never one for keeping up with maintenance, aside from oil changes.

Facepunch worthy: 2001 Chevy 2500HD ext. cab, bought last Spring for $3k cash. We drive this sparingly, using it for hauling DIY materials for home and rentals, and our pop up camper. (I know, it's overkill for a pop up). It's beat to hell and AC is broke, but we can all fit in it when necessary, and it starts right up every time.

ScroogeMcDutch

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #97 on: January 12, 2015, 01:20:25 PM »
Heads up to this of you comparing miles per gallon claims between the US and Europe.

Remember that an imperial gallon is 20% larger than a US gallon.

Thus the same car doing say 30mpg in the USA will magically be doing 36mpg (+20%) in the UK... because the gallon is begger..:)

Frank

I used US gallons. 1 liter per 20 km = 3.78 liters or 1 US gallon per 75.6 kilometers = 1 US gallon per 47 miles

Pigeon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #98 on: January 12, 2015, 01:30:06 PM »
I drive a 2010 Toyota Corolla, dh has a 2012 Nissan Altima.  Both were purchased new, with a large down payment but some financing.  The Corolla had some interest associated with it, and we paid it down ASAP.  The Altima is a 0% loan, so not such a big rush, but we're almost paid off.

The Corolla was supposed to be dh's car.  He picked it out, etc., and drove it for several months before he hurt his back doing something around the house.  One of the things his doctor stressed was that he must sit up straight at all times and not hunch.  He hadn't realized it, but he couldn't do that in the Corolla very well.  He's 6'5.  My 15 year old car died shortly thereafter, so I took the Corolla and we picked out a new car based largely on head room.

DeltaBond

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #99 on: January 12, 2015, 01:33:39 PM »
1985 Benz 300TDT, not sure what my husband paid for it, but I'll be driving it as long as I enjoy not having car payments :)  It gets 30-31 MPG, and since these engines typically last around a million miles, I still have 700K miles left on it!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 11:02:08 AM by DeltaBond »

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!