Author Topic: What do you do with your Kitchenaid Stand Mixer?  (Read 10411 times)

englishteacheralex

• Magnum Stache
What do you do with your Kitchenaid Stand Mixer?
« on: May 10, 2017, 02:21:09 PM »
My husband didn't sign out of his google account and I saw an email with a craigslist poster about a kitchenaid mixer. Whoop! Mother's Day present! He finally caved to my three year campaign for a KitchenAid Mixer!

Rubbing hands together with glee....

What do you do with yours?

Kerowyn

• Magnum Stache
  • very "fuss" oriented
Re: What do you do with your Kitchenaid Stand Mixer?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 02:25:35 PM »
I make bagel dough and bread dough (2 loaves at a time, I'd never do it without the mixer) in mine!

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2017, 02:32:24 PM »
Mine's been sitting in the box since getting it from a Kohl's deal several years ago lol. We've used it maybe 2-3 times - there's not much counter space for it, so it's pretty out of sight out of mind.

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2017, 02:34:06 PM »
They are pretty useful for general baking.  Doughs in particular benefit since kneading is a PITA.

I've found the pasta attachment to be useful as well, I make hundreds of ravioli at a time and freeze them in packets of 15.  They can be cooked from frozen with a three minute boil and are absolutely delicious.  I have to carefully ration them out or I'll exhaust my entire supply in days.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2017, 02:41:54 PM »
Freakin' everything.  I make a lot of bread dough, cookie dough, and use it to whip meringue adn whipped cream.  A couple times a year I use it to grind and fill my own sausages (meat grinder attachment is ok - not great - but I don't want another device just for that... but I can do 8-10lb batches at a time). There's a lot of tasks I simply wouldn't do if I dind't have it (like homemade marshmallows).  I've become the event-cake baker in my circle of friends so it's useful for that too (especially the frosting).  I'd probably avoid most recipes that called for creaming sugar with butter if I had to do it by hand all the time.  It's in use a few times a week at our place.

As for storing, you can get a cabinet shelf lift so it tucks itself into a 15" wide cabinet when you don't need it.

hope you enjoy it!  I've abused teh hell out of mine (e.g. double batches of fondant) and 10+ years later it looks and acts like new.

batemama

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2017, 03:17:44 PM »
The not so usual things I use it for are meatballs and shredding chicken.  Not the biggest fan of mixing ground meat by hand.  The mixer does it without over doing it (no special attachments, just the normal paddle).  Bonus: I use a cookie scoop to shape the meatballs and end up with even less meat junk on my hands.  For the chicken, I put it directly from the crockpot into the mixer and turn the paddle on.  It shreds the entire batch like 30 seconds.

Miss Tash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2017, 03:31:36 PM »
I don't even have a hand mixer anymore because of the Kitchenaid.  Mashed potatoes, brownies, cookies, anything that needs mixing up!  My mom gave it to me when my son was born and now he's 27.  Love that thing (mixer and kid).

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2017, 03:38:13 PM »
I don't even have a hand mixer anymore because of the Kitchenaid.  Mashed potatoes, brownies, cookies, anything that needs mixing up!  My mom gave it to me when my son was born and now he's 27.  Love that thing (mixer and kid).

Haha, we find that using the hand mixer is more convenient since we don't want to pull out the stand mixer. I guess it all depends on what's out on your counter though too - I'm assuming the stand mixer is pretty easy-access for you?

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2017, 03:48:20 PM »
Makes the best meringue ever, whipping cream and desserts. I use it mostly for baking and it simply lives in the corner of my kitchen counter until I need it.
I've always wanted one, I get great satisfaction out of owning it and never tire of looking at the pretty red gleaming on my kitchen counter. When I first got it, Mr. R. asked me where I would keep it, "out on the kitchen counter of course, for all to see and for me to enjoy:)
Works great and makes any job easier.

Ditto on the hand mixer ...

Saskatchewstachian

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2017, 03:56:11 PM »
Less on the baking side for me but more cooking related items.

• It makes fantastic fluffy whipped mashed potatoes, start with the heavy blade then switch to the whisk at high speed.
  • Grinding meat for sausage is a common use in our household. I will grind up probably 50-60lbs of venison at a time with it.
  • Spaghetti and Linguine are also excellent as nothing really beat home made pasta.
  • I have the ice cream attachment and it makes excellent ice cream. We do this relatively often as DW is lactose intolerant so I can now make my own lactose free ice cream.
  • Makes excellent doughs of any kind, our favorite is pizza dough.
As for storage we have a decorative cloth cover that we put over it when not in use.

Laura33

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2017, 06:34:03 PM »

Everything!  This is the one device that lives on the counter -- I didn't even have a food processor for years.  Even now, I almost never use the big one -- my Kitchen-Aid and mini chopper handle just about everything I want to do.

Regular baking, doughs, etc., of course.  I burnt out my first one and had to upgrade to the bigger model I made so many heavy bread doughs with it.  :-). Pizza doughs for family pizza night!

Pasta roller/cutter:  makes it massively easy to make fresh pasta.  Make pasta dough using dough hook (basically, flour and eggs).  Let rest 20 mins or so.  Use roller to give a little extra kneading (roll, fold, roll, change thickness one click, repeat).  Let sheets dry slightly, change to cutter, cut.  I have to say, the ratio of "wow" factor to unit of effort is higher for pasta than anything else -- it is the one thing that seems to impress the hell out of people, and it is just sooooo easy with this thing!

Shredder:  best use is for latkes -- I put both the potatoes and onions through.  But any veggie you need sliced or shredded.

Grinder:  every once in a while I decide to grind my own meat for something, e.g., I want to make chili with a thicker grind, or like a few weeks ago I wanted to make pork lettuce wraps but the ground pork was ridiculously priced and I remembered I had half a tenderloin in my freezer.  This would be awesome if I hunted or had other access to game (I did use it to make venison chili when our neighbors gave us a hunk of meat they had hunted).

Also second the vote for marshmallows -- those need to be whipped for a long time with very hot stuff, and it is really nice to be able to just turn it on and let it go.  (Also high on the wow-per-unit-of-effort scale -- really kicks the homemade cocoa mix Christmas gift up a few notches.

The only thing I have not had luck with was the pasta extruder.  Oh well.  Plenty of other options.

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2017, 08:38:01 PM »
Pizza dough, cookie dough, any baked good that needs mixing, shredding chicken.  I don't have any attachments, just the paddle, dough hook, and whisk.

Blackeagle

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2017, 09:29:06 PM »
Mostly for baking chocolate chip cookies and shredding chicken and other meats.  I need to get in to using it for pizza/bread dough.

meandmyfamily

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2017, 11:19:12 PM »
Make cookies

Axecleaver

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2017, 04:25:16 AM »
Meat grinder, I lucked out and got an American made metal attachment from the 70's from my Mom. Her Kitchen Aid lasted 40 years and was still going strong when she relocated and put it in storage. I replaced the blade (the only thing in the new ones that is metal) and use it for sausage a few times a year. Also good for mixing salsa with predictable grind sizes, and I've used it to make bread crumbs back when we ate bread.

Dough hook was great when we made bread - now we are low carb and don't use it anymore.

Pasta extruder we haven't used much, it made a simple and great product, but was messy and cleanup was a drag.

Basic wire whip for the best mashed potatoes ever. So easy, and I get compliments on them at every extended family meal. I am pretty sure the family who still shows up for my holidays is doing it for the potatoes.

Favorite attachment is probably the food mill. I think they sell these as "vegetable grinder" but it's a food mill. Saves so much time turning bushels of plum tomatoes into tomato sauce. Anyone with a big home garden absolutely must get one of these. Great for applesauce, making jam, etc.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2017, 04:56:01 AM »
More bread here.

It does pretty good at mixing small batches of concrete as well.

Saskatchewstachian

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2017, 07:10:38 AM »

Can't tell if this is sarcasm or not.... On the one hand I completely believe you as they can mix pretty much anything, on the other hand my wife would murder me if I used the kitchenaid to mix concrete haha.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2017, 07:34:22 AM »

Can't tell if this is sarcasm or not.... On the one hand I completely believe you as they can mix pretty much anything, on the other hand my wife would murder me if I used the kitchenaid to mix concrete haha.
I spit out my coffee when I read that :-)
Then again - I've seen MMM use a wood-clamp to squeeze limes for margaritas and half my kitchen gadgets come from the hardware store- why not use a kitchen appliance for light construction?

Saskatchewstachian

• Stubble
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2017, 09:25:18 AM »

I spit out my coffee when I read that :-)
Then again - I've seen MMM use a wood-clamp to squeeze limes for margaritas and half my kitchen gadgets come from the hardware store- why not use a kitchen appliance for light construction?

I use a wood clamp to hold bags upright in my Sous Vide, they work great!

GreenSheep

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2017, 11:37:26 AM »
I have my mom's KitchenAid, which is well over 30 years old now and still going strong. I used to use it so much that it had a permanent home on my kitchen counter, but now that I've transitioned to a much healthier diet, I use it so rarely that it lives in a cabinet in the laundry room. It was great for baking and meringue.

That said, in addition to food, it's also very good for whipping up batches of moisturizer using shea butter, coconut oil, and a bit of essential oil and cream of tartar. That's what I've used it for most recently.

If anyone is not lucky enough to get one for Mother's Day and is shopping for a KitchenAid, it is (based on an N of 1) worth looking for an old used one. My mom gave me her old one and replaced it with a brand new one, and she still regrets this, as she says the motor on the old one is much more powerful.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2017, 11:50:06 AM »
When I was dieting for bodybuilding contests I would make protein fluff with it.

That shit what a lifesaver! Insane amount of volume with very low carbs/fats.

My SO uses it for baking, making pierogi dough, etc.

We have a sky blue one that looks really nice on our counter.

spookytaffy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2017, 12:27:38 PM »
Do you have a recipe for the protein fluff??? That sounds wonderful!

englishteacheralex

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2017, 01:06:07 PM »
Just wanted to jump on and thank everybody for the great ideas...not sure if hubby is really going to buy the mixer. We'll see on Sunday!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2017, 06:15:32 PM »
Ha! I just put a batch of pizza dough up to proof, still in the bowl of my KitchenAid mixer. I love it for pizza, cookies, whipping anything and everything. I bought the Costco one with the big motor. Growing up, my mom had a Sunbeam MixMaster that was a total workhorse. I like that the beaters (LOL, autofill changed this to "beraters") lifted up out of the bowl. My KA does not do that, which I find a little cumbersome. It lives on the counter, which is fortunate. If I had to lug it out of a cupboard each time, it would get used a lot less.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2017, 06:47:26 PM »
Ours lives on the counter - next to the toaster. Its the circle of like. Bread is born in the KA and ends in the toaster.

I was kidding about the concrete. We all know you should never use kitchen appliances to mix concrete. Thinset is entirely another subject.

Razzle

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2017, 07:05:10 PM »

That said, in addition to food, it's also very good for whipping up batches of moisturizer using shea butter, coconut oil, and a bit of essential oil and cream of tartar. That's what I've used it for most recently.

I'm going to try this!  I mainly use mine for making dog biscuits.

GreenSheep

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2017, 07:37:45 PM »

I'm going to try this!  I mainly use mine for making dog biscuits.

Cool! There are tons of recipes here, from the very simple (like the one I mentioned) to some more complex ones:

https://www.soapqueen.com/category/bath-and-body-tutorials/lotion/

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2017, 10:31:24 PM »
I have the grain grinder attachment and a non-Kitchenaid grain flaker attachment. I make whole wheat flour (and cracked meal for the chickens) w the grinder and flake groats for muesli and oatmeal dishes with the flaker.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 10:18:25 PM by jengod »

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2017, 01:07:05 AM »
Just wanted to jump on and thank everybody for the great ideas...not sure if hubby is really going to buy the mixer. We'll see on Sunday!

Well,  I hope you are getting one, and not your MIL!

twbird18

• Stubble
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2017, 11:16:39 PM »
I use mine to make Sugar free Cheesecake, chocolate mousse, & fluff. Sometimes Victoria Sponge cakes & souffles. At the holidays, I make cookies, pie fillings & mashed potatoes.  Sometimes when I'm filling particularly lazy I even use it for the deviled egg filling.

I used to make a lot of breads & whipped cream, but MIL gifted us a bread maker a few years ago & I got an ISIS whipped cream dispenser for Christmas a 2 years ago.  Also, recently discovered crepe batter is faster & better from a blender.

kimmarg

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2017, 05:52:37 AM »

Wonder how I ever lived without it? :)

Bread is the biggy. The dough hook kneads enough for 2 loavaes with no effort. I rarely buy bread anymore.  All the other usual baking suspects like muffins, wipped cream etc. Surprising idea that works great is mashed potatoes. DUmp hot cooked potatoes and butter and a splash of milk in with the normal paddle and beat it into the fluffiest smoothest mashed potatoes ever.

Some people complain it takes up space. Sure, it does but I think a key is to have it always out. Yes it's way to heavy to take out but if it's already out.... Mine lives on the counter. It gets used a LOT.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 05:56:42 AM by kimmarg »

kimmarg

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2017, 05:58:34 AM »
I've found the pasta attachment to be useful as well, I make hundreds of ravioli at a time and freeze them in packets of 15.  They can be cooked from frozen with a three minute boil and are absolutely delicious.  I have to carefully ration them out or I'll exhaust my entire supply in days.

hmm is ravioli worth making by hand? I've done it but it seemed to take forever. we buy store brand frozen for the toddler who loves them.

Karinajane8

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2017, 06:39:58 AM »
Definitely the shredding meat idea (pulled pork and chicken) is so much easier than the two fork method the recipes call for.  I do it in bulk and freeze bags of preshredded chicken which makes other meal prep way easier.
I got mine on craigslist for $20 and is still my best deal to date.  I agree the older are better.  I registered for a new one and it was way smaller and the tilt head vs. lift sucked.  SO I regifted the brand new one and kept the $20 one!
Happy Mother's Day!

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2017, 06:51:11 AM »
I keep looking at the attachments, but the cost sets me off on them. I'd like the meat grinder or the pasta roller, but at $250+, I could buy a helluva lot of pasta. There may be a benefit in product quality, but for my pedestrian taste, store bought pasta is fine for now.

The basic mixer is well used though - even with out the add-ons.

Maenad

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2017, 07:03:36 AM »
Bit of backstory: when my MIL and FIL divorced, MIL got the KitchenAid mixer. FIL was so bummed he went out and bought his own.

When we moved out of our parents' homes after college one of my ILs lent us theirs, because we didn't have any money yet and it was the one appliance DH was adamant about. After a year or so they wanted theirs back so DH insisted we buy our own. So we got a black one and named it Darth KitchenAid.

I have never regretted it. Like others have said, we use it ALL THE TIME. If you ever want to make divinity, you will need a powerful stand mixer. Darth KitchenAid gets warm after 20 minutes of mixing divinity, but he's never let me down yet. We perfected our cheesecake recipe in it. We use the grater attachment and the meat grinder frequently; the fruit/veggie strainer is great for prepping tomato sauce for canning. My parents got us the pasta maker but we haven't used it yet. The only attachment we've bought and no longer use is the grain mill - we wanted to make our own oat flour but it wasn't quite fine enough.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2017, 07:19:57 AM »
...just tossing this out there.  For those of you like myself that **hate** having appliances kept on the countertop, you can get a lift for a kitchen-aid mixer.  Costs ~$75 or so but allows the mixer to be stored in a 15" wide cabinet, and the springs make it easy to lift and lower.

https://www.amazon.com/Rev-Shelf-RAS-ML-HDCR-Height-Cabinet/dp/B0042QB6M4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1494767667&sr=8-2&keywords=Mixer+stand+lift

Pigeon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2017, 07:54:42 AM »
Any kind of baking, mostly. I also mix up big batches of meatball or loaf mix to freeze.

I had the pasta and grinder attachments but got rid of them. Homemade pasta is more work and mess than is worth for me as is the sausage grinding.

CutTheFat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2017, 08:27:25 AM »
Most often pizza dough, bread dough, cookie batters, whipped cream, granola/bars, lara-like bars, mashed potatoes and shredded pork/chicken.

Philbert

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2017, 10:07:13 AM »
We love our kitchenaid. Mixing will be a snap! We got a spiralizer attachment as a wedding gift, and since then, we've been making sweet potato curly fries and zucchini noodles like it's nobody's business.

englishteacheralex

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2017, 10:52:35 AM »
No Kitchen Aid mixer for me (sad trombone). But I'm actually glad, because this thread has made me realize we don't actually need it. We have a bread machine that serves all our dough needs, a spiralizer, and a hand mixer. We're trying to jump start a health kick, and I think a stand mixer would probably have derailed it.

Got pretty earrings from hubby instead. :) Can never have too many of those!

Happy mother's day!

SingleMomDebt

« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2017, 11:04:57 AM »
Dang. I need to ante up with using my mixer. Had a spiralizer but never used it. Sold it.
But the mixer we make cookies, cake, cupcakes, whipped cream and banana bread. Can't say I've made anything more in. That will need to change.

SingleMomDebt

« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2017, 11:10:47 AM »
Ps: i had no idea that you could shred chicken in a mixer. Had to youtube it. Think I'll stick to using two forks.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2017, 12:13:11 PM »
Bread dough, pizza dough, cookies or whatever. I do love it for merengue and whipped cream.

I keep mine out away but it's my only mixer so I get it out regularly.

Mtngrl

• Bristles
« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2017, 01:26:42 PM »
I can't add anything new to uses -- I've done pretty much everything others have mentioned. I make all our bread, so it gets a workout every week. Mine stays on the counter, but in an "appliance garage" -- a little box with a tambour door that is built in as part of my kitchen cabinets. I just open the door and slide it out, then put it away when I'm done -- no heavy lifting and it looks a little neater than having it out all the time. When we built this house that was one of the things I really wanted with my cabinets.

KM77

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2017, 04:46:07 AM »
Sold it.

It passed down from my mom to my Bro when she bought a new one. He gave the old one to me when he got a new one(see a trend here?).

We eat pretty simple healthy stuff and anything I need to do I definitely don't need a heavy duty mixer for. It loved on my kitchen counter for a bit collecting dust and then I just moved it to the basement. Seemed like a waste as I know a lot of people get use out of it, so into the used market it went!

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #45 on: May 15, 2017, 10:23:48 AM »
At least you ended up getting something you like :)

I use mine for some of the stuff mentioned above.  I bought it for Mother's Day years ago, and there was a "buy mixer, get a free attachment" certificate that came with.  So, I got the grinder.  I haven't used it for meat yet (although I could), but I have used it to grind zucchini and green tomatoes to make relishes.  The green tomato hot dog relish recipe is from a Ball Canning book.  The zucchini relish is my gramma's recipe, from way, way back (might even be my great-gramma's recipe).  Normally I only can "researched and approved" recipes, but the relish is an exception, as it uses so much salt and acid that I'm not worried about botulism at all.  My son likes the relishes on hamburgers, and I often make a chicken salad with relish, canned chicken (that we can ourselves), and mayo-- eat as a sandwich or on crackers.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2017, 08:41:15 PM »
englishteacheralex -- did you get the stand mixer as a present?

englishteacheralex

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2017, 12:11:49 AM »
Nope! Woke up Mother's Day morning to a little box and a card--hubby got me a couple of cute pairs of earrings and wrote me a nice note.

I posted earlier in the thread that I was starting to realize from all the posts that we don't need a stand mixer. We have a bread machine for all our dough needs, and I shouldn't start a baking habit. I'd like to lose the last ten pounds after having had a baby four months ago. I've got a kitchenaid electric hand mixer if I need to make a batch of cupcakes for somebody's birthday. 

Never told hubby of my suspicions. I think he must have decided the same thing I did. We've been talking about eating better lately.

All the suggestions were really helpful, though. Helped me realize it was unnecessary.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #48 on: May 16, 2017, 05:21:46 AM »
Your hubby is so thoughtful! Can he send me a fathers' Day gift?

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #49 on: May 16, 2017, 05:20:20 PM »
Mine gets used at least once a week for pancakes.  My youngest has gotten into baking so he's been using it every other day or so.

No extra attachments, just what came with it.