Author Topic: What do you do when you meet up at a bar/pub  (Read 4070 times)

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
What do you do when you meet up at a bar/pub
« on: June 15, 2016, 11:29:40 AM »
Hey,

I am going to see a theater performance tomorrow. There's a local YA arts group that goes to a see a show each month and one of their members pulled out so I am getting his ticket at no charge. We are meeting there beforehand to get a tour of the building, which I am looking forward to as it is an architectural marvel, and then we are going out to a local brewpub for drinks and food before the show.

I looked up the place and have no interest in any of their food offerings and don't want to spend money on alcohol.

Do you have any strategies for when you are meeting people at such a place? I don't really know most of the people part of the group and don't want to be seen as a miser, I am planning on ordering a soft drink and saying that I ate beforehand.

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
Re: What do you do when you meet up at a bar/pub
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2016, 11:52:54 AM »
If the other person is eating and I feel like I need to also, I will get a side garden salad. Almost every place has one, and it's not usually pricey. If I do this, I get water, because soda has an unholy markup that I refuse to pay for at a restaurant.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2016, 11:55:00 AM »
Say that you ate beforehand. If you want to, order a soup or salad and ask for it to be served as the entree.

Get a glass of water and ask for the beer/wine list. Slowly drink your water, and ask for another and order beer. Nurse said beer until the end of the night, keep drinking water the whole time. You'll be out of there for about $5. (Soft drink works too--if anyone asks, just tell them that you're not really a drinker--but I find they're usually not much if any cheaper than the beer).

I will say that there is a point where you're toeing the line with miserly--it is OK to spend money on a drink or meal, even if you don't like it that much, in the name of entertainment and socialization every once in a while.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2016, 11:58:21 AM »
Thanks for your response!

This event will have about 20 people at the pub. I said soft drink because while they have an insane markup, they cost far less than food. I looked at their appetizer menu and the cheapest think is $7 and it doesn't look that good. They do have house-made lemonade but I don't want to spend $3.50 for it. And the salads on their menu are priced like an entree, but maybe they have a side salad that I could order, thanks for the suggestion.

mtn, I completely agree. I'm avoiding beer like the plague because I love it too much but am trying to get back in shape. I don't mind eating/drinking if I'm out with friends as part of socialization but I looked at the menu and don't see anything that I like on it. I'm thinking of eating two lunches tomorrow so that I won't be hungry and if I do get hungry, then I'll order something.

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2016, 12:02:38 PM »
Be yourself and be open about it. It's a YA gathering - good place to maybe meet like-minded people!

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2016, 12:17:04 PM »
Thanks for your response!

This event will have about 20 people at the pub. I said soft drink because while they have an insane markup, they cost far less than food. I looked at their appetizer menu and the cheapest think is $7 and it doesn't look that good. They do have house-made lemonade but I don't want to spend $3.50 for it. And the salads on their menu are priced like an entree, but maybe they have a side salad that I could order, thanks for the suggestion.

mtn, I completely agree. I'm avoiding beer like the plague because I love it too much but am trying to get back in shape. I don't mind eating/drinking if I'm out with friends as part of socialization but I looked at the menu and don't see anything that I like on it. I'm thinking of eating two lunches tomorrow so that I won't be hungry and if I do get hungry, then I'll order something.

You sound like me. But unfortunately I just drove back to Chicago from Minnesota, and to do that you have to pass through Wisconsin, and in Wisconsin they have Spotted Cow, and... Well, now I have 9 Spotted Cow's in my fridge. There used to be 12.

undercover

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2016, 12:28:41 PM »
Well unless you're

A) confident that any food there will be in complete disagreement with your tastebuds

or

B) afraid you'll fall into a never ending spiral of spending on eating out

...then I wouldn't worry about a once in a while $10 restaurant bill...

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2016, 01:37:14 PM »
My job involves a lot of mandatory fun style meetups in bars. If I'm not excited about spending money, I order a club soda, and mingle. Sometimes the bartender charges me, but they frequently wave it.

If it's a sit down dinner, instead of a bar mingle, I follow the same club soda route. If anyone asks, I say I ate already, and I don't want to drink. No one has ever pushed me to drink, or forced me to get a meal. I've realized that t's one of those moments when we feel conspicuous, without actually standing out enough for people to notice.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2016, 01:40:04 PM »
My job involves a lot of mandatory fun style meetups in bars. If I'm not excited about spending money, I order a club soda, and mingle. Sometimes the bartender charges me, but they frequently wave it.

Nice! That sounds like a plan. Even if they charge for the soda it will only be a dollar or two, and I'll make sure to leave a tip for their time.

Telecaster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2016, 12:07:26 AM »

Nice! That sounds like a plan. Even if they charge for the soda it will only be a dollar or two, and I'll make sure to leave a tip for their time.

I order a club soda and bitters because it looks like a real drink.  Sometimes people ask why you aren't drinking, and then you have to explain why, blah, blah, blah.  I'd just rather not go there.  Plus the bitters makes the club soda a little less boring.

Trudie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2016, 07:26:11 AM »
I just spent several weeks in Ireland -- the pinnacle of "pub" culture.  However, I didn't want to drink all the time.  Still, I was with a group of people and wanted to be social and also give something back to the house for having great live music.  My solution -- club soda with lime.  People will think you're drinking a vodka and tonic.

I didn't get off scott free but a few bucks here and there is worth it to be social and to take in something of cultural value.  Skip the food -- just say you ate beforehand.

There's enough of a culture of clean eating and eschewing alcohol these days (for other reasons) that I don't think people will regard you in a silly manner.  If you don't make a big deal out of it and enjoy the company they won't think anything of it.

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2016, 07:52:25 AM »
My solution -- club soda with lime. 

Brilliant! I'm totally stealing this.

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2016, 08:00:56 AM »
Do the architectural walk thru, run an errand or take a walk avoid the pub, then go to the show.
If you can't afford a little eating and drinking at the pub, you shouldn't be in there taking up a seat that someone that would like to spend some money could use.  If you go to the pub, spend a couple bucks on a drink or two and an appetizer or something.

Schaefer Light

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2016, 08:04:12 AM »
I typically drink lots of beer ;).