Author Topic: What do you do when you forget your lunch?  (Read 21137 times)

aneel

• Stubble
What do you do when you forget your lunch?
« on: October 10, 2014, 06:46:08 AM »
Fellow mustachians, Friday morning got the better of me.  I managed to bring a baggie of cereal to work with me to have breakfast, but in the process forgot that lunch was also needed.  I have ample snacks at my desk (fruit, crackers, peanuts) but the damage I would have to do to my snack supply to get a decent lunch seems excessive.  This isn't the first time (or the last!) that this will happen, and I imagine some of you have found creative solutions to this issue so I want to hear your thoughts on what to do when you forget your lunch.  I will probably end up at the supermarket near my work to pick up a can of soup or the like.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
Re: What do you do when you forget your lunch?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2014, 06:52:14 AM »
I keep a 42oz can of oats - almost empty now, gotta get another one this weekend - and still have some cup-noodles and canned-veggies from a prior "save money on food" excursion.  Almost went out on Wednesday, then remembered that I had those sundries.  Oats are very filling, and I just eat them raw, so no need for a microwave or anything.

schimt

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 06:53:34 AM »
fortunately i live about 2 miles from work, so on occasion that i forget, or don't have time to pack something, i can run home. I have also just toughed it out and skipped lunch a few times, more for time saving and working through lunch, not so much related to the cost. Soup from the super market sounds like a good option.

TeresaB

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2014, 07:45:26 AM »
I don't work, but DH's work provides enough snacks that he just eats a bagel or a granola bar that they provide. He used to go buy lunch but I added up how much it was costing and we decided that wasn't a good plan.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2014, 07:57:38 AM »
I keep a canned item at work for those days. Ravioli or something.

tracylayton

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2014, 08:01:48 AM »
I would keep a package of Ramen noodles in a drawer, just in case...not the healthiest, but definitely filling.

Terrestrial

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2014, 08:23:43 AM »
If you have a microwave at work, cans of Progresso soup can be had on sale for ~$1.  I just buy them on sale and keep a few in my office for day when i either forget or am too lazy to pack one.

Emilyngh

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2014, 08:34:29 AM »
Fellow mustachians, Friday morning got the better of me.  I managed to bring a baggie of cereal to work with me to have breakfast, but in the process forgot that lunch was also needed.  I have ample snacks at my desk (fruit, crackers, peanuts) but the damage I would have to do to my snack supply to get a decent lunch seems excessive.  This isn't the first time (or the last!) that this will happen, and I imagine some of you have found creative solutions to this issue so I want to hear your thoughts on what to do when you forget your lunch.  I will probably end up at the supermarket near my work to pick up a can of soup or the like.

Like another poster, I keep quick oats in my office, in addition to my other snacks (keep apples, peanut butter, crackers, almonds and some bars).   If I forget lunch or something comes up where I miss it, I will eat a large bowl of oatmeal and then one or two of my snack items.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2014, 08:37:26 AM »
I keep a canned item at work for those days. Ravioli or something.

ditto

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2014, 08:40:44 AM »
I would keep a package of Ramen noodles in a drawer, just in case...not the healthiest, but definitely filling.

+1

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2014, 08:49:01 AM »
I've got almonds, raisins, and a 5kg bag of oats at my desk.

CryingInThePool

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • FIRE Target - - 2018 or whenever the mood strikes
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2014, 08:59:42 AM »
Miso Soup packets and Almonds! Or in your case since this happened on a Friday I'd probably eat breakfast later than normal, lots of water, and then bust out  for home and early dinner. 

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2014, 09:01:08 AM »
I make my own granola and bring gallon bags of it to work to leave there. I eat that along with bulk almonds and bulk dried fruit everyday for lunch. It's healthy, keeps my blood sugar up, super cheap (maybe $0.68/day or less), I never forget to bring it (because it's already there), and I don't have to think about it.

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/share-your-badassity/brought-breakfast-and-lunch-to-work-for-60-days-straight/msg377219/#msg377219

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2014, 09:09:49 AM »
I drink more water/tea at work, socialize during lunch hour instead of eat, and then eat a bigger dinner that night.

RMD

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2014, 10:01:35 AM »
I keep a jar of peanut butter and a package of crackers in my overhead.  I also have oatmeal. Sometimes coffee will get me through until I get home. I just started not buying lunches at work again. I haven't forgotten since I "packed" my overhead. Worse case scenario...$1.18 buys me a cup of soup from the cafeteria.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2014, 10:16:56 AM »
First line of defense - The Boyfriend. He works in the office building next to mine and starts later, so he can bring it with him and drop it off. Also works well for forgotten keys.

Second line of defense - The Caterers. I work for a large law firm and we have large catered lunches very frequently. Hit and miss whether there will be anything vegan left over, but not uncommon. This would usually end up being some combination of fresh cut fruit, hearty salad (with nuts and avocado and quinoa and stuff), and a wrap or sandwich.

Last Ditch Effort - My Feet. I live six blocks away, so I can go home and get it at lunch time.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2014, 10:46:22 AM »
I keep cans of soup (usually Chunky brand) in my office.  I occasionally have the packets of food from Trader Joe's (my favorite is Jaipur vegetables).  I always have a jar of peanut butter and other snack items. 

minimustache1985

• Stubble
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2014, 11:00:45 AM »
I keep some frozen meals in the freezer here, and granola bars/nuts/canned soup in my desk drawer.  Going out here isn't really an option (my job is miles from the nearest restaurant), so it's that or go hungry.

Louisville

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2014, 11:01:36 AM »
I go out and get lunch from a restaurant. It's not that big a deal if it only happens once in a while.

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
  • Live on minimum wage, earn on maximum
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2014, 11:04:58 AM »
I just skip lunch then.  I'm moving towards a paleo diet and have done some intermittent fasting.  Cereal is definitely not on my menu nor wheat based snacks.   Skipping has no negative effects on me and in fact keeps me from having any post lunch energy drain.

Once I'm paleo for a long period I plan to just skip lunch and breakfast a lot any how.  Saves an immense amount of time.  Something like 20,000 hours over a lifetime.  (or 10 working years not preparing cleaning and eating lunch and breakfast)

yandz

• Stubble
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2014, 11:27:00 AM »
Skip it OR walk to nearby grocery store and pickup an apple and sunbutter if I don't already have some in the desk drawer (no peanuts for me.......maybe I have were having a really, really, bad day at work and just wanted out ;) )

jwilliams0215

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • WinningWilliams
    • WinningWilliams
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2014, 12:23:17 PM »
Keep cans of soup as back-up. They go BOGO at the grocery store and often have some coupons too. Just had my wife start to bring back-up cans too... little wins :)

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2014, 12:29:53 PM »
Once I'm paleo for a long period I plan to just skip lunch and breakfast a lot any how.  Saves an immense amount of time.  Something like 20,000 hours over a lifetime.  (or 10 working years not preparing cleaning and eating lunch and breakfast)
It's incredibly convenient.  I've been 95% paleo for over a year.  I almost never have breakfast during the week, and I never have an issue with not eating until noon, or even later sometimes.  Was not the case when I was eating peanut butter sandwiches and pasta and cereal.  It's amazing how eating better lets me not only need to eat less often, but also simply not get as hungry in general.

Beric01

• Handlebar Stache
  • Law-abiding cyclist
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2014, 12:33:49 PM »
Forget my lunch?! My bike panniers would feel strangely empty packing them in the morning if I didn't have my lunch back packed in as well.

But I suppose I would hit Subway nearby. I would feel awful though, paying the same price for one sandiwch as it costs me to make a week's worth of sandwiches myself, but I need food to be productive.

I guess my other option is just to go back to my apartment to make my lunch - it's only 15 minutes biking distance away.

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
  • Live on minimum wage, earn on maximum
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2014, 01:09:33 PM »
It's incredibly convenient.  I've been 95% paleo for over a year.  I almost never have breakfast during the week, and I never have an issue with not eating until noon, or even later sometimes.  Was not the case when I was eating peanut butter sandwiches and pasta and cereal.  It's amazing how eating better lets me not only need to eat less often, but also simply not get as hungry in general.

Glad to hear that Ketchup!   I did a little intermittent fasting (IF) a couple of months ago.  Basically skipping breakfast and lunch and feeding from 6 - 9 pm.   It was pretty good.

I'm still in the "working towards" paleo thing as wheat and grain based foods are ubiquitous.  I'd be lying to myself it I guestimated anymore that 70% at this point.   But I've been moving away from beer and am about 90% away from wheat.   

I understand that once my body adopts to burning fat more so that sugar (grains) that the meal skipping is effortless.  (really at my weight I could go 6 weeks without food and still be within a decent weight range.  lol) 

step-through

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2014, 02:52:41 PM »
Oh man, I need help with this! Forgot my leftover pasta with sardines at home today. I keep a loaf of bread, cereal, nuts, and fruit at my desk, and then in the work fridge I have some raw veggies, mayo, whole milk, and often lunch meat or leftover leftovers from earlier in the week. Oh, and popcorn that I make in a paper bag in the microwave. There are always office staples like single-serve butter and mustard and such in there as well. I am burned out on peanut butter at the moment. :(  But it gets repetitive and I really need some ideas for make-at-work meals! I've been considering cans of sardines, cream cheese, lox, jerky, but not sure what else? I lucked out today, had some fish stew in the fridge from wednesday and squash in the freezer from last week. Yesterday I fixed a tomato sandwich. Always looking for a work shopping list! I am near a produce stand, large drugstore, and lots of delicious ethnic restaurants all within a 5 minute walk or less...

eil

• Stubble
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2014, 03:04:16 PM »

Beric01

• Handlebar Stache
  • Law-abiding cyclist
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2014, 03:09:45 PM »
Does nobody even read this blog any more? http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2012/08/24/fasting-a-fast-way-to-greater-badassity/

Sigh - there's a lot of old posts I really need to go back and read.

But seriously, if I go without food for a day, I get horrible headaches and can't think straight/do my job properly. That's why I always make sure to bring my lunch.

My brother, if he misses one meal, gets migranes and is lying down somewhere.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2014, 03:26:18 PM »
Does nobody even read this blog any more? http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2012/08/24/fasting-a-fast-way-to-greater-badassity/

Sigh - there's a lot of old posts I really need to go back and read.

But seriously, if I go without food for a day, I get horrible headaches and can't think straight/do my job properly. That's why I always make sure to bring my lunch.

My brother, if he misses one meal, gets migranes and is lying down somewhere.

I'm in the same boat.  I don't do well without regular food.  I actually eat snacks between meals to keep my energy levels up. 

Canadian Nicole

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2014, 03:29:10 PM »
Am I the only one that would just splurge for a cafeteria sandwich if I forget my lunch?    It almost never happens, but when it does I would rather do that than fast at work which would make me completely useless all afternoon.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2014, 03:43:02 PM »
Am I the only one that would just splurge for a cafeteria sandwich if I forget my lunch?    It almost never happens, but when it does I would rather do that than fast at work which would make me completely useless all afternoon.

If I didn't have food in my closet, I would consider going to the cafeteria.  But I keep food around because I know I can be forgetful.

Nudelkopf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2014, 05:54:08 PM »
I've never forgotten my lunch. I'm not sure how people forget things like this? But, if there was some weird disaster that I lost my mind that morning, I would go to the school 'cafeteria' because I'm a teacher and I'm not allowed to leave school grounds.

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2014, 08:53:05 PM »
Like most others, I keep a supply of food in my desk drawer:  Cans of soup and ravioli, packs of crackers, etc.

The worst of the worst isn't forgetting your lunch . . . it's having a REALLY GOOD LUNCH ready . . . and leaving it on the kitchen counter; thus, you've got to scramble and eat something dull for lunch today AND you know that really good lunch will be spoiled by the time you return home.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache

gobius

• Stubble
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2014, 03:43:26 AM »
I usually have some sort of food stashed like nuts.  Sometimes I would go to Subway or a restaurant.  Lately I've just been skipping lunch and eating a bigger meal at home for dinner.  Once in a while I hit the vending machine.

In other words, all of the above.

marmoset

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2014, 08:26:57 AM »
My office provides a lot of snack items in the kitchen, and there are often leftovers from catered lunches, so there have been a few times that I've cobbled together a lunch from random snacks. It is a bit tricky, though, as I'm vegan and it's rare that there are vegan leftovers. I also never feel that great if I eat just snack food for lunch, so I do try to keep a couple of Amy's organic vegan frozen burritos in the freezer. I put a bunch of salsa and other veggies on top, and it's not too shabby a lunch!

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2014, 09:31:02 AM »
I try to keep the Hub's desk drawer full of nonrefrigerated, microwavable stuff.  It's a fine line because if it's too bad he won't eat it and if it's too good he will eat it just for fun. 

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2014, 09:55:36 AM »
My company's cafeteria usually has really good soups so I've hit it up in the past.  Nowadays I have a largeish tote which makes it much easier to remember lunch.