Author Topic: What do I want for Christmas?  (Read 4508 times)

dungoofed

• Pencil Stache
What do I want for Christmas?
« on: December 11, 2014, 02:55:14 PM »
What do I tell my partner to buy me for Christmas when there is nothing I actually want at this stage?

Complicating things further, 1) I have already agreed to several hundred dollars of Christmas presents for them, and they'll feel terrible if they don't return the favour, and 2) there's a chance of a move overseas next year - I've been spending time every week throwing out crap I no longer need, the last thing I want to do is sabotage that effort.

So I started to think of a few things that fit into either "consumable," "tiny" or "moving overseas"-related categories. Have come up with the following, but would appreciate input from the community (and of course please feel free to steal some of my ideas if you're in a similar situation).

(last year I got a $15 silicone sausage mold that I use most weeks, but unfortunately it's pretty much indestructible)

Import/craft beers
Arduino/Raspberry Pi (don't really need either of these TBH)
Antibacterial underwear
Something from Scottevest
Biometric USB stick
Voucher in country we plan to go to

Appreciate your help - thanks!!

pdxbator

• Stubble
Re: What do I want for Christmas?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2014, 03:02:32 PM »
I'm having the same issue. My husband and I don't do Christmas as his birthday is Dec 24. My birthday is January and he's pressuring me now for things I might need. We only do useful gifting, and I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas. Me low 40s urban male. Thoughts?

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2014, 03:11:26 PM »
Could you request something special that takes time (and maybe money too) and makes memories together, instead of costing money in exchange for 'stuff'?

purplepear

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2014, 03:36:52 PM »
I like the Arduino/Rasberry Pi idea, if you know what to do with it. My boyfriend has a Rasberry Pi, and he set it up to be a retro gaming console. http://blog.petrockblock.com/retropie/

It's not too expensive, hardly takes up any space, and can be a great hobby if you like messing around with electronics.

snshijuptr

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2014, 03:47:16 PM »
Experience gifts are the best. A small trip before or after the move? Membership to a zoo/national park/sports arena/art studio/makerspace?

What about e-gifts? ebooks? Website membership? Software? reddit gold?

My husband and I decided to skip gifts this year (we usually do $25 worth of stocking stuffers)  in favor of adopting an animal at our local zoo. We get to visit it once a month and then visit the rest of the zoo.

vagon

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2014, 04:58:45 PM »
Some sort of classes in a hobby you're interested in?
I.e. maybe brewing classes.

dungoofed

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2014, 03:30:38 PM »
Thanks everyone. I viewed the replies on my phone and forgot to come back to it until my wife asked me again last night what I want for Christmas.

And I'm still not decided! haha but I like the brewing course idea. Or potentially a Japanese sake appreciation course.

pdxbator - how'd you go? Come up with anything?

TerriM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2014, 03:51:52 PM »
Something consumable or the Gift Cert for the other country or a travel guide or some such.  Some people feel that a Kindle is a good downsizing gift because your books will no longer take up space--maybe for an overseas move, that might make sense.

h2ogal

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2014, 04:09:07 PM »
I Upvote:

Experience gifts are the best. A small trip before or after the move? Membership to a zoo/national park/sports arena/art studio/makerspace?

What about e-gifts?

Every year DH gets me a Gift Certificate to my favorite Spa/Salon!  Also, the e-gifts of books or music you can take with you!

kib

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2014, 04:18:28 PM »
Does your favorite restaurant offer gift certificates?  Let's you kill two birds with one stone - a personalized gift and then you get to save your own money when the next special occasion comes up.  I received a year's membership in our local indie theatre and loved it, for a year I could go to arty original flicks for the same price as the discount theatre showing mostly crap.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 04:20:56 PM by frufrau »

Prairie Stash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2014, 04:37:25 PM »
I ask for donations to a charity. Lately that means Ronald Macdonald House, they help out families with sick kids, it makes me happy when I see the card with the donation. People can also donate time to my choice of charities, that's cool too.