Author Topic: What did you tell people at work?  (Read 6254 times)

firedup

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
What did you tell people at work?
« on: October 07, 2014, 09:12:32 PM »
I am having such a hard time with this one. I am not a phony person and I refuse to tell people the truth. Hubby & sis say I am worrying for nothing because I am sure to just quit and walk out before I made it to my target date. But if I give my notice I am sure to have questions to answer. They all know hubby is "retired" so their questions will be blunt. I hate my job and my co-workers in my direct office so I could care less what they say other than I do not want to deal with it. They are like bullies on the playground. There are others that I like in other depts. but I still don't really want to tell all.

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What did you tell people at work?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2014, 09:15:55 PM »
You don't have to give a reason for quitting... Just say you quit and you are done! Tell you don't want to answer any questions... What is the worst they can do? Fire you?

InsourceEverything

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Insource Everything
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2014, 09:36:44 PM »
I would agree with cutenila that you don't owe them anything.  But if you feel you need to say something, just say that you are taking some time off for personal reasons

Cyrano

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014, 05:03:41 AM »
I want to spend more time with my parents while I can.

If your coworkers are the uncaring bullies you perceive them as, they'll leave it alone.

DecD

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2014, 05:44:23 AM »
"I'm leaving to pursue other opportunities."

They don't need to know those opportunities involve sleeping in every morning!

VirginiaBob

• Bristles
    • LRJ Discounters
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2014, 06:01:54 AM »
Tell them you are a person of interest in a court case where a bunch of employees from your previous employment were all mysteriously murdered.

Chrissy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2014, 09:10:13 AM »
There's no law that says you have to give notice.  Some people will think you impolite, or even, in some way, dishonorable.  So what?  Your days of caring what other people think will be over!

You don't even have to quit on site; do it in a phone call or an email.

retired?

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2014, 09:23:25 AM »
Yep.  No need to say anything.

Many places have an "exit interview".  Up to you whether to participate.  When I quite my first job, I gave a fairly direct and negative review of my manager.  Was told about 5 years after I quit that it actually played a part in having that person moved to a place where he could do no harm.  i.e. it may not be immediate, but constructive feedback can have an impact.  Often takes a while, but they should appreciate sincere feedback.

frugaliknowit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2014, 09:39:07 AM »
Do what's in your interests.  Even though you plan to not work anymore, don't assume you never will.  For this reason, leave notice, remain pleasant, don't burn any bridges, don't provide any negative feedback.

As for why you're leaving, just say something neutral, like you want more time to yourself to enjoy hobbies, children/grandchildren, volunteer work.

firedup

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2014, 06:12:20 PM »
Tell them you are a person of interest in a court case where a bunch of employees from your previous employment were all mysteriously murdered.

LOL......they would probably believe this one. I do PI work.

Thanks for all the great replies.  I have thought of so many of them on both ends of the spectrum. I have thought about another job but I am so burnt out that I just can't do it now. Maybe down the road if I need/want to. My reasons for staying till spring are more about financial planetary alignment in several areas.

When they fire or push people out they send out notices saying they left to persue others interests so I am avoiding that one for sure. Although.... that would throw them off. hee hee

sleepyguy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2014, 06:33:45 PM »
Alot of MMM is not giving a shits what the "general" public think.

Walk-in... I quit... enjoy life.

Spartana

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2014, 07:07:08 PM »
 I didn't mention early retirement or anything like that (and actually had planned to go back to work someday at that point). Just said I wanted to do some things while I was younger that I couldn't do if I waited (they knew I played a sport and was planning to pursue that at a higher level then I could while working). So it was no biggie. I did stay on for awhile to help get things sorted out but what was suppose to be "occasional" began to creep into "often" so after a year of breaking in the new guy I quit doing that. But in any case, unless you have a desire to tell people about FIRE, I'd wouldn't get into too much details.