Poll

What did you/would you spend on your bike? (Canadian or US currency)  This includes everything you would have to spend to get it in good running order if buying used.

Under $100
$100 - $300
$300 - $600
$600 - $800
$800 and above

Author Topic: What did you spend on your bike?  (Read 43067 times)

zinnie

• Pencil Stache
Re: What did you spend on your bike?
« Reply #50 on: August 05, 2013, 12:36:03 PM »
My current bike was a gift, but it was around $600 and I'd be happy to spend that much myself.

It is awesome and I don't really see bicycle purchasing as an area I need to be super frugal in.

Miss Stachio

• Stubble
« Reply #51 on: August 05, 2013, 04:12:11 PM »
$20 on a Pugeot at a garage sale about 9 years ago.  Had to change an inner tube ($4?) to get it in good running shape.  Looked like it had been in storage for 20 years.  It's still my daily commuter bike.

mgreczyn

« Reply #52 on: August 05, 2013, 04:39:59 PM »
Which one? 
Mountain Bike - $1,500 in 2003
Road Bike - $2,000 in 2005
Commuter bike (OK, really an ancient steel frame mountain bike) - $20 (twenty) plus $100 on new brakes after 5 years

wing117

• Stubble
« Reply #53 on: August 05, 2013, 05:58:09 PM »
$360 for a new 2009 Giant Rincon bought in 2010, but have had to outfit myself recently with the 'extras' that have added up to another $280.

"Extras":
Helmet, new tires (semi slicks), bike pump, touring rack, waterproof pannier, degreaser/lube, bike lights, bicycle multi-tool, and extra tube.

On the list to get:
Repair stand, floor pump, ergon 2 grips, new brake pads

Love the beefiness of the Rincon and I ride 6 miles worth of gravel every day now so the mtb frame comes in handy (The gravel is why the ergon grips are on my wish list). It is due up for a serious overhaul and cleaning soon though. The only thing I'd turn this bike in for is a Surly Long Haul Trucker.

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #54 on: August 05, 2013, 08:47:17 PM »
No offense intended to anybody posting on here, but I don't understand why anybody would pay $1000 for a bicycle.  Isn't the Mustachian point of getting a bicycle to save money from not using your car?  It would take forever to get back the cost savings from buying a $1000 bicycle.

YK-Phil

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #55 on: August 05, 2013, 09:07:52 PM »
No offense intended to anybody posting on here, but I don't understand why anybody would pay $1000 for a bicycle.  Isn't the Mustachian point of getting a bicycle to save money from not using your car?  It would take forever to get back the cost savings from buying a $1000 bicycle.

I tend to agree with most of your comment, except the last part about the cost savings. If I remember well, I paid $20 for my bike, an early 70s 10-speed steel-frame bike in excellent condition, which I stripped down of all its brake and gears, and rebuilt the back wheel into a single-speed with coaster brake for perhaps $30 bucks of parts, if not less, and equipped with home-made paniers and baskets that didn't cost anything but my time. I've been using it to run errands almost every day of the year, under the sometimes sunny, sometimes rainy and often snowy skies of Calgary and for Sunday rides with my wife, who rides a cool vintage British folding bikes bought for $70 at the local community bike shop. Admittedly, I wouldn't use my bike for any other purpose than what I am using it now, and certainly not for trail riding or sports, or even for a long commute to work. In this respect, i can understand why someone would fork a $1,000 or so for a good quality bike that has the perfect setup, and that will give the rider years if not decades of use and enjoyment. In this regards, the investment is minor, especially that such bikes, with proper care and maintenance, will last twenty years or more. Over such a long period of time, the cost of owning a great bicycle, even considering repairs and maintenance (extremely cheap compared to those of a car), would be extremely low compared to other forms of transportation.

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #56 on: August 05, 2013, 09:18:45 PM »
Isn't the Mustachian point of getting a bicycle to save money from not using your car?

The Mustachian point of anything is to spend resources on things that are worth it to you, and don't spend resources on things that aren't. Along with some other things maybe, but that's one of the bigger lessons.

That's no more than my opinion/interpretation, of course

mgreczyn

« Reply #57 on: August 05, 2013, 10:23:45 PM »
For me the point was, well, to ride bikes for fun.  My financial philosophies have changed much since those days, but the level of contentment I derive TO THIS DAY from doing a tough trail ride or a Sunday morning road ride is well worth the cash outlay.  When I bought the bikes I was in my mid twenties and single.  I won't try to argue that it was the BEST use of money, but I sure could have found something WORSE to spend it on and I would definitely do it again given the chance (which I certainly can't say of all my splurges from those days).  Before the bikes I drank way too much, ate an extremely unhealthy diet and the only form of exercise I regularly engaged in was weight lifting.  These factors combined with what I suspect is a genetic predisposition for high blood pressure to produce an entirely predictable result.  After I spent a total of $3500 on mountain and road bikes and took up sprint triathlons my BP was under control and I was much happier.  You could even say that it saved my job, as the flight docs had started giving me funny looks when they took my BP and were talking crazy stuff about low sodium diets and medication.

kms

• Bristles
  • Minion Money Hippie
« Reply #58 on: August 06, 2013, 01:27:03 AM »
I currently own three bikes, although one needs some attention and one is more of a hobby/project (see below).

The bike that I use for my daily commute as well as all other errands (we don't even own a car) is a somewhere between 1992 an 1994 Bavaria Trekking bike. Simple construction, steel frame, no suspension. The bike itself was completely free, I saved it from being scrapped bout three years ago. It was in mint condition, tires 10 years old but barely used, and the chain was missing. I'm guessing that the previous owner bought it in the 90s, then barely used it and decided to throw it away once the chain snapped. After saving it I've invested somewhere around US $100 in a hub dynamo, LED front light and back light, and obviously a new chain. After around 15,000km it's still going strong and will probably serve me for a long time.

My previous bike, the one that currently needs some attention, was US $50. I bought it on a flea market after my previous one got stolen. I had to invest another US $50 in new tires and some consumables, but it lasted for a couple of years until I found the Bavaria one that fits better. Recently I found out that it's a Bill Grove Innovations frame that's supposed to be either really good or really rare or both. The third bike is a 1976 Hercules Estrella that I found in the shared basement of our apartment building. It belonged to one of our neighbors and since he didn't need it anymore he gave it to me for free. It's also in mint condition, no rust and generally speaking working, just needs new tires. I'm trying to rebuild this one for as little money as possible (aka free) and then either give it away again or use it as sort of a retro bike whenever I need to look shiny and all hipster like :-)

omegashop333

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #59 on: August 06, 2013, 02:36:17 AM »
I go to a salvation army store in the ritzy part of town. Nice bikes for 50-80 bucks all day long....half price on Wednesday's($25-40). They also replace and repair at the same local.

Mike

• Stubble
« Reply #60 on: August 06, 2013, 03:53:50 AM »
Even a higher-end bike is going to cost far less than a car on a per-mile basis. 

If you drive 6000 miles per year @ 30mpg with avg gas cost of $3.50 / gal, that's $700 annually just for the gas.  Add on the cost of auto insurance, and your total outlay is over $1000 - even with a low-cost policy.  And all of this ignores the cost of maintaining the car - which can be quite significant depending on how old it is and what issues it has.  Even newer cars will cost $100+/yr to keep up with the maintenance schedules (oil changes, tire rotations, etc).

An annual bike tune-up will only run you about $75.

Half-Borg

• Bristles
« Reply #61 on: August 06, 2013, 05:26:13 AM »
I got my trekking bike for 55€ at a garage sale. Great condition, does not look like it needs any maintenance soon.
I had a 600€ bike before, which got stolen. I am never paying a lot of money for a bike again.

Theadyn

• Stubble
« Reply #62 on: August 06, 2013, 05:36:53 AM »
Mine was free just for asking around and I use it for fun.

Peanut Butter

• Stubble
« Reply #63 on: August 06, 2013, 06:09:49 AM »
I have two bicycles. The first is a 1987 Schwinn Tempo. I actually got the bike for free - I had been saving up for a bicycle (hadn't ridden since I was a kid) and my boss found it in her garage, left by the former owners of the house. It was in decent shape, but things like the brake pads, tires, bar tape, etc needed replacing. I think I spent about $80 on that, (it came with a rack) plus panniers, fenders, lights, etc.
Here it is as it came when I got it back from the bike shop that first time:

Here it is now, as my have-fun/go-fast bicycle:

I was thinking about getting it rebuilt so that it had a more modern drivetrain, but since it's all stock with some awesome custom touches (like Mavic Rims and Bullseye hubs) I'm going to keep it like it is and get a newer aluminum road bike at some point, probably end of October.

I bought my utility/commuter bicycle in May 2012 - Windsor Kensington 8 from Bikesdirect.com for $450.

Now it has a VeloOrange Campeur rear rack and a giant Wald front basket on it. I need to shine it up and take some more pictures.

madage

• Bristles
« Reply #64 on: August 06, 2013, 06:28:01 AM »
Fun times. I have a 1995 Mongoose IBOC Comp SX mountain bike. I purchased it new with earnings from my paper route (quick aside - I'm very sad my kids probably won't be able to have a paper route, given the way the newspaper business is going) and shipped it to Europe when my family spent six months there. I think I spent about $1000 after all the accessories. I still ride it today, though now the bike spends 100% of its travel time on asphalt. Anyone have a recommendation for some 26" commuter tires? I still have knobbies on it. Some here may not remember, but Mongoose used to be a respectable brand...

I had a great time riding up and down the foothills of the Swiss Alps on my bike. It's a shame how little I rode it once I got my driver's license after returning to the US. Probably partly due to the comparatively lacking scenery in the Midwest. Trying to make up for lost time now.

MakingSenseofCents

• Bristles
    • Making Sense of Cents
« Reply #65 on: August 06, 2013, 08:16:25 AM »
My bike was around $450, but I do wish I would have spent more time researching and determining which bike I bought.

Peanut Butter

• Stubble
« Reply #66 on: August 06, 2013, 09:14:41 AM »
Anyone have a recommendation for some 26" commuter tires? I still have knobbies on it.

If it has enough clearance, I'd go for Schwalbe Big Apples. Expensive, but bullet proof and very cushy ride.

acc7x3

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #67 on: August 06, 2013, 09:48:27 AM »
1980's Schwinn World Sport.
150 on craigslist and another 100 or "tires, tubes, etc."

belgiandude

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #68 on: August 06, 2013, 02:25:25 PM »
About 5 euro (second hand). It is my main form of transportation, i.e. I cycle around 120 kilometers per week with it. :)

calskin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #69 on: August 06, 2013, 06:58:15 PM »
@Peanut Butter - Beautiful Bikes!

palebluedot

• Stubble
« Reply #70 on: August 06, 2013, 08:28:04 PM »
I am looking to buy my first bike since I was a kid.

Is this one a good value?
http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_557556_-1___202383

I am looking to use it for errands and going to my part time job on weekends (5 miles each way). I'd love to eventually ride to school and my main job on weekdays but I'm not sure I would have enough time in between to get to class on time.

michelle

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #71 on: August 06, 2013, 08:44:02 PM »
Just upgraded this weekend. Nearly new Specialized Vita Comp $550 used from Craigslist.  I think about $1000 retail. I absolutely love it!

Rollin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #72 on: August 07, 2013, 02:21:09 PM »
Non-Mustachian prices for my three bikes (just sold the fourth for $1,100 on CL).  However, they are all used very often and worth every penny to me.  Part of riding is enjoying a well-built and smooth-operating bike.  I also like good looking bikes too so that often adds to the price for me.

Rollin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #73 on: August 07, 2013, 02:26:46 PM »
I am looking to buy my first bike since I was a kid.

Is this one a good value?
http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_557556_-1___202383

I am looking to use it for errands and going to my part time job on weekends (5 miles each way). I'd love to eventually ride to school and my main job on weekdays but I'm not sure I would have enough time in between to get to class on time.

Slightly on the expensive side for a single speed (and likely heavy) bike.  I would also think that the top of fork and headset setup would not be very stable (would feel wobbly).  For just a few dollars more you might be able to pick up a better bike - you are on the threshold between "not so good' and "good" bikes.

I do like the integrated rack and the simplicity though.  Don't let me talk you out of it.  If it gets you out riding and you enjoy that - that is the most important thing!

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #74 on: August 07, 2013, 02:39:34 PM »
Anyone have a recommendation for some 26" commuter tires? I still have knobbies on it.

I used some 26" 1.5 inch Kenda Kwest tires and thought they were pretty decent for cheapies.

livetogive

• Stubble
« Reply #75 on: August 08, 2013, 09:57:34 AM »
$600 or so shipped new with pedals for a nashbar CX-1.

First commute to work was today! 

cambridgecyclist

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #76 on: August 08, 2013, 10:33:52 AM »
I spent an embarrassing amount on my commuter bicycle. It is a titanium touring bike. I fully expect it to last longer than I do, though... and it's still a fraction of the cost of a car.

PantsOnFire

• Stubble
« Reply #77 on: August 08, 2013, 11:28:33 AM »
My most recent road bike build was a smidge over $1800 including all taxes, shipping, and estimated costs of the "parts bin" items I already had on hand.  Decidedly antimustachian, but at least I save a grand or so building it myself. 

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #78 on: August 08, 2013, 12:03:49 PM »
I spent about 700$ all-told for my summer touring bike, and about 350$ for my winter hybrid bike.  Both are comfortable, quick, and run really well.

Being a little OCD, I track all the distance I cycle.  I've gone a bit over 1300 miles since buying these bikes . . . mostly for groceries/commuting that I would have used the car for otherwise . . . so, if MMMs 51 cents per mile cost of car ownership holds true I would have spent 663$ driving that distance.  I should break even some time next year, and be well into the green the year after that.

The difference that having a machine in decent shape that you can rely on vs the free, but crappy (and constantly in need of repair) older mountain bike that I had been using before is huge.  I don't feel like the money I spent on my bikes was wasted.

enigmaT120

• Bristles
« Reply #79 on: August 08, 2013, 12:41:30 PM »
My 2012 Salsa Fargo 2, by the time I set it up with front and rear racks and Ortleib panniers (9 months of rain where I live) was almost $2,000.  It took me 10 months of bicycle commuting (with a free and good quality, but poorly fitting bike) to save that up, in gas savings alone, as I have a face-punchingly long commute and won't move.  My employer buys a commuter bus pass, so if I ride to where I catch the bus the commute is free.

I ride on gravel roads all the time, and wish to tour up in the logging roads of the Oregon coast range. 

PantsOnFire

• Stubble
« Reply #80 on: August 08, 2013, 02:17:41 PM »
It just occurred to me that I probably have more money in cycling clothing than I do in the bikes themselves. 

deciduous

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #81 on: August 08, 2013, 07:23:46 PM »
My bike was a hand-me-down from my father, which is the main reason it's one of my most cherished possessions. I've probably put about $600-1000 into it over the last decade, part by part. It's due for a tune-up, actually, and I might rebuild the drivetrain to granny it up a little.

I am interested in buying a second bike, a beater. I specifically want something to use on rainy days and when I'm going to be leaving it locked up outside for a while; I'm paranoid about security because it means so much to me. So I'd love to spend $150 for something that's rusty and not stylish, but basically alright.

I don't suppose there are any good clues when browsing craigslist to determine whether a bike was stolen?

-pl-

yahui168

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #82 on: August 08, 2013, 09:39:50 PM »
My wife and I haven't bought a bike in 20 years. My wife asked me to find her a bike so I showed her a new bike online. She took one look at it and said "$200! I'm not spending $200 on a bike!" It was literally one of the cheapest new bikes I can find. She's okay with a used bike but finding a decent used bike for under $100 on Craigslist has been *challenging*.

jfer_rose

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Pencil Stache
« Reply #83 on: August 09, 2013, 05:32:42 AM »
My wife and I haven't bought a bike in 20 years. My wife asked me to find her a bike so I showed her a new bike online. She took one look at it and said "$200! I'm not spending $200 on a bike!" It was literally one of the cheapest new bikes I can find. She's okay with a used bike but finding a decent used bike for under $100 on Craigslist has been *challenging*.

You dodged a bullet with her not liking the $200 bike. If you're looking at new, rather than used, bikes, chances are you're not going to get good enough quality below the $400-$500 dollar MSRP. A cheapo new bike will likely result in spending lots of money on the bike or on not riding it because it is so uncomfortable.

For used bikes, if you're striking out on Craiglist at your price point, you might have better luck at garage sales.

mgreczyn

« Reply #84 on: August 09, 2013, 06:23:45 AM »
A cheap bike sitting unused in your garage will cost you way more than an expensive new bike that you ride all the time.

Jwesleym

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #85 on: August 09, 2013, 09:31:38 PM »
I had a contest with friends to "trade up" using craigslist.  I had to start with a free item, so I found a punching bag in the trash in my neighborhood.  I traded it to a guy for a PSP and some games.  Then I found someone willing to trade for a Schwinn mountain bike.  While I was there I talked to them about my family and they threw in a kids bike as well.  So, I got the bikes for free, didn't win the contest.  My friend managed to get an iPad with his trading.  The bikes were great, they just needed some air in the tires and worked great!

Since then (about 6 months) I have added some things to the bike to make it more useful as a commuter.  Nashbar street tires, panniers, and bags totaling an embarrassing $170.  I do ride it to work a lot, and live 2.8-5 miles from work depending on which side of the base I have to go to that day.  So, the money has been worth it for me.

It just occurred to me that I probably have more money in cycling clothing than I do in the bikes themselves. 

I don't understand the "cycling clothing" thing, there are a LOT of people around here in Hawaii that ride $5000 bikes and wear nut huggers and tight shirts.  I don't see the need to show off my family jewels to ride my bike to work.  As it turns out, shorts and a T-shirt work just fine.  It is very windy some days, so I'm probably losing 1-2 mph due to drag.  Is it really that important to look like I'm sponsored by Trek to ride to work? You can keep your grape smugglers, thanks.

beltim

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #86 on: August 10, 2013, 01:17:30 AM »
I swear I'm not a troll, but I don't have a bike.  Yes, I've read MMM's post.  However, I feel pretty good that my car is worth far less than the average amount spent on bikes in this thread.  I'm moving in a few months after I graduate, when I will sell my car and look into getting a bike then.  This poll is still pretty interesting, if only for planning.

Can I ask you folks a question, though?  Why do almost all bicyclists I see wear tight-fitting Lycra clothes that are plastered with brands that I assume are related to cycling.  Where I live, I'm sure I see some professional riders,  but I can't imagine that 90+% of the cyclists I see are sponsored.  And none of my European or Asian friend who ride bikes have these clothes, so I'm guessing they're a particularly American phenomenon.  Can anyone explain why?

jfer_rose

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Pencil Stache
« Reply #87 on: August 10, 2013, 03:58:04 AM »
Can I ask you folks a question, though?  Why do almost all bicyclists I see wear tight-fitting Lycra clothes that are plastered with brands that I assume are related to cycling.  Where I live, I'm sure I see some professional riders,  but I can't imagine that 90+% of the cyclists I see are sponsored.  And none of my European or Asian friend who ride bikes have these clothes, so I'm guessing they're a particularly American phenomenon.  Can anyone explain why?

It's just part of the un-Mustachian culture of the US. People are convinced that every new activity requires stuff. In big cities I think this trend is reversing though. There's the Cycle Chic movement plus Grant Petersen's book "Just Ride" which are just a couple examples about why that's changing. I see just as many people commuting by bike in suits here as I see commuters in racing gear. Well, ok, I don't see so many people wearing suits in the sweltering summer months, but certainly even in summer most people are wearing normal clothes here, tee shirts, shorts, etc. There is no need for racing gear if you're not racing and I think a lot of people are figuring that out.

An aside, I think that the opening of Capital Bikeshare has helped in this regard here in DC. When you're using a bike as if it were public transit, it just makes sense to wear whatever clothes you happen to be wearing.

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #88 on: August 10, 2013, 06:37:58 AM »

Sure there's no need for it, but they do have their use, the shorts especially. The fabric helps you stay cool, and the tight fit helps you not feel like you're dragging a parachute. Most people know about that. Further though, there's the padding in the shorts which helps with saddle soreness and is not the same as having a softer saddle. There's the chafing reduction given by the tight shorts (this is why you're not supposed to wear your undies under bike shorts). And there's the jersey pockets, which are in the only convenient place for a cyclist to have pockets - on the back.

None of these are really necessary for bumming around town or hitting the multi-use path for a leisurely Saturday morning ride. The inconvenience and goofy looks make their perceived value even less in those casual situations. But when I ride over 10 miles, whether it's for transportation or fun, you'd better believe I'll be wearing at least a pair of cycling bibs under my shorts (with shorts only so I can get into wherever I'm going).

I doubt they're primarily an American thing; I would just suppose your Euro and Asian friends don't ride very far when to do go places and therefore have little use for bike clothes. Here in the states, those cyclists are usually stuck on the multi-use path, so you only see the Lycra dudes on the road. In my experience living in a city where many people bike, almost nobody wears Lycra. That's just my experience though, and YM obviously V's

Albert

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #89 on: August 10, 2013, 07:05:07 AM »
I don't have any bike clothes other than a helmet, but I don't use my hybrid bike for road racing and rarely if ever ride more than 40 km a day. If I wanted to do either thing I'd buy them. Several colleagues at work are really serious about cycling (one is currently on a cycling trip in Kyrgyzstan, another is training for a marathon) and they have a very good equipment including all the proper clothing.

Runge

• Stubble
« Reply #90 on: August 10, 2013, 10:05:28 AM »
If that happens in my lifetime, then I'm going build a frame from hardwood or bamboo so I can stand on my statement that I'm "not buying another." To be honest, I'm kinda hoping it does crack; frame-building sounds fun.

About 20 years ago, my dad made his own frame out of aluminum. Only issues it had were due to cracks forming in the welds because he became overweight. He didn't have an oven to heat treat the welds at the time. I inherited the bike after he fixed the welds, and it still performs well today. Oh and it's designed to be a road bike.

Kriegsspiel

« Reply #91 on: August 10, 2013, 10:07:58 AM »
I've lived throughout the US, and in Germany, and there were FAR, FAR more riders wearing tight bike clothes in Germany than anywhere in the US. My anecdote cancels out your anecdote.

beltim

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #92 on: August 10, 2013, 10:57:11 AM »

Sure there's no need for it, but they do have their use, the shorts especially. The fabric helps you stay cool, and the tight fit helps you not feel like you're dragging a parachute. Most people know about that. Further though, there's the padding in the shorts which helps with saddle soreness and is not the same as having a softer saddle. There's the chafing reduction given by the tight shorts (this is why you're not supposed to wear your undies under bike shorts). And there's the jersey pockets, which are in the only convenient place for a cyclist to have pockets - on the back.

None of these are really necessary for bumming around town or hitting the multi-use path for a leisurely Saturday morning ride. The inconvenience and goofy looks make their perceived value even less in those casual situations. But when I ride over 10 miles, whether it's for transportation or fun, you'd better believe I'll be wearing at least a pair of cycling bibs under my shorts (with shorts only so I can get into wherever I'm going).

I doubt they're primarily an American thing; I would just suppose your Euro and Asian friends don't ride very far when to do go places and therefore have little use for bike clothes. Here in the states, those cyclists are usually stuck on the multi-use path, so you only see the Lycra dudes on the road. In my experience living in a city where many people bike, almost nobody wears Lycra. That's just my experience though, and YM obviously V's

I don't doubt that the material is useful.  What I really don't understand is why it's all plastered with brands.  I'm guessing since I don't recognize the brands they're cycling brands.  I guess it could be explained by  jfer_rose's comment that "people are convinced that every new activity requires stuff."  I live in the 8th most populous city in the US, though, so I don't think it's changing strictly based on big cities.

Kriegsspiel, most of my German friends drive.  There may be self-selection in the Germans who come to the US, but they bike at a far lower rate than other Europeans in the US.

girly mustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #93 on: August 10, 2013, 11:20:56 AM »
This is the first time I've ever told anyone this -- but I spent $3200 on an OHM Commuter with Bionx (electric bike) and I love it. I love it love it love it -- but also feel a little sick to my stomach that I spent so much money.

I used it to commute (with a trailer I'd drop my daughter off at school then commute to work and back - about a 32 mile round trip. Even with the motor, it was physically demanding for me to ride this far. When I purchased the OHM I had not ridden since I was a kid - and literally had range anxiety that I would get stuck somewhere and not be able to make it home.

I've since changed jobs and do not ride to the new job (there's a 4 lane hghway with little shoulder and many 18-wheels trucks - I'm just not comfortable with it) - so I now also have a folding Dahon (spent $500/new) that I ride to the bus stop and from the bus to work with as well as a Specialized bike that I bought used on CL for $450. My only real regret is that I didn't buy all the bikes used - I looked for about 6 months for the OHM used - but never found one - and bought the Dahon after only looking for a couple weeks for a folder on CL. I still have a car and drive as needed -- but love being able to use my bike to commute or ride locally....

There are some very badass people here -- I feel badass for just being able to not feel car dependent - it's a smaller badass - but I'm still pretty proud of it.

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #94 on: August 10, 2013, 11:29:15 AM »
I don't doubt that the material is useful.  What I really don't understand is why it's all plastered with brands.  I'm guessing since I don't recognize the brands they're cycling brands.  I guess it could be explained by  jfer_rose's comment that "people are convinced that every new activity requires stuff."  I live in the 8th most populous city in the US, though, so I don't think it's changing strictly based on big cities.

Alright, I feel like you're asking two different questions, which I suppose explains the misunderstanding above. As to why cycling clothes are often covered in branding, there are a few reasons that I see:
-People wear protour jerseys on casual rides like they wear baseball jerseys to baseball games. It's a way to support your team, feel more involved, or whatever. I don't do it so I don't know all of those people's motivations, but they're similar to any sport.
-A surprising number of people actually are on racing teams with unique team kits. They're not "sponsored" in that they're professional, but their team probably gets some money to do cool things a couple of times a year. These people represent the majority of the NASCAR-style kits that have 10-15 sponsors per uniform.
-Middle-of-the-road cycling clothing often has a huge logo representing the clothing brand. Cheap clothes and very expensive clothes usually don't do this. Again, I don't wear these so I don't know all the motivations, but they may include showing pride in a relatively expensive purchase, liking the looks of the logo (some are very stylish), or maybe even deciding that the logo was tolerable in exchange for more comfortable clothes even if they don't like the look.

I don't think "people are convinced that every new activity requires stuff" explains the prominence of corporate logos on cycling gear. That seems more to me like a somewhat pessimistic anti-consumerist answer to the question of "why do people wear cycling clothing", which is what I thought you were asking before.

Kriegsspiel, most of my German friends drive.  There may be self-selection in the Germans who come to the US, but they bike at a far lower rate than other Europeans in the US.

All of my German friends in the US ride bikes, while few of my other European friends who live here do (and I'm not just making this up to fuck with you). I don't believe this is the sort of thing you can make sweeping generalizations about with nothing more than a few anecdotes.

beltim

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #95 on: August 10, 2013, 12:08:02 PM »

Alright, I feel like you're asking two different questions, which I suppose explains the misunderstanding above. As to why cycling clothes are often covered in branding, there are a few reasons that I see:
-People wear protour jerseys on casual rides like they wear baseball jerseys to baseball games. It's a way to support your team, feel more involved, or whatever. I don't do it so I don't know all of those people's motivations, but they're similar to any sport.
-A surprising number of people actually are on racing teams with unique team kits. They're not "sponsored" in that they're professional, but their team probably gets some money to do cool things a couple of times a year. These people represent the majority of the NASCAR-style kits that have 10-15 sponsors per uniform.
-Middle-of-the-road cycling clothing often has a huge logo representing the clothing brand. Cheap clothes and very expensive clothes usually don't do this. Again, I don't wear these so I don't know all the motivations, but they may include showing pride in a relatively expensive purchase, liking the looks of the logo (some are very stylish), or maybe even deciding that the logo was tolerable in exchange for more comfortable clothes even if they don't like the look.

I don't think "people are convinced that every new activity requires stuff" explains the prominence of corporate logos on cycling gear. That seems more to me like a somewhat pessimistic anti-consumerist answer to the question of "why do people wear cycling clothing", which is what I thought you were asking before.

All of my German friends in the US ride bikes, while few of my other European friends who live here do (and I'm not just making this up to fuck with you). I don't believe this is the sort of thing you can make sweeping generalizations about with nothing more than a few anecdotes.

Russ, thanks for a thoughtful response.  I guess cycling is different from the sports that I play in wearing apparel.  Sure, people wear baseball jerseys to baseball games, but when I play softball, no one wear a Derek Jeter jersey.  Similarly, people don't wear soccer jerseys when I play soccer or football jerseys when I play football.  But I get that it's a way of showing support for your team, and that makes sense to me.

I didn't realize racing teams were so common.  That definitely explains some of the large groups that I see with NASCAR-style branding.

As for German friends biking, I don't think you're making stuff up.  And I wasn't trying to make sweeping generaliations.  I was just wondering if the wearing of biking apparel that I see is an American trait, given that I personally haven't seen my friends from other countries do it.  Kriegsspiel's response was only to a minor detail in my question, and he didn't respond to my actual question at all.  From the helpful responses, I gather that the wearing of bicycle apparel is not unique to Americans.  I think that's interesting.

Albert

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #96 on: August 10, 2013, 12:25:25 PM »
As far as I've noticed in America there is a larger percentage of cyclists who are treating it as a sport or form of exercise as opposed to a form of transportation thus higher percentage of specialised biking gear. This of course directly related to cycling being far less widespread in certain areas of Europe.

By the way cycling is not popular everywhere on the continent. For example, I don't think I saw a single bike last time I was in Italy.

Jwesleym

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #97 on: August 10, 2013, 02:35:26 PM »

I can understand the padding part, but it just seems that it is overkill to wear the stuff unless maybe training for a tri or something IMHO.  But, from my perspective, I only ride 10 miles per day max.  Also, I have a large padded saddle, so not much saddle soreness since I got through the initial acclimation.

**I think this topic has been somewhat derailed**

turboseize

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • I adore beauty, be it human, machine or in nature.
    • My blog
« Reply #98 on: November 02, 2013, 12:56:16 PM »

If it has enough clearance, I'd go for Schwalbe Big Apples. Expensive, but bullet proof and very cushy ride.

Either Big apple or some of the wider Schalbe Marathon. Marathons are less comfortable, but nearly absolutely indestructible. They come in different profiles and rubber compound, depending on use.
They're expensive, of course.

- - - - - - - - -

As to cycling clothing: in everyday use, nearly nobody here in Berlin or in Munich or any other bigger german city I've been to uses specialised cycling gear (besides helmets). However, all these trips are relatively short distances (5-10km).

People doing longer rides will use cycling clothing - for the reasons explained above. Bike shorts greatly reduce saddle soreness (which a soft saddle won't!).
I do have to admit I also have "branded" cycling clothing: a "Banesto" vest I bought when I was 16 or 17 and a certain Mr. Indurain happened to be very popular. ;-)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 01:14:59 PM by turboseize »

ruthiegirl

• Bristles
« Reply #99 on: November 02, 2013, 03:20:46 PM »
Well, this topic has derailed a bit, but I'll answer the original question.  I spent a lot. 

$1800 for a big cargo bike outfitted with a baby seat, panniers and a big front basket.  I use it daily to take kids to and from school and grocery shop. 

And I bike in my jeans and cute boots.