Poll

What did you/would you spend on your bike? (Canadian or US currency)  This includes everything you would have to spend to get it in good running order if buying used.

Under $100
$100 - $300
$300 - $600
$600 - $800
$800 and above

Author Topic: What did you spend on your bike?  (Read 43065 times)

calskin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
What did you spend on your bike?
« on: August 02, 2013, 02:09:17 PM »
I'm wondering what value Mustachians put on their bikes.  Please post a comment on what you use your bike for too.

EDIT
I just want to say there's no judgement at all coming from me.  I'm just a Jr Mustachian wondering what is a realistic amount I should be looking to spend.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 02:35:21 PM by calskin »

MrBrokeAssMustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: What did you spend on your bike?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 02:26:51 PM »
My bike was just a little over $1000. That may seem high, but it's my hobby, my main form of transport (i'm currently trying to sell my car), and because of it's steel frame and quailty components it should last a very long time.

rocketman48097

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 02:30:18 PM »
I spent $270 on a Schwinn Hybrid from Target, plus sales taxes.  Don't let anyone fool you that you need an expensive bike to commute.  It has worked out great and if you need repairs, bike shops do these for DIRT CHEAP, even the replacement parts are cheap.  I also will ride to the grocery store on my bike, and anywhere else I can think of.  I use mine for transportation, with the big incentive of cheap exercise and it saves me time because I would have to commute 10 minutes by car, each way, to work if I didn't bike. 

MilwaukeeStubble

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 02:32:11 PM »
I put in 600-800.

I bought new from someone I know who owns a bike shop.  $750 out the door with fenders, rack and helmet.  Probably should have bought used, but it's a hybrid that I use year round as my main mode of transportation around town and it should last forever so I'll deal with it.

Still have a car but it stays parked for 2-3 weeks at a time (I leave town a lot on weekends)

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2013, 02:45:40 PM »
Road bike: about $1k, but a screamin' deal since I was decent friends with the importer at the time. Used for regional-level racing then, "fitness" and longer endurance rides these days.

sw8 fixie: $350 new, put about $400 of parts on it in the year and a half I have owned it. Used for commuting erryday, and for rolling around town looking cool in my spare time. Too small for me and I don't use it much since I've fixed up the CX bike below, so I'm trying to sell it before I move next week.

CX bike: probably $750 when I got it used 5 years ago. Trashed just about everything racing and crashing, and just rebuilt it a few months ago for $450-ish, replacing everything but the frameset. Probably worth $800-900 now altogether. Now it's used for commuting, bummin' around town, and long rides with unknown quality of roads.

My first road bike was $1050 new, bought on closeout for somewhere around $800 in 2005 or 2006, and sold for $650 last spring.

I know all my bikes are splurges. I don't own a car so I'm ok with that.

DanBrewMan

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2013, 02:48:15 PM »
I got my cannondale CAAD9 for around $700.  It's pricey, but well worth it if you bike a lot.  It's very comfy and lightweight!

StarswirlTheMustached

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2013, 02:54:20 PM »
About $750, all-up (rack, etc.) from a local bike shop. Is it a splurge? Oh, for sure. But it paid for itself after about 10 months of offset bus passes (or 10 months of no-insurance, or about  instantly in not-having-a-car) and I'm quite happy with it. I'd gone through two department-store bikes by then, and was fed up with junk. I hope not to have to buy another, although it is an aluminium frame, and that means it shall crack eventually.
If that happens in my lifetime, then I'm going build a frame from hardwood or bamboo so I can stand on my statement that I'm "not buying another." To be honest, I'm kinda hoping it does crack; frame-building sounds fun.

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2013, 02:56:52 PM »
I don't really remember.  I bought a low end new Trek mountain bike.  I think it was about $300, but that was 13 years ago.  Still works like a champ today.

Although I am starting a new job in 2 weeks that will allow me to bike commute (10 miles) for the first time, so I've been thinking about getting something faster.  But mine still works fine, so it seems like unnecessary spending.

Simple Abundant Living

• Pencil Stache
    • Simple Abundant Living
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2013, 03:08:11 PM »
Just bought my first hybrid bike last night. 2011 Giant escape- $200. I hope that was a good deal, and a good bike. :)

rocketman48097

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2013, 03:28:44 PM »
$200 is cheap and Giant is an excellent brand.  I think you got a great deal.  Remember, repairs are not car repairs, so no need to buy expensive in my opinion.  They are dirt cheap, just make sure you buy a tire gauge with PSI.  I got a flat but only because I never inflated my tires, it was a beginners mistake and one that I have learned from.  Given I live 3.5 miles from work, walking with a flat was a hassle but not enough to give up bike commuting, it just made me smarter and wiser. 

calskin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2013, 03:44:38 PM »
If that happens in my lifetime, then I'm going build a frame from hardwood or bamboo so I can stand on my statement that I'm "not buying another." To be honest, I'm kinda hoping it does crack; frame-building sounds fun.

I LOVE this idea.  I'm not sure if you're an instructables fan, but you should check it out.

ThatGuyFromCanada

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • www.jonathanneufeld.com
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2013, 03:46:43 PM »
I spent nearly $1500 on mine and have cumulatively ridden 4500 km on it with minimal maintenance - totally worth the investment 

Kriegsspiel

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2013, 03:49:35 PM »
'Did' and 'would' are totally different. I can't really remember, but I htink I bought my mountain bike for $100, and sold it for $100. I am pretty sure I bought my road bike for $220 or $230, and I'm trying to sell it for about the same in order to get a touring bike, which I'll probably spend quite a bit more for.

mpbaker22

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2013, 04:05:35 PM »
I've bought 3 bikes in the past 4 years.

The first was a low-end, but nice and new, road bike.  $850.  Though I got help from parents as sort of a last year living at home birthday/Christmas present.

Second was a $80 craigslist mountain-style bike.

Third was a $12.50 Goodwill.  It did need a lot of work, but I only put $10 in parts into it, and now it's running as good as you can expect from a 70's road bike.  Actually gave this one to a grad student friend of mine.

I got my cannondale CAAD9 for around $700.  It's pricey, but well worth it if you bike a lot.  It's very comfy and lightweight!
My road bike is the CAAD 8!  Even though it was $850, it does have over 2000 miles on it, including 172 in the month of July.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 04:07:52 PM by mpbaker22 »

olivia

• Pencil Stache
  • From Consumerism to Minimalism
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2013, 04:06:05 PM »
I spent about $750 total on a Giant Escape 2 hybrid/commuter bike and accessories.  The base price was $500 but I added fenders, a rear rack, pannier bag, lights, a U-lock etc.  It's been perfect for my commute and it's nice and light so I can easily get it in and out of the house.  (We have steps up to our door that are difficult to navigate with the bike, so I have to carry it on my shoulder.)

calskin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2013, 04:06:27 PM »
Just bought my first hybrid bike last night. 2011 Giant escape- $200. I hope that was a good deal, and a good bike. :)

That's an amazing deal!  I would love to get a deal like that.

turboseize

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • I adore beauty, be it human, machine or in nature.
    • My blog
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2013, 04:50:58 PM »
My first everyday bike bike was a vintage peugeot racing bike outfittedt with Schwalbe Marathon tires, fenders, lights and bike racks. Had been my fathers racing bike, then his commuter/trecking bike, and when he bought a new bike, he handed it down to me. I handed it down to my brother when I got my second everyday bike: my grandfathers trecking and winter training bike: an old Gitanes racing bike outfitted with Schwalbe Marathon, fenders, lights and a bike rack... It's still sitting in my basement, waiting for a major overhaul.

My first road bike was a 1976 Cinelli with Campagnolo super record group, handed down to me by my grandfather. Unfortunately, I had a severe accident with a Bernes Mountain Dog (which ran onto the road while I was practicing sprints). I flew more than 10 meters, frame was cracked, rim broken, derailleur cracked...
With the money the dog owners insurance company payed I then bought the components for my first "own" road bike. I researched spare parts catalogues and comparing the parts numbers, I found out Campagnolo was handing parts down: this years Athena derailleur seemed to have been a Chorus part the year before, and before that a Record... That was in the mid-90s, I don't know if Campa still does that. I had a deal with our bike shop: I would buy the parts, but had to assemble it myself under their supervision.  (My parents had been customers to this shop ever since I could walk.) The shop owner insisted I gave him the cracked Cinelli frame because he found it so beautful:  last time I visited them (in the mid-2000s) it was still hanging on the wall. :-)
My new bike has a handmade italian steel frame (Sancineto) and the above described happy mix of Campagnolo components. Leather saddle is still from my grandfathers Cinelli, and of course, I still have it. Have not driven it for a year because of problems with my achilles tendons, but as these have improved significantly in the last months, I might give it a try again.
Bike parts were somewhere around DM 1000,-. This would be around 500€, but if you figure in 17 years of inflation, todays purchasing power might more be around 1000€.

My mountain bike is a vintage steel frame hard tail, no suspension Checker Pig with Shimano Deore XT group (with the exception of the ight shifter, which I had to replace after a crash (commuting to work on a washed-out farm trail, steep ascent, very muddy - that obviously was a pretty dump idea) and could only manage to get a LX. Spare parts situation with Shimano is horrible, at least for older parts. Bought that bike used from a guy I met on the German Saab car forum for 250€. Have some problems with gears not "staying in gear" but jumping around on the rear cassete when exposed to torque. Either I messed up the adjustment after repacing the shifter, or chain is worn. Need to figure that out.

Last year, I bought my wife a commuter bike as a birthday present.  Bought it used, of course. Scott aluminium frame, front suspension, Shimano Alivio components, Schwalbe Marathon tyres, freshly serviced. Not too bad for 150€!
She is not using it to commute (one way 25km, she takes public transport instead), but happily zooms around in town to meet her friends.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 04:55:54 PM by turboseize »

Samsam

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2013, 05:06:12 PM »
Spent around 900 on my road bike (half was paid for through my company's stay fit program), that was before I found MMM.  Had I found MMM before getting the bike, I probably would have made a smarter purchase.  But I am actually riding my bike everywhere and now my SO has a bike as well (about 400 for a hybrid).

m8547

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2013, 06:00:57 PM »
I got my commuter bike free from family. I think it cost a few hundred new in 1999, and I've probably put a couple hundred into it to keep it going as things break/wear out.  It's a steel frame and kind of heavy, but it's 90% as good as a fancy $1k+ road bike, and on my way to work I often pass people on fancy road bikes in fancy bike clothes while I'm wearing my work clothes or regular clothes (it's only a few miles to work and it's cool enough in the morning that I don't get sweaty). Of course people pass me too, since most of the time I just take it easy and cruise along.

I paid $700 for my mountain bike used, and I've put many hundreds of dollars into it (well over $500), but it's worth every penny to me. I got good deals on a few big upgrades (Fox terralogic fork for $200, carbon crankset for $20!), so now it's as good as a bike that would cost a few thousand.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2013, 08:28:50 PM »
Three years ago I spent $400 on CL for a 2008 Bianchi Volpe (steel xcross/touring bike), to which I've probably added $200 in fenders, rack, waterproof panniers, and lights.  Oh, plus another $100 for the bike trailer.  And about $100/year in zipcar costs for those times I really need to drive.

Total costs of bike ownership over the past three years: $1000.

Total savings from selling car: $9600 over three years.
$3.8k for car, $3k in gas, 1.8k insurance, 1k in misc costs like tabs, emissions, and speeding tickets.

Net profit from selling my car and buying a luxury bicycle setup, $8600 and going up every day. 

Plus improved fitness and a general sense of smug badassity for being a hard ass cyclist.

Plus never dealing with traffic jams or having to find parking, which were significantly contributing to my total daily stress load.

Plus not buying dead dinosaur goo from foreign countries that want to kill us.

Plus not contributing quite so much to atmospheric CO2 levels.

Plus that smug badassity.

mrpress

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2013, 08:40:49 PM »
Right around 500 for my hybrid (new) plus helmet, bike shorts, seat bag. Since then added a rack, lights, drop-style bar ends, cargo trailer. Saving up for a fancy pants road bike next summer. Would like to go used but hard to find one big enough for me.

Sparafusile

• Bristles
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2013, 09:08:00 PM »
MMM did a article promoting bike riding and mentioned a sale at Nashbar.com. Bought my roadbike the next day for around $200.

cbr shadow

• Bristles
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2013, 10:49:29 PM »
Looks like i'm taking the cake on this one.  I spent $1900 on my triathlon bike. 
Does it help that my wife and I are both maxing our Roth IRA's and 401k's?

ritchie70

• Bristles
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2013, 11:22:17 PM »
I spent nothing, my employer spent around $350 I think, for a Trek 820.

They have a "gift catalog" when you hit certain work anniversaries, and I hit my 10th.

Mayan

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2013, 11:47:27 PM »
I paid $200 for a 15 year old Cannondale hybrid from Craigslist, then bought a rack and replaced brake pads and seat post. Maybe not a great deal for a bike that old, but the frame was in excellent shape and it fit my criteria at the time.  I previously had ridden on a hand-me-down mountain bike that was too big for me; being able to travel significantly faster and more comfortably has been totally worth it.

Zalo

« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2013, 01:16:41 AM »

I got the same exact bike for the same exact price (used on CL, practically new). Good taste. :D
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 01:24:42 AM by Zalo »

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2013, 02:06:59 AM »
$200 for my backup single speed.
$600 for my electric.

jfer_rose

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Pencil Stache
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2013, 06:03:17 AM »
I spent $1000 on my bike. I don't own a car and think of my bike as a car-substitute. My bike is my favorite possession. Having a bike I love helps encourage me to ride it more.

This article sums up why I don't feel bad about spending a lot on a bike:
http://www.lifeedited.com/a-case-for-buying-the-bike-you-want/

Yup, not feeling very mustachian talking about this. But I'm not willing to spend so much money on everything else-- it's just that my bike is a priority for me.

Kriegsspiel

« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2013, 06:16:32 AM »
I spent $1000 on my bike. I don't own a car and think of my bike as a car-substitute. My bike is my favorite possession. Having a bike I love helps encourage me to ride it more.

This article sums up why I don't feel bad about spending a lot on a bike:
http://www.lifeedited.com/a-case-for-buying-the-bike-you-want/

Yup, not feeling very mustachian talking about this. But I'm not willing to spend so much money on everything else-- it's just that my bike is a priority for me.

Quote from: that site
Before I put it together, I had two bikes: A well-worn road bike with a slightly buckled headtube and a mountain bike I was always planning on (but never) riding. I decided to trade both in and get the one bike I wanted and would match my riding needs. BikeEdited, if you will.

I like the cut of his jib.

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2013, 07:54:03 AM »
My mountain bike was $250 new back in 1986 (a gift from my grandparents)...  I've replaced tires once, brakes a zillion times (most recently spending $50 on some fancy brake pads that will actually stop the bike in the wet), and the chain once (just a couple months ago).  It's a testament to how badly you can beat a bike and have it still keep working...  I don't replace anything on it until it's trashed (the chain reached the point that it would jump off the sprocket half the time I tried to shift, and a chain gauge fell right through with no resistance).  I can't even guess how many zillions of miles I put on that thing.  :-)

On the opposite end of the scale, from my pre-mustachian days, just a few years ago, I have my road bike.  I bought all the components separately and built it myself.  Putting $4500 worth of parts into building my own equivalent of the the bikes that were selling for $5000-6000 at the store down the street.  It's an absolute dream to ride, but technology advances so fast that a $1000-2000 bike today is as good or better.  I now realize that I'd be better off buying a $1000 bike every few years...

ToeInTheWater

• Stubble
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2013, 08:35:36 AM »
$175 on CL for a Fuji road bike.

will likely need some work - tune up / tires - in the near future, but so far, so good

been commuting to work couple times a week - still pretty weather dependent, plus a pleasure ride on the weekends

b

minimalist

• Stubble
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2013, 09:34:22 AM »
I paid $150 on CL for a Marin city bike in like-new condition (<50 miles on it) four years ago. All I've done so far is replace the rear brakes.

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2013, 10:23:29 AM »
I got a Next cheapo 6-speed bike from Walmart.com with no taxes charged and free shipping.  I adjusted everything on it myself and it works just fine.  It's not the fanciest bike in the world but it gets the job done.

kudy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2013, 11:01:23 AM »
$25 bike on craigslist.
~$37 on new wheel and fixes at the local co-op

= $62 to get going.

But then soon after, the non-essentials started to get added in; I decided the seat was too old (falling apart), so $29 for a new seat. Also spent about $50 on lights for winter riding, ~$31 on a patch kit and other emergency stuff, $50 on cold weather clothing, & $40 for new pedals. Oh, and $700 on a ridekick :)

I've talked about these expenses on my blog a few times... amazing to me that I am still relatively cheap compared to some people including the electric trailer.

My total spending on bike related expenses since I started riding is probably somewhere around $1,100.

onehappypanda

• Stubble
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2013, 11:50:39 AM »
$150 for a mid-80's Fuji Del Ray on Craigslist. Came from a guy that used it as a road bike, and was in good working condition. I didn't have to do anything to it to get it running.

I did also purchase lights, a u-bar lock and cable (for wheels), and a rear rack to haul stuff: total cost about $80 or so? Already owned a helmet ($40) and a tire pump ($20?).

But if you want to include all that stuff, $150 for the bike and $140 for all the other stuff comes in at just under $300 (where I work and go to school, that's less than the cost of an annual parking pass).

Maintenance hasn't cost me anything so far but eventually I'll have to replace tires and tune it up, bar tape is also due for replacement, but altogether it's SO much cheaper than maintaining my car.

hybrid

• Handlebar Stache
  • A hybrid of MMM and thoughtful consumer.
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2013, 01:55:43 PM »
$150 for Trek road bike on CL about a month ago
$50 for tune up and a repair
$30 for rear basket (bike came with rear rack, basket attaches to it, not technically necessary to get bike going)
$40 for inner tubes, hand pump, tire changing gear (not technically necessary to get bike going)
$40 for lights

Money very well spent.  I may graduate to something else at some point, but I really like this ride so far except for the very aggressive posture, and may simply change out handlebars to address that.

calskin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2013, 08:10:55 PM »
Plus improved fitness and a general sense of smug badassity for being a hard ass cyclist.

Plus never dealing with traffic jams or having to find parking, which were significantly contributing to my total daily stress load.

Plus not buying dead dinosaur goo from foreign countries that want to kill us.

Plus not contributing quite so much to atmospheric CO2 levels.

Plus that smug badassity.

I like it.

calskin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2013, 08:16:07 PM »
Looks like i'm taking the cake on this one.  I spent $1900 on my triathlon bike. 

No judgement at all.  I appreciate the comment.

calskin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2013, 08:16:57 PM »
I spent nothing, my employer spent around $350 I think, for a Trek 820.

They have a "gift catalog" when you hit certain work anniversaries, and I hit my 10th.

Awesome

kendallf

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2013, 08:34:47 PM »

Don't worry, there are probably loads of people, both on these forums and anyone who rides regularly in general, who've outspent you by large margins.

I don't keep track (any more) but I have at the very least $4-6k in the 3-4 bikes I ride most frequently.  I haven't bought anything other than consumables (tires, tubes, chains, cassettes) in the past year though.    Mint says I've spent $682 on cycling since last November (when I started using Mint).

calskin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2013, 08:50:01 PM »
Well we just went to the good life bike shop in Calgary and I picked up a Miyata Two Ten in really good condition for $118 because I was short a toonie (but I donated my old bike, so I think they got a pretty good deal).  The chain and cassette need a good cleaning, but it rides really well!

I would have walked right past the bike, but my wife pulled it out thinking it might fit her (she's 5'5"), but it was way too big, so I tried it and it was perfect (I'm 6'2").  She's amazing and brilliant and pretty cool and reading this.

onemorebike

• Bristles
« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2013, 07:08:01 AM »
I'm afraid the cake is mine to take. Sorry.

The only saviour is that I bought each of them at a steep discount (making any eventual resale about a break even) and I am a passionate advocate for bicycling and walking - as in, that is really my day job - so given the amount of time and energy I spend riding and talking about bicycles, its nice to have ones I absolutely love.

Surly CX: $1000 (with Ultegra upgrade)
Surly Big Dummy: $1250
CETMA Bakfiets (family bike #2): $2800
Giant Trance X2 (full suspension mnt bike): $1160

This doesn't include my wife's bikes.

No judgement at all.  I appreciate the comment.

jradc

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2013, 09:46:38 AM »
Like sol, I've got a Bianchi Volpe, which is a great all-around bike. I bought mine in 2006 after my previous bike was stolen (another great all-around bike: Novarra Randonee). New, it cost me $1,000. I enjoy bike maintenance, so I have done a lot of repair and upkeep on it to keep it in tip top shape, get it to fit me really comfortably, and work for my errands. I've probably put in about $400 in addition to the purchase cost (fenders, upgraded seat, stem change, racks, bags, various part replacements).

Even my relatively extravagant bike purchases come out to something like an annual cost of ~$250, which is really nothing when compared to car ownership.

I'm now 33 and I have only owned a car for about 2 years total my entire adult life. It wasn't intentional, but I kept putting it off and seeing how far I could get on bicycles, sharing cars with housemates (and contributing to expenses), zipcar, etc, and it keeps on working for me.

crazy jane

• Bristles
« Reply #43 on: August 04, 2013, 10:16:54 AM »
I paid 299 for my beloved Fuji Crosstown 2.0 in 2006. It's a hybrid and it's just right for all of my cycling needs.

annod

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #44 on: August 04, 2013, 03:14:20 PM »
Bike or bikes?

I have three bikes, one just over $1000. another $600, and a folding bike bought in 2004 ($400)
May seem excessive, (want to sell one, can't decide which)  but biking is my main mode of transportation, as I don't have a car. (spouse has a car, which I use sometimes)
Over the years, I calculated the amount I spent on bike as transportation-including stolen bikes,  accessories, clothing, repacir, maintenance, upgrades... it is about $350 per year. Way cheaper than having a car.

I actually like having more than one bike because it has happened more than once that I was leaving for work in the morning and discovered I had a flat tire (must be slow leak). It is so nice to be able to just grab another bike to go to work.

capital

• Bristles
« Reply #45 on: August 04, 2013, 04:09:03 PM »
My main commuter was a fixie I bought for $320 used. I've put maybe $100 in parts into it? For flat urban riding, fixies are fun and very low-maintenance.

My main commuter when I lived in San Diego was a Fuji Touring I paid $300 for used (after ~6mo of hunting for a cheap touring bike on multiple Craigslists). I rode it across the country from Pittsburgh and then rode it 7,000 miles the year I lived in San Diego, so I ended up grinding most of the components into dust and have a bunch more money in parts in it. Pretty much the only original parts are the derailleurs and shifters-- low-midgrade Shimano seems to be pretty damn durable.

frompa

• Bristles
« Reply #46 on: August 04, 2013, 04:10:32 PM »
I am a die-hard, and I have not a single bike or two, but a fleet.  I am unapologetic.  Oldest, my Cannondale tourer, and regular about town bike, I bought new about twenty years ago for $700; my Brompton folder, bought new about ten years ago for $2k; my speedy Trek road bike, weighs next to nothing, bought new about four years ago for about $2k; my Catrike recumbent, bought new about six years ago for $2500; and last but not least, my trusty Cannondale mtn bike I bought used about five years ago for $400.  I use all of these all the time, as do other visiting family and friends, and my theory is I ride them til they fall apart -- as they are all excellent bikes, they DON'T fall apart.  I sold another recumbent two wheeler I'd stopped using last summer on Craigslist, for near what I paid for it about seven years earlier.  I probably bike anywhere from 3-6000 miles per year, depending on what cycling vacations I can get in in a given year.  So there you have it.  My bike confession.  Ha ha.  Bike on!

Stache In Training

• Stubble
« Reply #47 on: August 05, 2013, 12:35:34 AM »
I spent about 500 something, and my wife spent about 450 something. 

We bought them together, and asked for a discount (since the mark-up on bikes is high), and got about 10% off.  Great mustachian idea, if you have to buy more than one at a time, and are at a shop, not a big box store... which you should be for free service plans!

martynthewolf

• Stubble
    • The Frugal Wolf
« Reply #48 on: August 05, 2013, 01:50:43 AM »
I spent £500 on my hardtail MTB. I use it for commuting and shopping. I've also used it a few times off roading. When I ordered the bike I got £100 voucher to spend on accessories which enabled me to kit it out with, lights, mudguards, locks and a pump. It should last me for years to come so I was happy spending that amount for something quality that is versatile.

Hamster

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #49 on: August 05, 2013, 10:17:07 AM »
In 1990 I bought my first "real" bike, that wasn't a department store clunker. It was a Trek 830, which was considered a mountain bike then, but more like a non-suspension hybrid in today's world. It was $380, and is probably the best money I ever spent on my life. Back then I was a naturallly mustachian kid doing agricultural work and restaurant work while in high school, and I used that bike for work and school when weather allowed. As a naive kid, I even rode in the dark, no lights, no helmet... It was also my commuter for med school and residency, and I did all my own maintenance. 2 years ago, I handed it off to my brother as long as he agreed to continue riding it.

In 2006, upgraded to a Surly Long Haul Trucker steel-frame touring bike,  for $900 new. I've put many thousand miles on that bike, and only replaced chains, pads, tires - due for new cassette and rear rim now. it has saved me a ton on commuting costs. After finishing residency, I was fairly unmustachian for a while with my new found income.

In 2010, added a "summer bike"... A $3000 trek Madone 5.2 racing bike. I've probably got about 3-4k miles on that one. If I had it all to do over, I would stay under $1500, but I love the bike, and selling it wouldn't be worth it to me.

Now that my brother has my little old bike, I really want either a mountain bike or a hop-on/hop-off cruiser for riding around the neighborhood in flip flops with my kids, but that will be a very cheap used beater when/if I get one.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!