Author Topic: What did you buy today?  (Read 58740 times)

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What did you buy today?
« Reply #50 on: October 03, 2013, 10:46:10 AM »
$16 worth of circuit boards! Five new designs in the works.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #51 on: October 03, 2013, 12:11:04 PM »
Nothing yet, but heading to grocery store for soy milk and a couple other things.  Also, this afternoon, my school's Agriculture Club is selling produce--yum.

ace1224

• Bristles
« Reply #52 on: October 03, 2013, 12:25:10 PM »
hamburger buns.  fancy pants ones from the day old store....i'm a rebel lol

mele

« Reply #53 on: October 03, 2013, 03:00:17 PM »
a $3 cappuccino. I drove to the coffee store, too. Put me down for a double face punch.

Also, the registration renewal fee for my clown-car (6 yrs old, bought it used with cash - does that get me one get-out-of-face-punch free card? probably not, huh?)

ichangedmyname

• Bristles
    • Luxe Frugality
« Reply #54 on: October 03, 2013, 03:21:41 PM »
I got my husband a pair of riding gloves $18 for his birthday.
And milk $4
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 05:15:55 PM by hotforbacon »

Worsted Skeins

• Bristles
« Reply #55 on: October 03, 2013, 04:24:35 PM »
I bought a new car battery.  Sigh.

I also dished out my co-pay to the anesthesiologist for my forthcoming cataract surgery as well as the cost of the prescription drops needed beforehand. 

This is what happens when you get old, people! (Although I am pretty young for a cataract patient.  Double sigh...)

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #56 on: October 03, 2013, 06:49:07 PM »
It was kind of an expensive day:

$22.94 for apples, sweet potatoes, quinoa, Bob's Red Mill cereal, and soy milk.

$14.22 for candy.  Smarties for my students (ha!) and chocolate for a colleague who come in my office when she needs a chocolate fix.  It does not tempt me (thank goodness!) and it helps promote good will in our department.

$100 in ice hockey dues for Oct - Dec.  Playing hockey is good for my mental and physical health!  Cheaper than therapy!

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #57 on: October 04, 2013, 09:30:24 AM »
$14.22 for candy.  Smarties for my students (ha!) and chocolate for a colleague who come in my office when she needs a chocolate fix.  It does not tempt me (thank goodness!) and it helps promote good will in our department.

I do the same thing!  I put it there when I started working as a way to be friendly to new coworkers, get to know them.  My boss is always popping in when she's had a bad day and needs a chocolate fix.  Had a stockpile of candy bought super cheap or free through couponing that I wanted out of the house to help my husband w/his diet.  I may need to look into sales post-halloween though as I'm almost out.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #58 on: October 04, 2013, 10:09:03 AM »
Yeah, I have mixed feelings about promoting the consumption of food with zero nutrition, but somehow I think that if I had apples (instead of chocolate) available in my office, my co-worker would rarely stop in!

KulshanGirl

• Bristles
« Reply #59 on: October 04, 2013, 10:44:41 AM »
$124.96 on nerdy hobby.  BUT I waited and saved up for it, and also it is the optimal time of year for ordering from this particular House of Nerdness.  :)

I will be spending quite a bit (planned) this weekend as October is a quarterly bulk spending month in the budget.  I think I'll actually post here about it to help keep a lid on that.   

legacyoneup

• Stubble
« Reply #60 on: October 04, 2013, 03:45:02 PM »
Luckily, my friend was going shopping and invited me to tag along :
gallon of milk,
gallon of OJ,
5 white onions,
4lb of tomatoes,
2+ lb of peaches,
2+ lb of pears,
2+ lb of apples,
a bag of romaine hearts,
pack of eggs (18),
french bread,
2 large packs of Post Honey bunches,
ramen noodles.

crazy jane

• Bristles
« Reply #61 on: October 04, 2013, 04:07:29 PM »
Doughnuts for my homeroom students to thank them for their help on some things. I'm not allowed to bring home baked treats for them anymore. New school policy. Grrrrrr!

apennysaved

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #62 on: October 04, 2013, 04:55:13 PM »
Chick-fil-A -$9.47. Was at the park.  It started raining.  Ended up at Chick-fil-A to wait out rain & let the toddler burn some energy on their playset. Ended up buying lunch a little out of guilt and because we were there longer than anticipated.

SavingMon(k)ey

• Bristles
« Reply #63 on: October 04, 2013, 06:54:56 PM »
A $4 transit ticket to ride back home (I was cold, tired, sick, and forgot my rain pants). Regretted every cent of that expenditure as I waited and waited for the train and then the bus and got even colder. I should have just ridden my bike back.

EDIT: add to that a $3.50 cup of chai at a coffee shop. Not feeling guilty about this one as I have completely eliminated coffee shop spending (which used to be embarrassingly high) and now only allow myself about one or two a month, and only if I'm meeting friends there, which was the case this time.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 08:55:43 PM by worldstrad »

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #64 on: October 04, 2013, 08:30:10 PM »
Yesterday: nothing.

Today, though. Today was totally unnecessary spending.

All of our black laser toner reprinting school-related materials currently locked in a classroom (academic tournament during fall break, and my husband is both the coach and the forgetter-of-materials-in-classroom). That means we'll have to buy toner at some point.

Then $14 to make copies-I got originals done before the toner ran out, which is good since printing costs more than copying at the shop). $8 or so on office supplies which were already purchased and are locked guess where.

Pizza for the kids (and us, too) after practice and before leaving for the tournament. $15 for three; like that Little Caesars.

$14 for an ipad charger for the vehicle because the two school-owned iPads are our timers for the events. Guess where his charger is? Happily, we will get much use out of a car charger, which we didn't own.

$3.50 for a frozen dinner for me (I don't have to go until tomorrow), and a dollar for candy because there was no one around to witness me eating it and therefore it had no calories. :-)

I'm not actually at all upset with my husband for forgetting the materials, by the way, though I know it must sound that way. Stuff happens to everyone. I'm just disgusted with the spending in a non-blaming sort of way.

Oh, and there was fuel expended in the associated running around. Also he'll eat fast food on the way home, and feed any kids who forgot their money because, you know, you can't just let them starve and all that.

Norrie

• Bristles
« Reply #65 on: October 04, 2013, 08:47:09 PM »
Yet another small chocolate shake from Braum's ($2.05). I've had nothing but soup, applesauce, and smoothies at home since Monday, so blowing two bucks on a tasty treat didn't feel too bad.

Tomorrow I've got to fill up my car with gas. Likely around $35.

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #66 on: October 04, 2013, 08:51:00 PM »
My husband and I go out once a week for a meal and we went out for dinner today.  I treated him to pho/spring rolls for $25.00 for the two of us.   :)

(Pre-MMM we went our for 2 meals a week.)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 09:18:02 PM by pachnik »

SavingMon(k)ey

• Bristles
« Reply #67 on: October 04, 2013, 08:59:20 PM »
Doughnuts for my homeroom students to thank them for their help on some things. I'm not allowed to bring home baked treats for them anymore. New school policy. Grrrrrr!
I HATE all the god damn school policies. As a teacher I feel handcuffed more and more, and our students are getting less and less of the REAL experience of life (likely because some ass decided to sue for a stupid reason to get money). Ugh. This is a perfect example of such policies.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #68 on: October 04, 2013, 10:22:51 PM »
$40 on groceries, ack! Much more than I usually spend, but the wife came with me so we stocked up.. kinda.

- $8 on fruit and nut mix
- $3 on raspberries (on sale)
- $4 on milk
- $3 on OJ (on sale)

On the plus side, I got the $40 from helping my FIL to take stuff from his rental property to the dump, so effectively free! Kinda.

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #69 on: October 04, 2013, 11:56:47 PM »
Small iced coffee but got a large b/c kiosk was experiencing supply and technical issues. Kept me awake for a seminar.
Bagel for lunch because I forgot to grab a can of soup on my way out of the house this morning :(

Then I invited some friends over for DIY sushi night and cocktail drinks! It was awesome!

ichangedmyname

• Bristles
    • Luxe Frugality
« Reply #70 on: October 05, 2013, 07:50:16 AM »
Did not buy anything yesterday. :)

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #71 on: October 05, 2013, 11:41:54 AM »
Nothing yesterday.

Nothings today--so far.  I might buy some tofu this afternoon.

BZB

• Bristles
« Reply #72 on: October 05, 2013, 08:42:59 PM »
spent lots of money today

2 new pairs of shoes for kid
birthday presents for kid: solar system puzzle and a Thomas the Train toy, partly with a gift card
groceries
my cousin's baby shower gift: diapers
Paid $1 to top up car tires with air. I can't find any gas stations with free air any more.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #73 on: October 05, 2013, 08:52:04 PM »
Two gallons of raw milk, a quart of yogurt, and two pounds of honey, clover and buckwheat.  $42.

Light bulbs, torx screwdriver set. $15.

Celery. $2.

Platinumtel phone top-up. $10.

Kind of a spendy day for me.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #74 on: October 05, 2013, 09:04:21 PM »
Tofu, tempeh, and ginger.  $8.81.  I have spent $80.49 on groceries so far this month.  Better slow down if I am going to keep it under my goal of $170!

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #75 on: December 21, 2013, 04:46:14 AM »
Revving this because I think it's both interesting and useful for those of us who post.

Yesterday we bought a thermostat for the Jeep and a tube of RTV to help n stall it. Got home and found nearly a half tube of RTV. Sigh. The upside is that it will get used, assuming it doesn't get lost on the shelves of building supplies, which is where the other one was.

turboseize

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • I adore beauty, be it human, machine or in nature.
    • My blog
« Reply #76 on: December 21, 2013, 08:41:42 AM »
25€ worth of groceries.

- bread
- 2 liters of milk
- 1kg spinach
- 3 peppers
- several tomatoes
- 3 cans of tuna
- 500g of feta
- lettuce
- 450g marmalade (wife has a sweet tooth)
- 500g honey (dito).

(NEVER would you have spent DM 50 on so little food... But no, we don't have inflation, do we, Mr. Draghi?)

And then a christmas gift for my wife: original austrian army sweater, 39€. It's heavy, it's warm, scratchy (100% wool!) and it will hopefully stop her freezing. And it's in lovely olive green, such a wonderful colour!
Spending money causes physical pain to me, she will surely appreciate it. Hope I got the size right...
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 08:43:53 AM by turboseize »

Fireman

• Bristles
« Reply #77 on: December 22, 2013, 08:13:29 AM »
Braces, soup, and ice cream.
My teeth hurt and I hate everything.

This post made me laugh!

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #78 on: December 22, 2013, 11:00:18 AM »
Yesterday: one bathtub drain assembly, one box of 500 galvanized nails, turkey smoked sausage, beer, 4 various (store brand) 2-liter sodas for a gathering.

Today: I was in the middle of typing "nothing" when my husband came in. Looks like we're going to have to make a run for hose clamps, unless possibly some turn up in a search of the barn.

Bruised_Pepper

• Stubble
« Reply #79 on: December 22, 2013, 11:27:34 PM »
Yesterday: one bathtub drain assembly, one box of 500 galvanized nails, turkey smoked sausage, beer, 4 various (store brand) 2-liter sodas for a gathering.

This is the manliest shopping list that has ever been written.

ichangedmyname

• Bristles
    • Luxe Frugality
« Reply #80 on: December 22, 2013, 11:32:37 PM »
Yay! I started this thread :D

Maybe this will keep me accountable and stop me from purchasing beads online. *crosses fingers and toes*

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #81 on: December 22, 2013, 11:52:02 PM »

This is the manliest shopping list that has ever been written.

Written by a woman, too! :-)

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #82 on: December 22, 2013, 11:56:04 PM »
Update on yesterday. Hose clamps turned up in the barn, so no need to buy there, but I did end up buying a thermostat housing, a toilet float (oh, my glamorous life!), a threaded rod, a bag of tortilla chips, and some dishwasher rinse aid (store brand at the dollar store, of course, same as the chips).

The good news is that both the vehicle and the toilet are once again functioning.

Tami1982

• Handlebar Stache
    • Disabled Girl on Fire
« Reply #83 on: December 23, 2013, 12:03:21 AM »
$12.04 for a xylophone for my nephew for christmas.
$11.90 for doggie day camp. 

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #84 on: March 23, 2014, 06:51:44 AM »
Been a while, but I think this thread is useful.

Yesterday we bought groceries, dog food, and a radiator hose.

Today we will buy a gift card for my MIL's birthday, fuel to go to an overpriced restaurant a hundred miles away, and food at said overpriced restaurant. I don't begrudge the gift or the fuel, but the stupid restaurant is a different story. She'd better love it.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #85 on: March 23, 2014, 08:43:35 AM »
Yesterday was a somewhat spendy day:

Grocery shopping trip:  $27 at one store and $45 at the other store.

1 yard of gravel mulch for the front yard landscaping project: $54

Came home and DH wanted to go out for lunch - I didn't see the tab, but probably $18

Restaurant was right by the feed store, so I decided I might as well stock up on chicken feed, so another $38

Then after a hard day of landscaping, we popped out to the store for the junk food I didn't buy on the regular grocery trip:  Chips, beer, ice cream - another $18ish?

Spent some time looking at plants online and added some to my cart, but didn't buy.  Still considering that one.

Fireman

• Bristles
« Reply #86 on: March 23, 2014, 11:42:07 AM »
Rural - What restaurant?  We recently (and begrudgingly as well) went to The Melting Pot for a friend's birthday but fortunately it was only 5 miles from the house, and the four of us carpooled. 

This morning, I got 24 hours of overtime and stopped by Wawa to grab a cup of liquid crack.  Other than that, food will come out of my lunch box and when my GF comes to have dinner with me!

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #87 on: March 23, 2014, 11:57:06 AM »
Did not buy anything yesterday or today. Did not take car out of garage. Did not buy anything online, despite temptations.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #88 on: March 23, 2014, 03:16:55 PM »
Rural - What restaurant?  We recently (and begrudgingly as well) went to The Melting Pot for a friend's birthday but fortunately it was only 5 miles from the house, and the four of us carpooled. 

It was what turned out to be very good Italian, but not a chain, I don't think. The food was great, but it was far too loud, too expensive, and too crowded.

JosephBoyle

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #89 on: March 23, 2014, 04:17:39 PM »
160$ for two nights at the Marriott in Vegas.

reginna

• Stubble
« Reply #90 on: March 23, 2014, 04:23:13 PM »
Nothing all weekend! Happy dance.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #91 on: March 23, 2014, 04:25:58 PM »
Shopping spree day.

I got some soil to start vegetable and flower seeds. (Yes I have dirt in my garden but uncontaminatrd and fertile are great)

I got a tractor supply gift card for early Mother's Day for my mom... So she can buy food for the cat I gave her for Christmas.

I got flea and tick meds for my cat

Spray enamel for some free metal baskets and stools I'm refurbishing

And a Cadbury cream egg for a treat! 

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #92 on: March 23, 2014, 05:28:42 PM »
4 x magnifying glass
4x pkg crayons
2 x pkg Felts
4 x books of tracing paper
box of laminate ID Badges
2 x ink pads
1 bag of cotton balls
3 x rolls of clear packing tape
1 x incandescent light bulb
5 x glue sticks...

All reimbursed as I am teaching an "ART DETECTIVE" Kids Spring break camp this upcoming week :)

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #93 on: March 23, 2014, 05:44:54 PM »
An overnight sleeper train from Vienna to Zurich for my summer vacation ($120), accommodation in Vienna for a few days ($70), and a bottle of root beer ($2).

mc6

• Stubble
« Reply #94 on: March 23, 2014, 05:58:19 PM »
A delicious sub, cookie and drink from a new sub shop in town.  $10.50.

I have my abode up for sale so I am resolving to bring less shit into it. 

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #95 on: March 23, 2014, 06:16:37 PM »
asparagus, coffee, canned sardines, and four tickets to Disneyland.

Guess which one was the most expensive?

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #96 on: March 31, 2014, 04:55:51 AM »
I cut the cable in a very literal sense while rototilling yesterday (we asked them to bury it deeper, but there it is, 2" below the sod), so spent about $9 on coax connector parts to get it running again. Of course it was Walking Dead finale night; ironically, DH said he would consider getting rid of cable when this season finished up.  Guess I was just trying to speed the process along.

JosephBoyle

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #97 on: April 26, 2014, 02:58:11 PM »
Too much in Vegas while gambling... :(

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #98 on: April 26, 2014, 03:02:38 PM »
Bought nothing today.  And found a nickel while biking to the ice rink to watch friends play hockey.  So I'm up 5 cents today!!

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #99 on: April 26, 2014, 10:00:20 PM »
Wasp spray, toilet paper, and a car freon refill kit. Glamorous, my life.