Author Topic: What common mustachian things do you refuse to do, and why?  (Read 29643 times)

Padonak

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What common mustachian things do you refuse to do, and why?
« Reply #50 on: May 29, 2017, 02:03:04 PM »
I refuse to prepare lunch and bring it to work. On average, I spend about $10 per lunch. I live in a HCOL area and all my peers spend about the same or more on lunches. Some of them also buy dinners and even breakfasts. I always make my own breakfast and dinner, but I can't be bothered making my own lunch.

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #51 on: May 29, 2017, 05:19:06 PM »
Drive a hatchback.
Eat oatmeal for breakfast.
Drink smoothies for breakfast.
Turn down the heat in the winter.
Budget (never found it necessary)
Buy old cars, for the same reasons as everyone else. I kept my last car for 20 years. I am enjoying my new luxemobile very much.
Invest 100% in stocks.
Work after I retire.

Voluntary discomfort things with no foreseeable benefit: just no.

Yup. There's enough discomfort in my hobbies--either incidental (gardening) or a major part (strenuous bicycling)--and in life that I feel no need to create more discomfort just to harden myself the F up.

I also own individual stocks, which (gasp) pay dividends; buy special clothes just for bicycling; and mow the lawn with an electric mower (but it only cost $15 at a garage sale).

emiloots

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #52 on: May 29, 2017, 06:14:35 PM »
Bike - I hate biking and I live way too far from work
Drive a beater - I actually just bought a new NEW car, but it will be the car my teenagers will eventually drive a couple years down the road so I'm down with all the modern safety features I can get
Hang Dry - three kids, three adults, two dogs, a cat and we live in the woods - we probably do at least 10 loads a week, often more - being outdoorsy creates a lot of dirty clothes
Always eat in - nope, we eat out as a couple at least once a month, it's our time to reconnect and recoup our sanity; as a family about once a month somewhere reasonable (i.e. red robin, the local dive restaurant...)
Down size - our house (with a freaking inground pool with spa) is 2800 sq ft with another 1100 sq ft fully finished basement 'apartment' that my mom resides in, 2.5 acres, by MMM standards it's a McMansion but I have no regrets
Reel mower - see above - it would take a week...
Cable!

meghan88

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #53 on: May 29, 2017, 06:17:52 PM »
Wow.  Taking an informal survey of earlier posts, it looks like biking and line-drying, in that order, took a real beating. 

Biking:  As an avid (evangelical, though I am getting marginally better at keeping my mouth shut.  OK, not all that much better) 58-year-old female cyclist (who rides cheapo beater bikes summer and winter in the heart of clown-car country, Canada), may I timidly suggest the purchase of a used beater bike, and some exploratory trips around your respective neighbourhoods, even if only to the corner store, to take baby steps to maybe expand your horizons and your confidence?  Do you need to keep your wits about you at all times?  Yes, of course you do.  But the fitness benefits, savings, freedom, convenience (believe it or not) and badassity are all (IMHO) worth it.  I really hope you try it, for the sake of the planet if nothing else.  Please, don't say "never".  You don't need to be an athlete and you don't need special clothes.  Even in hot climates, you'll get a nice breeze on the bike with minimal effort.  Even if it's sweltering or freezing, there are always workarounds, and such workarounds (washcloth, change of clothing, etc.) will fit in panniers or a knapsack.

Line drying:  We use indoor drying racks and we do one load per week for two people.  Two loads when we wash the sheets.  Hanging clothes is really not that difficult.  As other posters have noted, it preserves the life of the clothes.  For you outdoorsy-types:  even the CEO of Levi Strauss only washes his jeans twice a year or so.  Plus, we have stoopid bamboo flooring and rack-drying helps to keep the humidity level, though I can appreciate it if it doesn't work in a high-humidity climate.

As for the non-Mustachian things we do:  we don't budget - habits are so ingrained that the savings take care of themselves.  We also travel.  And (shame ) we've been holding too much in high interest savings accounts this past year for fear of getting into ETFs at the wrong time.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 06:23:35 PM by meghan88 »

Lady SA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #54 on: May 29, 2017, 07:56:28 PM »
1. We don't bike commute. We live about 17 miles from DH's work, and I take public transportation to my work. We compromise by being a single car family.
2. We liberally use both washer and dryer.
3. We eat out probably 3 or 4 times a month.
4. We have a large discretionary budget of like $200 per month to use on hobbies and unnecessary fun stuff. DH likes drone racing and building computers and other little projects, and DH puttering around happily makes me happy, so it's money well spent.
5. Getting a small apartment close to work. We have a larger apartment and are paying more than we *could* be (ie we could live in a studio just fine and pay $800, but instead we live further away in a larger, sunnier apartment paying $1100), but we are happy to pay a bit more than necessary for a nice place.

The Money Monk

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #55 on: May 29, 2017, 08:09:13 PM »
I agree with the people who posted about beater cars. I have had to have several true jalopies when I was younger (by necessity) and I don't want to have to go back to that.

My current car only cost $6500, so its not like I spent a lot, but I am not going back to a real junker just to save a few grand.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #56 on: May 29, 2017, 11:30:54 PM »
- Have a cheap house
- Have a short commute

Yup, a real poster boy here :)

Laughed at this more than I should have.

Also, you have a paid-for house, cheap or not! And your commute is about to get shorter.

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #57 on: May 29, 2017, 11:48:28 PM »
I refuse to be a liberal.  I refuse to "credit card hack".

Nudelkopf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #58 on: May 30, 2017, 12:08:41 AM »
I refuse to sleep in a hot room -- I am older and my internal temperature is all over the place. So I put on the A/C more than typically would be necessary for most.
Me too! Except not old. If it's above 30C/86F, then my aircon is on. All day. But we have mild winters,  so I've never used a heater,  so I figure it's like cold people using heaters. My partner doesn't like breathing in dust (we live across the road (seriously, it's 50m/165ft) from an open cut mine) so even sometimes when it's not hot we'll have the aircon on instead of opening a window

Grocery budgeting. I don't really care about the cost of produce... meh. If I want bananas & they're more expensive than normal, I don't give a shit, I'm still going to buy them.

Sport.  It's one of my bigger categories (~$1200/yr?) But I'm not gonna give up sport just to save money.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 12:10:24 AM by Nudelkopf »

TartanTallulah

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #59 on: May 30, 2017, 04:57:04 AM »
Commute by bicycle. I love recreational cycling and notch up around 10,000 miles a year using my bikes as playthings, but I live 16 miles from my workplace (and the nature of my job is such that working in my home town would be all manner of awkward), have long and tiring work days during which I have to be alert and presentable and not tired or stoned on exercise endorphins, and am contractually obliged to own and maintain a car for work. And we get some seriously unpleasant weather. I do, however, have a fuel-efficient little car that a family member kindly gave me.

Sell off all my shiny bikes, replace them with one second-hand beater, and invest the proceeds in my pension.

Eat eggs as my source of protein. I have a lifelong aversion to eggs in any form except disguised in cake, and having cake as my source of protein, while appealing, would be odd beyond measure.

Wear the same shirt for a week, a month, or whatever without washing it.

Seek out discomfort for its own sake. I've given birth four times; I have nothing to prove.

Have squashed sandwiches from my jersey pocket and water for lunch when I'm out on long bike rides instead of stopping at a tearoom for coffee and something freshly made.

Regard facepunching as acceptable, either as the puncher or as the face.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 07:40:00 AM by TartanTallulah »

TaraB

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • my journal
« Reply #60 on: May 30, 2017, 05:32:41 AM »
As I was making my coffee this morning I discovered another one:
I put milk and Splenda in my coffee!!
Worse, I buy Splenda packets!! Call the facepunchers!
But I buy them for the convenience of office life, since most of my coffee is currently consumed at work. But when my job goes away very soon, I'll consider buying the big bag of Splenda and using a spoon.

Laura33

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #61 on: May 30, 2017, 06:58:39 AM »
Cars.  Cars cars cars.  I love cars.   Not even appropriate safe/reliable cars, like Subarus and Hondas.  I love driving.  I love a stick shift.  I love a hard brake and a downshift into a corner.  I just traded one stupid car for another one that is even stupider, and it is magnificent and joyous and so solid I couldn't run it off the road if I tried.  The best part is it is AWD, not RWD, so now I don't have to give it up in the winter, and I get to drive it every. single. day.  For the rest of my life.  Or at least until my back/knees go and I can no longer get in/out or drive a stick.

My mom looked at me sadly and said, "clearly I should have bought you more toys when you were younger."  But, you know, our plans are on track, I have wanted this car for 30+ years, and I could write a check for it and still have plenty in the emergency fund.  So fuck it. 

Clean Shaven

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #62 on: May 30, 2017, 07:27:03 AM »
^^^ Porsche 911 C4S?

Laura33

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #63 on: May 30, 2017, 07:38:02 AM »
^^^ Porsche 911 C4S?

Close -- GTS.  :-)  Convertible, naturally-aspirated.

Clean Shaven

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #64 on: May 30, 2017, 08:01:58 AM »
^^^ Porsche 911 C4S?

I didn't know the GTS was AWD. Maybe I'm thinking of the GT3 as the one that is RWD only...

I've looked at and drooled over Caymans for several years. Just can't quite bring myself to do it.

Laura33

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #65 on: May 30, 2017, 08:19:03 AM »
^^^ Porsche 911 C4S?

I didn't know the GTS was AWD. Maybe I'm thinking of the GT3 as the one that is RWD only...

I've looked at and drooled over Caymans for several years. Just can't quite bring myself to do it.

Correct, the GT3 is RWD; it also comes only in a coupe and only in an automatic, which is awesome on the track but sucks the fun out of daily driving (although I've heard the new version will offer a stick).  The GTS is just a trim package on the regular 911, very similar to the S/4S model, but a little more performance-tuned (but not all the way to the Turbo level).   

I still can't believe I pulled the trigger -- I'm the one who fantasizes forever but never actually *does* it.  The only good thing I can say is at least it was used.  :-)  Let's just say it looked a little out of place in the Aldi's parking lot this weekend. . . .

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #66 on: May 30, 2017, 08:21:20 AM »
Wow.  Taking an informal survey of earlier posts, it looks like biking and line-drying, in that order, took a real beating. 

Biking:  As an avid (evangelical, though I am getting marginally better at keeping my mouth shut.  OK, not all that much better) 58-year-old female cyclist (who rides cheapo beater bikes summer and winter in the heart of clown-car country, Canada), may I timidly suggest the purchase of a used beater bike, and some exploratory trips around your respective neighbourhoods, even if only to the corner store, to take baby steps to maybe expand your horizons and your confidence?  Do you need to keep your wits about you at all times?  Yes, of course you do.  But the fitness benefits, savings, freedom, convenience (believe it or not) and badassity are all (IMHO) worth it.  I really hope you try it, for the sake of the planet if nothing else.  Please, don't say "never".  You don't need to be an athlete and you don't need special clothes.  Even in hot climates, you'll get a nice breeze on the bike with minimal effort.  Even if it's sweltering or freezing, there are always workarounds, and such workarounds (washcloth, change of clothing, etc.) will fit in panniers or a knapsack.

Line drying:  We use indoor drying racks and we do one load per week for two people.  Two loads when we wash the sheets.  Hanging clothes is really not that difficult.  As other posters have noted, it preserves the life of the clothes.  For you outdoorsy-types:  even the CEO of Levi Strauss only washes his jeans twice a year or so.  Plus, we have stoopid bamboo flooring and rack-drying helps to keep the humidity level, though I can appreciate it if it doesn't work in a high-humidity climate.

As for the non-Mustachian things we do:  we don't budget - habits are so ingrained that the savings take care of themselves.  We also travel.  And (shame ) we've been holding too much in high interest savings accounts this past year for fear of getting into ETFs at the wrong time.

All true. And I grew up riding a bike, so it's not like I can't do it.  But for those kind of local trips, I walk.  Also, did you miss the fact that I've had multiple friends and acquaintances injured and one killed by motorists while biking?  It's going to be hard for me to ever convince myself that biking is safer than walking.

Rimu05

• Bristles
« Reply #67 on: May 30, 2017, 09:31:27 AM »
Bike commute often. I live in Florida and it's just too hot most of the time. I feel a lot of things to save can't be done in Florida. XD

THIS. I simply cannot do the bike thing.

I know there are Mustachians here in FL who also bike and I've asked how in heaven's name they manage and got some interesting answers but I sweat just walking to my car and this is not an exaggeration. Then again, I do perspire more than the average person.

Another one for me, is never eating out. I actually enjoy going to restaurants and trying new foods. I definitely have limited this but I am one of those people that really likes conversation over food.

PS. Plus I must be the one person in the universe who knows how to ride a bike but absolutely derives no joy in bike riding. I simply do not particularly like riding bikes.

Another is definitely living close to work. All the apartments near work are luxury apartments and expensive houses. I work close to a fancy mall so the neighborhood is luxurious. Even having a roommate close to work was in the $700 range and up.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 09:36:25 AM by Rimu05 »

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #68 on: May 30, 2017, 09:35:21 AM »
we make a lot of money and optimize alot of what we do.  but as far as mustachian things we dont do

1. big house
2. long commute
3. commute by car
4. own a boat
5. use an electric mower
6. use a clothes dryer

we have really high incomes in a LCOL so we'll work til the rip old age of 37 to afford all these luxuries our whole life.

Spitfire

• Bristles
« Reply #69 on: May 30, 2017, 10:01:38 AM »
I don't bike either.

I chose to live in a suburb just under 15 miles from work, the closer I get to work the crappier the area becomes. No thanks.

I don't DIY much around the house, I'm not good at it naturally and not eager to learn. Living in a fairly small (800 sf) condo helps here. I'm not allowed to do anything to the exterior, and any materials and labor based on sq feet is cheaper with a smaller space.

I don't budget. I have money automatically taken out for investing and do as I please with the rest. If I spend less than I expect and find my bank account growing I will pull a chunk out to invest.

Cowardly Toaster

• Bristles
    • My MMM Forum Journal
« Reply #70 on: May 30, 2017, 10:12:45 AM »
Drive a 4wd. Now I don't drive much and I drive an old old truck but I find it so useful on occasion that I can't imagine not having it.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #71 on: May 30, 2017, 11:08:13 AM »
I live 13 miles from work and commute by car.  I could pay four times as much for a smaller house and live a block away, or twice as much for a smaller house and live 7-10 miles away.  That doesn't pencil out for me.  Also my GF travels a lot for work and the highways near our house make more sense for her.

Multiple Australian Shepherds.

We've graduated from $700-1000 beaters to $2000-3000 "beaters."  Total cost per mile ends up slightly higher, but with fewer headaches (theoretically) and my GF is self-employed and in a pretty "cater to the rich" field therefore unfortunately has to drive something "presentable" for clients.

We do use the damn clothes dryer.  It's gas and cheap to run.

GF and I are on our second (first is now a rental and paid-off) house bought as an unmarried couple, which everyone tells you not to do.

I finally retired the (busted up) reel mower last week and now use a loud gasoline-powered allergy machine.  Every relationship has compromises.  I will not die on that hill.

SmallCheese

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #72 on: May 30, 2017, 11:52:36 AM »
Soak dry beans. I totally get it and the intention is there, but it NEVER happens. My SO and I have a bag of dry black beans beans that I think we've had for 8 months (including 1 move). The few cents we'd save over canned beans just isn't worth it; it's not going to happen.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #73 on: May 30, 2017, 12:13:32 PM »
Soak dry beans. I totally get it and the intention is there, but it NEVER happens. My SO and I have a bag of dry black beans beans that I think we've had for 8 months (including 1 move). The few cents we'd save over canned beans just isn't worth it; it's not going to happen.

instant pot solves the problem pays for itself in a year. i didnt do it either till i got one.

little_brown_dog

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #74 on: May 30, 2017, 12:34:02 PM »
Bike commute – the weather here sucks for biking most of the year, and the narrow roads, high level of traffic, lack of bike lanes and paths, and long commutes make it a fool’s errand for most people. I also refuse to bike to do my shopping as I don’t feel safe biking along these roads with my toddler in tow. Bikers get hit all the time around here. A few years ago someone was killed right outside my old work place. If I had no kids and a better biking environment I probably would for some errands, but it’s just not worth the risk or the hassle in the current circumstances. I spend a lot of time walking and doing physical chores so I’m not worried about getting extra moderate level exercise.

Budget/track receipts –– as long as we hit all of our aggressive savings and financial goals for the year, we don’t worry about tracking our expenses. We have optimized our expenses over the years and know we are not being extravagant. We don’t need to micromanage our spending ontop of these efforts.

Squeeze into small cars – my husband has a sedan for commuting, but I drive a Rav4. Sure, I could try to cram my stroller and two carseats into a prius or civic on a daily basis, and then take 2 cars every single time we go anywhere with the big dogs or need to pick up big items….but why? The Rav is a great size, fits everyone and everything, is paid off, and the extra gas expense is negligible due to the fact that I’m a SAHM and only drive short distances with it. The car is 10yrs old and we plan on running it into the ground. I love my Rav.

Outdoor line drying – our yard is near the woods and there are a ton of spiders on the property. Line drying is a great way to cover all your fresh laundry in the creepers. Tried it, and yes it sucked. No way I’m doing that anymore. I do some indoor drying but also use the dryer too…we just don’t have enough indoor drying racks or space to air dry huge loads of laundry.

For me, mustachianism isn’t always about what’s “greenest” or “cheapest” – it’s about what offers a person the most value and quality of life in a current circumstance. For all of the above, it’s clear to me what offers the most value and what is just going to be a huge PITA for little gain. I am totally happy and willing to forgo cable in favor for internet streaming and Netflix, or eat in 90% of the time for health and cost savings. But putting my toddler at increased risk of getting hit by a car just to save a little gas money or to be a bit more eco-friendly while running errands? Fuck no.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #75 on: May 30, 2017, 01:13:33 PM »

instant pot solves the problem pays for itself in a year. i didnt do it either till i got one.
+2. Literally. I wanted the 8-quart IP, but the Black Friday sale on the 6-quart IP was so good that two were cheaper than one, lol. Comes in handy. Since I cook almost every meal at home, I actually do use them both at times. Typically, the two at once scenario is black beans in one and ground beef for tacos in the other. We eat tacos at least once a week and it's my go-to cheap meal for casual gatherings.

surfhb

« Reply #76 on: May 30, 2017, 01:23:18 PM »
I drive 100 miles a day to my workplace.   Worth every penny to wake up and go surf 🏄

SmallCheese

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #77 on: May 30, 2017, 01:30:59 PM »

+2. Literally. I wanted the 8-quart IP, but the Black Friday sale on the 6-quart IP was so good that two were cheaper than one, lol. Comes in handy. Since I cook almost every meal at home, I actually do use them both at times. Typically, the two at once scenario is black beans in one and ground beef for tacos in the other. We eat tacos at least once a week and it's my go-to cheap meal for casual gatherings.

Maybe if we settle down a little bit. Currently we've been moving with just my Subaru so everything's gotta fit. I don't think we have room for another slip of paper in that car. Thanks for the suggestions though, will check it out!

BFGirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #78 on: May 30, 2017, 01:38:50 PM »
1.  Won't drive a beater, but did buy used 2015 last year thanks to MMM.  I don't know how to repair my car and don't want to learn.
2.  Bike to work...Not gonna happen...no way...I'd be roadkill day one
3.  Line dry the majority of my clothes.  I dry some of them if needed to protect the fabric.
4.  Give up A/C.  I do try to keep it set on 77.  Any higher...nope...people would die.

I do take my lunch most days and cook at home the majority of the time.  I'm trying to spend my money on things/experiences that truly enrich my life and not engage in "retail therapy".

Krum312

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #79 on: May 30, 2017, 03:38:29 PM »
At what age does a car become a beater? It sounds like some people refuse to drive a beater, so they purchase a new(er) car.

In the last nine months, I have had to replace a couple tires and a caliper in my beater. It looks great and feels great with a sunroof, navigation, 30 mpg, and very smooth over 100 mph. This vehicle cost less than $4k and will be ten years old next year.

I do not see the value in spending more for a depreciating asset that happens to be newer. If I spend more money on a vehicle, it will be something unique and fun, that will hold it's value, so it can be sold for the same or more than I originally invested. How do you define a beater vehicle to justify buying such a new vehicle?

I would like to have a job closer to home to allow for cycling.
I have not attempted clothes drying outside or in a basement. Is it really worth the extra dollars saved?

Pigeon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #80 on: May 30, 2017, 04:10:02 PM »

Soaking them really doesn't make too much difference in cooking time anyway. 

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #81 on: May 30, 2017, 06:21:21 PM »
At what age does a car become a beater? It sounds like some people refuse to drive a beater, so they purchase a new(er) car.

In the last nine months, I have had to replace a couple tires and a caliper in my beater. It looks great and feels great with a sunroof, navigation, 30 mpg, and very smooth over 100 mph. This vehicle cost less than $4k and will be ten years old next year.

I do not see the value in spending more for a depreciating asset that happens to be newer. If I spend more money on a vehicle, it will be something unique and fun, that will hold it's value, so it can be sold for the same or more than I originally invested. How do you define a beater vehicle to justify buying such a new vehicle?

I would like to have a job closer to home to allow for cycling.
I have not attempted clothes drying outside or in a basement. Is it really worth the extra dollars saved?

Can't speak for everyone, but I think for many of us it's safety concerns more than reliability. I have always bought used, but generally still recent model years. As noted above, my wife and I literally could be paralyzed/dead right now if we had been driving an older car when we got in our accident. Instead, everyone walked away practically unscathed.

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #82 on: May 30, 2017, 07:30:09 PM »
I walk and public-transit most places but if the weather's shitty I will pay for a cab rather than toughing out the 15-30 min. wait for a bus in pouring down rain/snow/freezing cold.

I don't make beans or bread from scratch. Nor do I make my own laundry detergent any more. I tried it once but the clothes just didn't seem clean.

We live in an apartment that's larger and more expensive than we strictly need, and we love it.

You will pry my makeup and not-found-in-nature hair color - which gets done by a professional, GASP - from my cold dead hands.

I will also buy new clothes from time to time, not from resale or thrift store.

I won't buy most furniture on Craigslist. We have a serious bedbug problem in my city and I think it doesn't make sense to score a great deal on furniture and then have to pay a few grand for bedbug extermination.

We own 3 macs. I have an iphone and I love it.

I don't compost. I've tried a couple times - indoors (grew mold and had to be tossed) and outdoors at our current apartment that we moved into last month, which has yard space. Our landlord suggested we make a compost pile. I started one. We have developed a SERIOUS fly problem and I suspect it's the compost. Maybe I did something wrong? I didn't put anything in there other than fruit/veg scraps, though. But I'm thinking that maybe we should stop throwing shit out there for a while. So yes, for the foreseeable future I will be buying the amazing bagged compost that makes my tomatoes go insane and bear lots, for $$$$$.

sjlp

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #83 on: May 30, 2017, 08:02:52 PM »
Budget/track receipts –– as long as we hit all of our aggressive savings and financial goals for the year, we don’t worry about tracking our expenses. We have optimized our expenses over the years and know we are not being extravagant. We don’t need to micromanage our spending on top of these efforts.
Me too, I feel so bad when I see the case studies and folks know exactly how much they spend in each category. I know how much I save and feel good about the percentage, so as long as everything else evens out, I'm not motivated to track more closely.

I like how this thread shows there is no one path for mustachians.

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #84 on: May 30, 2017, 09:52:00 PM »
I drive a 2003 Toyota Corolla and have been primarily a bike commuter for most of the last decade.  I'm surprised at the car and bike responses because that part of Mustachianism resonates with me a lot.

I will likely never live in LCOL.  I enjoy the city too much.

I won't skimp on insurance, especially car and life insurance.

I have a couple chronic illnesses and think the advice that taking good care of yourself equals low healthcare costs is ridiculously naive.

Abundant life

• Bristles
« Reply #85 on: May 31, 2017, 03:54:24 AM »
Commute by bicycle. I love recreational cycling and notch up around 10,000 miles a year using my bikes as playthings, but I live 16 miles from my workplace (and the nature of my job is such that working in my home town would be all manner of awkward), have long and tiring work days during which I have to be alert and presentable and not tired or stoned on exercise endorphins, and am contractually obliged to own and maintain a car for work. And we get some seriously unpleasant weather. I do, however, have a fuel-efficient little car that a family member kindly gave me.

Sell off all my shiny bikes, replace them with one second-hand beater, and invest the proceeds in my pension.

Eat eggs as my source of protein. I have a lifelong aversion to eggs in any form except disguised in cake, and having cake as my source of protein, while appealing, would be odd beyond measure.

Wear the same shirt for a week, a month, or whatever without washing it.

Seek out discomfort for its own sake. I've given birth four times; I have nothing to prove.

Have squashed sandwiches from my jersey pocket and water for lunch when I'm out on long bike rides instead of stopping at a tearoom for coffee and something freshly made.

Regard facepunching as acceptable, either as the puncher or as the face.
Ha! Good point!

Laura33

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #86 on: May 31, 2017, 06:37:20 AM »
Ha! Good point!

Totally true. 

And yet I have found the stoicism part to be the most helpful overall to my mindset, because it is useful to remind myself that I still *can* do that hard stuff.  It's like back when I was running and there was this hella hard, long hill ["real" runners would scoff at the gentle incline, but the 1.3K length made it freaking impossible for me], and I would plod up it and say, over and over, "I pushed out a baby with a failed epidural, I can make it up this motherfucking hill."  And I did, every time. 

Tl;dr:  I don't have to prove anything to anyone.  But sometimes it's still helpful to remind myself what I am capable of.

des999

• Bristles
« Reply #87 on: May 31, 2017, 07:16:28 AM »
I have a long commute (like 55 minutes each way).  I used to live in the city and rode my bike to work, but the cost of living was so much higher, and I don't like living in the suburbs.  I moved out to the country, and love every minute of it.  Plus I live in a community with a golf course, pool, lake, etc...  I also have 2 acres and a nice house for under 150k.   I would live downtown if I didn't have a kid in school.  I love city life, but I love my privacy as well.  Had to choose one.  :)

I also am in IT, so I have the ability to work from home, which makes the commute very manageable.  I'm sure i put more miles on my car, and spend more on gas than most, but I think the trade off is worth it.  I drive an old honda civic, so it's some what economical.

I also eat out and take more vacations than I should.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #88 on: May 31, 2017, 07:34:30 AM »

To me, a "beater" is a car that looks, smells, or sounds crappy, or performs poorly (or all four!).  More a sign of neglect than age or miles (but those do matter too).  I'm talking fugly rust, bad paint, shitty exhaust, blowing smoke, slipping transmission, that sort of thing.  I've driven some "beaters" by this definition and also some happen-to-be-older-but-still-seem-nice cars and people definitely perceive the latter quite differently even if they're older than the clear "beaters."  Current car is a rust-free (from Texas) 2001 car in good shape that had the same body style until 2007, so it looks/"seems" a lot newer/nicer than it is.

BeanCounter

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #89 on: May 31, 2017, 08:20:52 AM »

To me, a "beater" is a car that looks, smells, or sounds crappy, or performs poorly (or all four!).  More a sign of neglect than age or miles (but those do matter too).  I'm talking fugly rust, bad paint, shitty exhaust, blowing smoke, slipping transmission, that sort of thing.  I've driven some "beaters" by this definition and also some happen-to-be-older-but-still-seem-nice cars and people definitely perceive the latter quite differently even if they're older than the clear "beaters."  Current car is a rust-free (from Texas) 2001 car in good shape that had the same body style until 2007, so it looks/"seems" a lot newer/nicer than it is.
If they can hear me coming from a block away (like the car my DH drove in college), if it is in the shop more than twice in a year, or if it's full of rust or faded paint it's gone. Otherwise I'm happy to drive an older model basic car, Accord, minivan, Outback etc until it gets to that point. DH has a 2010 Honda Accord with 150k miles, older model but still looks good enough and runs great. I drive a 2012 CRV with 60k miles. Bought them used and paid cash.
We used to drive beaters. I mean really old beat up cars. But both DH and I have executive level jobs now and we're not willing to roll into work like that. It would also be unacceptable for me to miss a meeting or something because my beater was in the shop. Call it lifestyle inflation and give me a face punch!

Pigeon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #90 on: May 31, 2017, 08:35:13 AM »
What makes it a beater to me is a combination of reliability and safety.  I do not live in a place where there is public transportation to my place of work or dh's, and neither of us have coworkers we could get rides with.  It is a major pain in the butt to have a car in the shop, and it usually means I have to take a vacation day to do it.  I don't care what my car looks like, but I don't want to have to schlepp it in for repairs all the time.  And no, I can't do them myself.  I don't have a mechanical bone in my body.

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #91 on: May 31, 2017, 08:57:59 AM »
I won't bike in the winter but I think that's fair cause it's very snowy and icy and -20C and the bus is pretty cheap. I won't live with roommates to save money anymore cause my last one bailed and I got stuck with someone shitty and I would rather not deal with that again, and my rent is still reasonable. I'd say most of my life is fairly mustachian but I will splurge on going out with friends sometimes and my main "unnecessary" expenditure is travel. I want to see as much of the world as I can and I don't want to wait until I retire because you never know what will happen. I still save money by hosteling and couchsurfing and getting good deals on flights, but I don't want to look back and regret never going places just so I could save more money.

Rimu05

• Bristles
« Reply #92 on: May 31, 2017, 09:21:56 AM »
This thread makes me me so happy. I always feel like such a failed mustachian.

I am also team, I don't budget.

I have a very clear picture of where my money is going and only have four fixed expenses and what I call wastage money which is that I am going to buy an ice cream cone here and there and I am going to buy a bag of chips on Friday and netflix and chill solo.

When my expenses are high, I don't have to look at my statement to know what I spent on.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 09:28:55 AM by Rimu05 »

engineermom21

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #93 on: May 31, 2017, 10:25:17 AM »
Buy a small house.  We have a house that is much bigger than we really *need* at almost 3,400 square feet, but I love it nonetheless.  We also got an awesome deal on it, and it has gone up close to $100K in value in the 3 years we have been in it, so that makes me feel a little bit better.  And our mortgage is still right around $1K a month, which I am totally fine with.  Still, definitely not mustachian of us. 

Moustachienne

• Bristles
« Reply #94 on: May 31, 2017, 10:41:29 AM »
Gotta say - I never thought the MMM message was to drive a beater.  An unreliable car that belches smoke and spends time in the shop?  Just no. Cheap=/= mustachian.

Budget tracking?  I don't and MMM doesn't either at this point.  But YMMV depending on your temperament, goals, and life stage.   We will start tracking again for the first time in years as we adjust to retirement vs salary income.

But on to the non-mustachian things:

- mow own lawn with reel mower but have hired gardeners to prune, mulch, and weed  a few times/year - SO worth it.
- still insuring 2 cars (2000 Subaru and 2003 Echo) because we can't decide on the 1 car replacement
- still paying too much for cell/phone/cable/internet because we need to rethink our whole "entertainment/communications" strategy

frugaliknowit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #95 on: May 31, 2017, 11:15:48 AM »
1.  I don't wash ziplocks.  However, I do use Aldi's private brand "Boulder".

2.  In the summer, if my bedroom exceeds 76 degrees, A/C is on.

3.  I don't shop for bikes on Craigslist.  I generally buy them new (or from a friend) and keep them long.  Used bikes in Chicago are crazy high relative to new ones.  I've been burned by messed up used bikes.  Most of the people selling them can't even tell you the frame size (such a time waste...). 

3.  I buy my ski gear new and high end, but buy it off season (~50% of retail).

4.  I only ride on puncture resistant bike tires (the aggravation and frequency of flats in the city is not worth it to me).

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #96 on: May 31, 2017, 11:57:48 AM »
Gotta say - I never thought the MMM message was to drive a beater.  An unreliable car that belches smoke and spends time in the shop?  Just no. Cheap=/= mustachian.
Well, in his car recommendation article in 2012, he makes recommendations of cars ranging from about $5k to $10k, absolutely none of what I would consider a beater.  But his target potential-new-readers audience of conspicuous consumers probably considers a $5k car a "beater" or "shitbox" and a giant step down from a brand new $20-30k car.

For myself, five years later, that article is finally relevant, even though all the numbers are smaller now.  Still not really beaters to me.

Moustachienne

• Bristles
« Reply #97 on: May 31, 2017, 12:32:06 PM »
Yeah, we bought our 2003 Echo in 2013 for around $6K.  Used, old, cheap - but totally not a beater.  Still looks great and runs great.

Well, in his car recommendation article in 2012, he makes recommendations of cars ranging from about $5k to $10k, absolutely none of what I would consider a beater.  But his target potential-new-readers audience of conspicuous consumers probably considers a $5k car a "beater" or "shitbox" and a giant step down from a brand new $20-30k car.

For myself, five years later, that article is finally relevant, even though all the numbers are smaller now.  Still not really beaters to me.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #98 on: May 31, 2017, 02:17:31 PM »
relieved to see so many apostates on here. I feel like i'm merely half-ass rather than badass most of the time.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #99 on: May 31, 2017, 11:01:27 PM »
Before finding MMM we have twice in a row bought a brand new car with full extra equipment package. Now I wouldn't do that again, but I would probably still buy a car that is only a few years old with little mileage.