Author Topic: What common mustachian things do you refuse to do, and why?  (Read 29647 times)

The Money Monk

• Pencil Stache
There are a lot of habits that mustachians do to save money, and I use many of them. some however, are just too annoying or whatever, and I refuse to do them. Post what yours are.

Here are mine:

- wash out ziplocs - Most of the time I don't even use them, i just use tupperware which isn't that much more expensive and can be used for decades.

- hang-dry clothing - Hang drying saves like 50 cents or less with most modern dryers. takes way to long and bothers me too much for that amount of savings. Also it doesn't work all that well here in florida, too humid.

- cut lawn with reel mower - I have a $100 mower that I have been using for years, and has many years left in it. Some people swear that reel mowers work as well (or even better!) but I am just not interested in finding out.

I know I have more, but that is all I can think of for now.

Rowellen

• Bristles
Re: What common mustachian things do you refuse to do, and why?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2017, 04:45:42 AM »
Ride a bike. Reason = health issues = owies. Not happening.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2017, 05:07:39 AM »
- Have a cheap house
- Have a short commute

Yup, a real poster boy here :)

FIstateofmind

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2017, 05:23:27 AM »
Bike commute often. I live in Florida and it's just too hot most of the time. I feel a lot of things to save can't be done in Florida. XD

lemonde

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • A puzzle in progress...
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2017, 06:55:10 AM »
Bike commute. Too long, too dangerous. Much happier with the clown car.
Reel mower. Put it in the basement, happier with an electric.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2017, 07:10:32 AM »
I'm not interested in biking - there are no bike lanes here, and I'm not super steady, and I'm not very fast either, so it seems like a bad plan for me. Also, it's really cold and icy here in the winter.

But I'm always surprised when people say you can't line dry laundry in Florida, because I grew up there and we didn't have a dryer. And I lived in Miami when my kids were babies, and not only didn't we have a dryer, we used cloth diapers and line dried them. And I spent several summers in the last few years at my mom's house, without a dryer. I'd say that laundry dries really, really fast there, because the sun is so intense. You just have to pay attention and get stuff off the line before the afternoon storms blow through.

I don't think line drying is a huge money saver, it's just something that's easy to be cheap about!

lemonde

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2017, 07:22:12 AM »
We line dry in northern Illinois, although we also have a rack that gets much more use (not due to cold, but due to rain, rain, rain).

anotherAlias

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2017, 07:41:34 AM »
I don't even own a bike.  Biking kills my one hip.  I also don't line dry my clothes anymore.  I used to but my current home doesn't have enough space for drying racks and my allergies don't allow for line drying outside.  Yet despite these unmustachian habits my annual spend is under 22k so I guess I can still call myself a mustachian.

Broadway2019

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2017, 09:12:43 AM »
Drive a beater car or a FWD. I love Subaru's and the AWD.

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2017, 09:29:06 AM »
Ride a bike. We hates it, Precious.

redbird

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2017, 09:48:29 AM »
There are a lot of habits that mustachians do to save money, and I use many of them. some however, are just too annoying or whatever, and I refuse to do them. Post what yours are.

Here are mine:

- wash out ziplocs - Most of the time I don't even use them, i just use tupperware which isn't that much more expensive and can be used for decades.

I don't do that either. IMO, you should be using re-usable containers as much as possible when it comes to cooking. If you do that, you will rarely use Ziplocks and therefore washing them won't save you much.

I don't use a reel mower. Screw that. My yard is too big and has some hills. It's annoying as it is at times with a gas mower. Advantage of the gas mower too is I got it for free from the in-laws. They had an extra one they weren't using and as part of a housewarming gift they paid for getting it cleaned up/tuned up/blade replaced.

I DO hang dry (indoors). But that's less about me being cheap and more about it making clothes lasting longer. I *despise* clothes shopping, and the longer clothes last, the longer I don't have to buy any. It's not the cost that I hate, it's the fact that I am short and small and it's hard to find clothes my size. It makes clothes shopping take forever and feel very stressful. It doesn't matter if I'm in a high end store or a thrift store - it's always true for me.

lemonde

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2017, 10:20:09 AM »
/tuned up/blade replaced.

I DO hang dry (indoors). But that's less about me being cheap and more about it making clothes lasting longer. I *despise* clothes shopping, and the longer clothes last, the longer I don't have to buy any. It's not the cost that I hate, it's the fact that I am short and small and it's hard to find clothes my size. It makes clothes shopping take forever and feel very stressful. It doesn't matter if I'm in a high end store or a thrift store - it's always true for me.

Ditto; it's not about the money, but about a.) preserving my clothes and b.) preserving the earth. I recently bought about 12 tops to complete my lifetime longsleeved wardrobe and I'd ideally like them to last at least a decade. I don't want them to ever pass through the dryer.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2017, 10:53:29 AM »
In my mind, these are things I choose not to do. Refuse is too strong a word, as I don't care enough anymore. Well, technically, I don't need to care these days, because this MMM stuff works, it really works. I should add that I'm FIRE, but DH still works. We live on his salary and still save roughly 25%.

1. Budget - our frugal habits are pretty well ingrained by now.
2. Bike - I used to be a fairly hard-core cyclist, but now my knees are old. Also MIL w/ Alz lives with us, so not happening.
3. Worry about utility bills - I don't want to be cold in the winter.
4. Drive beater cars - Nope, don't need to. Paid for is important, but so is condition.
5. Feel guilty for adding something to my cart at the grocery store that's not on the list. The list is a memory aid only, lol.

bugbaby

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2017, 11:35:43 AM »
Ok I'll confess. I can't ride a bike. I'm 40 . I've tried.  At this point too embarrassed to learn..

Re: clothes, I also hate to shop. I have plenty but I gained weight and most of my faves are now tight. Argh I know what I need to do

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk

better late

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2017, 11:52:16 AM »
I refuse to sleep in a hot room -- I am older and my internal temperature is all over the place. So I put on the A/C more than typically would be necessary for most. 

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2017, 12:03:19 PM »
Drive only beater cars. We keep each car at least 10 years, so we usually have a 'beater' in residence, but it is not our only car.  I lived with old, unreliable vehicles for years when we were poor. I'm done with that tiresome shit.

Bike.  I would be happy to bike in non trafficked areas where few other people exist, but that isn't happening around here.  And no way will I bike on roads with cars.  Too many friends and acquaintances repeatedly injured (several permanently) or actually KILLED while biking on roads.  Plus, I don't enjoy biking that much.  I'm happy to walk a couple miles in decent weather.

Blissful Biker

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2017, 12:10:36 PM »

I really value good bikes and skis and am willing to pay for them.  I think it still kind of falls within mustachianism in that I am very clear on what brings me joy and do not squander money on stuff that does not.

Another is annuals (vs perenials).  I spent $200 on flowers this spring knowing that I will need to spend that every year.  But again, they bring me joy.

lemonde

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2017, 12:34:21 PM »
Drive only beater cars. We keep each car at least 10 years, so we usually have a 'beater' in residence, but it is not our only car.  I lived with old, unreliable vehicles for years when we were poor. I'm done with that tiresome shit.

+1. Everything we drive has ESC, side airbags, and good front / side crash scores as a minimum. We look at it as another form of health insurance.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2017, 01:22:24 PM »
I don't budget.

If it needs buying, I buy it. Some months more things need buying. That's fine.

lbmustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2017, 02:36:19 PM »
+3 on the NO BEATER CARS. I get that "safety is an illusion," I get that I should reduce my commute or just bike, etc. but it's not going to happen. I'm not saying everyone needs to drive a 2017 Suburban to avoid getting reduced to mush in an accident, but I definitely will not be driving a car without modern safety features.

For anyone curious, here is a 98 Corolla vs a 2015 Corolla. Just a flat out NO from me on any 90s cars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyLE9wFl4pU (98 Corolla driver perspective)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bfau5HZ6ro (15 Corolla driver perspective)

aetheldrea

• Stubble
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2017, 02:44:03 PM »
Ok I'll confess. I can't ride a bike. I'm 40 . I've tried.  At this point too embarrassed to learn..

Re: clothes, I also hate to shop. I have plenty but I gained weight and most of my faves are now tight. Argh I know what I need to do

Cause.

Effect.

:-)

Lookilu

• Stubble
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2017, 03:57:59 PM »
I lived with old, unreliable vehicles for years when we were poor. I'm done with that tiresome shit.

+1
The peace of mind that comes with knowing that your car will start and get you where you're going is worth it to me. I bought my 2009 Honda Civic new and, yes, I'll buy another new one when the time comes...years from now most likely.

bugbaby

• Bristles
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2017, 04:07:21 PM »

Cause.

Effect.

:-)
Ha! (facepunch taken)
I actually think I'll reconsider... one of my job sites is just 3.5 miles away too!

Lila8

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2017, 04:38:34 PM »
I'll be real original and say biking.
Never learned how. The first and last attempt at age 19 resulted in injuries.
And besides, this is car country and I'd feel out of my comfort zone sharing the rode on a bike with the nuttery I observe daily by car drivers.

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2017, 04:48:36 PM »
+3 on the NO BEATER CARS. I get that "safety is an illusion," I get that I should reduce my commute or just bike, etc. but it's not going to happen. I'm not saying everyone needs to drive a 2017 Suburban to avoid getting reduced to mush in an accident, but I definitely will not be driving a car without modern safety features.

For anyone curious, here is a 98 Corolla vs a 2015 Corolla. Just a flat out NO from me on any 90s cars.

Earlier this year my wife and I were T-boned and flipped upside down in our 2013 Subaru. We both walked away with only minor airbag burns and some bruises. Can't say what would have happened if we were in a beater, but I sure am glad I didn't have to find out.

lemonde

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2017, 05:01:39 PM »

Earlier this year my wife and I were T-boned and flipped upside down in our 2013 Subaru. We both walked away with only minor airbag burns and some bruises. Can't say what would have happened if we were in a beater, but I sure am glad I didn't have to find out.

Considering the fact that recent Subarus (and nearly all recent vehicles) have roofs designed to support 4x vehicle weight specifically to avoid roof collapse in rollovers, and virtually no cars made before around 2008 were designed this way (the federal standard was and continues to be 1.5x vehicle weight, which is rubbish), there's a good chance you and your wife would either have suffered death, lifelong brain damage, or paralyses due to broken necks, crushed skulls, etc. That's ignoring the near-guarantee of brain damage or death for whoever was on the near side of the T-bone, had the Subaru not had a good side impact score and side airbags with head/torso protection. Car crashes are terrible, life-altering things and not where I want life as cheap as possible for my family.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 05:06:46 PM by lemonde »

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2017, 05:42:50 PM »
Considering the fact that recent Subarus (and nearly all recent vehicles) have roofs designed to support 4x vehicle weight specifically to avoid roof collapse in rollovers, and virtually no cars made before around 2008 were designed this way (the federal standard was and continues to be 1.5x vehicle weight, which is rubbish), there's a good chance you and your wife would either have suffered death, lifelong brain damage, or paralyses due to broken necks, crushed skulls, etc. That's ignoring the near-guarantee of brain damage or death for whoever was on the near side of the T-bone, had the Subaru not had a good side impact score and side airbags with head/torso protection. Car crashes are terrible, life-altering things and not where I want life as cheap as possible for my family.

Yikes, I'm doubly glad, then. What's crazy is that we were hit hard enough to flip us by a much smaller car and yet the impact dent pushed inward maybe ~1.5-2 inches (other driver was also uninjured). It's crazy how well modern cars are engineered and I am definitely always buying new or recent model year used looking forward. There are plenty of other ways to save money and I refuse to feel bad about paying a couple thousand extra to ensure my family is protected by the best modern safety features.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2017, 05:48:32 PM »
Buy a Honda Fit.

I love my 4x4 and I go places with it. :)

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2017, 06:33:42 PM »
-- Commute by bicycle. It's 16 miles to my job on major roads where I would be killed by big trucks if I didn't drive. I do ride my bicycle everywhere I go in town and to nearby towns, though.

-- Live close to work. That would cost me approximately $400,000 more than the house where I currently live, so it's not worth it.

-- Eat lentils. Ew.

-- Buy a beater shitbox car. Yeah, I know it was a lot more expensive, but I paid cash for a new car six years ago and I've had zero mechanical issues with it while driving it 10,000 miles per year on average. The reliability is worth it to me.

-- Use Republic/Ting/Other Cheapo cell phone service. I get unlimited 4GLTE with Verizon for $75/mo. It's worth it to me to never have to depend on free wifi when I'm out.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2017, 07:56:25 PM »
Bike in cold or wet weather: just not that badass I guess, and I have Reynaud's

Use a bike trailer: I live on a busy highway with gravel shoulders, at the top of a big hill. I am huffing and puffing on my own. I would do this if I lived in a different location.

Paleo diet: the science seems fuzzy and I can keep my weight down without it

Cloth diapers: maybe if I didn't have to work. The prospect of washing them out at the end of a 12+ hour day seems ridiculous

Voluntary discomfort things with no foreseeable benefit: just no.

Per the other topics on here, I do line dry the clothes and I use reusable containers instead of Ziplocs

Pigeon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2017, 08:26:45 PM »
Bike. I live in the suburbs. I like it here. Biking is not happening.

Hanging laundry. Dh does it sometimes and I hate it. The laundry is  crunchy, and the lint and dog hair are still on it. If he hangs it in the basement it smells musty.

Beater cars. I buy inexpensive new cars and keep them for a long time.

I also use Verizon, after trying many other options.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 08:32:27 PM by Pigeon »

dreams_and_discoveries

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2017, 01:33:11 AM »
I love these replies, I feel in good company.

Mine are all kinda related to housing
  • Live ~14 miles from work in central London. Hell no, I'm not living in the noisy, expensive urban sprawl
  • Have more house than I need. Yes I have a 3 bed semi for me (although do have a lodger). I really love a garden, and decent gardens come with bigger houses
  • Biking. See above 14 miles commute - I do public transport which is a happy medium

I'm kind of in sync with some of the other tenets
  • High savings rate
  • Cooking own food - although fussyness also helps here
  • Library Lover
  • Hiking Fan
  • Never pay retail
  • DIY'r
  • And most importantly, spending money on what actually brings me joy. In my case theatre and travel

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2017, 05:34:21 AM »
I have exactly zero qualms about paying for experiences I enjoy.

Recent examples: I bought Hamilton tickets for more than it cost for an entire season of shows at my favorite theater (which, of course, I also bought). I'm going to buy a Knott's season pass so I can master their rated G Westworld-esque interactive experience with my sisters and catch a bunch of melodrama and improv shows while there.

Basically, I live for live performances: theater, symphonies, jazz combos, dance, rock concerts. I love my job, thank goodness, but I need the arts (which I enjoy with family and friends) in addition to that to feel like I'm really alive.

I think cutting down on spending overall has helped me discover what spending truly makes me happy.

TaraB

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • my journal
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2017, 06:05:59 AM »
Like many, I'll cop to owning a 2014 Subaru that I bought new (hey my prior car was totaled) for my 6 mile commute. I don't even own a bike right now, my last one got stolen at college 12 years ago. Since the car is paid off and I don't put too many miles on it,I imagine I can keep it for many years to come.

I have an expensive ice cream habit right now- the kind I like is 4-5$ per pint. (I'm a lifetime Weught Watchers person- low points does not mean cheap!)

And yes I have cable (even HBO and Showtime), but I don't have DVR. Although once my current contract pricing ends in August I'm going to try to cancel unless evil Comcast can match the price I want to pay.

I pay landscapers to mow my lawn. I have a steep hill in my backyard and I frequently slip while gardening or watering so I prefer to outsource. They come every other week as a nod to saving money.

I use those plastic disposable containers for my lunches (I kinda meal prep) instead of Pyrex because that's what I currently have at my house. I used to have a set of Pyrex but over the years it has disappeared.

I also have a bunch of my net  worth in individual stocks (gasp!) because it has been passed down from my family. I'm ok with this.

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2017, 06:49:57 AM »
You will pry my air conditioning from my (hopefully) cold, dead hands.

I do hang some laundry if I know it will be adversely affected by the dryer, other than that, no.

If I ate beans and rice all the time I'd be even fatter than I am now. 

I will DIY very minor things, but gladly pay someone for the big things.

Seriously, EFF Craigslist.  People be crazy there.

What we do:

Cricket phone service ($70/month for two phones).

Cook at home.  We've only eaten in restaurants twice this year and one meal was paid for by Mr. Mandalay's department VP.  Besides, I like to make food.

Drive older cars.  Mine is a 2008 Toyota RAV4, looks great, runs like a dream, >56,000 miles.  Mr. Mandalay drives a 2001 Honda CR-V with 163,000 miles.  We did have some work done on it recently in preparation for the 750-mile drive to Orlando, but it runs great as well and looks pretty decent for its age.

No cable.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2017, 07:14:25 AM »
Drive a beater car or a FWD. I love Subaru's and the AWD.

Here is another Mustachian preferring a Subaru. We also have a small Suzuki as a second car. In our neighbourhood we need a good car with 4WD to get home in the winter.

I hate beater cars too. Cars need to be reliable. On the other hand, a cheap car can be reliable as well. That Suzuki of ours was bought 10 years old and has proved to be reliable.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2017, 07:18:51 AM »
I don't budget.

If it needs buying, I buy it. Some months more things need buying. That's fine.

Me too. Budgets are in my eyes for people who don't control what they buy. But as long as I shop carefully, they is no need to budget for me.

Clean Shaven

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2017, 07:55:58 AM »
My "not going to do it" is minimize the commute distance by living close to work.

I live in the mountains, surrounded by pine forest, which is a drive of 23 miles to downtown and work. (18 by bicycle, which I do once or twice a week.) I can mountain bike or hike right from my door. Downtown is a shit hole IMHO, and I never go there except for work. No way am I going to live there.

Barbaebigode

• Stubble
« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2017, 08:41:15 AM »
Bulk buying. My house is tiny, and if I bought in bulk, it would look like a hoarder's house. Although if I ever design my own (small) house I would include a decent sized pantry.

Living in a poorer neighborhood. I live in a 3rd world violent country, so I will stick with my upper middle class area.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 08:44:57 AM by Barbaebigode »

Khaetra

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2017, 09:11:08 AM »
I'll join others in the 'no biking' chorus.  Where I live it's not safe (we've had a lot of kids hit this year :( ), so I happily drive my new Fit.

I also don't budget, I spend more on good food, I don't mind paying for experiences and I run my A/C.  I've had enough 'beaters' to last a lifetime, so no more of those either!

Erma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2017, 09:19:09 AM »
I don't live near work.

1) It would be in a city - I am not a city person. It is too loud, too polluted, too busy
2) It would double the commute for my boyfriend
3) It is crazy expensive

lemonde

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2017, 09:44:27 AM »
We have more than one child and plan on having more than that!

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2017, 09:59:00 AM »
Make my own pizza.  It's always a last minute, don't wanna cook and clean thing for us, and we can get a good pizza for $7.  They make it, I bring it home and bake it, and we have enough leftovers for lunch too.

I tried biking, just on the paths around here (no commute), and between the strollers and dogs with long leashes it's horrid.  I'd rather walk.  Plus I fell twice.

Pigeon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2017, 10:53:40 AM »
Ah the pizza thing. Dh makes pizza but I refuse. The whole point of pizza is that I want quick, relatively cheap, tasty take-out. Homemade pizza is never as good as take-out. He raves about his and it is OK but I'd rather have take-out.

rudged

• Stubble
« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2017, 11:40:39 AM »
This will probably sound like heresy, but retire early. I discovered MMM long after I had chosen a career (academia) largely because I wanted a job that I could do for the rest of my life, and also after the purchase of a house that I fully admit now is probably too large for two people. I suppose I could retire very soon given how much I previously saved and also how our expenses have diminished since I started my path under MMM's able guidance. As an academic I have a lot of discretion regarding how I spend my time. I think MMM's lessons on how to optimize living have wide applicability for everyone, not merely those who are focused on early retirement. I've wondered from time to time whether somewhere in the blog there should be a special section for Gray Mustaschians (individuals who come to MMM later in life) and SWAMIs.

TravelJunkyQC

• Bristles
« Reply #45 on: May 29, 2017, 12:06:02 PM »
1. Budget - never made one, never felt the need to. I spend very little, but always according to my exact needs or values. Nothing more, nothing less.
2. Currently live in-town in a small loft condo with my partner. However, we don't want to raise a family in the city, so we're looking for a place outside, with a huge amount of forested land. It's the only thing we aren't willing to compromise on.
3. Pay for activities we love. These tend to be cheap (camping, playing outside), but I'll happily pay for entrance to a park without hesitation.

Everything else, high savings rate, eating cheaply, low-cost car, etc... I'm on board.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #46 on: May 29, 2017, 12:31:12 PM »
Biking - It's uncomfortable, I don't feel safe, and I'd rather walk. Plus I don't feel like cramming a bike into my tiny apartment (or paying $80/yr to keep it in the building's storage area).

Short commute - I love where I live, and my 1.5-2 hr. bus/train commute is fine, and my job pays for (most of) it. I can read, sleep, do homework... whatever I'd be doing at home, really. Plus I only do this 3 days per week.

Line/hang dry - No room. And I hate laundry/ the last thing I want to do is prolong the experience.

Never eat out - I like being able to give people money and they give me prepared food. This goes all the way from McDonalds (occasionally) to fancier places (we fully anticipate that our anniversary dinner will be $200-300, but we enjoy it immensely and budget for it accordingly). That said, I do cook most meals at home and almost always bring my breakfast/lunch from home.

Retire early - At FI, I plan to quit my well-paying job and go do work I'm interested in. Work in a tea store, work in a game store, dog walker/sitter/trainer, baker, etc.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #47 on: May 29, 2017, 01:24:18 PM »
I've wondered from time to time whether somewhere in the blog there should be a special section for Gray Mustaschians (individuals who come to MMM later in life) and SWAMIs.

There is a thread for those who discovered MMM over the age of 40, independent on hair colour.

BeanCounter

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #48 on: May 29, 2017, 01:45:57 PM »

-Commute- DH drives 42 miles each way. I drive 12 miles each way in the opposite direction. It would probably make sense for me to get a new job and for us to both live in the city he works in. But we've built a nice life here, and don't want to take the kids out of school etc.

-3,000 square foot suburban house for a family of four. Much more than we need but we wanted to be in this neighborhood for the schools and the other families we love.

-Cable TV- it's a must for DH. He loves his sports. At this point I don't think cutting it would affect our FIRE date enough to argue about it.

-Thrifting- the only thing I have successfully bought second hand is wood furniture and cars. If I happen upon something I need in a neighborhood sale or something great, but I find thrifting to be a time suck. And I don't have enough time.

-Biking- not gonna happen. I could never commute by bike in this city with an 8 and 4 year old. I don't really enjoy biking enough for exercise to own one. I prefer to walk, go for a jog or take a long hike.

-Line drying my clothes- smells nice, but right now my time is more valuable then the small savings this would bring. Pretty sure I would get some crazy looks in the neighborhood anyway.

But when we RE- ALL of the above will be reconsidered. Ok, maybe all of the above except biking. Pretty firm on that one.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #49 on: May 29, 2017, 02:00:47 PM »
As a teenager I biked 30 kms a day to and from school. Later, when I lived and worked in the same town, I biked everywhere. Now, here in Norway I bike seldom to work. I should do it more, but are not so motivated. I would cycle small roads that are verry hilly and very narrow. And some of the cars and utility vehicles are not so carefull. But I do walk a lot to work. It takes at least twice as much time as cycling, but I can walk through a forest for half the time, which I find pleasant. I know I could cycle through the forest, but this requires terrain cycling which I am dreadfull at. Maybe I will walk/cycle through the forest tomorrow to save some some on half the way. Or I could drive and spend my saved time and doing household errands (clean windows and bathrooms) ir working in the garden that is full of weed.

I still spend money on a certain amount of unhealthy food in the form of candies.