Author Topic: What CC sign up bonus to get next?  (Read 4546 times)

Debts_of_Despair

• Pencil Stache
What CC sign up bonus to get next?
« on: July 16, 2018, 05:33:37 PM »
I've been paying my wife's grad school tuition with credit cards.  Each semester I open a new card to get the sign up bonus.  She has two semesters left so I will be signing up for two more cards.  I believe I've exhausted all the Chase options.

So far I've done:
  • Chase Sapphire Reserve for both of us
  • Chase Sapphire Preferred for me only.  We still have the Reserve card in her name.  Chase changed the policy so you can only have one Sapphire card at a time.
  • Chase Ink Business Preferred for both of us

I guess AMEX has some nice options but Chase really sucked me into their system and I still have a lot of points with them I need to redeem.  Maybe I should plan to get a couple AMEX cards and then combine the points from AMEX and Chase by transferring them to an airline program?

What do you think?

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
Re: What CC sign up bonus to get next?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2018, 06:54:36 PM »
Check out reddit.com/r/churning, they have a lot of info and a good flowchart ("are you over 5/24?").

zoochadookdook

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2018, 09:57:26 AM »
I've been paying my wife's grad school tuition with credit cards.  Each semester I open a new card to get the sign up bonus.  She has two semesters left so I will be signing up for two more cards.  I believe I've exhausted all the Chase options.

So far I've done:
  • Chase Sapphire Reserve for both of us
  • Chase Sapphire Preferred for me only.  We still have the Reserve card in her name.  Chase changed the policy so you can only have one Sapphire card at a time.
  • Chase Ink Business Preferred for both of us

I guess AMEX has some nice options but Chase really sucked me into their system and I still have a lot of points with them I need to redeem.  Maybe I should plan to get a couple AMEX cards and then combine the points from AMEX and Chase by transferring them to an airline program?

What do you think?

depending on how long ago you opened the chase cards and got the bonuses; you could down grade the annual fee cards to standard inks/freedoms or close them and reopen new ones. I just signed up for CIP with a 120k voucher.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2018, 10:46:14 AM »
Hit Chase up while you can. Getting an AmEx will get you closer to 5/24 and then no Chase Marriott or other Chase restricted cards.

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2018, 12:21:21 PM »
What airlines or hotels do you use?   Look at what's available.

Barclay has an AA card (Aviator Red I believe) with a 50,000 or 60,000 sign up bonus after a SINGLE purchase.  I believe Citi also has an AA card that is currently offering a 60,000 mile sign up bonus with a spend.  But none of this is useful if AA isn't convenient to your location.

Doctor of Credit has a spreadsheet that show available credit card offers as well as what the highest public bonus has ever been.

Debts_of_Despair

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2018, 02:30:09 PM »
What airlines or hotels do you use?   Look at what's available.

Barclay has an AA card (Aviator Red I believe) with a 50,000 or 60,000 sign up bonus after a SINGLE purchase.  I believe Citi also has an AA card that is currently offering a 60,000 mile sign up bonus with a spend.  But none of this is useful if AA isn't convenient to your location.

Doctor of Credit has a spreadsheet that show available credit card offers as well as what the highest public bonus has ever been.

I have no allegiance to any airline or hotel chain.  I'm almost thinking I need to decide what kind of trip I might want to go on and then select an airline and/or hotel card for that trip.

Debts_of_Despair

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2018, 06:40:43 PM »
Not sure why I couldn't find these before but Chase has two other business cards that you can hold concurrently.

https://onemileatatime.com/chase-business-card-trifecta/

I signed up for the "Ink Business Unlimited."  50k Ultimate Rewards signup bonus x 1.5 = $750 to spend on travel.  No annual fee.  No brainer.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2018, 07:09:40 PM »
Not sure why I couldn't find these before but Chase has two other business cards that you can hold concurrently.

https://onemileatatime.com/chase-business-card-trifecta/

I signed up for the "Ink Business Unlimited."  50k Ultimate Rewards signup bonus x 1.5 = $750 to spend on travel.  No annual fee.  No brainer.

Ink Business Unlimited is $500 cash back after $3k spending, no? It isn't an UR card.

Debts_of_Despair

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2018, 07:29:31 PM »
I can transfer the points to the CSR card that we still have for the 1.5x multiplier.

If you spend $3,000 in the first three months after account opening, you’ll earn $500 cash back — unless you convert that cash to Ultimate Rewards points. Then it gets a whole lot better.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 05:26:49 AM by Debts_of_Despair »

Penn42

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2018, 08:47:04 PM »
I'm currently looking at the AAdvantage Red Aviator mentioned upthread. 

However, I have some room left in my 5/24 timeline, so I'm thinking of getting one of the Chase Southwest rapid rewards cards first. 

However #2, I need to look into the Southwest offer more because I think it has a companion order that expires.  If it does it would be useless to me since I'm planning on using my Alaska Airlines companion fare next March and I don't want to waste the SW one.

Decisions, decisions.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2018, 07:35:18 AM »

However, I have some room left in my 5/24 timeline, so I'm thinking of getting one of the Chase Southwest rapid rewards cards first. 

However #2, I need to look into the Southwest offer more because I think it has a companion order that expires.  If it does it would be useless to me since I'm planning on using my Alaska Airlines companion fare next March and I don't want to waste the SW one.

Decisions, decisions.

Yes, you need to hit 110k points in a year, and then you get companion for the rest of that year and the next full year. So the best time is January.

Penn42

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2018, 08:50:29 AM »

Decisions, decisions.

Yes, you need to hit 110k points in a year, and then you get companion for the rest of that year and the next full year. So the best time is January.

Oh ok.  Well I'll probably not worry about that then since there's no way I'm hitting 110k in a year even with the bonus.  Even if I could pay every single expense with credit and get 3% across the board I wouldn't make it.    40,000 points on its own though sounds nice, so I'll probably be doing that.

Unique User

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2018, 10:08:04 AM »
Do anyone know if the Chase business cards go toward the 5/24?  We plan on doing the all the Chase hotel cards before we get ready to hit the road in 2020.  We're right at 24 months so I don't want to screw that up. 

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2018, 10:24:49 AM »
Do anyone know if the Chase business cards go toward the 5/24?  We plan on doing the all the Chase hotel cards before we get ready to hit the road in 2020.  We're right at 24 months so I don't want to screw that up.

Why limit yourself to Chase hotel cards?  Right now Marriott and Radisson have good bonus offers.

Unique User

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2018, 10:39:13 AM »

Why limit yourself to Chase hotel cards?  Right now Marriott and Radisson have good bonus offers.

The Marriott, IHG and Hyatt cards are all through Chase, Hilton is through Amex so I'm trying to be strategic as to when we sign up for them.  I need to map it out to make sure we get the best timing/deals on renewal nights, points, etc.  Didn't even think about Radisson, it looks like a good deal although most hotels are in cities which we will be avoiding.  I'll have to add that to my list to include when I map them out.  Thanks!

Jaguar Paw

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2018, 03:40:21 PM »
Some replies to the above stuff as wifey and I have been churning for 2 years now. The chase business cards do not count to 5/24. Do not always be drawn in by the large point bonuses as they aren't created equal, for example: 60K Hyatt points will go wayyyyy further than 100K Hilton points. Hilton points are trash. The southwest companion pass is a sweet gig, last October they increased the bonus to where if you signed up for two of them, you got the 110K points. We got the companion case in January of 2018, so wifey flies for free until 12/31/19.

The reason people apply for Chase cards first is that Chase will stop approving you for cards if you have received five new cards in the last 24 months (5/24). Amex cards, American Airlines cards and several others are normally saved until after 5/24 so you still have cards to sign up for. Since 6/16 we have 2x CSP at 50K, 2x CSR at 100K, 2x chase ink a 80K, 2 x SW cards at 60K (same person for companion pass), 2 x Marriot at 100K, 1 x Hyatt at 60K will also be next card to total 2.

Jaguar Paw

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2018, 03:43:58 PM »
also to OP, How many UR (chase) points do you still have?! We used all of ours on lots of fun vacations. If you still had all those points you could make a doooooope vacation!

Debts_of_Despair

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2018, 09:06:43 PM »
also to OP, How many UR (chase) points do you still have?! We used all of ours on lots of fun vacations. If you still had all those points you could make a doooooope vacation!

Currently sitting on 122k plus pending 50k (x1.5) from new card.  Hoping for something awesome in the near future.

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2018, 12:42:23 PM »
Can anyone here actually confirm the 5/24 rule doesn't apply to Chase Ink?  If you got the Chase Ink and were over 5/24, did you apply in branch?

I was looking at getting one earlier this year but didn't want to be denied and have read tons of conflicting info about this.

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2018, 01:33:57 PM »
Can anyone here actually confirm the 5/24 rule doesn't apply to Chase Ink?  If you got the Chase Ink and were over 5/24, did you apply in branch?

I was looking at getting one earlier this year but didn't want to be denied and have read tons of conflicting info about this.

More than you ever want to know about 5/24:  https://www.doctorofcredit.com/chase-524-rule-explained-detail-need-know/

doctorofcredit is a great resource for credit card info.  flyertalkforums is another.