Author Topic: What car should we buy?  (Read 2543 times)

cincystache

• Bristles
What car should we buy?
« on: April 23, 2019, 03:35:11 PM »
Feeling a little stressed and don't want to make another dumb car decision.

Back in 2016 when our first baby was on the way we leased a new honda accord (dumb car decision #1). That lease is up next month and we have our second baby on the way. We don't really like the accord and prefer something with a little more cargo space. Specifically, fitting a big stroller in the trunk was pretty annoying.

We just inherited a 2009 Nissan Murano with 65k miles from a relative that purchased a new car. My plan was to drive this paid off car getting at least another 5-7 years out of it. However... upon getting the vehicle inspected, the dealer informed us the head gasket is leaking and wants to charge 4k to fix it. The KBB value is 9k private or 6k trade-in but I'm assuming those values are with a fully functional head gasket. The cars has no symptoms After doing some minimal research, I have found these cars have both head gasket issues and transmission issues. I have even read people that paid the 4k to fix it but the issue wasn't fully fixed and the car wasn't the same afterwards.

I'm leaning towards getting rid of the Nissan in favor of something more sensible and reliable with cash. Is this a good idea or should I just pay to have the head gasket replaced? What cars would you recommend for a family of four? I'm 6'5" so I would prefer something mid-size or larger.

Thanks for the input. I'm hoping to stay under 10k

Home Stretch

• Stubble
Re: What car should we buy?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2019, 03:51:42 PM »
I wouldn't trust a Nissan Murano. The reliability issues are no joke and the gas mileage sucks.

I always recommend Toyota/Lexus (and yes used Lexus models definitely still qualify as Mustachian - you can get them for any price depending on age and condition). Specifically, their hybrid models have proven to be very reliable over time, and the batteries usually are good for at least 10 years.

As stereotypical as this advice sounds... check out a Prius. Definitely large enough for a family of four, and the hatchback practicality is no joke. The newer ones are pretty nice on the inside if you get something better than the base model as well. The "Prius V" is even larger - more room for kid stuff.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 03:54:19 PM by Home Stretch »

Buffaloski Boris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2019, 04:10:17 PM »
I’d consider a used toyota sedan or (gasp) a used sienna. The gas mileage on the sienna isn’t as bad as you’d think and if you expand your brood beyond two (Do it! Do it!), you’ll want the extra space.

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2019, 04:37:57 PM »
Don't even think about sinking money into that Murano.

If you want something on the larger side, I'd also recommend a Toyota Sienna, or, if you prefer SUVs, a Toyota Highlander.

If you want older but luxurious, the Lexus RX 330/350 can be had fairly cheap with around 100k miles. If you prefer a new model, the redesign came out in 2016, so 2015 and older models have dropped in price.

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2019, 04:57:18 PM »
Honda Pilot / Acura MDX

rubybeth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2019, 06:50:47 AM »
Honda or Toyota for sure.

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2019, 07:13:44 AM »
Murano to Car Max.  Use the money to buy an umbrella stroller. 

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2019, 07:32:36 AM »
Prius V or Toyota Highlander (there's a hybrid version too) are both good suggestions.

kristof

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2019, 07:58:18 AM »
I'd get a Honda Fit with 100k+ miles on it. I'm taller than you (6'6) and I feel super comfy, and I've never been short on cargo space. I'm pretty sure that's a cheaper solution than any of the other suggestions in this thread (I got mine with 240k miles on it about a month ago for $2,000).

If you want a little fancier, Toyota Matrix/Pontiac Vibe (same car different branding) also has a great reputation and price/performance ratio.

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2019, 08:09:09 AM »
So the big decision when you have two kids is 5 seats (just about every small SUV only seats 5, just like a sedan) or something with a third row (minivan, large SUV).  We live a very car lite lifestyle, and we drive a Honda Fit with two car seats in the back.  It was a bit of a tight fit when both were rear facing, but we turned DD at 3.5 and we all fit fine again.  I suggest the Graco Extend2Fit as a car seat that is good on front to back footprint.

We've fit an adult between the two car seats but it is a very tight fit and we wouldn't want to do it for very long.

We borrowed a Toyota Highlander from a friend once and its third row was a really tight fit with the car seats.  So I don't think a third row automatically solves all your problems.  Do your research.

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2019, 08:13:43 AM »
I'd get a Honda Fit with 100k+ miles on it. I'm taller than you (6'6) and I feel super comfy, and I've never been short on cargo space. I'm pretty sure that's a cheaper solution than any of the other suggestions in this thread (I got mine with 240k miles on it about a month ago for $2,000).

If you want a little fancier, Toyota Matrix/Pontiac Vibe (same car different branding) also has a great reputation and price/performance ratio.

Do you have kids?

cincystache

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2019, 05:39:48 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'm leaning towards a minivan, either honda or toyota between 2007 and 2010. I think these can easily go 200k miles. I'm finding some with 160k miles for 6,500 or 120k miles for 9,000.

chemistk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2019, 06:05:00 AM »
I, personally, wouldn't pursue the minivan route unless you absolutely need the space. Will you be having more kids in the near future? Are you hauling drywall or appliances frequently? If you can make use of the cargo space, then absolutely look at a van. Be wise with that generation of Honda though - transmission and VCM problems can lurk.

Honestly though, you really should test drive a 2010ish Prius. The cargo space in them is exceptional and despite what many would have you believe - there is no stigma to driving one. The van may get you to 250k but the Prius will easily get to 300k or 400k with minimal maintenance.

This, coming from someone who recently went from a CUV to a Minivan. I love the van - love driving it, love the space (3 kids + long road trips). Would love it if a Prius offered what we need in terms of room.

ApacheStache

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2019, 10:26:31 PM »
I, personally, wouldn't pursue the minivan route unless you absolutely need the space. Will you be having more kids in the near future? Are you hauling drywall or appliances frequently? If you can make use of the cargo space, then absolutely look at a van.

Agreed. When I was a kid, our family's main source of transportation was the city bus and cheap 2 door sedans. We simply couldn't afford anything "nicer" even if we wanted to. And if I don't say so myself, I turned out just fine :) If anything, it taught me to do more with less. Not to mention, many families outside of North America have successfully raised and transported their children just fine for a long time without the use of massive fuel inefficient gas guzzling vans and SUV's. Don't fall into the trap of thinking you need to lug around a bunch of kid shit in your car every day to raise happy and healthy children.

AlotToLearn

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2019, 04:23:10 PM »
Recently picked up a pre owned Camry Hybrid, so far I am loving the 40.5 mpg I am getting. Well worth the investment

getmoneyeatpizza

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2019, 08:41:52 AM »
I, personally, wouldn't pursue the minivan route unless you absolutely need the space. Will you be having more kids in the near future? Are you hauling drywall or appliances frequently? If you can make use of the cargo space, then absolutely look at a van.

Agreed. When I was a kid, our family's main source of transportation was the city bus and cheap 2 door sedans. We simply couldn't afford anything "nicer" even if we wanted to. And if I don't say so myself, I turned out just fine :) If anything, it taught me to do more with less. Not to mention, many families outside of North America have successfully raised and transported their children just fine for a long time without the use of massive fuel inefficient gas guzzling vans and SUV's. Don't fall into the trap of thinking you need to lug around a bunch of kid shit in your car every day to raise happy and healthy children.

In Europe they have incredible fuel efficient 3 row options like the Ford Grand Cmax and the Prius plus. In the US we killed the station wagon with the difference in fuel standards for cars (station wagons) vs light truck (CUVs) combined with our supersize culture. The car industry also killed off the awesome small minivans in 2007 like the Mazda MPV and Dodge Caravan.

cincystache

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2019, 05:48:12 PM »
Thanks for your opinions everyone, I had it narrowed down between a Prius and Odyssey and we just bought the odyssey today. For better or worse we are minivan owners :)

ApacheStache

• Stubble
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2019, 07:41:40 PM »
This isn't meant to rain on your parade but I googled the Odyssey today just to see what the 2019 version looked like and was bombarded with a ton of articles detailing a variety of major recalls that were just announced within the last week. Not sure what year you purchased but it may be worth doing a quick google search on the recalls if your dealership hasn't made you aware of them.

cincystache

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2019, 05:39:05 AM »
This isn't meant to rain on your parade but I googled the Odyssey today just to see what the 2019 version looked like and was bombarded with a ton of articles detailing a variety of major recalls that were just announced within the last week. Not sure what year you purchased but it may be worth doing a quick google search on the recalls if your dealership hasn't made you aware of them.

Thanks @ApacheStache, we bought a 2010 with 100k miles. We aren't ultra mustachians cruising in a tiny hatchback but we are enough so to not buy a brand new van with financing :)