Author Topic: What can I do when I am extremely bored?  (Read 17747 times)

MrD

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
What can I do when I am extremely bored?
« on: April 17, 2013, 08:27:11 PM »
I am 23 and pretty well on my way in terms of mustachianism but I keep feeling bored at night. During the days I work out, road bike, mountain bike, do ropes courses etc. I also like to cook/read, but lately I have been just so bored at night when I can no longer go outside. My girlfriend and I used to go out to lots of dinners and drink a lot more often which is no longer the case.

Does anyone have any ideas on what to do with my free time? Any money making hobbies would be nice, but really anything would do. I am just so damn bored.

englyn

• Bristles
Re: What can I do when I am extremely bored?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 08:30:06 PM »
Join the SCA and you will suddenly have more craft projects you'd like to do than you can poke a stick at :D

MrD

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 08:34:33 PM »
What is the SCA?

CeciliaW

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 08:35:40 PM »
Google is your friend.

englyn

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 08:38:52 PM »
Society for Creative Anachronism, a medieval/renaissance recreation group.

AKA an excuse to dress up in silly clothes, learn swordfighting/archery, attend feasts, make lots of friends, and acquire aforementioned collection of craft projects in order to improve your outfit/armour/feast gear/campsite etcetcetc....

And a metric truckload of fun :D

http://sca.org/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Society_for_Creative_Anachronism

mpbaker22

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 08:46:48 PM »
I am 23 and pretty well on my way in terms of mustachianism but I keep feeling bored at night. During the days I work out, road bike, mountain bike, do ropes courses etc. I also like to cook/read, but lately I have been just so bored at night when I can no longer go outside. My girlfriend and I used to go out to lots of dinners and drink a lot more often which is no longer the case.

Does anyone have any ideas on what to do with my free time? Any money making hobbies would be nice, but really anything would do. I am just so damn bored.

Hmm, I"m also 23, but I don't have this problem.  I have a list of things I want to do that grows faster than I can accomplish it.  For example, at some point I want to brew beer, make my own pasta, change my own oil, ... etc.
But I'm usually work-busy from 7 AM till 4:30 PM, then I work out from 4:30-6:30 depending on preparation time, cool down time, shower time, icing time, etc.  Then I'll cook that night's dinner and the next day's lunch while trying one of the to-do tasks.  I'll check the forums occasionally at night, like tonight, but I mostly am only on here when bored at work.

In short, I guess there are so many productive things you could be doing, you can always learn a new skill.  You just have to get creative about what you do.

snshijuptr

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2013, 09:22:55 PM »
Read a book?

I always like the go to bed early option. As I've gotten older (I'm only 26, but I have a baby which changes your schedule), I have come to appreciate the beauty of early to bed and early to rise. More daytime is so awesome. I am a whole lot more productive and less tempted by tv, internet, and games during the morning rather than the late evening.

shelfins

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2013, 09:25:15 PM »
If you & your girlfriend like to cook (or are interested in learning), you could invite those friends you used to go out to bars w. over to your place for dinner. Or, if you don't want to deal w. cooking, just invite them over for drinks/board games/cards/just to hang out. If you're creatively inclined, you can paint/write/join a band/join a choir/audition for the community theater. If you like to read or listen to podcasts, there's a never-ending supply of those at the library/on the internet. If you like learning new things, you can take free courses on all sorts of stuff online through coursera. If you have netflix, you & your gf can make some popcorn & curl up on the couch & watch a movie.

shelfins

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2013, 09:32:03 PM »
Oh, also, if you live in a city, you should check out meetup.com. They have tons of groups meeting up to do everything imaginable, and a lot of the stuff is in the evenings. Some of it is going out to restaurants and bars, but lots of them are free, and all of those groups are filled w. twenty-somethings. Their might even be a group specifically oriented towards exploring the city for free. Actually, meet-ups aside, if you live in a city, there are probably tons of free concerts/outdoor movie screenings/festivals/what-have-you going on, esp. in the spring & summer. Do a little googling and see if you can find websites that compile this sort of stuff for the city, and then you & your lady can go out on the town for free!

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2013, 09:53:46 PM »
...lately I have been just so bored at night when I can no longer go outside.

Err...  Why can't you go outside at night?  I enjoy it, myself, as long as I'm in a place far from streetlights.  Hiking at night is fun, with one of those LED headlamps, or just following the white tip of my dog's tail.  Cross-country skiing is even better, on a clear night with a good moon or in a light snow with the headlamp.  Or even sitting out in the yard at night, listening to the owls talk - they have quite distinct voices.  Then there's a whole world accessible with simple night vision gear, or a black light...

Hamster

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2013, 10:01:24 PM »
I see why they say youth is wasted on the young.

To be 23 and able to recreate all day long, and with girlfriend--what isn't there to do at night? Read, watch netflix, go for walks, try cooking new recipes, invite friends over to eat or hang out or play board games, practice massage on eachother (get a book), find some inexpensive music venues, learn to play an instrument, do bike maintenance, online courses, online Ted talks, community lectures at colleges, library, etc.

cyclevillian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • cycleville
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2013, 06:01:57 AM »
I like to reference this list when I'm looking for something new to do. Even though I'm not retired, it's still a good list.

http://earlyretirementextreme.com/wiki/index.php?title=Long_list_of_things_to_do_when_you_retire

But I sometimes have the same problem with not having anything to do. My friends are going to some bar with a cover charge late a night, I don't want to sit around watching tv, and you can only host game night or cookouts so many times, and I'm too tired from exercising and running errands throughout the day to do much of anything, but I'm still awake and its only 7pm. I'm going to try and get more involved in my community by going to neighborhood association meetings and joining some bike advocacy groups. Hopefully those things will lead to meeting some interesting people and to productive free time.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 06:08:45 AM by cyclevillian »

I Love Cake

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2013, 08:36:53 AM »
umm, when I was 23 my boyfriend and I were never bored!! Do what comes naturally to 23 year olds! And then have a beer.

MrD

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2013, 11:23:56 AM »
Thanks for all the replies guys I think this will help us out a bunch. Also just want to note that my girlfriend and I are very unusual for 23 year olds. We own a home in a nice development where everyone around us is in their 30s and we have cut back on eating out / drinking for both money savings and weight loss. So most activities for 23 year olds for night time are ruled out.

Mrs WW

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2013, 12:04:11 PM »
I guess someone needs to spell it out: make sex your hobby, it will never get boring (imo).

There you have it!

seanquixote

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2013, 12:17:35 PM »

A guitar will keep your ass busy...

Or any stringed instrument...

-Seanquixote

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2013, 12:50:31 PM »
A quote I came across recently:
"People who say they are bored are boring people. Interesting people can entertain themselves anywhere.  Boring people have to be entertained by others." – Roger Knapp

I don't know how much I agree with it (it's one of those quotes that "sounds good"), but it was said by somebody sometime.

/shrug
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

matchewed

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2013, 01:21:03 PM »

A guitar will keep your ass busy...

Or any stringed instrument...

-Seanquixote

Not sure what you're doing with that guitar to keep your ass busy. ;)

mobilisinmobili

• Stubble
  • Advance daily
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2013, 01:29:53 PM »
...Hmm, I"m also 23, but I don't have this problem.  I have a list of things I want to do that grows faster than I can accomplish it...

Exactly this.

If you have a smart phone, use a to-do list app and enter items in it the moment you think of them.

I have several lists, including: home improvements, songs to buy, books to read, hobby items to action (buy/fix/build), and "bucket list".

A few items on the home improvement list: scour Kijiji/Craigslist/Habitat-re-Store for cheap kitchen cabinet door replacements, buy/install new dimmer for living room, paint hallway, convert ottoman to storage ottoman.

I run out of time before I run of stuff to do.

I to Doit.im for this. There's an app and website availability.

I'm curious where the original poster lives though, that makes a lot of difference.

tuyop

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2013, 01:43:35 PM »
If you & your girlfriend like to cook (or are interested in learning), you could invite those friends you used to go out to bars w. over to your place for dinner. Or, if you don't want to deal w. cooking, just invite them over for drinks/board games/cards/just to hang out. If you're creatively inclined, you can paint/write/join a band/join a choir/audition for the community theater. If you like to read or listen to podcasts, there's a never-ending supply of those at the library/on the internet. If you like learning new things, you can take free courses on all sorts of stuff online through coursera. If you have netflix, you & your gf can make some popcorn & curl up on the couch & watch a movie.

Not to derail the thread, but what's with some people using "&" instead of "and"? It looks really really stupid, you know.

Same with writing w. instead of with.

StarryC

• Bristles
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2013, 01:57:13 PM »
I can't say this is true for the original poster, but I know that when I think I'm bored, what I actually am is unhappy in another way.  I know there are tons of things to do, both pleasant and unpleasant: Is the house perfectly clean?  Is the food you cook the most complex and delicious food you could cook?  I know I could do more paid work, or see my friends more (at my house or theirs, or for a walk), or watch all the great shows an movies I haven't seen yet from the library/netflix/hulu.  I could read books or articles or webcomics!  And, of course, you could always help others by volunteering. 

So, when I feel bored I try to think about what might be making me unhappy or unsatisfied in life. If I'm feeling ineffective as if I don't matter then perhaps doing something with a visible result (sewing, carpentry, yard work) is best, or perhaps I should help someone by volunteering.  If I'm feeling lonely then I should reach out to other people.  If I'm feeling constrained by the budget (i.e. I'm bored because I can't go spend money!) I take an inventory of the possessions I currently have that aren't used weekly and use it!  If I'm feeling unable to focus, then I care for my body by exercising, drinking water, or eating something healthy. 

Starstuff

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2013, 02:15:23 PM »
I can't say this is true for the original poster, but I know that when I think I'm bored, what I actually am is unhappy in another way.  I know there are tons of things to do, both pleasant and unpleasant: Is the house perfectly clean?  Is the food you cook the most complex and delicious food you could cook?  I know I could do more paid work, or see my friends more (at my house or theirs, or for a walk), or watch all the great shows an movies I haven't seen yet from the library/netflix/hulu.  I could read books or articles or webcomics!  And, of course, you could always help others by volunteering. 

So, when I feel bored I try to think about what might be making me unhappy or unsatisfied in life. If I'm feeling ineffective as if I don't matter then perhaps doing something with a visible result (sewing, carpentry, yard work) is best, or perhaps I should help someone by volunteering.  If I'm feeling lonely then I should reach out to other people.  If I'm feeling constrained by the budget (i.e. I'm bored because I can't go spend money!) I take an inventory of the possessions I currently have that aren't used weekly and use it!  If I'm feeling unable to focus, then I care for my body by exercising, drinking water, or eating something healthy.

This, a million times over. Try meditating. I find it helps me clear up unhappiness, even if it doesn't "solve" the problem. Honestly though, if you have that much free time, I think the rest of us might need some ideas on how to get stuff done faster and better. I'm with mpbaker22. By the time I work out, eat and shower, it's bed time.

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2013, 02:41:04 PM »

Not to derail the thread, but what's with some people using "&" instead of "and"? It looks really really stupid, you know.

What are your thoughts on incomplete sentences? Each person has his or her own little shortcuts, that's all.

MountainFlower

• Bristles
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2013, 02:53:35 PM »
umm, when I was 23 my boyfriend and I were never bored!! Do what comes naturally to 23 year olds! And then have a beer.

Or, instead of a beer, have a baby.  Never experience boredom again!  LOL!  Just kidding, just kidding, just kidding! 

tylerherman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2013, 04:23:44 PM »
Stop reading during the day. Use your daylight better and you'll have more to do at night. Make sure to get up with the sunrise.

Maybe find a computer hobby for nights. Learn to code. Start a blog. Start an online business. Troll forums.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2013, 04:33:59 PM »

Wait until they start a sentence with &.

;)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

mobilisinmobili

• Stubble
  • Advance daily
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2013, 04:57:28 PM »

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2013, 05:04:54 PM »

Sorry, but the ampersand is a part of normal English writing, and has been for centuries.  (Why do you think it's on the standard keyboard, anyway?)  It is, IIRC, inherited from Latin shorthand for 'et', hence the use of &c for et cetera

Rather than looking stupid, it just gives the less educated a chance to display their ignorance :-)

AccidentalMiser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2013, 07:16:37 PM »
I've got a suggestion, quit gazing into your navel and get over your boredom.  When I was 23, I was getting out of the Navy and had two sons with one on the way.  However, I am not suggesting you should have children to address your boredom.

If you are bored, why don't you try helping other people.  Call Habitat for Humanity and swing a hammer for a few days.  Rock a few crack babies in the Neonatal ICU.  Go cut a poor old lady's grass.

Whatever you do, just stop complaining about your "extreme boredom" and do something to make your neighborhood a little better.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2013, 07:24:08 PM »
Exactly what my Dad would have said, Accidental Miser. No complainers in our household. Do something about your situation or decide to live with it quietly. Sigh. I miss him!

AlexK

• Bristles
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2013, 10:49:02 PM »
Buy something that's broken for really cheap/free on craigslist, fix it, sell for profit. My specialty is motorcycles and I have made over $100k over the years doing this. Don't use the excuse that you don't know how, nobody does before they try.

Hamster

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2013, 01:10:20 AM »
Rock a few crack babies...
I've rocked a few crack babies in my day...

deltaecho

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2013, 05:08:58 AM »
sorry if this was already mentioned, but do you have a job?  if you do, how about working on improving your knowledge in your field?  or going to school to learn something more challenging?

ace1224

• Bristles
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2013, 06:12:49 AM »
i usually read or nap.  i've mentioned in a previous thread i don't really have any interests and i generally dislike the outdoors.  or you can do what i do sometimes and try new things until you find something that interests you. 
like arebelspy said with the whole boring quote, i'm pretty sure i'm a boring person, so i feel your pain.  my favorite thing in the summer is laying on the beach/by the pool and listening to a book on tape, i can usually combine that with a nap so its an ultimate win/win for me. 

jrhampt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2013, 06:25:33 AM »
Whenever I'm feeling bored, I get another graduate degree.  This fills up all your time if you are also working full time and makes you appreciate how nice it is to have the time to be bored.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2013, 07:05:25 AM »

like arebelspy said with the whole boring quote, i'm pretty sure i'm a boring person

Hah.  Kudos for realizing this.  One can be quite happy like that, if you accept it.  Without that, though, there often is angst (as perhaps is the case in the OP).

shelfins

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2013, 12:52:36 PM »

Sorry, I didn't mean to upset you, tuyop! I always thought ampersands were pretty widely accepted on internet forums. I'll make sure my future posts adhere to Strunk and White. ;)

Sunflower

• Stubble
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2013, 01:25:17 PM »
I knew never to say "I'm bored" as a child because that meant I had to clean the house. My mom always responded "find something to do or sit there quietly and be bored. If you're going to complain about it, I have a list of things to entertain you starting with cleaning the bathroom".

Apparently it rubbed off because when I feel bored I tend to make myself do the dishes/laundry/etc....at least my house is clean even if I'm not having 'fun'?

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2013, 01:49:03 PM »
Sorry, I didn't mean to upset you, tuyop! I always thought ampersands were pretty widely accepted on internet forums. I'll make sure my future posts adhere to Strunk and White. ;)

Err...  Don't you mean "Strunk & White"?  FYI, searching for "Strunk and White" gets about 155K hits, while  "Strunk & White" gets 818K :-)

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2013, 07:07:46 AM »
Sometimes it is fun to add some structure to something you are interested in...for instance, if you are curious about film, try to see all the Best Picture winners or all the nominees of a particular year. I just came across one of those online lists of Top 50 Summer Blockbusters and realized I have not seen some, and others I have not seen for 10-15 years. I think that's one of my summer projects!  Or if you are interested in cooking, pick a cookbook and cook your way through it one recipe at a time. I learned a lot about bread-baking that way one year. A library where I used to go did an Adult Reading Program around Book Bingo where they gave you a card with 25 different categories (an author from Asia, an author whose last name starts with the same letter as yours) and as you checked them off you won prizes.

I do sympathize with the challenge of a neighborhood--I live in a city where if you lived in the family-type neighborhoods you would be a long way from the interesting meet-ups, volunteer opportunities, etc and would have to be pretty self-reliant for your free time.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2013, 08:20:28 AM »
Also just want to note that my girlfriend and I are very unusual for 23 year olds. We own a home in a nice development where everyone around us is in their 30s and we have cut back on eating out / drinking for both money savings and weight loss. So most activities for 23 year olds for night time are ruled out.
I don't get it. Couldn't you just have sex so quietly that your neighbors couldn't hear you?

1e7ksi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2013, 08:34:20 AM »
Try Learning something new with your girlfriend. The Internet is a magical place for this.

http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/160ljs/what_free_stuff_on_the_internet_should_everyone/c7rmgw6

Freda

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2013, 12:14:45 PM »
Do you have a home gym?  Hubby and I work out together almost nightly, and cook together.  By the time that's all done it's time to watch a movie and hit the sack.

clarkai

• Stubble
« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2013, 09:44:31 AM »
Take up a small hobby that either costs little or makes a little money.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!