Author Topic: What Blender Do You Have?  (Read 22743 times)

wealthviahealth

• Stubble
What Blender Do You Have?
« on: April 05, 2015, 06:31:42 PM »
I have been getting really into making healthy ice cream like smoothies with fruits and veggies for meals
and am suddenly realizing the inadequacy of my current low-end blender.

For those who are into this sort of thing, what type of blender/ food processor do you have?
I am very jealous of those I know with Vitamix's but I cant fork over the $300-500 for that.
 I might have to go half way and pick up a Ninja.

IamDavin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: What Blender Do You Have?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2015, 06:42:50 PM »
If you end up changing your mind and getting a Vitamix they have sales once or twice a year from the factory on refurbished units.  Still carries a good warranty.  I can't remember what the price was.  But I figured the value of being able to make my own nut butters, soups, easy wash cycle, long warranty, good performance, solid build, etc  was worth paying more for.

I've had it for about 2 years now (refurbished) and no issues.  Its like a jet ski motor on a blender haha
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 07:26:12 PM by IamDavin »

RH

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2015, 07:00:27 PM »
We have a Vitamix. I figured one blender that costs $500 and lasts 20+ years is cheaper than 40 $50 blenders over the same time period. If it helps you eat healthy, $500 is a bargain compared to a doctors visits/medications/buying $7 smoothies. If people get you gifts throughout the year, ask them for Amazon gift cards...that can help offset the cost. Enjoy those green smoothies!

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2015, 07:14:09 PM »
Oster with a glass pitcher, which I like a lot, but it's a newer one with touchpad "buttons" which will give out (bought for us, unsolicited, by my spendy mother in law). So I've kept my old Oster in a cabinet, manual push buttons that should last. I'll keep the glass pitcher, though.

Mistah Cash Lion

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2015, 07:28:47 PM »
I have a Vitamix too.  I don't mind spending more on quality items that last.  However, my Vitamix was bought for me as a present a few years ago so it didn't cost me anything. 

joleran

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2015, 07:30:31 PM »
We have a Vitamix. I figured one blender that costs $500 and lasts 20+ years is cheaper than 40 $50 blenders over the same time period. If it helps you eat healthy, $500 is a bargain compared to a doctors visits/medications/buying $7 smoothies. If people get you gifts throughout the year, ask them for Amazon gift cards...that can help offset the cost. Enjoy those green smoothies!

That's nice, if you've gone a couple of years and find you burn out two blenders a year, or that $50 blenders are entirely unsuitable for your use cases.  Myself, I've got a $60 Juiceman? (not sure on brand) stick blender that has lasted me four years so far.  Eating healthy and requiring food to be blended doesn't seem to coincide, but I could be out of date on nutrition.

aceyou

• Handlebar Stache
    • Life is Good - Aceyou's Journal
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2015, 07:32:18 PM »
Ah, two of my favorite subjects.  I have two blenders, a ninja and a vitamix.

Vitamix
Cost - 200 (bought used on craigslist)
Pros - If you like things that are amazing in every way, you might like this.  Even on the low settings, it still destroys everything in it's path, plus it's pretty quiet.  I keep this one at home on my counter and use it nearly every day for either a smoothie, latte, or something else that sounds fun.
Cons - None, it's amazing.

Ninja
Cost - 60 (bought used on craigslist)
Pros - The one I bought also comes with two single serve containers.  I have this blender at school.  Every day I fill the container with fresh strawberries and blueberries that I picked over the summer, fire it up, and 60 seconds later I'm walking into my classroom with a smoothie for breakfast.  It's how I start every day. 
Cons - For heavy duty blending, it is not nearly as nice.  The blade for the big container is huge and a pain to clean.  It doesn't do a good job with green smoothies, the greens come out course.  Also, mine is really loud....It's in the copy room and occasionally teachers run in worried as I blend because they think the copier is breaking down:)  Now most of them know it's just me making my morning smoothie.

Once I knew these were the machines I wanted, I searched craigslist for a few months and just waited until they came up at a price that I knew I could resell them for if I didn't use them as much as I thought. 

MountainBeard

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2015, 07:35:19 PM »
Ninja, which we got at Costco for ~$120 with a bunch of accessories.  Its worked quite well for everything we've thrown at it.  (Just made an espresso, banana, pb, chocolate, and soy smoothie this morning with it.)

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2015, 07:40:56 PM »

+1 My original Vitamix is still going strong after 14 years of heavy use (large family).

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2015, 09:01:05 PM »
Another Vitamix here.  I just went for it and never looked back.  It is worth it to me to know that this thing will probably outlive me. 

NV Teacher

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2015, 09:51:57 PM »
I have a Vitamix and my sister bought the Ninja.  In my opinion the Vitamix is by far a better machine.  I don't like chunks in my smoothie and the Vitamix pulverizes everything even lemon and orange seeds. 

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2015, 09:58:44 PM »
As a counterpoint to the Vitamix peeps, I have a Blendtec.  I think Costco puts them on sale for $300ish these days, with an 8 year complete warranty.  Mine is about 3 years old and it's got over 1,000 cycles on it. Worth every penny, IMO, since I use it to make smoothies, green soup, coconut butter, pate, BBQ sauce (today), mayo, hot sauce, ketchup, fruit butters, chili powder, pesto, and probably lots of other things I've forgetting right now.

I don't doubt that a heavy user could burn out a lesser blender every few months.  I remember halving a $20 Betty Crocker blender in college that went up in smoke blending YOGURT.  After that I went to a Cuisinart, but it had nothing on the Blendtec for versatility, and was a pain to clean.  If the Ninja has an integrated blade like a Vitamix or Blendtec, it would probably be pretty good.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2015, 10:08:50 PM »
Hi would concur with Horsepoor on the Blentec ... I have a friend who has had hers almost as long as I"ve had my Vitamix and she loves hers too!

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2015, 04:01:53 AM »
$30 dishwasher safe stick blender.

Perfect for smoothies, soups, curries etc, and you're not bound to a specific container.

Mrs. PoP

• Bristles
    • Planting Our Pennies
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2015, 04:56:27 AM »
I have this set that I use for smoothies mostly.  It's great if you want something compact, easy to clean, with lots of to-go containers.  Even better that it tends to go on sale a lot.  I got mine for $35 about 5.5 years ago and use it on average about once per day. 
http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-Blending-Chopping-CPB-300-15-Piece/dp/B003YLEXBO

It won't do anything hard core like nut butters, though it will do a nice smooth hummus.  My coworkers liked mine so much we got one for the office.  Now 3 of us use that one pretty regularly there and haven't had any wear issues in the couple of years it's been there (though one colleague likes her smoothies so thick it sounds like it's straining the motor sometimes). 

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2015, 05:12:46 AM »
I had a hand held stick blender that finally died last year after 20 years of service :-(  I haven't replaced it yet.  I'm trying to see if I really need it.

Duchess of Stratosphear

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2015, 07:01:16 AM »
I also have a Vitamix. It hurt to purchase it even though I traded an old one in and used some gift money to cover part of it, but I've used it nearly everyday since I got it, so I probably would have already worn out a cheap one. I went with a refurbished 6000 (I think). It has very basic easy controls with presets for soups, smoothies, and frozen desserts. I have no regrets, and I almost always have buyer's remorse.

chicagomeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2015, 07:07:54 AM »
I literally have a $14 blender from Aldi, so I'm posting here to see what others think, as it will obviously die eventually (probably sooner than later...)

NumberCruncher

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2015, 07:26:42 AM »
For a while, I was getting by with a Cuisinart immersion blender that promptly died after the warranty period. Pretty upset about that, actually, since it was used pretty infrequently.

Been thinking about getting a blender for a while...vitamix is starting to look appealing...

Gumbo1978

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2015, 07:47:12 AM »
I took a cooking class at a community college nearby.  My wife had been wanting a Vitamix for years and I thought it was crazy to spend that kind of $ making smoothies.  Once I saw the Vitamix in action for meal prep, I was sold.  Bought a refurbished one directly from Vitamix and have been very happy with it.  Comes with a great book of recipes and we get a lot more use out of it than just smoothies.  My in-laws have the Ninja which I think is perfectly adequate for smoothies, just not everything else.

Able was I ERE

• Stubble
    • FIREhub.eu
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2015, 08:18:00 AM »
An Osterizer with push buttons.  The blender is very repairable, with parts easily available on Ebay. 

lise

« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2015, 08:35:31 AM »
Another vote Vitamix.
So much smoother than other blenders I've experienced. 

thurston howell iv

• Bristles
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2015, 08:43:45 AM »
Blend Tec!  Hands down best blender ever.
DW's mother has 2 of them. Wanted me to buy one at $400. I said no-until I saw the demo.
I can't say enough good things about the blend tec. My parents purchased one and love it. I told a friend and his family purchased 3 of them.
It's THAT good. I have over 1700 uses on mine and it's still going strong with the 7 year warranty.

I had a small issue with the jar and they sent me a new one with zero hassle!

I can blend anything with this machine and use it on a regular basis.
Our cheap blenders could not compete with this.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2015, 09:38:38 AM »
Blend Tec!  Hands down best blender ever.
DW's mother has 2 of them. Wanted me to buy one at $400. I said no-until I saw the demo.
I can't say enough good things about the blend tec. My parents purchased one and love it. I told a friend and his family purchased 3 of them.
It's THAT good. I have over 1700 uses on mine and it's still going strong with the 7 year warranty.

I had a small issue with the jar and they sent me a new one with zero hassle!

I can blend anything with this machine and use it on a regular basis.
Our cheap blenders could not compete with this.

My dad and is pretty frugal and minimalist, but he ran out and bought a Blendtec after visiting and using mine.  I never in my life expected to see my dad spend $300 on a blender!

Edited for stupid phone-posting errors.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 09:44:09 PM by horsepoor »

RunHappy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2015, 10:14:15 AM »
Ninja!  I love it.  I'd had my eye on one for a whil .  My family decided they were tired of me talking about it and pitched in for one ony birthday.  Best present ever!

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2015, 10:21:57 AM »
Got a great deal on a Ninja (just under $80 for the BL660 blender system). It's very nice and the "single-serve" blender cups work very well. I think they work better than the larger pitcher itself especially for smoothies. I agree that with blenders you get what you pay for, and that a Vitamix or Blendtec would probably do a much better job for really blending stuff in general. It seems Blendtec offers more options for making it 'easier' to get the type of consistency you want (but it seems like there's a learning curve to pick up on). Vitamix seems to just blend the **** out of anything you put into it, to the point that it can either be a fine dust or puree. I don't think the Ninja can really match up to either one at the end of the day. But for finely pureed stuff, the single-serve cups might get you close.

Considering how much I spent on the Ninja, I'm pretty happy though. And since we don't blend all that often it's fine. I usually make smoothies in the single-serve cups and hardly ever use the pitcher. We did make cauliflower soup the other night and used the pitcher - it turned out fairly well but I still think a Vitamix or Blendtec would have made it even creamier.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2015, 10:54:51 AM »
I have a BlendTec (picked up a refurb w/7yr warranty from BlendTec directly for ~$250). It's built like a tank. Splined steel drive, etc. SOOOO much better than any other blender I've owned (they have been cheap ones).

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2015, 11:21:44 AM »
As a counterpoint to the Vitamix peeps, I have a Blendtec.  I think Costco puts them on sale for $300ish these days, with an 8 year complete warranty.  Mine is about 3 years old and it's got over 1,000 cycles on it. Worth every penny, IMO, since I use it to make smoothies, green soup, coconut butter, pate, BBQ sauce (today), mayo, hot sauce, ketchup, fruit butters, chili powder, pesto, and probably lots of other things I've forgetting right now.

I don't doubt that a heavy user could burn out a lesser blender every few months.  I remember halving a $20 Betty Crocker blender in college that went up in smoke blending YOGURT.  After that I went to a Cuisinart, but it had nothing on the Blendtec for versatility, and was a pain to clean.  If the Ninja has an integrated blade like a Vitamix or Blendtec, it would probably be pretty good.
Yep, this is what I have, use it at least once a day.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2015, 11:39:03 AM »
I have been getting really into making healthy ice cream like smoothies with fruits and veggies for meals

It's a common misconception that smoothies are healthy. If you pulverize the plants, then you're essentially drinking flavored sugar water with some vitamins in it. That's not too different from Coke + vitamins. It's much better to eat the fruits and vegetables whole. That way the sugars are locked up inside the plant fibers and get released much more slowly into your blood stream over time as your system digests and breaks down the fibers.

tomk2

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2015, 11:46:57 AM »
I have a Ninja which suits me well. My only complaint is that I wish the blades got a little bit lower in the chamber, I'm careful now with my order of additions to get the best results. Fun fact: Bed Bath and Beyond will replace them with no questions asked if it breaks down on you. So who needs a Mfg Warranty?

If you're truly looking for a high-end unit, this is a rather thorough write-up, though it sounds like from previous commenters that the blenders can be had cheaper than purchasing on Amazon.
http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/12/high-end-blender-test-equipment-breville-vitamix-blendtec-review.html

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2015, 12:06:29 PM »
Vitamix. Love it. Veggie smoothies sometimes. (Like an above poster, I like my fruits and veggies whole--but not always.) Making purees out of chunky soups. Quick eggnog breakfasts. Milkshakes sometimes--especially with berries.

I bought it only because we were bringing an elderly relative out of the hospital on a pureed diet--but am amazed by the quality, versatility, ease of clean-up…expensive, but justifiable, I think, as a Buy-It-For-Life kind of purchase.

I had an inexpensive blender for 30 years, but seldom used it. The Vitamix is so useful that I use it constantly.

LiveLean

• Pencil Stache
    • ToLiveLean
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2015, 02:13:55 PM »
+1 for Blendtec. We have a weekly beach rental property/vacation home that we spent a week at last week. We usually drive the 800 miles to get there and I forgot the Blendtec, which I use every day. So I used the $20 Oster we keep for tenants. It's hard to believe these both could be considered "blenders." The Blendtec is more of a home appliance. The counter on mine is over 3,000 since I got it in October 2006. Shows no signs of slowing down. I can't think of any purchase that has provided better value. That's 10 cents a use and I imagine I'll get another few thousand uses out of it.

Everyone says great things about the Vitamix and they might be right. But when I see the Vitamix demo guy at Costco, I'm tempted to grab a Blendtec, take it out of the box, plug it in and say, "Let's go, Dude." The next time there's a big enough audience, I''m going to do it. Heck, I need a BlendTec for my second home. Plus I can always return it to Costco. (I'm trying to find one on Craigslist.)

P.S. Piece of crap Oster, just nine months old, broke on me while we were there.

LiveLean

• Pencil Stache
    • ToLiveLean
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2015, 05:38:46 PM »
+1 Blendtec.  Look for deals on these at Costco.  I think mine was built with jet engine parts because it sounds like it's about to take off.

Whatever machine you end up with, try adding a 1/2 avacado (not the pit) to your smoothie.  Makes it taste pro!

Agreed. I do just that, Mr. TM. They are noisy, the price of horsepower, though I'm told the new ones are more quiet than my 2006 model.

Doulos

• Stubble
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2015, 06:33:12 PM »
Vitamix++
It is so powerful it would make Tim "The Toolman" Taylor happy.
It should be labeled "Binford Blender".

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2015, 06:59:19 PM »
Magic Bullet.

IamDavin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2015, 07:56:53 PM »
Thought I would add..

Jacob of ERE talks about this in his book.  Page 120.  He basically recommends building up an inventory of high quality items like the Vitamix due to them lasting 10 times longer and not needing to replace it.  Thinking of it as inflation proof savings. 

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2015, 08:01:35 PM »
We have a Vitamix. I figured one blender that costs $500 and lasts 20+ years is cheaper than 40 $50 blenders over the same time period.

That seems like an excessive amount of blenders.  I'd figure a $50 one would last more than six months.

Cinder

• Bristles
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2015, 08:50:37 PM »
I use this blender!

http://www.blender.org/

Mostly kidding ;)

Zacyra

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2018, 01:34:16 AM »
Vitamix 6300.

I know, I know. People told me for years to get the Vitamix and I shrugged them off due to price and wondered if I would become cult-like like them with their affection towards an appliance. Plus, I really only used my blender once in a great while.

Then over Christmas I wanted to start using up veggies and fruit since I participate in a co-op and always have extra produce left over. I actually wanted a juicer, but one of my BFFs has a juicer and vitamix and just kept pushing Vitamix to keep the fiber and nutrients. I told her I have a blender, and she said "it is so much more than a blender". I shrugged her off.

Then I was at Costco and just bought it. Best investment. I have literally used it every single day at least once that I am home and my Boyfriend uses it all the time also. The 6300 model has setting where you turn it to "smoothie" or "soup" or "Ice cream" etc and walk away (as oppossed to running it at setting 1 for 20 seconds then slowly increasing it to setting 5 for 40 seconds and then running it to setting 10 for 3 minutes, for example). I didn't think I needed to pay extra for that feature, but am SO GLAD I did.

The reason I rarely used my blender was clean up was a pain. Had to unscrew the bottom, take the blade out and then take the gasket out and wash all individually, plus the container and lid. The Vitamix is so easy, no taking anything apart.

My blender would also get "stuck" and I had to turn it off and stir it. My vitamix https://thehomedweller.com/best-blender-under-100/ rarely ever gets stuck and the few times it has, it comes with a tamper you use while the unit is still running.

I know my girlfriend would love it, but she hasn't bought one yet. She asks if I get sick of eating pureed food. I love smoothies and drink them anyway, but it also makes peanut butter (or other nut butters), hummus, salsa, soup, chunky soup, acts as food processor, sorbet, ice cream, whipped cream, so it isn't just pureed food.

Also, like one poster said - so easy to add in hidden veggies. My boyfriend, who is anti-veggie, has smoothies with spinach, romaine, kale, carrots, tomatoes, etc and doesn't even know it.

There are probably many other less expensive mixers out there, but this is just so versatile and I was able to get rid of my other blender, food processor, immersion blender, hand mixer and just keep this one piece. Pricey, but if you can swing it, I highly recommend it.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2018, 02:17:48 AM »
No no no no no Not the Vitamix again.

Aaaaaaaggh. The forum cannot handle this one more time.

kei te pai

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2018, 03:09:57 AM »
Maybe if we are lucky The Beatles might come back and tell us about theirs!

YoungGranny

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2018, 06:16:30 AM »
I gotta throw in my vote for the Breville Boss - I probably never would have spent that much money on a blender myself but after getting one as a gift it really, really does rock. I've used Vitamixes and Blendtecs but nothing compares to my Breville. It's also $269 on amazon which is much less than the $450 for comparable blendtec/vitamix models.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2018, 07:28:53 AM »

It was free as it was given to me when I got out of university by my girlfriend's (later wife's) parents . . . who had been using it for 20 years prior.  We've had no problems making a couple smoothies a week on it for 13 years.  To avoid burning out the motor it does require that you're not an idiot though . . . I let some olive oil soak into the part that spins the blades every 5 - 10 uses, otherwise it won't spin well and the motor starts to make a burning out smell.  Other than that it's pretty indestructible and works perfectly as a blender.

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2018, 07:35:49 AM »
We have a Vitamix. I figured one blender that costs $500 and lasts 20+ years is cheaper than 40 $50 blenders over the same time period.

That seems like an excessive amount of blenders.  I'd figure a $50 one would last more than six months.

For the last decade I have been using a blender that came as a package deal with my wife - no idea how long she had it before I came along, but it was a $40 Hamilton Beech.  Eventually the base got deformed from a few too many times through the dishwasher, which made it leak, and we replaced it with a $50 Oster with an all metal drive.  I seriously doubt I'm going to use $500 worth of blenders in my lifetime at my current rate.  And I use it 3-5x a week!

My other reason for getting the Oster is that "standard" blenders can take regular mouth mason jars as blender jars, while the Vitamix and Blendtec can't.  So I can put all the ingredients for a smoothie in a jar, attached the blender base and blade, and voila, smoothie in a jar.

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2018, 08:25:39 AM »
This forum is the only reason I'm even thinking of getting a Vitamix, thanks guys. My friend just got one with a Costco deal and is raving about it, and admittedly it made some pretty tasty watermelon juice. Right now I have a regular old blender, it works alright but my pineapple smoothie is stringy so I probably should spend an extra $600 for that smooth drinking experience..

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #45 on: July 24, 2018, 08:53:00 AM »
This forum is the only reason I'm even thinking of getting a Vitamix, thanks guys. My friend just got one with a Costco deal and is raving about it, and admittedly it made some pretty tasty watermelon juice. Right now I have a regular old blender, it works alright but my pineapple smoothie is stringy so I probably should spend an extra $600 for that smooth drinking experience..

Vitamixes don't get you the best experience.  For the smoothest drinking experience I hire a servant to pre-chew all the fruit going into my smoothie, swallow it and digests it in his tummy for a while.  Then he regurgitates it into my mouth while I lay on my fainting couch.  It reduces the work my stomach has to do and is so much smoother than that crap you get from a Vitamix.  So very worth it.

Side benefit - servant takes care of my colostomy bags that I got installed, because who can bother getting up to pee/poop anymore amirite people???

Yeah, it's six grand a month for this service . . . but #YOLO!!!!!11111.

Barbaebigode

• Stubble
« Reply #46 on: July 24, 2018, 12:08:04 PM »
A ninja. My mother gifted it to us. It doesn't deal very well with too much frozen stuff at once, but it's manageable. We use it everyday, with no plans of ever buying an expensive blender.

Barbaebigode

• Stubble
« Reply #47 on: July 24, 2018, 12:11:04 PM »

It's a common misconception that smoothies are healthy. If you pulverize the plants, then you're essentially drinking flavored sugar water with some vitamins in it. That's not too different from Coke + vitamins. It's much better to eat the fruits and vegetables whole. That way the sugars are locked up inside the plant fibers and get released much more slowly into your blood stream over time as your system digests and breaks down the fibers.

I think that only happens if you strain your smoothie.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #48 on: July 24, 2018, 12:17:21 PM »
I have a BlendTec. It's great.

NorCal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #49 on: July 24, 2018, 12:26:46 PM »
Take a look at the Oster brand as well.  We have one for smoothies and it works great.  It's also much less expensive than the Vitamix.  I think we paid $60-$70 for it new on Amazon, and it does everything the SuperCustomMegaAwesomePricey blenders will do.