Author Topic: What Blender Do You Have?  (Read 22738 times)

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
Re: What Blender Do You Have?
« Reply #50 on: July 24, 2018, 12:48:28 PM »
I'm on my 3rd blender in 40 years - one stopped working, one got dropped and broken, and my current very nice Oster was $5 at the ReStore. It still had all the papers stuck in it, so it had never been used.

Chippewa

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #51 on: July 24, 2018, 12:53:15 PM »
Nutribullet Rx. It’s awesome.

I even returned my Vitamix purchase for it.

FoundPeace

• Stubble
« Reply #52 on: July 24, 2018, 01:40:21 PM »
I have always made a lot of smoothies and I really wanted a blendtec or a vitamix for about 10 years. I went through 3 blenders and a few extra parts (maybe $60 total for them) during that time. I don’t think I would have ever bought one, but my mom found a refurbished one online for $150 and got it for me as a gift. I love it and would probably be willing to even pay $100-$200 for a high end blender like the blendtec or vitamix. I don’t think it is worth more than that though.

For me the main reasons the blendtec is better than a vitamix are that it is much cheaper, it fits under the kitchen cabinets, and the blades aren’t sharp (this makes it less hazardous to clean).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #53 on: July 24, 2018, 02:55:46 PM »

It was free as it was given to me when I got out of university by my girlfriend's (later wife's) parents . . . who had been using it for 20 years prior.  We've had no problems making a couple smoothies a week on it for 13 years.  To avoid burning out the motor it does require that you're not an idiot though . . . I let some olive oil soak into the part that spins the blades every 5 - 10 uses, otherwise it won't spin well and the motor starts to make a burning out smell.  Other than that it's pretty indestructible and works perfectly as a blender.

That's virtually identical to the push-button Oster I mentioned two years ago when this thread was new (Harvest Gold and all). I have it in a cupboard for when the fancy touchpad one my MIL bought us dies. The "buttons" on the new one are getting a bit touchy as I predicted, so the old base will likely come back out sometime in the next year or so. As a bonus, it will match my Harvest Gold stove. I'm happy to report I've not dropped and broken the glass pitcher on the new one (yet), but if I do I have the original plastic one.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #54 on: July 24, 2018, 03:00:22 PM »
What forum am I on again?

Some blogs become sales pitches.  Once he/she gets enough readers/followers, the blog owner takes cash payments or free merchandise to talk about a product or service, as an "influencer" with a niche market.  Advertisers pay good money to have a trusted person become a brand rep to a curated community of people interested in their particular type of product.  It's why fashion blogs always recommend specific items (they're getting a cut), garden blogs recommend a particular seed company (they're getting a cut) and financial blogs recommend certain credit cards over others (they're getting a cut).  Sometimes the author genuinely likes the product, but that doesn't change the fact that they're selling out.

I hate it.  The internet was supposed to be a democratizing force, a place where the free market (of ideas AND stuff) could flourish without the baggage of corporate-controlled old media.  So it pains me to see a community like this one, so ardently helpful, devolve into just another "keeping up with the Jonses" excuse to recommend silly overpriced consumer goods.  "You can be cool if you buy this product!"  "A blender changed my life!"  "Spending money is the secret to happiness!"

Screw that noise.  I don't want to hear about your consumer crap.  I do not look up to you because you overpaid for a kitchen appliance.  Your car does not make you cool, and your clothes are not interesting.  Your wanton spending, which you flaunt like a badge of honor, is really just a boat anchor around your neck.  You're ruining your life, and then bragging about it.

And most of you aren't even profiting by selling out!  I'm sure  some of you (likely the ones with low post counts and exuberant stories of life-changing blenders) are paid actors, sent out into the wild internet to promote a product (who remembers everest wealth management?), but the rest of you are just playing along.  It makes me think that we WANT a bullshit consumerist lifestyle, that we crave positive feedback for our poor life choices, that we prefer a corporate-controlled buy buy buy narrative to any form of authenticity.  Why would you do that?  Why would you come to a forum about simplifying your life, buying less stuff, finding meaning in doing things the hard way, and spending less money, and then brag about how you spent a ridiculous amount of money to add a second version of an appliance you already own, that does all if the work for you and generates extra waste and pollution?  The fancy blender is literally everything that the MMM site stands against, everything that is wrong with modern America, and the very reason this site, and this forum, exist.

You might as well go to a vegan/vegetarian forum and brag about your veal burger recipe.  Either you're just trolling, or you've completely missed the whole point.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #55 on: July 24, 2018, 06:18:30 PM »

It was free as it was given to me when I got out of university by my girlfriend's (later wife's) parents . . . who had been using it for 20 years prior.  We've had no problems making a couple smoothies a week on it for 13 years.  To avoid burning out the motor it does require that you're not an idiot though . . . I let some olive oil soak into the part that spins the blades every 5 - 10 uses, otherwise it won't spin well and the motor starts to make a burning out smell.  Other than that it's pretty indestructible and works perfectly as a blender.

That's virtually identical to the push-button Oster I mentioned two years ago when this thread was new (Harvest Gold and all). I have it in a cupboard for when the fancy touchpad one my MIL bought us dies. The "buttons" on the new one are getting a bit touchy as I predicted, so the old base will likely come back out sometime in the next year or so. As a bonus, it will match my Harvest Gold stove. I'm happy to report I've not dropped and broken the glass pitcher on the new one (yet), but if I do I have the original plastic one.

I actually thought that the blender was originally white, and it had just yellowed with age.  People actually bought shit that was that colour???

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #56 on: July 24, 2018, 07:58:21 PM »

I actually thought that the blender was originally white, and it had just yellowed with age.  People actually bought shit that was that colour???

Oh, my sweet summer child.

Harvest Gold-o-rama

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #57 on: July 25, 2018, 06:47:42 AM »
I do not for a minute believe that blenders are everything that's wrong with America, for the record.

I also don't understand why people drink so many smoothies. What's wrong with actual food that you chew?

FrugalFisherman10

• Bristles
    • Fly Fishing Photo Project
« Reply #58 on: July 25, 2018, 08:19:30 AM »
Eating healthy and requiring food to be blended doesn't seem to coincide, but I could be out of date on nutrition.
Preach! You're not out of date

That being said, I do like a nice cold smoothie now and then and I use one of my old roommates single serve type Magic Bullet knock offs. It's called "Bella". I think you buy them at Kohls. For some reason we have two of them (one is brand new unused under the counter.) I think that was because he couldn't find a way to find replacement plastic cups after the old ones cracked or broke. So he bought another smoothie and we started using the new cups. Anyway, they're cheap and they work great for a single serving!

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #59 on: July 25, 2018, 08:58:40 AM »

Some blogs become sales pitches.  Once he/she gets enough readers/followers, the blog owner takes cash payments or free merchandise to talk about a product or service, as an "influencer" with a niche market.  Advertisers pay good money to have a trusted person become a brand rep to a curated community of people interested in their particular type of product.  It's why fashion blogs always recommend specific items (they're getting a cut), garden blogs recommend a particular seed company (they're getting a cut) and financial blogs recommend certain credit cards over others (they're getting a cut).  Sometimes the author genuinely likes the product, but that doesn't change the fact that they're selling out.

I hate it.  The internet was supposed to be a democratizing force, a place where the free market (of ideas AND stuff) could flourish without the baggage of corporate-controlled old media.  So it pains me to see a community like this one, so ardently helpful, devolve into just another "keeping up with the Jonses" excuse to recommend silly overpriced consumer goods.  "You can be cool if you buy this product!"  "A blender changed my life!"  "Spending money is the secret to happiness!"

Screw that noise.  I don't want to hear about your consumer crap.  I do not look up to you because you overpaid for a kitchen appliance.  Your car does not make you cool, and your clothes are not interesting.  Your wanton spending, which you flaunt like a badge of honor, is really just a boat anchor around your neck.  You're ruining your life, and then bragging about it.

And most of you aren't even profiting by selling out!  I'm sure  some of you (likely the ones with low post counts and exuberant stories of life-changing blenders) are paid actors, sent out into the wild internet to promote a product (who remembers everest wealth management?), but the rest of you are just playing along.  It makes me think that we WANT a bullshit consumerist lifestyle, that we crave positive feedback for our poor life choices, that we prefer a corporate-controlled buy buy buy narrative to any form of authenticity.  Why would you do that?  Why would you come to a forum about simplifying your life, buying less stuff, finding meaning in doing things the hard way, and spending less money, and then brag about how you spent a ridiculous amount of money to add a second version of an appliance you already own, that does all if the work for you and generates extra waste and pollution?  The fancy blender is literally everything that the MMM site stands against, everything that is wrong with modern America, and the very reason this site, and this forum, exist.

You might as well go to a vegan/vegetarian forum and brag about your veal burger recipe.  Either you're just trolling, or you've completely missed the whole point.

u mad bro?

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #60 on: July 25, 2018, 09:04:25 AM »
I have a Hamilton Beach full-size blender that I bought for $14 at K-Mart nine years ago. I definitely overspent, because I could have gotten a used one for $5 at Goodwill. The blender is fantastic, especially for making my protein shake smoothies.

I also have a second single-serving sized blender that I got for free when I opened a bank account. It's also a Hamilton Beach. I tend to alternate between the two blenders, so I can get two blends at once when making meals. It's a good system.

It's really easy to get parts for these blenders online too. I've never needed to repair them but it's good to know.

I feel bad for all the people who spend hundreds of dollars on expensive solutions to simple needs.

DreamFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #61 on: July 25, 2018, 09:00:16 PM »

I have a Proctor Silex blender.   I'm thinking it's 10 to 15 years old, and I most likely got it at Walmart or Kmart.  I'm pretty sure it was about $20.  I haven't had any problems with it.

gerardc

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #62 on: July 25, 2018, 09:10:36 PM »
Why do you need things to be blended? Can't you just eat the chunks? Tastes even better IMO.

You're basically paying a machine to chew food for you, so you don't have to. Seems lazy to me. And that's only for a basic blender... the luxury ones... I can't even

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #63 on: July 25, 2018, 09:38:08 PM »
Why do you need things to be blended? Can't you just eat the chunks? Tastes even better IMO.

You're basically paying a machine to chew food for you, so you don't have to. Seems lazy to me. And that's only for a basic blender... the luxury ones... I can't even

Try making a frozen mixed drink without a blender..

gerardc

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #64 on: July 25, 2018, 10:57:42 PM »

Just did this actually. Frozen blueberries + water + peanut butter. Delicious. Everything you eat doesn't need to be in pre-digested form

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #65 on: July 25, 2018, 11:17:07 PM »
For myself I have a $50 Ninja blender (the old school type with the top motor and various cup sizes and attachments). I bought it 10 years ago and use it daily for lots of thing but mostly smoothies and chopping veggies very fine. I luvs it. As a lazy mostly-raw food vegan I LUVS it skool much. No Vitamix for me. Don't want a blender that costs more than my car.

That's what I have, received as a gift. It can make hummus and smoothies and dice onions.  I also have an inherited steel and glass blender that probably weighs 20 pounds and has two speeds: on and off. It still works but tends to overheat.

BookLoverL

• Bristles
« Reply #66 on: July 26, 2018, 12:44:28 AM »
So, I don't know anything about types of blenders. But that's because the number of times I've decided to cook something that would need a blender is... 0.

Seriously, what do all you people use them for? It must be something that's different about typical US cuisine compared to typical UK cuisine...

If I want fruit/veg I either eat it raw, or (for veg) cook it in a steamer to go with my dinner. If I want a drink, I drink water, mostly.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #67 on: July 26, 2018, 05:18:30 AM »
So, I don't know anything about types of blenders. But that's because the number of times I've decided to cook something that would need a blender is... 0.

Seriously, what do all you people use them for? It must be something that's different about typical US cuisine compared to typical UK cuisine...

If I want fruit/veg I either eat it raw, or (for veg) cook it in a steamer to go with my dinner. If I want a drink, I drink water, mostly.

A blender gets a somewhat finer puree than a food processor will, so it makes better pesto.
A blender is great when you are at the homemade babyfood stage of parenting.

And when my kids were little, we regularly made a knock off Orange Julius that they loved.

But it does seem like most people are making smoothies, causing me to think there has been some sort of horrible dental crisis.

(After some unfortunate experiences blending hot soup, I now use an immersion blender, but a Real Blender does a somewhat better job, just more dangerous.)

Also - homemade mayo! And quick hollandaise! Yummy stuff...
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 09:33:51 AM by Cranky »

DreamFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #68 on: July 26, 2018, 05:50:49 AM »

It's baffling that anyone would be confused about the use of blenders.  I mean, "hello..."

And I'm pretty sure that most people enjoying delicious smoothies have fine teeth.

Case

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #69 on: July 26, 2018, 06:03:21 AM »

This wins post of the year.  Thank you Sol for reminding the forum of its own vast hypocrisy.  Unfortunately, a good chunk of the forum is not frugal at all.... i dont know if it has been downgrading with time, but it seems that way.

On a side note, my post on robotic vacuums that occasionally resurfaces.... yea, it’s a bit hypocritical.  I bought it looking to only save time, and went for the cheapest one i could find, since the technology appears to be at the crossing point (consumer eye candy vs useful device).  It was pretty useful in my house at the time.  Now that i am in an apartment, it is less useful.  The reeason is that it gets stuck too often because the apartment is smaller and therefore has moreo chokepoints to navigate.

DreamFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #70 on: July 26, 2018, 06:25:19 AM »

OK.  Now back to the topic.  Who else has a blender that they want to tell us about???

Back in 1986, I bought an Osterizer blender for $30 (IIRC) for my parents as a gift.  It quit working after a few years and emitted a burning smell.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #71 on: July 26, 2018, 07:52:31 AM »

OK.  Now back to the topic.  Who else has a blender that they want to tell us about???

Back in 1986, I bought an Osterizer blender for $30 (IIRC) for my parents as a gift.  It quit working after a few years and emitted a burning smell.

Did you remember to oil the spinny part under the blade?  They absolutely will rust there and then burn out the motor because of increased friction if you don't maintain them.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #72 on: July 26, 2018, 08:29:45 AM »

Just did this actually. Frozen blueberries + water + peanut butter. Delicious. Everything you eat doesn't need to be in pre-digested form

Frozen mixed drink as in something blended with ice.  If you want to chew your drinks, more power to you. I have a different word for that and it's "food."

BookLoverL

• Bristles
« Reply #73 on: July 26, 2018, 10:27:31 AM »

It's baffling that anyone would be confused about the use of blenders.  I mean, "hello..."

And I'm pretty sure that most people enjoying delicious smoothies have fine teeth.

Well, I don't cook with a blender, and my immediate family never cooks with a blender, and I've never seen any of my friends cook with a blender, so... ;)

Frozen mixed drink as in something blended with ice.  If you want to chew your drinks, more power to you. I have a different word for that and it's "food."

Surely to make a drink that is cold, you just pour the various drinks in the glass and then add ice (or possibly put the ice in first)?

Actually, thinking about it, maybe the reason I never see blenders in use is a climate difference, since a lot of the US has a warmer climate than the UK does, which means that cold meals would be more desirable more of the time.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #74 on: July 26, 2018, 11:58:33 AM »
(who remembers everest wealth management?)
Donkey balls?

I have a $20 KitchenAid immersion blender that sees daily use, mostly making salad dressing or blended coffee drinks.  We also have some Ninja blender that we bought a few years ago mostly for making a fun blend of raw meat and goat milk for weaning puppies, and thought we'd use it for other stuff but it's pretty much just sat.  There's just not anything I want to blend that immersion blender wouldn't do faster and easier.

DreamFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #75 on: July 26, 2018, 12:34:52 PM »

Did you remember to oil the spinny part under the blade?  They absolutely will rust there and then burn out the motor because of increased friction if you don't maintain them.

I had given it as a gift, so I don't know if that was done.  I would bet not.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #76 on: July 26, 2018, 12:51:11 PM »

Well, I don't cook with a blender, and my immediate family never cooks with a blender, and I've never seen any of my friends cook with a blender, so... ;)

Surely to make a drink that is cold, you just pour the various drinks in the glass and then add ice (or possibly put the ice in first)?

Actually, thinking about it, maybe the reason I never see blenders in use is a climate difference, since a lot of the US has a warmer climate than the UK does, which means that cold meals would be more desirable more of the time.

I didn't say "a drink that is cold." I said a frozen mixed drink.

https://www.blendtec.com/blogs/recipes/frozen-screwdriver

BookLoverL

• Bristles
« Reply #77 on: July 26, 2018, 01:00:11 PM »

o.O What on earth is this?

I think I'll stick with ice cream for my preferred frozen thing...

Enjoy, I guess, if you like it...

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #78 on: July 26, 2018, 01:10:10 PM »
A blender is excellent for milk shakes, if ice cream is your thing.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #79 on: July 26, 2018, 01:15:17 PM »

o.O What on earth is this?

Anything that involves blended ice, really.  It also makes fresh whipped cream in 30 seconds.

I also don't have an immersion blender or food processor.

DreamFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #80 on: July 26, 2018, 01:47:18 PM »

You eat ice cream?  Based on your previous comment, I suspected you simply had milk with a couple ice cubes in it.

BookLoverL

• Bristles
« Reply #81 on: July 26, 2018, 01:54:01 PM »
I don't make ice cream in a blender, though - you eat it and it comes in tubs from the shop or on sticks usually. And it's a food, not a drink.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #82 on: July 26, 2018, 02:01:29 PM »

I'm pretty sure the entire concept of a "blended drink" was invented by the blender industry.  People lived for thousands of years without blended drinks, then a new consumer device came along and someone got rich convincing the public it was a new necessity.

Blenders are not washing machines or fridges.  They are not labor saving devices that have freed us from domestic drudgery, they are totally optional luxury devices that take up space in your kitchen, like electric can openers, avacado slicers, and quesadilla makers.  You don't even need to own one, and you certainly don't need to own a $600 one when there is a shelf full of $10 ones at goodwill.

Who is going to start the thread about their awesome motorized twirling spaghetti fork?  Only three easy payments of $89.99 (because you deserve the deluxe model) and you too can find true inner happiness while eating spaghetti.  It's life changing!

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #83 on: July 26, 2018, 02:14:02 PM »

I'm pretty sure the entire concept of a "blended drink" was invented by the blender industry.  People lived for thousands of years without blended drinks, then a new consumer device came along and someone got rich convincing the public it was a new necessity.

Blenders are not washing machines or fridges.  They are not labor saving devices that have freed us from domestic drudgery, they are totally optional luxury devices that take up space in your kitchen, like electric can openers, avacado slicers, and quesadilla makers.  You don't even need to own one, and you certainly don't need to own a $600 one when there is a shelf full of $10 ones at goodwill.

Who is going to start the thread about their awesome motorized twirling spaghetti fork?  Only three easy payments of $89.99 (because you deserve the deluxe model) and you too can find true inner happiness while eating spaghetti.  It's life changing!

I don't need to own two 400+hp sports cars either, but sometimes I just don't give a fuck.

Apparently a retirement target 25 years before normal and a 50%+ savings rate just isn't enough to appease you so I should go find some other forum, eh?  Speaking of forums, we also lived for thousands of years without internet. Or electricity.  Or ovens.  Or any feature of modern society.

The amount of outrage you have over a random internet person's $250 purchase is laughable.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 02:15:33 PM by JLee »

cats

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #84 on: July 26, 2018, 02:14:23 PM »
I've mentioned this before when this topic comes up, but I am still using a Cuisinart food processor that I got in 2007, on sale for about $50.  Nice thing about it is that it can also slice and grate vegetables, so it doesn't go unused if I'm not in a smoothie phase.  I have had periods where I have a kale smoothie for breakfast every day but also periods where I am having roast vegetables and eggs for breakfast everyday, and the food processor gets used for both of those purposes.  Also great for things like grating up zucchini, carrots, radishes, or beets for adding to salads.  So if you are trying not to clutter up your kitchen with too many gadgets, I would definitely get a food processor and then use it as a blender as well.

We had a sublet for a while with a Vitamix and it was really powerful but I didn't find it any easier to clean than the Cuisinart.  I also find it's easier to get all the stuff out of the Cuisinart if you are making something thicker like nut butter or banana ice cream, so there's less to really clean. For my purposes I'm fine with pureed stuff being "smooth" rather than "super smooth", and even with having the occasional (gasp!) chunk.  If that kind of thing is a total dealbreaker for you then yes, by all means get a Vitamix.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #85 on: July 26, 2018, 02:37:57 PM »
The amount of outrage you have over a random internet person's $250 purchase is laughable.

I am not the least bit outraged over blenders.  I am disappointed by the hypocrisy of a blender bragging thread on this particular forum.

I'm not upset about your two sports cars, either, but I think you know better than to start a thread boasting about how much gas they consume, here in mustache land.  There are good places for you to be venerated for your vices, this just isn't one of those places.  This is MMM, where people are proud to drive classics with over 200k miles on the clock, or <gasp> ride their bikes to work.  See the difference?

Case

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #86 on: July 26, 2018, 02:44:22 PM »

I don't need to own two 400+hp sports cars either, but sometimes I just don't give a fuck.

Apparently a retirement target 25 years before normal and a 50%+ savings rate just isn't enough to appease you so I should go find some other forum, eh?  Speaking of forums, we also lived for thousands of years without internet. Or electricity.  Or ovens.  Or any feature of modern society.

I really don't think Sol's rant is too ridiculous given the context of the forum.  Also, really man, blenders?  When we start arguing about the consistency of the slush in a smooth, and how only the Vitamix can make it just right, that is at the point of just-fucking-ridiculous.  It's certainly ok to spend your money however you like, especially if special slush is your thing and give you disproportionate happiness, but on a frugality forum with tendencies towards non-materialism and even eastern philosophy, you are totally going to get some backflash with discussions of fancy blenders.  What you shouldn't do, is take it personally.

I'm about to buy a $3000 coffee roaster.  It's not mustachian, at all.  But it's my thing, I get much enjoyment out of it.  But I'm also not posting about how people should go get this fancy coffee roaster so that they can have the best coffee ever and how I couldn't imagine settling for the crap $300 coffee roasters out there.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #87 on: July 26, 2018, 02:47:22 PM »

I am not the least bit outraged over blenders.  I am disappointed by the hypocrisy of a blender bragging thread on this particular forum.

I'm not upset about your two sports cars, either, but I think you know better than to start a thread boasting about how much gas they consume, here in mustache land.  There are good places for you to be venerated for your vices, this just isn't one of those places.  This is MMM, where people are proud to drive classics with over 200k miles on the clock, or <gasp> ride their bikes to work.  See the difference?

I read this as a thread where someone isn't able to do what they want with their cheap blender (there are major differences in capability, believe it or not) so they're asking for input on what to get that isn't $300+.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #88 on: July 26, 2018, 02:49:30 PM »

I really don't think Sol's rant is too ridiculous given the context of the forum.  Also, really man, blenders?  When we start arguing about the consistency of the slush in a smooth, and how only the Vitamix can make it just right, that is at the point of just-fucking-ridiculous.  It's certainly ok to spend your money however you like, especially if special slush is your thing and give you disproportionate happiness, but on a frugality forum with tendencies towards non-materialism and even eastern philosophy, you are totally going to get some backflash with discussions of fancy blenders.  What you shouldn't do, is take it personally.

I'm about to buy a $3000 coffee roaster.  It's not mustachian, at all.  But it's my thing, I get much enjoyment out of it.  But I'm also not posting about how people should go get this fancy coffee roaster so that they can have the best coffee ever and how I couldn't imagine settling for the crap $300 coffee roasters out there.

The OP's cheap blender isn't adequate and they're looking for advice for something that isn't $300+.  Key point is someone asked for input. If people were roaming around in "I have $500 left in my budget, what do I do with it" threads saying zomg buy a Vitamix, that'd be different.

Case

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #89 on: July 26, 2018, 02:54:18 PM »

The OP's cheap blender isn't adequate and they're looking for advice for something that isn't $300+.  Key point is someone asked for input. If people were roaming around in "I have $500 left in my budget, what do I do with it" threads saying zomg buy a Vitamix, that'd be different.

Haha, well that is a fair point.  But I forever think Vitamix will be danger territory on this forum!

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #90 on: July 26, 2018, 02:56:11 PM »
Apparently a retirement target 25 years before normal and a 50%+ savings rate just isn't enough to appease you so I should go find some other forum, eh?

Percentage savings rate is a shitty thing to brag about.  If I made a million dollars a year, I could live extravagant 100k a year life while saving 90% of my earnings . . . and I'd have a retirement target of well earlier than 25 years before normal.  That's not impressive.  Much more impressive would be someone who has cut their expenses to the point that they can comfortably live on 10k a year.

DreamFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #91 on: July 26, 2018, 03:02:50 PM »
I don't make ice cream in a blender, though - you eat it and it comes in tubs from the shop or on sticks usually. And it's a food, not a drink.

That sounds like a lot more hassle than just having a glass of very cold milk.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #92 on: July 26, 2018, 03:07:26 PM »
Apparently a retirement target 25 years before normal and a 50%+ savings rate just isn't enough to appease you so I should go find some other forum, eh?

Percentage savings rate is a shitty thing to brag about.  If I made a million dollars a year, I could live extravagant 100k a year life while saving 90% of my earnings . . . and I'd have a retirement target of well earlier than 25 years before normal.  That's not impressive.  Much more impressive would be someone who has cut their expenses to the point that they can comfortably live on 10k a year.

Point
___

Your head

DreamFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #93 on: July 26, 2018, 03:19:16 PM »

Yeah, I agree, I have an 80% savings rate and mentioned my 10-15 year old blender that cost me $20.

We actually have other threads on this forum that might be more appropriate for people to complain about, such as the "lusting after" thread, the "splurging on" thread and the threads that come up about buying brand new cars, for example.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #94 on: July 26, 2018, 03:22:20 PM »

Yeah, I agree, I have an 80% savings rate and mentioned my 10-15 year old blender that cost me $20.

We actually have other threads on this forum that might be more appropriate for people to complain about, such as the "lusting after" thread, the "splurging on" thread and the threads that come up about buying brand new cars, for example.

Yeah, there are much bigger fish to fry here.

I bought my blender in my pre-MMM days and wouldn't likely have bought one now, but damn is it nice to have when the occasion arises!

gerardc

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #95 on: July 26, 2018, 03:29:46 PM »

YES! That's exactly what I'm saying. Frozen blueberries FTW! Chunks FTW! Chewing FTW! I would like my fellow forumites to have more power to them too. And if you're worried about the food/drink label, I'd encourage you to focus more on the taste, function and quality of your food than what you call it!

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #96 on: July 26, 2018, 03:40:05 PM »

YES! That's exactly what I'm saying. Frozen blueberries FTW! Chunks FTW! Chewing FTW! I would like my fellow forumites to have more power to them too. And if you're worried about the food/drink label, I'd encourage you to focus more on the taste, function and quality of your food than what you call it!

I think you're reading a different version of what I said than what I actually said.  First you infer that I believe that everything I eat needs to be in pre-digested form, and now you assume I'm worried about labels?

Words mean things.  Please don't imagine new ones into my posts.

BookLoverL

• Bristles
« Reply #97 on: July 26, 2018, 03:56:50 PM »

??? Milk and ice cream are two different things, even though ice cream is technically made from milk...

If I want a cool, refreshing glass of milk, I just pour it and drink it. It doesn't need ice because it is stored in the fridge, which is already cold. Usually, I just drink water, though, because it's healthy and cheap and convenient.

On the other hand, if I am hungry and it is a hot day, or maybe I want some chocolate since the ice cream that comes on sticks has chocolate around the outside, I eat ice cream. And how is it hassle to buy it with the rest of the grocery shop and then stick it in the freezer?

I was confused by this thread to start with, but now I'm just baffled. I definitely know the difference between milk, ice cubes, ice cream, and regular cream, but as far as I'm aware you don't need a blender to have any of those things, and "drinks" that are solid only exist in vending machines in some places like bowling alleys where they are called "SlushPuppies" or somesuch, or were when I was a kid.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #98 on: July 26, 2018, 04:03:02 PM »

??? Milk and ice cream are two different things, even though ice cream is technically made from milk...

If I want a cool, refreshing glass of milk, I just pour it and drink it. It doesn't need ice because it is stored in the fridge, which is already cold. Usually, I just drink water, though, because it's healthy and cheap and convenient.

On the other hand, if I am hungry and it is a hot day, or maybe I want some chocolate since the ice cream that comes on sticks has chocolate around the outside, I eat ice cream. And how is it hassle to buy it with the rest of the grocery shop and then stick it in the freezer?

I was confused by this thread to start with, but now I'm just baffled. I definitely know the difference between milk, ice cubes, ice cream, and regular cream, but as far as I'm aware you don't need a blender to have any of those things, and "drinks" that are solid only exist in vending machines in some places like bowling alleys where they are called "SlushPuppies" or somesuch, or were when I was a kid.

I am usually a gin & tonic guy, but there are plenty of drinks that involve a blender. 

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipes/17651/drinks/cocktails/blended-cocktails/
https://www.thespruceeats.com/blended-summer-cocktail-recipes-759880
http://www.myrecipes.com/summer-grilling/summer-drinks/frozen-alcoholic-drink-recipes

DreamFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #99 on: July 26, 2018, 04:04:18 PM »

So you can see the difference between ice cream and ice milk, which I was trying to get you to see, yet you don't understand the purpose of a blender.  When I use a blender, the product is very different than the sum of the ingredients combined in a bowl.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!