Author Topic: What Bike - Big/Tall Guy Edition  (Read 5190 times)

gangr

What Bike - Big/Tall Guy Edition
« on: March 30, 2012, 08:09:39 PM »
I have asked my wife for a bike for my birthday. It has been a while since I have ridden and I have added inches to myself both in terms of height and width (read weight).  What recommendations do you have for bikes for guys both big and tall (6' 5")?  Although the tall factor cannot be reversed, the "big" part of myself can and the bike will help facilitate weight loss.

Stackfault

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: What Bike - Big/Tall Guy Edition
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 08:50:09 PM »
Getting a bike that fits you will make a big difference in how much you enjoy and use it.  Back pain or injury from a poor fit will cause the bike to sit in the garage and you to sit on the couch.  :)

You would do well to visit a local bike shop or two and talk to the folks there about how and where you intend to ride and get some general guidance on frame size.  A full blown fitting and tweaking of stems, cranks, seat, etc. will cost money but may be free with purchase.  At a minimum though, they can get you pointed in the right direction on style and size.

Some shops will have at least a few used bikes so ask about that as well.

Since it sounds like durability is a criteria for your purchase, stick with bike store brands like Trek, Specialized, etc. even if you buy used from Craig's List or some other source.  The quality of these bikes is far superior to anything you can get in a big box store.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/bikes/buying-guide.htm

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 09:53:59 PM »
6'5" is comfortably within the range of bikes you see for sale on Craigslist.  They don't come up every single day, but they're out there.  Depending on your inseam, you're probably looking for something in the 61-65cm range, assuming you're looking for a road bike and not a mountain bike.

As for the weight, I wouldn't worry about it too much.  Unless you're hopping curbs on it, pretty much any modern wheel that's not designated "race" should be fine.  Look for a normal spoke count, keep your tire pressure up, and you shouldn't have any problems.

menorman

• Stubble
    • Marven's Money Musings
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 10:38:18 PM »
6'5" is comfortably within the range of bikes you see for sale on Craigslist.  They don't come up every single day, but they're out there.  Depending on your inseam, you're probably looking for something in the 61-65cm range, assuming you're looking for a road bike and not a mountain bike.

As for the weight, I wouldn't worry about it too much.  Unless you're hopping curbs on it, pretty much any modern wheel that's not designated "race" should be fine.  Look for a normal spoke count, keep your tire pressure up, and you shouldn't have any problems.

I second what this guy said. Also, it might be a good idea to just peruse some of the biking sites. Sheldon Brown is an excellent place to start if you want more information about anything bike related.

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2012, 05:06:14 AM »
My brother is 6'7" and at least 300 lb, he has a Trek mountain bike that suits him just fine.

gangr

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2012, 09:25:11 PM »
Thank you for the feedback.  I'll use your recommendations as I search for a bike.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!