Author Topic: What authors/bloggers have early retired?  (Read 6537 times)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
What authors/bloggers have early retired?
« on: September 24, 2016, 08:20:45 AM »
Making a list. 

Bloggers:
GCC
MMM
BNL
MadFientist
RoG
Lacking Ambition
Millennial Revolution
Military Guide (Nords)
J.L. Fisker (ERE)
LivingAFI

Authors (aside from the above):
Paul and Vicki Terhorst
Joe Dominguez
Billy and Akaisha Kaderli

Off the top of my head, so I'm sure I'm missing some obvious ones.

Please add any you can think of.  Even if they're borderline, feel free to toss out their names (like Jim Collins I thought of and wouldn't count personally, since he's all about FI/FU, but never really ER'd, but if you thought of him and didn't see him mentioned, saying JLCollins is A-Okay!).

Cheers!
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Stachey

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What authors/bloggers have early retired?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2016, 10:37:15 AM »
Authors:

Dianne Nahirny (wrote "Stop Working, Start Living"- very good book!)

Charles Long (wrote "How to Survive without a Salary") - - although this is more about living on very little money, not sure he RE

Ernie Zelinski - wrote many books on retiring early

Joe Dominguez and Vicki Robin - YMOYL

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2016, 11:03:21 AM »
Bloggers :

Retire by 40
The Power of Thrift
Financial Samurai (sort of)

terran

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2016, 03:47:01 PM »
http://www.mrtakoescapes.com/ (wife might still work)

Pretty sure JD Roth is FI, but I guess it depends if his blog and other writing count as work: http://moneyboss.com/

kudy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2016, 04:19:31 PM »
Jake Desyllas - author of "Job Free" and "Becoming an Entrepreneur" and creator of the podcast The Voluntary Life (which I recommend highly!).

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2016, 04:23:37 PM »
frugalwoods

jodelino

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2016, 07:04:27 PM »

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache

K60

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2016, 07:34:01 PM »
Jacob at Early Retirement Extreme:

earlyretirementextreme.com

Fireball

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2016, 07:44:09 PM »
Freedom with Bruno
FiFighter

mcneally

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2016, 04:34:33 AM »
Arebelspy- I know all the acronyms in your OP, but if you mean this as a resource for people who don't already know the blogs you're talking about the acronyms are pretty worthless. If you Google 'GCC' you're not going to find Go Curry Cracker.

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2016, 04:46:17 AM »
Sydney Lagier Retirement : a full-time job... retiredsyd.typepad.com/

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2016, 05:28:18 AM »
Arebelspy- I know all the acronyms in your OP, but if you mean this as a resource for people who don't already know the blogs you're talking about the acronyms are pretty worthless. If you Google 'GCC' you're not going to find Go Curry Cracker.
I am not.

----------------------------------------------

Thanks to everyone contributing so far!  I wouldn't consider all of them FIRE'd, but definitely some good ones I missed. If you think of any others, please toss them out there! :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

HotPotato

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2016, 07:46:20 AM »
I am not.

So the point of this post is purely personal? Unfortunate. I'm one of the newbies who aren't familiar with the abbreviations, and having additional resources/inspiration could have been helpful.

LadyStache in Baja

• Pencil Stache
    • My Casa Caoba: Making meaning in Mexico
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2016, 07:48:08 AM »
hotpotato, just ask then.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2016, 07:51:00 AM »
So the point of this post is purely personal?

Yes.  I am crowdsourcing initial info for a project from those smarter and with better memories than me.  :)

If it had been a resource for others, it wouldn't have been phrased as a question, and the first post would have been formatted very differently.

I'm one of the newbies who aren't familiar with the abbreviations, and having additional resources/inspiration could have been helpful.

As LSiB said, just ask whenever you have a question or are confused.  That goes for anywhere here on the forums, not just this thread.  :)

gatortator

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2016, 01:14:13 PM »

Bicycle_B

• Handlebar Stache
  • Mustachian-ish in Live Music Capital of the World
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2016, 03:41:52 PM »
I am not.

So the point of this post is purely personal? Unfortunate. I'm one of the newbies who aren't familiar with the abbreviations, and having additional resources/inspiration could have been helpful.

The additions below can be Googled successfully.  These are just my guess, I will accept corrective comments!

Bloggers:
GCC - Go Curry Cracker (lovely travel/personal finance blog by early retired couple in their 30s)
MMM - Mr. Money Mustache
BNL - (no idea)
MadFientist - Madfientist (awesome for analysis of financial options, especially retirement accounts)
RoG - Root of Good (early retired family, also traveling a lot)
Lacking Ambition - http://lackingambition.com/
Millennial Revolution - Millenial Revolution
Military Guide (Nords) - http://the-military-guide.com. Also see book "The Military Guide to Financial Independence".
J.L. Fisker (ERE) - Early Retirement Extreme.  Ponderous but powerful exploration of early retirement concepts, with personal examples.
LivingAFI - Livingafi

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2016, 03:49:18 PM »
bnl is brave new life

Ladychips

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2016, 05:57:41 PM »
I don't think frugalwoods have retired.  they've purchased their homestead and are working remotely...but still working I believe.  She is freelancing, but I thought he still had his day job.  No?

englishteacheralex

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2016, 06:01:27 PM »
I don't think frugalwoods have retired.  they've purchased their homestead and are working remotely...but still working I believe.  She is freelancing, but I thought he still had his day job.  No?

I follow them obsessively, and I think that's accurate, yes. They're sort of in semi-retirement? And it kind of depends on how you define retirement?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2016, 06:06:20 PM »

No, they are not on my list, nor are several of the above mentioned.  I mean, I think their full time job is basically blogging, but they aren't ER'd in the traditional way.

But some definitely are that I missed, like Freedom with Bruno!  :)

gatortator

• Bristles
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2016, 08:37:57 PM »

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2016, 12:02:34 AM »
Here's a few more for you younger whippersnappers:
John Greaney of RetireEarlyHomePage.com.
Bob Clyatt of "Work Less Live More", including an eminently practical variable withdrawal system of the 4%/95% rule.  Bob was one of the inspirations for my book.
Dory36, who founded Early-Retirement.org but never quite got around to writing that book... although he interviewed with Bob for a workbook.
Mike Golio of "Engineer Your Retirement".
Deserat of Early-Retirement.org is a published author and ER'd, although she hasn't been writing about ER.

Also in the gray area are J.D. Roth (probably financially independent) and Jim Wang (definitely FI but will probably work on profitable projects for the rest of his life).

Early-Retirement.org maintains a series of perpetual threads titled "Class of 20xx", and some of those alumni are doubtless authors & bloggers.  I don't know off the top of my head whether they're ER'd.

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2016, 12:47:38 AM »

Yes, he still works at his Cambridge job, just remotely.

ClovisKid

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2016, 02:55:15 PM »
I thought that MadFientist was still working too(?)

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2016, 03:29:56 PM »
I thought that MadFientist was still working too(?)
He officially pulled the plug a month or two ago.  He was working remotely so the "farewell" was done by Skype. 

Of course he's still working at podcasts and blog posts.

ohmylookatthat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2016, 03:35:56 PM »
Tom Rotts at CVT or at least almost there??