Author Topic: What are your guilty (anti-mustachian) pleasures?  (Read 4568 times)

domustachesgrowinhouston

• Stubble
What are your guilty (anti-mustachian) pleasures?
« on: September 03, 2014, 08:44:45 PM »
I suppose mine are rather cliche, but i do enjoy them.

Drinking - although i do buy my scotch in the 1.75L bottles from Costco
Smoking - both cigarettes and cigars - both hand-rolled
Coca-cola - Mexican or Brazilian, which both still use sugar instead of corn syrup

Bonus guilty pleasure - when someone gives me a hard time about smoking, i derive some weird, evil pleasure from sizing them up to determine if they're actually health-conscious or just like to complain.  Typically i look for signs of a high-sugar, high-high fructose corn syrup, high-unpronounceable chemical diet such as dull eyes, dull hair, pallid skin, foot-long corn-dog in hand (i live in Texas), also look for chemical goo smeared on the face or head (usually women, though seems to be getting popular among young men as well these days).

What say you?  Let the face-punching or guilty pleasures begin!  (If your answers happen to be foot-long corn dogs, maybelline products and harrassing smokers AND you live in Texas, look me up - we could be a match made in heaven.)

MBot

• Pencil Stache
Re: What are your guilty (anti-mustachian) pleasures?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 09:05:33 PM »
Normally I eat very well. But when I don't...Bad, cheap fast food. Mostly McDoubles

Great coffee, but only sometimes.

Y membership for the gym/pool but I use it 4 times a week.

Josiecat

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 09:13:25 PM »
I love my bi-weekly massages.

briandougherty

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 09:30:52 PM »
I live downtown.

domustachesgrowinhouston

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2014, 09:32:14 PM »
I love my bi-weekly massages.

good one!  Ive only ever had one but i remember it felt really indulgent.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2014, 09:32:25 PM »
Anti-mustachian double-whammy: I really like to drink a frappucino and walk around Target without my children. I hardly ever actually do this, but sometimes I have a gift card to Starbucks and a gift card to Target and the kids are at preschool... bliss.

stlbrah

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2014, 10:52:03 PM »
under armor gym clothes
monster zero 5 times per week

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2014, 02:16:59 AM »
My main hobby is dressmaking. It sounds frugal, "I make my own clothes!". It really isn't. Especially when compared to how cheaply you can buy clothes now.

Fabric is expensive, sewing machines are expensive, needles, zips, buttons all add up. I do end up with a better -quality- of clothes for the money I spend, but I could definitely dress myself more cheaply. But for the clothes that I make, I would have to spend a lot more to get that in store (eg I never use polyester lining, and I'm surprised by how many 'High End' brands do).

I actually started making my own not as way to save money, but as a way to stop supporting poor labour practises after the factory collapse. There are still big issues with how fabric is made (I can occasionally still find stuff Made in Britain, but it is usually furnishing, not dressmaking, weight). I now really derive a lot of enjoyment from it as a hobby. Plus I haven't bought a single item of clothing since I started making everything, and I haven't set foot in a mall except when accompanying a friend since.

That said, the desire for new clothes is not mustachian at all, and I consider this one huge guilty pleasure.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2014, 03:32:09 AM »
Alcohol and lots of fresh fruit and veg. I hope the negative effects of the booze is partly cancelled out by the healthy veg diet.:)

LifesABeach

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2014, 06:03:16 AM »
Coca-cola - Mexican or Brazilian, which both still use sugar instead of corn syrup
You should try the HEB store brand of cokes with pure cane sugar. I haven't had them, but their Dr. B with sugar ruined me on real dr. pepper.  Real DP has no flavor comparatively.

Retired To Win

• Handlebar Stache
  • making the most of my time and my money
    • Retired To Win
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2014, 06:05:52 AM »
heh, heh, heh...

1.  Drinking Chivas Regal instead of Old Crow Bourbon.

2.  Collecting history books instead of checking them out of the library.

3. Collecting horse figures just for the visual pleasure.

4. Spending money on display cases for numbers 2 and 3 above.

Of course, all the costs of these "guilty pleasures" come out of my discretionary funds.  I am FIRE, I try my best to be thrifty about my book and horse figure purchases, and my passive income is 250% of my basic living expenses.  So... why not?  :D

thedayisbrave

• Pencil Stache
  • CFO @ My Life
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2014, 07:42:49 AM »
Mine would be massages too.  I tend to hold tension easier than some so it's nice to be able to get a deep tissue massage to work all the kinks out.  They are a pretty penny but worth it, IMO.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!