Author Topic: What are your go-to low carb recipes?  (Read 3054 times)

lexde

• Magnum Stache
What are your go-to low carb recipes?
« on: June 16, 2019, 02:47:34 PM »
I'm looking for more frugal low-carb recipes that I can add into the rotation. What do you guys make that is wallet- and waistline-friendly?

Thanks!

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
Re: What are your go-to low carb recipes?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2019, 04:57:55 PM »
Offal/organ meat is generally pretty cheap.  It can be prepared a variety of ways.

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2019, 07:28:05 PM »
I buy pork roasts and chicken thighs when they go on sale.
I cut the roasts into 3/4-1 lb chunks and freeze most of them.
I roast the roasts and thighs (not together) in pretty generic seasonings.
Then I use the cooked meat to make:
stew, chili, BBQ, casserole, burritos (with low carb tortillias), omellets....

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2019, 08:05:46 PM »
I just did a recipe where you make a simple slaw (cabbage and a few scallions, plus a yogurt-mayo dressing) and put a pan-grilled filet of fish on top (Mexican-type spices). It was meant to be a deconstructed fish taco. You were supposed to add a little scoop of guacamole, and on some servings I threw on some crushed taco shell, but honestly I forgot both of those a couple times and it was still really good.

Milspecstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2019, 05:51:20 AM »
I replaced all rice with cauliflower rice, spaghetti with Spaghetti Squash.  Try to mostly eat just fish, meat, veggies, nuts, and fruit.  No processed, pasta, bread, etc.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2019, 07:49:58 AM »
I just did a recipe where you make a simple slaw (cabbage and a few scallions, plus a yogurt-mayo dressing) and put a pan-grilled filet of fish on top (Mexican-type spices). It was meant to be a deconstructed fish taco. You were supposed to add a little scoop of guacamole, and on some servings I threw on some crushed taco shell, but honestly I forgot both of those a couple times and it was still really good.

I've done that (though I use a lime-and-cilantro dressing, since I lean citrus in terms of flavors) and it's a perpetual success.

Also: grilled vegetables and meats (with sauce/dressing or not)  always works - I do grilled souvlaki-spiced meats with tzatziki and veg, for example, and that gets rave reviews. Basically, anything that's 'lots of flavor wrapped in carbs' can be 'lots of flavor on a plate without the carbs', as an approach.

Otherwise... omelettes (also a fantastic way of using up leftover veg) and stir-fry (I tend to use tofu because the kids love it, but meat is an option there, obv) are good cheap options.

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2019, 08:53:28 AM »
Depending on what your dr./diet plan is saying, you can also mix veggies and carbs--so, half cauliflower rice and half regular rice, half zucchini noodles and half regular pasta. I am texture-sensitive and sometimes don't care for all veggie substitutions, but am totally OK with upping the ration of vegetables to carbs.

cats

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2019, 09:23:21 AM »
We are mostly vegetarian so my suggestions are maybe a little atypical.  My big one is: make your own seitan in big batches using an instant pot or other pressure cooker.  If you can find the vital wheat gluten flour used to make it in bulk, it is very cheap and high protein/low carb.  We get the flour in bulk for $4/lb at the local health food store, so the cost per pound of the finished seitan is about $1.50/lb, which is cheaper than most meat we can get, definitely way cheaper than anything boneless/skinless (which I consider to be the most equivalent type of meat to compare to in terms of general nutrition profile). You can of course buy pre-made seitan but I don't think I've seen any brands/versions that I would consider frugal, and they're often quite salty or have a lot of random flavoring additives.  My basic recipe is:

For one log seitan (4-6 servings, can typically fit 5 logs in a 6 qt. instant pot)
-1 1/4 c wheat gluten flour
-1/2 c. pinto beans (optional if you are trying to go super low-carb)
-1/4 c. nutritional yeast
-2 c. water
-1 clove garlic
-1/4 tsp salt
-other seasonings of choice (I currently like 1/2 tsp paprika, 1 tsp each cumin and coriander)

1) Set up instant pot for steaming (1 c. water+steamer rack)

2) Mix 1/4 c. wheat gluten, 1 c. water, nutritional yeast, garlic, salt, and seasonings in a food processor.  Add remaining gluten and water to form a wet dough.  Roll dough into a thick log and wrap in parchment paper.  Place log on steamer rack.  Repeat for up to 5 logs total in instant pot.

3) Cook on high pressure for 20 min and then allow pressure to release naturally.

I also recently picked up a vegetable spiralizer for $10 on craigslist, and during the summer zucchini is so cheap, so we've been having zucchini noodles 1-2x/week.  They are good raw, or sauteed a bit.  So far this peanut noodle salad is the family favorite (just use zucchini noodles instead of rice noodles).  I've also done a version with sauteed tomatoes, garlic, and a little parmesan, and last night did a stir-fry with red onions, bell pepper, thai basil, mint, and cilantro (grow your own basil and mint to make this version frugal!).

We also eat a lot of eggs: omelets, frittatas, scrambles, or just poached on the side of a bowl of vegetable soup.

simonsez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2019, 09:25:08 AM »
My wife makes a killer eggplant lasagna.  She subs out the pasta for eggplant and it is amazing!  The only issue is that the eggplant doesn't hold up the greatest structurally over time so not as good for leftovers as regular lasagna would be (but okay if you go from dinner to next day's lunch).

If you need to eat bananas, 'paleo pancakes' are pretty good! Smash a banana, mix and whisk with egg, fry them up with butter in skillet.  Just like with regular pancakes, the smaller the size the easier to flip/cook.  Be liberal with the cinnamon and butter afterward and avoid syrup.  Optionally can mix in blueberries as well.  Goes great with bacon.

Proud Foot

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2019, 10:20:49 AM »
Our easy go-to recipe is egg-roll in a bowl.

Coleslaw Mix
Broccoli Slaw
Ground Sausage
Coconut Aminos
Sriracha

Brown the sausage and then add the slaw mixes and coconut aminos and sautee until soft. We top it with Sriracha for a little spice and extra flavor but it is still good without.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2019, 10:30:54 AM »
Baked bone-in skin-on chicken thighs with frozen broccoli.  Dump both on a cookie sheet in desired quantities, pile on spices to taste, cook at 400F for like 45 minutes.  Almost zero work and cheap.

Dragonswan

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2019, 11:28:32 AM »
Toss your broccoli in garlic olive oil and roast (375 degrees).  Add cut up kielbasa to the cookie sheet and 15-20 minutes later you're eatin' good. If you want to spend an extra 20-40 cents add some Italian cheese on top when you plate it up (provolone or asiago).

FICurious

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2019, 12:33:34 PM »
My wife isn't big into Keto/Low Carb, but both she and my two young kids love this one. The kids even said it'd taste better without the chicken.

Chicken & Cauliflower Cheese Casserole

https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-chicken-casserole

Edit: I made this last week and used frozen chicken breasts and frozen cauliflower to save a little cost. I forgot to unthaw the chicken before hand, it still worked out, but made the process longer. I used 1 bag of cauliflower but probably could have used 2. I also don't measure out my cheese...just a good amount to cover all the things and get melty! I also should have looked up more recipes to use leeks for, because it came in a bunch of 3, and I ended up throwing 2 away, :/.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 12:39:40 PM by FICurious »

rantk81

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2019, 03:29:44 PM »
Ground beef cooked with chopped cabbage, little bit of onions, and garlic.  Add a can of diced/roasted tomatoes if you like.  If you like heat, a few sprinkles of crushed red pepper flakes. Optionally topped with any kind of cheese you like.

CNM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2019, 03:37:13 PM »
Babaganoush, sometimes called eggplant caviar or vinete. Roast a whole eggplant.  Finely chop a small red onion.  Blend eggplant, onion, olive oil and optional tahini, optional lemon juice, optional garlic. DONE!

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2019, 03:35:10 PM »
I'm looking for more frugal low-carb recipes that I can add into the rotation. What do you guys make that is wallet- and waistline-friendly?

Thanks!

Carbs alone don't tell the whole story.

Here;s a good recipe that has carbs but most of those carbs are fiber:

Chickpeas (you can use black eyes peas instead)
Chopped onion
Diced tomatoes
Corn
Tuna
Olive Oil
Vinegar/juice of a lemon
Eggs
Salt
Parsley/Cilantro

Eat cold if possible. Everyone that comes to my house they're all like blown away and love it. The other day I fed 14 people for like 10-14 dollars total

About 520 calories per portion.

40 gr of protein, 14 gr of carbs (half of them or more in fiber) and 30 of fat (from olive oil and egg yolk)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 03:40:29 PM by MrSal »

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2019, 05:28:19 PM »

Thanks!

1. Buy a bunch of chicken legs/breasts/wings (whichever you like the most).

2. Cook as you prefer then freeze

3. Thaw  to room temp or warm  in your microwave oven.

4. Cook fresh or frozen corn/peas/green beans. Or cook a fresh, sliced carrot.

5  Eat one or some or all of the vegetables w/ the chicken.

6. You may like adding a thick slice of onion.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 05:39:34 PM by John Galt incarnate! »