Author Topic: What are your favorite FIRE locations on the east coast (US)?  (Read 762 times)

Omy

• Handlebar Stache
What are your favorite FIRE locations on the east coast (US)?
« on: February 22, 2021, 08:33:14 AM »
Ideally, I'm looking for low or moderate cost of living areas, good state health exchange, within an hour or two of a beach, and moderate temperatures. I would also like to be within 30 minutes of restaurants, shopping, and a good hospital. I'd prefer no HOA, but that's not a deal breaker. What are your favorite areas?

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
Re: What are your favorite FIRE locations on the east coast (US)?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2021, 08:37:27 AM »
PTF

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
    • KOWines: Deep discount wine/spirits store.
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2021, 09:05:17 AM »
I picked the Tampa/St. Pete area in FL.

Great food and art. Very liberal, welcoming of brown-skinned people like me :-). Close to two of the top ten beaches in the US (Clearwater and Fort De Soto). All the other beaches are also awsome.

The weather is great, except for July/August/Sept.

And best of all, no state income tax!

Omy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2021, 09:32:15 AM »
I have family in that area so it's on the list. I'm a wimp about heat, though. Is Florida ACA friendly?

terran

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2021, 09:55:05 AM »
The Kauffman Foundation has a number of good resources for researching ACA options in different areas. Here's a premium/subsidy calculator and here's a map of the insurers active in each county. It probably won't apply to you, but I think medicaid expansion status can be something of an indication of a states willingness to work with the ACA system.

Something I'd be curious to know is if anyone knows if insurance companies are pretty consistent across states? And on the exchange vs employer provided? For example, is Blue Cross/Blue Shield of Florida comparable to  Blue Cross/Blue Shield of Massachusetts? Would it be comparable to employer provided Blue Cross/Blue Shield? There are others like Anthem, Cigna, Centenne, etc that operate in multiple markets too.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 10:04:29 AM by terran »

Omy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2021, 11:43:48 AM »
Thanks for the links! I have the same questions. It's tough to leave the devil you know to venture into the unknown.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!