Author Topic: What are you doing this weekend to save money?  (Read 20196 times)

WhatMomWears

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • living joie de vivre
    • What Mom Wears
What are you doing this weekend to save money?
« on: March 02, 2013, 10:27:30 AM »
So far I have trimmed my own hair (um, yeah, need to work on getting the length even), sent my husband grocery shopping (he never veers from the list, ever), redid the grocery list to not include items we won't use within the week and decided to spend my birthday weekend at my inlaws house in Pebble Beach instead of paying to go somewhere. They're thrilled we're coming btw :)
We also are digging into our 'wine cellar' under the house to bring up bottles we bought in our much less mustachian days - no time like the present to drink them! And that's less wine we buy from the store.
Tomorrow we will probably go take a free tour at a goat farm and come home with some tasty cheeses. It's feeling like a pretty darn good weekend so far.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
Re: What are you doing this weekend to save money?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 10:49:34 AM »
We are turning the water heater down to a more sensible and less scalding temperature after getting the go-ahead this morning from our landlord.  Later I'm going to be working on fixing up a car to sell, and hopefully someone will bite on Craigslist this weekend for the lens that I listed yesterday.  Also, I'll probably do some work for the process of getting my rental house closer to ready to being rented out.  I'll probably also change my oil this weekend, and maybe a few other little car things.

mm31

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 10:54:27 AM »
I'll be baking some bread, trimming my hair, and cooking food that I can eat for the next 2 days. Pretty low-key weekend overall.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 11:09:29 AM »
Going to a Canucks game tonight (tickets were a gift!!).

Going to walk to our favorite sushi place for lunch - will have 3 rolls, avoid the jumbo japanese beer, and probably spend around $18 (you can't eat lunch much cheaper in my city). For a little free entertainment we will probably hit a few open houses in our neighbourhood and witness firsthand the panic amongst the realtors - I believe my city is in the first stage of North America's last Real Estate bubble being popped. I followed the Amercian experience closely - our reckoning is next, so glad our mortgage is pretty much gone.

John74

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 11:12:18 AM »
We are staying home, watching movies on Netflix, and eating some of the food I prepared during the week.

anastrophe

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2013, 11:21:14 AM »
Last night we went to a movie showing at the local college, we brought mixed nuts and fruit and water for our snacks. It was totally free and a really good time. Just the kind of Friday night date I wanted. And to think we used to go out for "dinner and a movie" for $60 a pop--almost every weekend--no more!

Matt K

• Bristles
    • Krull Photography
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2013, 11:31:48 AM »
Cut my own hair (pretty normal for me these days). Developed a roll of film (saved $10 over having the lab do it for me - proper b&w development is expensive at labs nowadays). Having my parents over for dinner and roasting a chicken then making soup tomorrow; between tonight's meal and the soup we'll have about 10 person-meals for about the cost of one main plate at the local family restaurant.

Putting finishing touches on our new pantry. Contractor estimate was ~$1000, our total materials cost was under $500.
Hopefully going snow-shoeing tomorrow. Not totally Mustachian since I plan on filling up another roll or two of film during the trip, but hey, someone has to keep Kodak in business (doh!)

Blindsquirrel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2013, 11:40:50 AM »
   Stoking the wood stove and playing with my cats for entertainment. Filling the bird feeders in a most spendthrift fashion but enjoy watching the birdies.

Mama Mia

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2013, 12:47:46 PM »
I created a meal plan, taking inventory of what we have on hand.  Then grocery shopped at Aldi sticking to my list.  Will be making homemade pizza & salad for dinner tonight.  Will make homemade hummus from garbanzos that I have soaked, boiled and froze in jars.  This will make up the majority of lunches for me for the week.  I will also do some food prep for the week that will allow dinners to go smoothly. 

Also I will be working from home for a few hours this weekend. 

Nate R

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2013, 01:14:39 PM »
Trip chained. Looked at a house with sister in law and her husband, then went grocery shopping, got a new collar for the dog, and went to a fishmonger and bought lobster tails for dinner instead of going out for seafood. ($30 in lobster will be cheaper than a restaurant seafood meal.) 

psychomoustache

• Bristles
  • American expat in France
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2013, 01:34:58 PM »
Mama Mia and I have the same weekend going apparently.

Making meal plans for the week -now that we are back home from my in-laws from vacation. Had hummous for dinner with steamed brocholi - after a week at my lovely MIL's it feels good to get back to my normal eating! Gained about 3 lbs in a week at my in-laws - my own fault, I could have stopped the hand-to-mouth mouvement, but NON, quoi.

Going in the back of the pantries and dragging out stuff for above-said meal plans. I too need to cut one of my kids' hair. Oh, and I got a BREAD MACHINE off of our Craigslist Equivalent  - and the guy who sold it to us (30€ instead of like, 80€ new) had a HUGE Frenchy-handlebar mustache. We took it as a sign ; )  So yeah, baking bread too.

ruthiegirl

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2013, 01:51:34 PM »
Cut the boys' hair.  Baked oatmeal for breakfast.  Eating leftovers for lunch.  Bike ride with kids.  Lots of play time and a free movie tonight.  Fun!

Husband signed paperwork for our new place.  Our rent will be $895 rather than $1200.  $300 savings a month!!!

Ultimate Cheapskate

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2013, 01:59:23 PM »
Cutting firewood for the wood stoves-- but not so successfully.  Thoreau said cutting firewood warms you twice:  Once when you cut it, and once when you burn it.  Unfortunately, today it warmed me three time: Once when I cut it, once when I burned it, and once when I saw the ER bill for the visit after I threw my back out while cutting/splitting/hauling it.  Argh...
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 02:10:49 PM by Ultimate Cheapskate »

maryofdoom

• Stubble
  • Jeopardy! loser since 2010
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2013, 04:01:22 PM »
Popped some tags at the thrift shop and found a book on internal combustion engines worth $160 on Amazon. Not bad for $2.

But since that involves actually spending money, I will say that I got all my errands done today and will not be driving anywhere tomorrow. I'll spend the day doing laundry, cleaning up the house, and working on embroidery projects. Also I am beginning the no-data-on-the-smartphone experiment and will be tracking those results in preparation for the end of my cell phone contract.

kudy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2013, 04:07:38 PM »
Popped some tags at the thrift shop

Does that mean you looked up the going rate on Amazon, or something else?

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2013, 05:00:28 PM »
This weekend, I took several long glorious naps, planned my next grocery run, and continued what is now becoming a daily writing/sketching habit. I try to write/sketch every day, but on weekdays I sometimes only manage a couple of pages before falling asleep. I wrote about 50 pages yesterday and I want to match that number today. And then I think I'll go for a walk around my neighborhood.

I didn't spend a cent on Saturday (yesterday) and am going to do the same today.

maryofdoom

• Stubble
  • Jeopardy! loser since 2010
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2013, 05:02:25 PM »
Popped some tags at the thrift shop

Does that mean you looked up the going rate on Amazon, or something else?

Kudy, that's exactly it. I have a little side business going where I find books at the Goodwill that sell for certain amounts on Amazon. I use a Pocket PC and a scanner to scan the barcodes, then set my pricing triggers, and if something trips the appropriate combination of sale price and sales rank, then I buy it, take it home, list it, and wait for it to sell. I don't always find $160 books, but when it happens, it's pretty great.

William

• Stubble
    • First Quarter Finance
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2013, 05:18:26 PM »
1. Later I will cut my own hair (first time... eek!)
2. Kept thermostat at 56*F
3. Update my net worth spreadsheet
4. Planned my bike route for next week's excursion
5. Fix my bike (the pedal fell on in an intersection... now that's an eek!)
6. Decide where to put my 401(k) within Vanguard
7. Decide what to do with my current liquid savings
8. Look into a new real estate investment
9. Consider buying a cow to save money on meat (I live in Nebraska)
10. Call sonicare and try to get a refund since my toothbrush turns on at random
11.  I could keep going honestly

Worsted Skeins

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2013, 05:23:15 PM »
My husband is working overtime so I am on my own much of the weekend.  I am knitting like my hair is on fire, trying to finish a pair of socks for my son's girlfriend.  He asked me to make these for her.  I think this means College Boy is serious.  Cute or what?

Anyway, an audio book from the library is entertaining me as I knit.

I have biga (starter) rising.  Tomorrow I'll make panini loaves using a recipe from King Arthur (http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/panini-bread-recipe). 

Happy frugal weekend to all!

Runner77

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2013, 05:36:33 PM »
Traded in my SUV for a car on MMM's recommended list. The car costed $14,500 and I received $37,500 for my SUV so the dealer gave me a check for $23K. Additional savings will come with cheaper insurance and best gas mileage.

Displaced

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2013, 06:17:14 PM »
Trying to convince DH to move to a cheaper state this summer instead of next.  Potential savings: $18,000+ for the year.

Spent $30 less on groceries this week.

Checked out Lorax from library instead of redbox: $1.27 savings I think.

BPA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2013, 06:26:24 PM »
We are staying home, watching movies on Netflix, and eating some of the food I prepared during the week.

Sounds like my weekend!

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2013, 06:36:29 PM »
I cleaned, did laundry, did our taxes. We're getting too much back, but I never know year to year what I'll make at my self-employed side gig, so we wanted extra withheld so we wouldn't get an unpleasant surprise now when every cent is going to the house build. Once the building inspector clears us to move in, probably in two weeks, I'll readjust our withholdings.

He painted in the new house, or rather he primed the walls for painting.

We ate leftovers.

mc6

• Stubble
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2013, 07:04:03 PM »
I had learned from a coworker recently that BB&B accepts expired coupons, good to know.  So today I purchased a proper laundry drying rack apparatus.  I had been using my dining room table and chairs, so I can dry lots more things at one time now.  I purchased 2 items and when I asked if I could use 2 BB&B coupons that I get in the mail like clockwork, the cashier said yes of course!  So I used 2 expired 20% off coupons on my 2 items and saved $6 or so. 

I emailed my new mortgage company about my error msgs when I tried using a promo code for $10 if I automated my payments.  I want my $10 dang it. 

Dee18

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2013, 10:10:12 PM »
A few weeks ago I found a free corporate sponsored one day program for high school girls to learn about computer programming and technology careers about a three hour drive away.  My daughter applied and got in. We went to that city last night, used reward points for the hotel, and had a picnic supper once we were settled in.  Today (after the included breakfast at the hotel) she went to the program while I went to Trader Joes (we don't have one) and then met an old friend for lunch and a visit to her home.  When I picked my daughter up, she was carrying the laptop computer  and software that she had just won in the end of the program raffle!  Even better, she is thinking more about a technology career.  Total cost for the trip:  $60.

LowER

• Stubble
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2013, 10:22:19 PM »
I worked an extra shift!

meadow lark

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2013, 10:38:13 PM »
Turned down the gas heater in my den, and cooked soup after reading the dumpster diving thread, and realizing I needed to cook my butternut squash, before they ended up in my own dumpster!

Kriegsspiel

« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2013, 10:57:13 PM »
Traded in my SUV for a car on MMM's recommended list. The car costed $14,500 and I received $37,500 for my SUV so the dealer gave me a check for $23K. Additional savings will come with cheaper insurance and best gas mileage.

I did the exact same thing! 

And hey, William, cutting your own hair is fucking great.  I actually get compliments now.  The first time, of course, my coworker pointed out a patch that I missed, but you get really good at it after a few tries.  While I was selling my car, the chick buying it even said I looked younger than my license picture (with a full head of hair, clean shaven [I rock a 3 guard on top now, and a 1-guarded beard])

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2013, 11:14:18 PM »
Did laundry, did not use the drier and used home made laundry liquid and vinegar in the rinse. Baked my own bread and made sandwiches for the lunches for the week. Made my own yoghurt. Cooked some food for the upcoming week. Cleaned out and used up food threatening to go off in fridge. Tended the vege garden and harvested cucumber, rocket, silver beet, lettuce and herbs. Weeded the garden and fed the guinea pigs the weeds. Added to my Bokashi bin to make fertiliser and drained the tea and fertilised the garden. Tended the compost pile from the guinea pig bedding. Started to erect another frame to net the veges to keep the wallabies out. Lit the wood fire as we had a cold night. Went for a swim in the free sea pool even though it was raining....Discovered I had lost another 0.5kg keeping me on target with weight loss on my plan to lose weight, buy no clothes in 2013 and shop my wardrobe of thinner clothes. Refused to buy pizza for Sat night dinner in spite of demands of the hungry ): teenager.

Started roughing out an itinerary for a possible holiday at the end of the year involving camping/low cost accommodation. Meant to be starting my tax return...hopefully theres still time tonight.

N

• Handlebar Stache
  • You must change your life. -Rainer Maria Rilke
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2013, 11:24:38 PM »
today we took the kids to swim at the free public indoor pool. ate all our meals at home. I picked up a free pass from the library to a nature museum to use later this week. Im doing my meal plan for the week and trying to use up pantry and freezer items.

Im also working on some ideas to make some money running workshops at one of our local homeschool coop days.

I checked out a free kindle book from my library, and watched a netflix movie.

tomorrow I need to go to the market for produce, but I think I already have enough meat for the week.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2013, 06:35:28 AM »
Cut my hair - I haven't paid for this in years for either of us!
Volunteered at the community theater = free fun
Finished up an MBA class, only 2 to go!  This has a huge potential to increase my income in the next 6 months or so!
Looked at replacement cars, we're discouraged and may try and keep this one running for a few more years - I'll start a thread on that cause I have questions.

minnie1928

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2013, 09:55:33 AM »
Friday night I rented 2 movies at redbox using a coupon and then later today I'll be taking my daughter to the art museum.  I've never been there and she really wants to go.  I'm saving money by going this weekend when my husband are son are away.  It we went as a family it would be $60+ and the boys wouldn't be as interested in it anyway.

The sun is also out so I've opened up the curtains and blinds to let some nice sunlight (heat) in.  I live in the pacific northwest, so this is a fairly rare thing for this time of the year.  I'll also be bumping the heat down while we're gone.

But the biggest thing is that I'll be returning my cable box to Comcrap on the way back from the museum.  I only pay about $15/mth for cable, but we never watch it and on the few times we've tried lately the stupid box doesn't work.  No point in paying for something we don't actually use so it's going back!

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2013, 10:48:46 AM »
Just cut my hair too. I am getting to the point where the whole thing takes under 20 minutes, pre-rinse and shower included, with just 2 minutes of my SO's time to do the finishing trim behind the ears and the back of the neck. Booyah!

kudy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2013, 11:03:26 AM »
I really need to stop being a chicken and try out this "cut my own hair" thing...

Think it'd work with my beard trimmer?

I rode my bike to the gym yesterday, as usual, but then went out and had a night on the town last night, so not really a money saving venture - but it was a blast!

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2013, 11:16:40 AM »
Think it'd work with my beard trimmer?
Probably depends on the kind of hair and trimmer. But seriously, this dirt-cheap kit was paid for after just two haircuts (assuming a $15 haircut). It's most likely not a buy it for life purchase, but if you oil the kit regularly and don't abuse it, it should last you a while.

GoStumpy

• Stubble
    • YNAB = The ultimate budgeting software
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2013, 11:35:35 AM »
I have a dog grooming set, will that work? LOL!

This weekend I'm going to break down and buy some new pants... haven't bought pants in probably a year or more... Value Village here I come!  Thought about ordering some online from Old Navy, but I like to see & feel them before I buy...

Other than that the weather is good so we'll be taking the dog out a bunch, dog park, walk through the forest, perhaps bust out the chainsaw and cut down a few dead trees if the wife will let me :)   I'd LOVE to have a little fire in the back yard if I get some dry wood to burn!

Hotstreak

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2013, 12:01:59 PM »
I'm fixing up my car this weekend!  The cheapest shop around wants $700 to replace a damaged bumper cover and re-blend the paint to quarter panel from a fender bender last week.  I say no thanks!  I'm meeting up with a friend to pound out the dent and bond together where it gashed open.  We're going to use our own hammers to straiten the very slightly warped quarter panel, put a new bolt securing that to the bumper cover, and use some touch up paint to make it all look good once it's dried.

Total cost:
$2 @ the hardware store
$15 for touch up paint

Total savings: $680!               

jrhampt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2013, 01:17:37 PM »
I just finished doing our taxes.  Now I will relax with a good library book in front of the fire.

Flynlow

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2013, 01:23:28 PM »
Two of my blankets/quilts had 5-6" splits along an edge seam.  After gathering my courage reading:

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/share-your-badassity/my-secret-and-successful-journey-to-making-my-own-clothes/msg53451/#msg53451

I busted out a small repair kit that came with one of my dress shirts a million years ago.  Some needle and thread and an hour on the couch listening to some tunes and they're fixed! 

Far from perfect, since I haven't sewn since a mandatory middle school class, but I'm pleased as can be!  Using that motivation, I patched a piece of velcro that had torn off the closure on the arm of my motorcycle jacket. 

Also spent some time in the garage working on the car, but 34F was just too cold to work comfortably, and I was splitting knuckes and breaking bolts.  Going to delay replacing the wheel bearings on my car until it warms up a little next week. 

the fixer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2013, 02:04:08 PM »
Repaired a busted seam in my trekking pants from December, listed a couple things on ebay, moved some cash into bonds to get a bit more return, seam sealed a new tent, took pictures of the old one to sell on Gear Trade.

I now have two pieces of luggage with damage that should be covered by their lifetime warranties. This is a bummer because I discovered the second one this morning when I wanted to list it on ebay. So instead I identified where the nearest dealers are to get them repaired/replaced.

Also ran some errands, all by bike of course.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2013, 02:55:52 PM »
Taking the kids to the park and swapping baby items...gave a friend our infant carseat and bases (she's having twins, needs a second one) and in exchange got baby boy clothing...actually enough for four babies.  I could not do laundry for about 3 weeks with the number of 9 month onesies...

WhatMomWears

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • living joie de vivre
    • What Mom Wears
« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2013, 09:26:29 PM »
I'm adding that I made a ton of cards to use as birthday gifts for friends and family this month - used stuff I already had too :)

JT

• Stubble
« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2013, 10:55:58 PM »
We spent the weekend studying (me) and reading (son).  We went for some evening walks around a local park and fed the ducks.  I also turned the hot water cylinder off - as my curiosity is piqued to see if this saves more money than turning the temperature down.  Put some things on trade me (NZ ebay).  Saved $30 on the groceries and this was really pleasing as I thought it would be more than normal!!  Didn't drive the car much.  Killed off our home line and are now on 50G of broadband for $55 p/m.  The phone line and 20G of internet had cost $110 p/m.  This is rewarding.  I'm tidying up downstairs in preparation for getting a tenant.

Use it up, wear it out...

• Stubble
« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2013, 08:08:02 AM »
Spent the weekend participating in a Global Service Jam

Met new people, learned new skills, hosts provide meals & beer all weekend, and I was busy / entertained from 6PM Friday through 7 PM Sunday. Total cost to me: $31 ($16 for after-project beers, $15 for subway fare all 3 days).

mpbaker22

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2013, 08:43:44 AM »
1) Bought a 70s road bike for $12.50 at the thrift store.
2) Worked on some spreadsheets for a friend's non-profit.
3) Received beer for working spreadsheets
4) Went to library, got card (i had a card at the local library, this is a branch that needs a separate card), checked out ERE.
5) Helped move house full of furniture- received dinner and beer
6) Read part of "simple is beautiful" - This is a great book about simple living from the 70s(i think)
7) Worked on bike

These are just the mustachian/frugal items.

jeepbraah

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2013, 08:59:59 AM »
Its not saving money but going to my part time job for some extra income.

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2013, 09:10:40 AM »
- Took homemade goods to a party instead of buying something.
- I drove to the party instead of letting my wife drive (I get better gas mileage than she does).
- Used our ham radios (we're all licensed) to stay in contact with another friend going the same place (unable to share a ride due to other commitments afterwards) instead of burning minutes from our pre-paid cellphone.

Worsted Skeins

• Bristles
« Reply #47 on: March 04, 2013, 09:41:09 AM »
Need to add to my earlier post:  My twenty year old dryer quite producing heat about a month ago.  I like hanging laundry so I have been gladly doing that but with heavy duty pollen season around the corner I knew that I had to consider either a dryer repair or replacement

We have a mechanically minded friend who paid  a call yesterday. (He and his wife occasionally do some maintenance things for us.)  Friend diagnosed the problem:  thermal cutoff; part ordered.  The price of his house call was a liter of homebrew.  I'll slip him some cash after the part arrives and he returns to replace it.

I'll still hang laundry but am happy to have the dryer for occasional use.  Happier to keep the old one going and add to the income stream of our friends.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #48 on: March 04, 2013, 10:50:04 AM »
Werq.

momo

• Stubble
« Reply #49 on: March 04, 2013, 11:03:00 AM »
Completely cleaned out the garage and gathered $500+ worth of merchandise that was unused and unopened. Promptly returned everything to CostCo. Installed an almost new electrical stovetop that I bought on Craigslist. Promptly returned an extra one ordered from HomeDepot for full refund $600 AND did not have to pay the restocking fee. Also clean house and collect over $1000 worth of mechandise to sell and/or donate. Overall a productive weekend! Cheers!