Author Topic: What are the best ways to make money on the side  (Read 6078 times)

dafoe1999

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
What are the best ways to make money on the side
« on: December 09, 2013, 03:21:30 AM »
I am looking for some ideas on how to make money on the side.

Thanks

bawaboy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: What are the best ways to make money on the side
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 07:17:18 AM »
One of the best ways to make extra income is to expand a hobby. It's easier and more motivating to take a hobby to the next level and producing income vs forcing yourself into something that doesn't interest you.

I enjoy sports and became a certified basketball official. I referee middle school thru varsity high school and make $400 a week all thru the winter. I am also a sports card enthusiast and buy/sell/trade cards for another $200-250 per week.  It really doesn't feel like work because I enjoy both hobbies but it definitely fattens the wallet. :)

hybrid

• Handlebar Stache
  • A hybrid of MMM and thoughtful consumer.
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 07:36:49 AM »
Fellow MMMer smallife ref on the side as well.  I work in IT, so it was pretty easy to take my computer skills and charge folks $50 an hour to do basic computer work on the side.  Better service for the client and cheaper than Geek Squad, so it's a win-win for both parties.  I only bring in a few hundred a month at the moment, but I could ramp this up as required at any point, there is quite the supply of work out there for someone willing to chase it.  It's nice to have something to fall back on if needed.

SnackDog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 08:17:33 AM »
Depends on your appetite for risk. And your morals!

fmzip

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 08:32:11 AM »
I buy and sell select car parts on Ebay, Car forums, and Craigslist.

Just a few weeks back, bought some wheels for $400 locally, sold them for $675. Last week, I bought a windscreen for a convertible for $150, two days later sold it for $275.

I typically get a 50-100% return on my investment. The typical hold time on inventory can be a week to a few months. Very easy to do if you have knowledge of a specific market or item and some cash to play with.

Anti-ComplainyPants

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 08:48:07 AM »
I enjoy sports and became a certified basketball official. I referee middle school thru varsity high school and make $400 a week all thru the winter.
This is brilliant - I love sports and have thought on several occasions that I'd enjoy reffing. To you and Hybrid, how might one go about finding referee certification?

Mojo

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2013, 09:20:28 AM »
I enjoy sports and became a certified basketball official. I referee middle school thru varsity high school and make $400 a week all thru the winter. I am also a sports card enthusiast and buy/sell/trade cards for another $200-250 per week.  It really doesn't feel like work because I enjoy both hobbies but it definitely fattens the wallet. :)

You brave soul, you!  I refereed middle school boys and girls basketball for a year.  I learned I don't have a thick enough skin for it, even at that level (let alone varsity high school games!)  Good for you though.  Reffing takes some serious cojones!

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2013, 09:27:00 AM »
Whatever you're already good at, try to get paid for it. It'd be pretty hard to learn something completely new just to get some money.

Alternatively, I know people who take part-time odd jobs for perks. One of my friends works in a movie theater on the side because he gets to see all the movies he wants. Stuff that doesn't require any extra knowledge. Downside is these jobs tend to be low pay.

fiveoh

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2013, 11:00:50 AM »
One of the best ways to make extra income is to expand a hobby. It's easier and more motivating to take a hobby to the next level and producing income vs forcing yourself into something that doesn't interest you.

Where do you buy/sell cards at?  I've got a ton of old baseball cards sitting in my closet.

Bullseye

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2013, 05:16:38 AM »
Slightly different thought...what about bartering for things you already pay for, to reduce your costs?  I do some accounting work for an art studio I wanted my kids to go to more often, and to their martial arts club.  I built a simple WordPress site for my crossfit studio in exchange for 40 free classes.

This is really better than earning extra money, as bartering is tax free, and income is not.

Ottawa

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2013, 06:15:57 AM »
Here's an innovative way to make $50 per hour!  I like this guy's initiative.  Especially if he were to fully provide his service using solar power. 

http://finance4artists.blogspot.ca/2010/06/entrepreneurship.html

Greg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2013, 08:37:51 AM »
Depends on your skills.

Can you do a good job of painting a room?  I know a teacher who is a painter in the summer.

Can you work on cars?  I do this for friends on the side.

Any carpentry skills?  Other household skills like plumbing?  Handyman services are often needed.  Some areas this requires a special license, and at least in my area officials have sort of cracked down on this in terms of licensing and other requirements.

I know people who've turned their penchant for gardening and yard work into a job.  Likewise organization and errand-running.  For the too-busy-to-do-it-themselves set.

Everything in Moderation

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2013, 09:21:49 AM »
I buy kid size wood furniture on Craigslist and at garage sales, sand it, and paint it bright colors.  It sells for more than double on craigslist.  I really enjoy doing it and can work on it on my own time.  Also, my niece's get great gifts from me, not some crapy plastic toy.