Author Topic: What are my options being a reasonable person?  (Read 2643 times)

debbie does duncan

• Stubble
What are my options being a reasonable person?
« on: June 14, 2020, 10:39:59 AM »
I hired a roofer to re shingle my roof. He came recommended and was in the same ball park as the other quotes. He asked me what shingle I wanted on the roof....I told him, sent an email too. Now I find he has put on the front half of the garage something different. It kinda matters bc the back half of the garage was re shingled 2 yrs ago by my brother with my choice of shingle a light colour. The new colour is slightly noticeable to me bc I know the problem. He has to come back on  Monday to do the house roof , front and back. What would are my options?

BNgarden

• Pencil Stache
Re: What are my options being a reasonable person?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2020, 11:02:28 AM »
Is it possible the manufacturer changed the colour or there is a difference in 'runs' of the same colour?  Perhaps he used the specified product and it just isn't a match.

ETA: Or, perhaps the sun angle changes how it looks, and / or sun over 2 years has bleached the other side a bit?

Papa bear

• Handlebar Stache
What are my options being a reasonable person?
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2020, 11:29:43 AM »
Go look at a bundle of shingles and make sure it’s what you paid for.  If he cheaped out on the shingles, I’d be pissed and wonder what else wasn’t done right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

debbie does duncan

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2020, 11:35:52 AM »
It is a total different name   "xyz" and I asked for "abc". Yes there are 2 less shingles in the bundles he is using but it is the same type of shingle. I was across the street looking at the new versus old and it is hard to tell the difference in colour. Neighbour came out and said HI....he could not notice the difference either.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2020, 12:09:16 PM »
He may have had some squares left from a previous job.

If it's the same quality and a close match in color, I wouldn't worry about it.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2020, 12:48:15 PM »
It is a total different name   "xyz" and I asked for "abc". Yes there are 2 less shingles in the bundles he is using but it is the same type of shingle. I was across the street looking at the new versus old and it is hard to tell the difference in colour. Neighbour came out and said HI....he could not notice the difference either.
If you asked for and paid for abc, then he needs to install abc. Unless you think you really can be okay with xyz, in which case I’d ask for a discount because it isn’t what you agreed upon.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2020, 12:50:34 PM »
To my mind, a reasonable person would just ask the guy why he used xyz instead of abc. There might be a good reason that you're not aware of, like this is a newer type of shingle with better properties? I wouldn't get too wound up about a tiny colour difference, if no one else can tell.

BNgarden

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2020, 12:58:11 PM »
By all means, if it's a different name, ask him why that was used. 

There may be some change in name and colour at the manufacturer and this was the closest match?  I only mention these possibilities since changes in process / dye lots on other products where we had installations done meant colour was a bit off.  And because I would want to approach the situation with curiousity and a 'how do we solve this issue' tone vs an accusatory one (the latter is my default, so I have to guard against it--not saying it's yours!).

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2020, 01:01:09 PM »
By all means, if it's a different name, ask him why that was used. 

There may be some change in name and colour at the manufacturer and this was the closest match?  I only mention these possibilities since changes in process / dye lots on other products where we had installations done meant colour was a bit off.  And because I would want to approach the situation with curiousity and a 'how do we solve this issue' tone vs an accusatory one (the latter is my default, so I have to guard against it--not saying it's yours!).
Yes, this is the right way to start out. Better than my advice above.

Roe

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2020, 10:58:18 AM »
I agree with starting with asking him. However, I would have been annoyed even if there was a good explanation. If I ask abc that's because I want abc, if he feels there is a better alternative it's information I would appriciate. But to simply go ahead with xyz...

Then again, not sure how resonable I am.

debbie does duncan

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2020, 06:23:19 AM »
Thank you for the replys. I asked and it is pretty much the same shingle. It is an old roof shingle and things have changed in production.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2020, 07:12:12 AM »
Thanks for the follow up. I’m glad it was that easy.

rab-bit

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2020, 08:29:04 AM »
Also glad to hear that it worked out, but all of this could have been avoided if he had just cleared the change with you before he ordered and installed them. It seems like a trivial thing to do to avoid misunderstandings.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2020, 08:30:36 AM by rab-bit »

x02947

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2020, 10:19:00 AM »
Glad you were able to take care of it a reasonable manner and that it worked out. 

Although I think it's not good business to be paid for "explicitly X" and switch to "equivalent Y" without informing the customer.  Even though it is "pretty much" the same, all it takes is a 3 minute phone call to give the customer a heads up.  No big deal. 

It's reasons like this that I don't trust people to work on my stuff, even when they are fully competent.  If I say I want X, it's because I have reasons, and you may not be aware of my reasons. 

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2020, 05:35:25 PM »
Glad you were able to take care of it a reasonable manner and that it worked out. 

Although I think it's not good business to be paid for "explicitly X" and switch to "equivalent Y" without informing the customer.  Even though it is "pretty much" the same, all it takes is a 3 minute phone call to give the customer a heads up.  No big deal. 

It's reasons like this that I don't trust people to work on my stuff, even when they are fully competent.  If I say I want X, it's because I have reasons, and you may not be aware of my reasons.

On the other hand, if you're paying a professional to do a job, it makes sense to utilise their expertise. Just because you're paying does not always mean you have made the best decision for yourself. Of course, this comes down to communication on the part of the professional. I'd personally be seriously annoyed if a professional blindly followed my lead, when I am clearly not the expert!

frugs

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2020, 09:53:38 PM »
Nobody looks at the roof. Nobody will notice it is a slightly different color and after a week you will forget about it.

x02947

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2020, 06:28:42 AM »

On the other hand, if you're paying a professional to do a job, it makes sense to utilise their expertise. Just because you're paying does not always mean you have made the best decision for yourself. Of course, this comes down to communication on the part of the professional. I'd personally be seriously annoyed if a professional blindly followed my lead, when I am clearly not the expert!

Yes, you are absolutely correct!  Sorry I wasn't clear.  It's the lack of communication before the job is done that bothers me.  I generally don't give professionals/experts precise instructions- I generally give them guidelines and let them do their thing!  But when I *do* give precise instructions, it's for a reason, and I would really like a heads up *first* if they don't follow it.  If they have a better idea, or reasons to not do what I want, that's generally fine, but let me know first!