Author Topic: What are Mustachians' cheap and effective allergy remedies?  (Read 4612 times)

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
My allergies are flaring up in the form of a stopped up, wet right sinus and itchy, running eyes.  I have gone off my Allegra and Zirtec due to concern for my liver.  I'm now snorting Rhinocort/Flonase vice pill popping.   I'm using my netipot and drinking teas of course.   What are Mustachians' cheap and effective allergy remedies? 

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
Re: What are Mustachians' cheap and effective allergy remedies?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 03:17:57 PM »
I can have terrible seasonal allergies. I get a Rx for Omnaris spray and use it. Cost is low relative to effectiveness. I only use it when I have symptoms and stop once they are resolved.

Lski'stash

• Pencil Stache
    • A Teacher's Journey to FI in the Mitten State
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2017, 07:00:22 PM »
I test positive for ALL environmental allergies.

My doctor prescribes me allergra D so I can get it cheaper through my insurance rather than over-the-counter. I also highly suggest using a Neilmed rinsekit with distilled water- make sure it's the squirt bottle type. It gets the allergies out of the nose much better than a netty pot. https://www.amazon.com/NeilMed-Neilmed-Sinus-Rinse-Kit/dp/B00MY5Q1SY/ref=sr_1_6_s_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1494291505&sr=1-6&keywords=neilmed+sinus+rinse

Nasalcort is my favorite spray right now, I will use that only when needed. Really, the sinus rinses are the best for most allergies and you can use them on an as needed basis.

11ducks

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2017, 06:11:20 AM »
Nasonex is good.
I have a dust mite allergy. I sleep much better when I weekly wash all sheets/towels/duvet covers with eucalyptus wash, put it In a hot dryer (we line dry everything else)- and hang pillows/quilt on the line in the sun for the day.
I vacuum the mattress and spray it with a dust mite eucalyptus spray before putting it back together. Also have an air filter/humidifier for the bedroom.

I definitely struggle at the start of spring (headaches, tired, Sinuses).

alewpanda

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2017, 05:23:09 PM »
Many agree that local foods like fruits, veggies, and even cows milk will help because all those foods will carry traces and various forms of environment allergens due to being produced in the area.  They build up natural immunity.

Herbal teas are a must; with local, raw honey.  The honey will also carry the allergens and be a quicker way to build up immunity.

Cut back on sugars.  They inflame the immune system even more.

Lots of sleep; cool compresses on head and eyes; Take a full day every few to stay indoors as much as possible to 'recover'. 

I moved for college to a state with terrible, terrible environmental allergens.  People who never have had allergies react strongly as soon as moving....   It took a couple years, but now I can limit my allergy meds to a month period during the 'start' of fall....mid-August to early September, and can go the rest of the year sans allergy meds.  But it took all of the above steps until I had built up enough of a natural immunity and a healthier immune system to do it.  Otherwise, I took meds most of the year...unless there was ice on the ground.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2017, 05:30:19 PM »
Do you have a Costco nearby? They now have their own generic of Flonase! 5 bottles for... I think it was seriously like $20-$30.

Thinkum

• Pencil Stache
  • Life is Good
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2017, 05:39:01 PM »
I would suggest doing a nose wash/irrigation as often as you need. I use a recipe my Dr gave me that is super cheap to make and yet super effective. You can get a bulb style nose wash bottle and squeeze the fluid into your nostrils or get a neti pot. Either way, it helps keep allergens out of your sinuses. I used to use Flonase, but much prefer natural methods to medicine.

I would also echo what alewpanda says about building up an environmental immunity with local foods, especially honey.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2017, 05:45:22 PM »
Local honey makes sense at first glance, but it hasn't help up. And apparently the pollen that bees like (from flowers) is not the kind that most people with allergies are allergic to (which is from grass, trees, weeds, etc.).

pk_aeryn

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2017, 12:55:40 AM »
Vitamin D in high amounts is an immune suppressant, I find my allergies are much better taking fairly high dose/blood level. You'll have to work with a doctor probably to find the amount that's right for you.

(Before anyone says this is incorrect, most internet things will say vitamin d "boosts" the immune system, but in large amounts it suppresses immune responses and that's what allergies are, overactive immune system. There's many misnomers about boosting immune system for allergies but we want the opposite)

ringer707

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2017, 06:35:09 AM »
+1 on honey not helping me. I still like it, but it did nothing to improve my allergies. Also, for those of you using Flonase, I discovered that my insurance covers it for free if I get a prescription for it instead of paying the $9-$11 a bottle over the counter.

I know many of us try to limit our use of AC/heat and open our windows to conserve energy and money, but I've just found it's something I cannot do for a few weeks in the spring. I love having my windows open and especially sleeping with them open out here in the country, but I was waking up with terrible sore throats and post-nasal drip. It improved significantly once I closed the windows and turned the AC or a fan on.

11ducks, I'm going to look for some of that eucalyptus spray. I have terrible dust mite allergies too. Starting to wash my sheets every week instead of biweekly as helped, but sometimes I have a flare up out of nowhere that knocks me back a step.

Ebrat

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2017, 07:17:08 AM »
We've had a lot of luck with raw local honey, a small spoonful first thing in the morning.

Drifterrider

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2017, 08:46:24 AM »
My allergies are flaring up in the form of a stopped up, wet right sinus and itchy, running eyes.  I have gone off my Allegra and Zirtec due to concern for my liver.  I'm now snorting Rhinocort/Flonase vice pill popping.   I'm using my netipot and drinking teas of course.   What are Mustachians' cheap and effective allergy remedies?

Something I've ready from multiple sources:  eat locally produced honey.  The pollen used to make it is the same pollen to which you are allergic. Your body builds its own antibodies.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2017, 11:27:51 AM »
Costco, particularly when there's a circular in effect.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2017, 11:46:22 AM »
Generic Flonase spray from Costco is working really well and is very inexpensive.  It seems to work better than Nasacort (which would give me nosebleeds too), especially for itchy eyes.  I ditched allergy pills a couple of years ago and switched to nasal sprays.  Much better!

brycedoula

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2017, 11:55:00 AM »
As the spouse of an allergy sufferer:
-can you spend a little extra to get really good furnace filters? 3M has a wide variety of different options.
-depending on how much time you spend outside you may need to rinse off multiple times per day (especially if you bike-commute). Keep your hands well-washed and try to avoid touching your eyes, nose & mouth.
-(not a cheap option but)can you get rid of the carpet in your residence, if you have it? My husband's allergies improved once we tore out all the carpet & replaced with LVP flooring.

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
    • KOWines: Deep discount wine/spirits store.
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2017, 01:10:42 PM »
If you have nasal allergies, I highly recommend a Neti Pot.

I have zero sinus infections per year  since I started using a neti pot. Previously, my allergies would degrade into sinus troubles resulting in the use of antibiotics a couple of times a year.

http://www.webmd.com/allergies/neti-pots#1

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2017, 01:15:28 PM »
...-(not a cheap option but) can you get rid of the carpet in your residence, if you have it? My husband's allergies improved once we tore out all the carpet & replaced with LVP flooring.
As a person happily retired from the flooring industry and a lover of all types of flooring, including LVP, I must strongly disagree with this statement. Carpet is currently "out" for a number of reasons, but removing it does not guarantee fewer allergy problems.

Here's why: carpet actually traps dust and holds it low to the ground. Hard surface flooring cannot do so. Walking through rooms full of hard floors actually stirs up more dust and allows it to float higher. This is easily seen when walking through a room when the sun's rays are streaming in at an angle.

Rather than tearing out perfectly good carpet, have it thoroughly cleaned, then vacuum it regularly with a good vacuum. Much cheaper on the wallet and the environment. Now, if your carpet is filthy and threadbare, that's a different story. Be mindful that tearing out perfectly good carpet because it's not "in" is dangerously close to hedonistic adaptation.

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
    • KOWines: Deep discount wine/spirits store.
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2017, 07:48:32 PM »
...-(not a cheap option but) can you get rid of the carpet in your residence, if you have it? My husband's allergies improved once we tore out all the carpet & replaced with LVP flooring.
As a person happily retired from the flooring industry and a lover of all types of flooring, including LVP, I must strongly disagree with this statement. Carpet is currently "out" for a number of reasons, but removing it does not guarantee fewer allergy problems.

Here's why: carpet actually traps dust and holds it low to the ground. Hard surface flooring cannot do so. Walking through rooms full of hard floors actually stirs up more dust and allows it to float higher. This is easily seen when walking through a room when the sun's rays are streaming in at an angle.

Rather than tearing out perfectly good carpet, have it thoroughly cleaned, then vacuum it regularly with a good vacuum. Much cheaper on the wallet and the environment. Now, if your carpet is filthy and threadbare, that's a different story. Be mindful that tearing out perfectly good carpet because it's not "in" is dangerously close to hedonistic adaptation.

Dicey, it is not the dust the people are allergic to. It is the dust-mite doo-doo. Dust mites love carpets (and mattresses, so get wash your comforters/sheets in hot water).

I am severely allergic to dust mites, so tearing out the carpet and putting in wood made a world of a change to me.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2017, 10:16:50 AM »
Generic Flonase spray from Costco is working really well and is very inexpensive.  It seems to work better than Nasacort (which would give me nosebleeds too), especially for itchy eyes.  I ditched allergy pills a couple of years ago and switched to nasal sprays.  Much better!

+1 for not liking Nasacort. Fortunately, I had bought it at Costco and they gave me my money back and sold me Flonase instead :-).

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2017, 10:49:07 PM »
At Costco I get the Claratin-D generic: Allerclear-D (Kirkland Brand)

It's relatively cheap, and I find psuedophedrine is the best thing for letting me sleep without congestion. Kind of a pain because there are limits on how much you can buy at a time. Not for everyone, can have side effects, talk to your doctor, etc.