Author Topic: What Age Do You Use?  (Read 1879 times)

foghorn

• Stubble
What Age Do You Use?
« on: July 07, 2018, 08:12:50 AM »
MMM Crew;

I am curious as to what age folks use when estimating their success rate with tools like FIRECalc? 

For example, I am 51 years old and I enter 49 years (for how long I need my stash to last).  By using 49 years, that takes me to living to be 100.  I do not actually think I will live that long.  Family history makes me think early 90's is more likely.  Of course, this is the "great unknown" and we could all go at any time.

I use 100 years old as another "safety factor" when doing my calculations to pressure test how long my stash may last.  So, for those of you that think about this stuff, what number do you use?  Do you use an age this likely beyond reasonable to cover more uncertainty?  Thanks for reading this and I look forward to replies.

TheWifeHalf

• Pencil Stache
Re: What Age Do You Use?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2018, 01:45:57 PM »
When we enter an age for anything like that, we use 100.
TheHusbandHalf's DNA points to him living an average age, but mine makes one believe I'm going to live to 100.  I have a paternal Grandfather that lived to 96. My maternal Grandmother, and her 2 sisters, died when the were 95 or older. I can't imagine I'll live that long, but we have to prepare for it.