10 (3.8%)
31-35
0 (0%)
36+
2 (0.8%)
Still with parents
10 (3.8%)

Total Members Voted: 252

Author Topic: What age did you move out?  (Read 33007 times)

Beric01

• Handlebar Stache
  • Law-abiding cyclist
Re: What age did you move out?
« Reply #50 on: February 06, 2015, 04:41:21 PM »
I moved out at 22.

Through age 19, I lived at home, attending community college. 20-21, I transferred as a junior to a state college, which was around 3 hours from my hometown. I graduated at 21 with several job offers back near my home, so I moved back in with my parents for 6 months until I managed to get an apartment. I was on the waiting list for 6 months (Silicon Valley living is crazy)! Been in my current apartment for 2 years now and it's been good, though rent in this area sucks and I admit I have longings for free rent again. :D

MBot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #51 on: February 06, 2015, 05:04:32 PM »
18 in 2003. Didn't go back.

Paying for a room and a bus pass on a minimum wage job is easy. Establishing yourself as an adult is hard.

It was much easier to get a minimum wage job in the big city my university was in than to move home and then have to look for a job. 

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #52 on: February 06, 2015, 05:14:35 PM »
About 19.  Went to college at 18, went home the first summer and worked 2 jobs to save money.  Back to sophomore year at 19, and never went back except to visit.  Worked on campus during the summers (and did my ROTC cruises) after that.

Ozstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #53 on: February 06, 2015, 05:23:58 PM »
15. I joined the military. Currently 46.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 04:35:45 PM by Ozstache »

someday

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #54 on: February 06, 2015, 05:26:11 PM »

Moved back home when I graduated college.  My parents supported and encouraged me to move back home in order to save up for a down payment on a home.  My old job also had me traveling a fair amount so it would've been an even bigger waste to be renting.

Bought my townhouse near the lows of the recent housing dip and moved out.  Here in the LA area, to live in a decent place you're looking at $500k easy.  How I'm supposed to come up with a $100k down payment on a $50k starting salary is beyond me. 

I got a good amount of flak for living at home, but I had a long term girlfriend so it wasn't too big a deal for me.  Living at home was a means to an end, and I achieved that end.  The housing market has rebounded very well in my area and my net worth has jumped significantly.  Had I rented and tried to save for a down at the same time, I would have been priced out of the market by the time I had anything saved.

I'm fortunate my parents were supportive of me living at home.  I am where I am today because of a bit of luck (market timing), a bit of generosity (my parents), a bit of perseverance (living at home in your 20s is not that easy...), and a bit of hard work (saving my money).

frugaldrummer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #55 on: February 06, 2015, 05:32:42 PM »
Moved out at 18, I started college at 17, so moved out for my second year at the local college.

I worked during undergrad (30 hours/week as a waitress at a coffee shop) and received Soc Security survivors benefits (my father was deceased.)

Mind you, this was the 70's, a time when wages were higher and cost of living was lower - it was pretty normal to move out at that age.  We also had lower expectations too though - I shared a house with 4 other students, ate a lot of rice and beans, didn't buy fast food or eat out, couldn't afford to buy a calculator until grad school (used my trusty circular slide rule), drove a used Pinto, etc.

At the time, I never considered staying home (even though I might have been able to save up some money by doing so?).  I had two younger siblings and no privacy for my sex life.  But mostly, I just wanted to be independent. 

Now I have one son living with me, working similar type job and hours, but he would never be able to afford to move out on his own on his income.  The minimum wage is a disgrace these days. 

Michael792

• Stubble
    • Rising Ascendant
« Reply #56 on: February 06, 2015, 05:38:15 PM »
I'm going to say 21. I lived at home off and on between 18 and that time, but permanently moved out at 21. I won't be going back now, not because my parents are terrible, but because it's my responsibility to live my own life. Before, I was not in a position to pay for all my responsibilities, so adding my own home was out of the question. When I get out of the Army, life will be much better.

Emilyngh

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #57 on: February 06, 2015, 05:40:36 PM »

I moved  to the college dorm and never went back.   The summer after my first year I got an apartment, job, and took more classes.   Even the first xmas break at school I spent only about a week with my parents and traveled around for the rest.   I was completely finished with being treated like a child.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 05:43:05 PM by Emilyngh »

Emilyngh

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #58 on: February 06, 2015, 05:42:08 PM »
Wait.....so, heading off to school even when parents are footing the bill equals 'moving out?'  To me "moving out" means leaving the nest and supporting oneself (and spouse if applicable).  I left home at 21 when I got married.  I never lived at home again from that point on (not for school breaks, in between jobs or whatever, we were on our own from the time we married) unlike several of my siblings who returned for various reasons over the years.  None have done so in at least 18 years now though.

Why do you assume that all of these 18 yr olds had parents footing the bill?   I certainly didn't.   

irishbear99

• Bristles
« Reply #59 on: February 06, 2015, 06:00:53 PM »
Wait.....so, heading off to school even when parents are footing the bill equals 'moving out?'

Well, the OP's question is when did you move out, not when did your parents stop supporting you.

tomita

• Stubble
« Reply #60 on: February 06, 2015, 06:05:08 PM »
moved out at 23 - left the country with DH, we (DH + DS1+DS2) returned when I was 30 and shared an appartment with my mom & Brother & SIL for 6 months , rented another apartment for 1 year & left the country again
and now ....DS1 left home at age 21

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #61 on: February 06, 2015, 06:12:25 PM »
18 to college.

tat96

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #62 on: February 06, 2015, 06:13:21 PM »
Went to basic training at 18 with $100 in my pocket.  Then went straight to Germany, Kosovo, and Iraq.  Got out went to college on the GIBill and got a degree.  Mother never paid a dime for my education (tuition, books, or living expenses). 

Lanthiriel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #63 on: February 06, 2015, 06:18:54 PM »
19. My parents paid my way through undergrad, so I don't count that as moving out. I lived with them for six weeks as I transitioned to a new city for grad school. I went through undergrad really fast and actually chose to no longer receive support from them at 19 because the emotional implications were too much to handle. Best choice I ever made; it's probably the only reason I can have a relationship with my parents now.

pancakes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #64 on: February 06, 2015, 07:47:14 PM »
I forgot to mention that I moved back home twice. First when our home flooded and we had no where to go while our place was being fixed up, and again before we moved to a different state, they offered so we wouldn't have to sign a new lease and then break it.

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #65 on: February 06, 2015, 08:16:41 PM »
I left for college at 17, but I went "home" for weekends and holidays and spent a summer there between junior and senior year. June-August after college I worked a summer camp across country and my stuff lived with my parents. In August I moved into my graduate school apartment and the next time I came to visit, I was a guest and I had a different "home". A year later, they moved cross-country.

So, 21. :) I don't think it's fair to say I "moved out" if I came back for several weeks to a month after, without another address, even if I was living separately most of the year.

Exprezchef

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #66 on: February 06, 2015, 08:48:14 PM »
Went to basic training at 18 with $100 in my pocket.  Then went straight to Germany, Kosovo, and Iraq.  Got out went to college on the GIBill and got a degree.  Mother never paid a dime for my education (tuition, books, or living expenses).

Similar situation for me. I graduated HS in June on 1986 and was in Navy boot camp in August of 1986. I never moved back home or asked for a dime from my parents, although the offer for both would have always been there if needed. My younger brothers on the other hand left fighting and screaming when they were "graciously" asked to leave a few years after they graduated.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #67 on: February 06, 2015, 09:25:31 PM »
17th birthday - basically as early as I could w/o being declared a "runaway." Started working when I was 14 so I could GTFO. Never went back. Paid my way through a B.S., another 2 years of undergrad, an M.S. and a PhD by working full time and going to school. Won a  4 year scholarship for my doctorate.  My mind boggles at being supported through college or living at home until 24 or whatever. (I do plan to pay for my kid's college and they can stay w/ me as long as they want... w/in reason.)

TN_Steve

• Bristles
« Reply #68 on: February 06, 2015, 10:00:44 PM »
I'm answering for my sons, who are likely more relevant than DW and I.  All three were dropped off at the airport for freshman year in their respective colleges.  They each came home for a week or two at christmas, and generally visited for a week or two in the summer, but paid their taxes in their respective college states, and had licenses there.  Thus, although we paid for undergrad, they essentially "moved out" at 18. 

As for as being off the dole, that was four years later, when they graduated from their schools with BS or BA. 

(back in the dark ages, DW and I spent summers at our folks, so we didn't move out until after college)

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #69 on: February 06, 2015, 11:18:50 PM »
Wow, a lot of really early leavers here! Is it normal in the States for people to move interstate for college? Here in Aus it seems most people study in their home state (maybe in another city, especially for regional students).

For me it was 25. A little later than some (although I've heard of people living at home until their thirties), but I was financially ready to do so then. I don't count the six months I was living on student residences at 18-19 as moved out. I went to study twice, worked a traineeship and a number of casual jobs, and spent a little while unemployed in the meantime.

For the last 18 months or so of it I had a fairly lengthy commute (they live in a regional area), and was looking for a share place on/off. Eventually found a place, moved, and cut my commute by two-thirds :)

I still have a good relationship with my parents, but I wouldn't move back there again.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 11:20:56 PM by alsoknownasDean »

Bookworm

« Reply #70 on: February 07, 2015, 12:55:33 AM »
I was 19, and I got married.

astvilla

• Stubble
« Reply #71 on: February 07, 2015, 06:45:57 AM »
Wow, a lot of really early leavers here! Is it normal in the States for people to move interstate for college? Here in Aus it seems most people study in their home state (maybe in another city, especially for regional students).

For me it was 25. A little later than some (although I've heard of people living at home until their thirties), but I was financially ready to do so then. I don't count the six months I was living on student residences at 18-19 as moved out. I went to study twice, worked a traineeship and a number of casual jobs, and spent a little while unemployed in the meantime.

For the last 18 months or so of it I had a fairly lengthy commute (they live in a regional area), and was looking for a share place on/off. Eventually found a place, moved, and cut my commute by two-thirds :)

I still have a good relationship with my parents, but I wouldn't move back there again.

US is a big country, many towns, cities, suburbs so you more or less have to move out. Australia is just cities, technically don't have to for college.

24, still living with parents, plan to move out at 25.

I'm hoping most of the younger movers are already much older than I am, I feel it's a demographic change where people are staying at home for longer. My reason is just purely financial, I want to build a nest egg and it wouldn't have been possible if I had moved out. Actually I moved out from home at 18 and moved back when I was 23. Used last year of school to stay home, save parents and myself money and now staying home to save some more. Now I have a little over 50K total net worth. If I had moved out when I got a job, I'd have 40K or high 30K. I'm torn between staying home more to save more but also wanting to move out because society pressures me and I partly want to. 2 conflicting feelings but I'm going to move out...eventually.

briandougherty

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #72 on: February 07, 2015, 07:19:43 AM »
I left for undergrad... came back for grad school... left for overseas job... came back for summer... moved out forever at 23.

I've never been in the camp that things there is anything wrong with living at home. Since I was a teenager I always had to earn my own spending money so I wasn't a 22 year old asking for cash.  I've noticed with some of the older adults I've met at work that their kids have moved out but they give their kids money for all kinds of things.  Maybe it's bias towards my own experience, but I think it's much better for parents to subsidize housing and food and make kids pay for everything else rather than have them move out and then come crying to you because their cell phone broke.

Edit: In my late 20's now.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 08:40:52 PM by briandougherty »

irishbear99

• Bristles
« Reply #73 on: February 07, 2015, 09:21:38 AM »
Wow, a lot of really early leavers here! Is it normal in the States for people to move interstate for college?

I'd say probably about 5 to 10% of my graduating class left the state for college (mostly fancypants ones, which necessitated moving away). The rest either stayed in state for college or joined the military. I don't know if that's a normal sample size across the US. Going in state wasn't an option for me, as I was trying to get out of a bad home situation. I didn't even apply to schools in state. I used college to establish my emotional and financial independence, and when I graduated moved half-way around the world.

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #74 on: February 07, 2015, 09:36:59 AM »
I left for undergrad... came back for grad school... left for overseas job... came back for summer... moved out forever at 23.

I've never been in the camp that things there is anything wrong with living at home. Since I was a teenager I always had to earn my own spending money so I wasn't a 22 year old asking for cash.  I've noticed with some of the older adults I've met at work that their kids have moved out but they give their kids money for all kinds of things.  Maybe it's bias towards my own experience, but I think it's much better for parents to subsidize housing and food and make kids pay for everything else rather than have them move out and then come crying to you because their cell phone broke.
I totally agree! My mom has said to me, and in conversation with other parents about her philosophy: "You can always come live with us, eat with us, but if you want to live somewhere else, that's on you." (Except college/dorms, they encouraged that.) And I'm sure if they could, they would help in a short term crisis. They just won't support an expensive and unproductive lifestyle indefinitely.

Albert

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #75 on: February 07, 2015, 11:35:15 AM »
I left at 23 for a grad school. Fortunately my parents lived within walking distance of my undergrad university so there was no need to live elsewhere.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #76 on: February 07, 2015, 11:47:09 AM »
17 when I went to college (1985).  Family paid for 1st semester college and board, and after that it was up to me. 
I went back home one time for Thanksgiving and stayed overnight.  Other than that, I never slept under that roof again. 

crazy jane

• Bristles
« Reply #77 on: February 07, 2015, 11:59:16 AM »
18 to attend college. I immediately got a waitressing job and paid for school myself. In 1984 that was very doable. I even sent my parents back some of the money that had been saved for me over the years from birthday and Christmas gifts because they were both unemployed during my freshman year.  Both of my kids are out of the house. They each spent at least one summer living with me in between years of college but were both aware that they would be charged rent if they needed to stay with me. Hooray Empty Nest!!!!

Albert

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #78 on: February 07, 2015, 12:09:01 PM »
It is stereotypically American to move out as soon as possible... My uncle lived with his parents all their lives. Grandmother died in her 90-ties few years ago and he with his wife also both now retired still live in the same place.

TN_Steve

• Bristles
« Reply #79 on: February 07, 2015, 12:13:04 PM »

US is a big country, many towns, cities, suburbs so you more or less have to move out. Australia is just cities, technically don't have to for college.

I'm hoping most of the younger movers are already much older than I am, I feel it's a demographic change where people are staying at home for longer. My reason is just purely financial, I want to build a nest egg and it wouldn't have been possible if I had moved out. Actually I moved out from home at 18 and moved back when I was 23. Used last year of school to stay home, save parents and myself money and now staying home to save some more. Now I have a little over 50K total net worth. If I had moved out when I got a job, I'd have 40K or high 30K. I'm torn between staying home more to save more but also wanting to move out because society pressures me and I partly want to. 2 conflicting feelings but I'm going to move out...eventually.

I think you are correct on this, both in this thread and universally.  Even though not true for our own kids, who are your age and slightly younger, all of the studies I've read are in accord with you--the combination of student loan debts and non-thriving economy is a high hurdle for many, causing an increasing percentage of young people to live at home for a longer time.

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #80 on: February 07, 2015, 12:17:55 PM »
I'll say 19. I went to college out of state, and the last time I spent more than a couple of weeks at my parents' house was the summer after freshman year.

Annamal

• Bristles
« Reply #81 on: February 07, 2015, 12:29:13 PM »
21, my parents paid for uni (which is awesome) and let me stay at home (uni was a walk away). I was kind of immature for my age and I think i might have crashed and burned if I had left earlier.

After that I moved cities to a walkable city with an IT job market and am really grateful for the head-start.

sugarsnap

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #82 on: February 07, 2015, 12:32:14 PM »
19. I lived at home for the first two years of jr. College then left for a 4 year. I did come home for the summer in between jr and sr year as well. I got married at 21 a few weeks after college graduation and then we were on our own. I has jobs and paid for everything besides food and shelter from 16+.

mango

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #83 on: February 07, 2015, 12:36:18 PM »

Count in another one! I'm 25 and still live with my parents. As soon as I finished paying off my students loans I started contributing a small amount of rent. Win for parents and me since even if I moved out, they still wouldnt rent out the room (2 younger sibilings in paid off house). I live in Northern Virginia, rents and home prices are too damn high. I'm also building a nest egg (a little under 50k worth now) and starting to look into maybe buying a condo for around 150k unless I want to pay $1400+ per month for rent when I know I'm going to live and settle down here.

bigalsmith101

• Pencil Stache
  • Yes, that's really my face.
    • No Jobs, No Responsibilities, No Better Time then Now
« Reply #84 on: February 07, 2015, 01:27:26 PM »
My story is similar to a yo-yo. In/out/in/out/in

I left home the first time at 18 (in 2005) for university, stayed for a term, didn't find the value in it so moved home and went to community college for the rest of the year. Then I hopped in my car and took a summer long road trip.

After that summer I moved back in for 3 months while attending community college, changed my mind and  went back to University (60 miles away) where I lived for another year. Then I took a year off college after family disaster (late 2007) and moved in with my parents for 9 months and worked full time. Spent that summer in South America.

Came back from South America and went back to University for 2 years (2008-2010). The day after I graduated I moved to Alaska to work for 6 months, came back home for a few months before getting on my motorcycle and riding it to Argentina for 8 months. (came home Dec. 2011)

After that I spent a year living between my parents house and my girlfriends parents house (now wife/in-laws),  working full time during that period. (2012)

Then in 2013 we went to Australia for a year and it was awesome.

Came back home, and my wife and I now rent a room in my parents house. They are retired, and regularly leave for weeks at at a time. We pay rent relative to the local area and essentially subsidize my parents road tripping fuel bill as they wouldn't rent any part of their home otherwise. My sister and her husband and two children rent the basement apartment and we all live under the same roof when we're all home at the same time (not very often).

I'll be for the next 6 months until my wife is placed in an internship and we move, or she doesn't get the internship and we move. Either way, we're moving (buying a house likely) as we're stashing the cash like hoarders at the moment.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 01:30:12 PM by bigalsmith101 »

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #85 on: February 07, 2015, 01:45:23 PM »
Left for college at 18, and just lived with the parents one summer when I was 18 or 19, and for a few weeks when I was 21.  I always joke that they moved into a 20' travel trailer specifically to prevent me from moving home after college.  Or maybe it's not a joke, but either way it worked.  I also vowed not to have roommates after I finished my undergraduate degree.  Not a good move financially, but it was needed for my sanity.

Reepekg

• Bristles
« Reply #86 on: February 07, 2015, 01:49:39 PM »
17, in 1994 when I went to college.

I would be curious when all the other 17 year-olds moved out, as it seems that the current generation feels compelled (by economy or helicopter parents???) to stay home or return after college.

17 in 2003 to go to college, never went back. Transitioned to no parental money at 21 when undergrad stopped and grad school started.

About half my classmates moved back home after undergrad, but all had their own apartments within 2 years.

Ricky

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #87 on: February 07, 2015, 03:31:27 PM »
It would be useful for those that don't display their age to state their current age as this question is heavily generational oriented.

I'm nearly 25 and still at home. I am just now starting to feel the urge to move out, and even that urge now is not tugging so hard that I'm running out and doing it. I definitely could care less what society thinks I should do. I'm in a much better position than I would of been had I moved out. Ok, so I can't know that for sure, but I'll gladly accept this position. Being a millinneal, I can't exactly say I stayed home due to a poor job market or student debt. I graduated with no debt because going to school online was very cheap in comparison to being on campus. And yes, it was an accredited, traditional degree from a 4 year university, they just had a great online program for what I wanted. I actually think, if anything, the job market is abundant with opportunities, even though competition still exists.

I recognize the fact that I'll need to move out in the next 1-2 years though to fully realize my potential.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #88 on: February 07, 2015, 04:00:22 PM »
23 (five months ago!)

I lived at university during term time from 18 to 21 but had to go home for the holidays and was largely financially supported by my parents. Had no job lined up when I graduated, but my bacon was saved by being accepted onto a two-year graduate course in my parents' city, so I moved back in for two years before finally leaving at 23.

Emotionally, I could easily have left at 18 (I need a LOT of personal space) but I just knew nothing about the real world, and I think my parents had deliberately sheltered me from a lot. It's very hard to move out when you had no clue how to do things like buy contents insurance. I learnt a lot about cooking and PF but some things were still unfathomable to me. I was also 'not allowed' to work while at school and university because I had to concentrate on my studies a
and 'didn't need' the money because my parents had enough to support me. I would really have valued the sense of independence from having a job, and think that would have been worth tarnishing my perfect academic record slightly for. But the way my mother kicked off when I mentioned perhaps not wanting to go to university, it was NOT going to happen.

Anyway, the point is that I should have moved out sooner but honestly didn't know how. First world problems, I guess.

NV Teacher

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #89 on: February 07, 2015, 06:10:59 PM »
I moved out at 18 to go to school.  To pay for school I worked and got some financial aid.  My parents kicked in a little here and there, but I tried not to ask them for help.  My dad died three years through my program and I never asked for another cent.  My mom still had three kids at home and worked as a school lunch lady and gas station clerk.  I took out student loans to finish school. 

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #90 on: February 07, 2015, 06:15:08 PM »
It would be useful for those that don't display their age to state their current age as this question is heavily generational oriented.

Sure, I moved out at 18 and am 28 today.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #91 on: February 07, 2015, 06:47:52 PM »

I edited mine earlier to include my current age. Moved out at 18, all my things out of my parent's house at 19. I'm 25, almost 26 now. Moved back in briefly when I was 21 or 22, to care for a relative/to figure out my next step in life.

irishbear99

• Bristles
« Reply #92 on: February 07, 2015, 07:02:59 PM »

Good point. I'm 37.

Genevieve

• Bristles
« Reply #93 on: February 07, 2015, 07:23:29 PM »
I went to a state funded boarding school when I was 16 (junior year). I came home for summers after junior year (17) and senior year of high school (18) but worked all summer. I didn't come home for summers after that.

My parents and I split the cost of college about 50/50, so I technically wasn't off their payroll until age 22.

I'm 26 now.

kathrynd

• Bristles
« Reply #94 on: February 07, 2015, 09:53:58 PM »
I moved out at 17 (1977) and rented my first apt.
I was working full time at a factory, making $3.68 hr (gross) which was more than minimum wage.
I cleared $125 a week.=541 month

My rent was $155 month for a semi furnished, junior 1 bed apt.
car payment was $109 month

Didn't have a phone or a tv. Vcr's, computers, cell phones, and internet..I never even heard of yet.

I remember the first time I baked a cake, it cost me $13 for all the supplies, because we didn't have dollar stores, I hadn't discovered thrift stores or garage sales.
Great memories :)

Nudelkopf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #95 on: February 08, 2015, 12:13:32 AM »

Lived in a rural town & I wanted to go to uni. My parents paid my rent for my undergrad (4 years), which they'd told me about quite a few years in advance. I funded everything else (actually, Mum paid for a once-off oncologist visit, that was nice)(I now go public for them). I visited my parents for Christmas, but they never visited me once when I was away at uni. I lived with them rent/costs free for about 2 months when I was 22 to do a teaching prac (I had to do a placement at a rural school).

Apparently my parents are going to come visit me this year - first time in my life they've visited me! :D :)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 12:16:43 AM by Nudelkopf »

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
« Reply #96 on: February 08, 2015, 12:50:47 AM »
I'm sort of astonished that anyone would say they "moved out" at 18 or what have you when they were actually dependent on their parents for financial support for the next 4 years. I don't think that counts. My parents provided minimal grudging support while I was an undergraduate, so although I didn't live with them except for brief isolated occurrences, I would never say that I had "moved out," largely because I felt that I had to toe their line in order to maintain the tuition assistance. I'm not sure I've experienced greater happiness in my life than when I received my first graduate student loan* and could tell my parents to fuck themselves. For real.

*They were small loans. I lived very frugally as a student. The degree was still a stupid idea, but it cost me probably as little as could be reasonably expected.

The_Captain

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • From Nothing to Something
« Reply #97 on: February 08, 2015, 09:46:42 AM »
The first time I moved out I was 18 going to University in another city, so I generally learned my "Live in the real world" stuff then. I was at University for about 3 years, and because of the way the school + work terms were never moved home during the summers, so I didn't move home until dropping out at 21. I spent the next couple months living at home paying down some credit card debt I had built up slowly during my years at school when I hadn't quite been able to stretch my loans enough, and then I spent another year and a bit stockpiling money, much of which I lent to my mother who was struggling.

Once I was 22, I met my now fiancee who was from the city I worked in, which finally gave me an opportunity to move to the city (rents were pretty expensive and I didn't have anyone else I knew in the city I could find a place with which was part of what kept me stuck commuting) So around the time she graduated and my mom sold her house (I was 23 by this point) enabling her to pay me back the 5K I lent her I moved into my current apartment, and I've been here for about 2 years now. I only started reading MMM about 2 months before I moved out, so I saved less than I could have, though I suppose had I been less willing to constantly make trips out to my old University I wouldn't have met my fiancee.

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #98 on: February 08, 2015, 10:06:29 AM »
I was going to say 17
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 12:50:36 PM by mozar »

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #99 on: February 08, 2015, 10:25:59 AM »
I'm sort of astonished that anyone would say they "moved out" at 18 or what have you when they were actually dependent on their parents for financial support for the next 4 years. I don't think that counts. My parents provided minimal grudging support while I was an undergraduate, so although I didn't live with them except for brief isolated occurrences, I would never say that I had "moved out," largely because I felt that I had to toe their line in order to maintain the tuition assistance. I'm not sure I've experienced greater happiness in my life than when I received my first graduate student loan* and could tell my parents to fuck themselves. For real.

*They were small loans. I lived very frugally as a student. The degree was still a stupid idea, but it cost me probably as little as could be reasonably expected.

Well,
"move out (or move someone out)
phrasal verb of move

leave or cause to leave one's place of residence or work"

The question wasn't about financial assistance, but place of residence. To be fair, I included both scenarios in my reply, but I can certainly see how people would interpret it as "moving out" and not "no longer being claimed as a dependent"