10 (3.8%)
31-35
0 (0%)
36+
2 (0.8%)
Still with parents
10 (3.8%)

Total Members Voted: 252

Author Topic: What age did you move out?  (Read 33008 times)

journey2financialfreedom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • the journey 2 financial freedom
What age did you move out?
« on: February 06, 2015, 12:50:51 AM »
And why ?

Just curious when you guys (and girls) decided to move out of yourparents homes. I don't want to move out super early and have the all the extra costs associated, but also don't want to be known as the dude still living with parents.

(If this poll is in the wrong place let me know and I'll delete it)

marty998

• Walrus Stache
Re: What age did you move out?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2015, 01:24:49 AM »

Which was about 6 years too late imo. Everyone should be kicked out of home at the earliest opportunity past 18. Quickest way to grow up is to learn how to keep a roof over your head and food on your plate by yourself.

Don't worry, you're certainly not alone. The "kidult" population is a very fast growing segment. It's getting very difficult to move out in some places. In my area you'd be up for $400 a week rent for a basic apartment.

okonumiyaki

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2015, 02:07:49 AM »
17.  I had finished school, and decided to work for a year or two before going to college.  The job I got was in a different country to my parents, so I had little choice.

Shared small place with four others, which kept the rent down, walking distance to work.  Lived very frugally because used all my spare cash for beer & concerts and saving up to travel...  Work had subsidised canteen, which helped.

My mother cried when she found out I was even buying shoes from the thrift shop.  Only saw them once that year, they flew back for my grandmothers' funeral, where I upset my father as I was wearing dark green.  Couldn't afford to buy anything black, and so had just worn the darkest clothes I had.

Learnt how to cook lentils & rice.

A lot of it was just young pride - my parents would have helped if I asked, but I was determined to not take a penny.  They very generously paid college expenses though.

My wife also left home at 17, that was to go to Canada to learn English & go to college.

I would guess that there will be a high % of "leave home early" on this board.  For what is FIRE but a desire for independence? 
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 02:48:16 AM by okonumiyaki »

zinnie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2015, 02:18:22 AM »
17 when I left for college and never looked back. To be fair, parents paid my living expenses for those next four years. And that was the norm where I grew up.

kathrynd

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2015, 02:47:00 AM »

When or kids finished high school, they were required to move out (age 18)
They were told that, from the time the were little, so it didn't come as a shock.

A couple of years later we all co- bought a 5=plex apt building.
We all live under the same roof, but in separate units.

We are gone most of the year, travelling.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2015, 02:59:04 AM »
16 - went to Uni. When I ran out of money for Uni after two years (I had had holiday jobs in high school, but the economy was really poor, and there were no holiday jobs to be had that year), I left Uni and worked to earn enough to go back to Uni. Uni was free. My parents wouldn't pay my board because they were too poor. The government would have paid if my parents were actually poor. Most of my friends had their board paid by the government. Because I left Uni to work for a year, my parents decided I wasn't interested in finishing my education, told me I was a failure, and told me not to darken their doorstep again. I finished my Uni course. My brothers didn't. My parents paid their board.

I guess that's a reason why I am frugal - I saved so hard during Uni (and before) to try to have enough to get through. Part time jobs just weren't available then, and jobs were still really women's or men's, with at least a 30% pay difference, so I really had to save to make one year's wage last for three more years.

kathrynd

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2015, 03:01:48 AM »
16 - went to Uni. When I ran out of money for Uni after two years (I had had holiday jobs in high school, but the economy was really poor, and there were no holiday jobs to be had that year), I left Uni and worked to earn enough to go back to Uni. Uni was free. My parents wouldn't pay my board because they were too poor. The government would have paid if my parents were actually poor. Most of my friends had their board paid by the government. Because I left Uni to work for a year, my parents decided I wasn't interested in finishing my education, told me I was a failure, and told me not to darken their doorstep again. I finished my Uni course. My brothers didn't. My parents paid their board.

I guess that's a reason why I am frugal - I saved so hard during Uni (and before) to try to have enough to get through. Part time jobs just weren't available then, and jobs were still really women's or men's, with at least a 30% pay difference, so I really had to save to make one year's wage last for three more years.

I'm sorry you had terrible parents.

I had great parents, but I just wanted to be self sufficient.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2015, 03:24:26 AM »
No, my parents weren't terrible. Both of them had no opportunity to go to uni as kids. They studied at night school to matriculate, and then went to uni while they were working and bringing up a family. They thought they had done everything for me that they could. I think that was why they paid my brothers' board at Uni. Especially after I had taken them at their word, rather than having a scene, and moved everything I owned out the next day. I had been at home for the holidays, but friends had offered somewhere to stay, and I had a job lined up before I broke it to my parents. The first brother finished high school at the same time, so I think that had an impact on what my parents did for my brothers. I think mum was studying for her PhD. at that time.

I lived in awful places while I was at Uni - $8 a week got a place without hot water, but with all the mod cons - including rats, holes in the floor and the roof...

pancakes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2015, 03:50:31 AM »
I moved out at 21. I was miserable at home because as much as I love my mother we are not good under the same roof. I am sensitive and need lots of time alone, she cannot cope with herself alone so would always seek me out wherever I was and bother me to no end.

That isn't the reason why I moved out but it is the reason that I was happy to. My now husband's parents actually sold their house and went nomadic for 6 month while he was still living there. He was only 21 but his eldest brother was 28 and had recently moved back. I'm pretty sure this was their way of kicking the older brother out and he was just caught up in it.

SaintM

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2015, 04:26:57 AM »
17, in 1994 when I went to college.

I would be curious when all the other 17 year-olds moved out, as it seems that the current generation feels compelled (by economy or helicopter parents???) to stay home or return after college.

MsRichLife

• Pencil Stache
    • Living My Rich Life
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2015, 04:32:09 AM »
17, in 1995. Couldn't wait to leave and would never have even thought to move back.

libertarian4321

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2015, 04:39:29 AM »
I guess at age 18, when I went to college.  Sure, I still spent a couple of months at home during the summer for my freshman and sophomore years (Junior year I was doing Army training), but I spent the vast majority of my time away from "home."

looking for FI

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2015, 04:52:21 AM »
16 It was a bad home situation. I started working when I was 15 bought my first car on my own with cash. Worked two jobs through my jr. and sr. years of HS. Parents didn't help pay for college and they made too much money for me to qualify for financial aid. I worked full time while taking college classes online and at night. Only managed to get an associates degree before I was making enough that I didn't see the need to continue my education. I spent alot, more than I was earning in the begining but have since reformed.

gecko10x

• Bristles
    • SawyerPF
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2015, 05:11:23 AM »
18, when I went to college.

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2015, 05:29:43 AM »
Started college at 17. My wife and I did live in a separate apartment on my parents' property for a couple of years after that when I was in grad school, though. I mowed their several acres every week in the summer (and decently often outside the summer because it was Houston). Also paid the Internet bill. Probably should have paid more, but it was their idea and the space wasn't otherwise used. Still isn't, though they're expecting my grandmother to move in at some point now that my grandfather is gone.

(When they brought it up I said "no thanks," but my wife made me go back to them.)

Edit to add: Bought a house in a different state from them at 23.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 05:52:15 AM by ShoulderThingThatGoesUp »

midweststache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2015, 05:47:48 AM »
I'm going to say 22. I left at 18 for college (R&B footed by my parents, because I'm very lucky). I graduated a semester early and moved home for five months. Because I initially went into education, I did a few sub-gigs, including two long-term subs where I earned pro-rated salary, while job hunting. The second I signed my contract I signed a lease for a $350 apartment down the street from the school where I would be working. I moved out at soon as I could--not because my parents were awful, but I felt free-loader enough for those five months.

jwilliams0215

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • WinningWilliams
    • WinningWilliams
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2015, 06:22:07 AM »
23. I stayed at home through college and the first 9 months after college (working the entire time). I was able to purchase a home with a large downpayment, adding in roommates, I was able to payoff the home in 7 years, despite "overpaying" in 2007. I have great parent's and it was a nice living arrangement, so I can't say I was sacrificing that much in the process (although I'm sure I would have enjoyed the college years more if I was living around campus).

netskyblue

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2015, 07:26:27 AM »
18, when I went to college.  I got married at 20, and graduated early.

I DID stay with my parents for about a 2 week period while I was going through my divorce at 23 - I was moving back to my home state from where I'd lived while married, and I stayed at their house from the few days before my job interview, through the time it took to be offered the job & get a start date set.  Then I took my meager savings and put a deposit down on an apartment near work.  I only had $1000 to my name, and didn't want to waste it on hotels or an apartment if I didn't get the job!

Mat Mobile

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2015, 07:42:13 AM »
I forget exactly when, but I was 19 or 20.

I moved into a rental with my girlfriend at the time. We rented a 1 bedroom apartment we could afford. It wasn't exactly Mustachian at the time (the term Mustachian didn't even exist) but it did teach me a lot about financial responsibility. The story continues and it's honestly not really important but I would like to make a point.

Even while paying rent, I managed to save 18k$ (there was the 2011 crash and I was still learning) to make a deposit on my first house at age 26. I know some people *cough* brother-in-laws *cough* that lived 10 years and up at their parents and still have more debt then savings. It drives me nuts! All that wasted money. Tsk! Tsk!

Thank you Mom and Dad for making it unbearable to live at home (they were just way too strict and we weren't getting along anymore... now things are good). I learned a lot when I moved out!

DecD

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2015, 07:48:59 AM »
I moved out when I went to college at 18, but lived at home during the summers, so that only half-counts.  All of my stuff was finally out of their house when I moved to California for my first real job at age 23.  That's when I feel I really moved out for real.

benjenn

• Bristles
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2015, 07:54:29 AM »
Graduated high school mid-term and moved out a month later at 17.  Loved and got along with my parents but was ready to be on my own.  Had a full time job before moving out, never had a room mate, paid for everything myself but my mom did help furnish my apartment.  Planned to go to college eventually but never got around to it.  Worked in retail for a few years, got married at 21, moved in to office work and started working when I am still today at 24 (I'm 50 now).  Started there at $20,000 as an assistant and have been a director for the last 15 years and make over $100k.

I think moving out so young and being so independent helped me lead a successful life.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2015, 08:01:32 AM »
I answered 21-25, but that is a little misleading.

At 18, I went to college. Lived in the dorms for 2 years, then in an apartment for 2 years, and returned home for the summers. After college, I worked 3 hours away from "home" and obviously lived on my own. Then 4 weeks ago I moved back in with my parents, turning 25 a 4 days after I got there. However, this is a temporary arrangement as I had taken a new job and won't sign on a lease/buy a house until my finace gets a job up here (she's back 3 hours south) and we know the general area that we'll live in. The longest that this would go is 9 months.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 08:03:34 AM by mtn »

escolegrove

• Stubble
    • Reluctant Landlord
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2015, 09:34:27 AM »
We moved out for college at 18 but bought our first house at 23. Honestly there is nothing wrong with living at home to build your future. While everyone might laugh now they won't laugh later. People thought we were certifiable but after building up 5 houses by age 27 people no longer thinks we are "nuts" but have respect for what we have done! So do what you need to get to where you want to go and don't worry about other people's opinion.

wild wendella

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2015, 09:47:45 AM »
I moved out at 17 when I went to a college 2000 miles away from home.  I'd held some jobs while in high school, had some spending money saved, and got part time jobs as soon as I got to college.  I did learn a few hard lessons about taking care of myself financially, but it was probably the best way to learn.  It seems to me that being able to stay at home with your parents *can* provide people with a significant leg-up and some security, and isn't necessarily a bad thing.  It's just important to learn financial self-sufficiency, but that can be acquired in other ways. 

Fodder

• Stubble
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2015, 09:50:14 AM »
I have two answers to this question.

I "moved out" at 19, to go to university.  But I was still supported by my parents --> through a combination of scholarships, money I saved from working, generous gift from my grandfather and money my parents had saved, I graduated university with almost no debt.  I wouldn't call myself independent at this stage.

I got a decent job right out of university (paid $44k in 2003, and had benefits and pension, etc.), when I was 22.  So I'd say I became independent at 22 and truly "moved out" then.  I lived with my now-DH, who also made a similar amount of money and we have been independent since.  We bought our first house in 2004.

Do what makes sense.  I was too independent-minded to live at home after university - I wanted to start life with my BF (now-husband).  Had I been single, I might have thought differently and might have wanted to stay home longer to build up more of a nest egg. 

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2015, 09:58:33 AM »
My parents no longer supported me in any way (financially) when I got married at 22 (nearly 23).  I moved across country at this time.

They gave me great financial support during college, although I didn't live with them. So I moved out at 18, but I cut ties at 22.

Ftao93

• Stubble
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2015, 10:00:04 AM »
I moved out a couple weeks before my 18th  birthday.  With no job, or real idea what I was doing.  It was stupid, but it worked out very well for me.  Taught me a lot of life lessons.

That and I wouldn't have had a job or future in my small hometown anyway.

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2015, 10:09:11 AM »
17, in 1994 when I went to college.

I would be curious when all the other 17 year-olds moved out, as it seems that the current generation feels compelled (by economy or helicopter parents???) to stay home or return after college.

17, in 2005 when I went to college. then after college I moved halfway across the country. now I live halfway across the country in a different direction. I love my parents dearly and would love to move back to my hometown, but living in the same house with them is a totally different issue :)

they did pay many of my expenses in college, and my car insurance and cell phone (family plan) while in grad school. completely cut financial ties when I was almost 24.

Ynari

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2015, 10:37:46 AM »
Technically I moved out at 18, when I went to college. But I was still wholly dependent on my parents. I "cut the cord" when I graduated at 22.

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2015, 10:39:29 AM »
17 (about three months before my 18th birthday), when I went to college.  My parents made it clear that as soon as I turned 18 and they were no longer legally required to provide me with food, shelter, and clothing, then they were going to completely cut me off and leave me to my own devices.  They also chose not to teach me any life skills like how to handle student loans, credit cards, and bank accounts.  They never checked up on me while I was away at school and I got $5 in the mail once per year with a birthday card.  They also stole my Hope Lifetime Learning tax credit while I paid my own way through college.  The only help I have ever gotten was from the US and state governments.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2015, 10:55:38 AM »
Technically moved out at 18 when I went to college. But I answered as 21-25, because that's when I didn't depend on my parents for money (started grad school with a stipend).

Numbers Man

« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2015, 11:13:04 AM »
I moved out at 18 about 2 months before High School graduation. I had a full time job and FU money and didn't feel it was right to pay rent to my parents while I was still in High School. I slept in my car the first night and then lived with a friend and his family after that until graduation and have been paying my own way since that time.

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2015, 11:22:40 AM »
I moved out at age 17, right after high school graduation.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 01:59:24 PM by miss madge »

richschmidt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2015, 12:46:51 PM »
17, in 1992, when I left for college. I lived at home during the summer breaks... so maybe that doesn't count? I had an off-campus apartment in fall of 1996 for grad school (age 21), and I got married that December, so I've never lived with my parents after that.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2015, 01:18:53 PM »
Moved out for good at 19, when I transferred to a college 800 miles from home. Didn't realize it at the time, but it never made sense to move back home after that.

I always had a great desire to be independent and take care of myself.

I paid for school with scholarships, grants, and loans. I paid living expenses with my on-campus job. My mom kept me on her health insurance and my dad covered my car insurance until I graduated, which was obviously a great help.

clarkfan1979

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2015, 01:42:54 PM »
I moved 2,000 miles away at 18. I was bored of my home town and home state. I needed to leave and experience something different.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2015, 02:47:35 PM »
18. I got sick of living in a remote fly-in town of 500, and didn't like my mom's husband. So I moved across the country to the city I live in now, rented an apartment, got a job, and lived the type of life I enjoy instead. I continue to do so 10 years later. No big deal. It's not difficult.

lakemom

• Bristles
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2015, 03:04:52 PM »
Wait.....so, heading off to school even when parents are footing the bill equals 'moving out?'  To me "moving out" means leaving the nest and supporting oneself (and spouse if applicable).  I left home at 21 when I got married.  I never lived at home again from that point on (not for school breaks, in between jobs or whatever, we were on our own from the time we married) unlike several of my siblings who returned for various reasons over the years.  None have done so in at least 18 years now though.

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2015, 03:25:05 PM »
My parents showed us all the door immediately after graduation.  The one exception being my brother who'd already signed on to join the military, and it wouldn't have made much sense for him to find a place for a matter of 2-3 months.  But they made sure to charge him rent starting the day after high school graduation.

HenryDavid

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2015, 03:30:14 PM »
Then first 2 summers of uni back at home saving money for the fall. Parents kicked in a wee bit but didn't have much.
2nd summer didn't save enough--tuition went up, scholarships down--so took the money and went to Europe hitch-hiking.
4 months of that was more education than a year of uni!
Learned a lot about self-sufficiency. Started learning French. Bilingual now.
Came back and got a job and apt. immediately and never looked back.
Finished uni 2 years later. Many frugal skills acquired by then.Got a small student loan but didn't need it, so used it for 2nd trip to Europe. Paid it off a year later. Paid for grad school with scholarships. It's all worked out very well in large part due to living like a student until long I stopped being one. Just seemed like a more fun game that way. Learned early that the worst word for financial independence is "should": you "should" have a newer car, you "should" buy a bigger house . . . . should me no shoulds!

Psychstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2015, 03:34:16 PM »

I moved out in order to start grad school in another city 300 miles away. Lived with parent through all of undergrad.

MrMoogle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2015, 03:39:35 PM »

Moved back home after college at 21, stayed a few years to save up money, and left when I found a home to buy. 

caliq

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2015, 03:48:47 PM »
Well, I chose 18 and under, because that's the first time I moved out (at 17, after graduating HS on time -- December birthday). 

I moved back home for six months or so with a deadbeat boyfriend at 18, then we both moved out.  I dumped him and moved back in again for like six months at age 20.  Then at 21 my husband (well, boyfriend at the time) and I lived with my parents for 8 months or so to save up to buy a house.  We moved out into our first house just after I turned 22.

My parents are saints :)  They never charged me rent.  I was working at least part time and/or attending college full time through out all the shenanigans though.   

A lot of the times I was out of the house include living in dorms or off campus apartments, but I was providing a majority of support for myself during those times so I don't really count them as living at home.

Edit: I'm 23 now so this is all really quite recent.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 06:54:48 PM by caliq »

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2015, 03:51:36 PM »
18 to go to college, although 19 if you count the fact that much of my stuff was still at their home when I lived in the dorms my freshman year. I did briefly move back when I was 21 or 22, when my life crashed and burned for a while (bad breakup, unemployed, etc), but a- I was caring for a sick relative while I was there so they needed someone back home and b- that only lasted a few months then I got back on my feet.

Honestly, moving back when I was 21/22 (I forget exactly when) was a great thing. I left Ex with most of our mutual possessions, so it was really a chance to embrace minimalism and pare down what I owned. And question why I owned it. Also a bonus, then when fiance and I first moved in with each other, we had the fun of finding things together to furnish and equip our home.

Edit: since people seem to think it's a generational thing, I'll throw in that I'm 25/almost 26 now. Firmly a millenial.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 05:40:07 PM by ToLiveToLaugh »

coffeehound

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2015, 03:53:52 PM »
One week after high school graduation, I left and went to find a job in the college town.

Unique User

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2015, 03:57:37 PM »
If moving out means no financial support that would be 20.  I left for college at 17, they helped for three years, but I also worked and took out loans.  I paid for senior year myself.  I returned for a couple weeks at 22 after a bad car accident, I couldn't work and it would have been tough to depend on roommates, but I was still paying rent on my own place.   

FOBStash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2015, 03:58:24 PM »
21 - I was cut off financially.

23 - I moved out of our home to move to the US with-  little support -- big deal when the norm in our culture is to live with your parents until you get married then you move out.

Made a big difference in maturity. Friends of ours who were under economic outpatient care still don't have careers or life direction in our 30s.

Murse

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2015, 04:00:35 PM »
22, current student still living at home. I pay for school/take out loans on my own but everything else is provided for me.

irishbear99

• Bristles
« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2015, 04:11:50 PM »
Left at 17 to attend university, but still lived with the parents my first summer. Second and third summer I only lived with them a total of a couple of weeks because I went back for summer courses and finished a semester early. I paid for my living expenses (to include the apartment I rented with 3 other roommates) in the summer, but parents paid partial tuition and room/board otherwise. Became completely self-sufficient upon graduation and haven't accepted money (or most gifts even) from my parents since then. (All of their "gifts" have heavy conditions I am unwilling to meet. There are no strings on me.)

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #49 on: February 06, 2015, 04:31:06 PM »
Went to college at 17, but my parents supported me and I lived at home during the summers. I also lived with them for a year that I took off from school.
Moved out again at 21, never moved back.