Author Topic: What's your organization's standard annual raise?  (Read 25788 times)

NoStacheOhio

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What's your organization's standard annual raise?
« Reply #50 on: March 09, 2016, 06:11:03 AM »
Maybe it's just because I'm early on in my career, but 0-2% raises seem insane to me. I feel like I would be more insulted than anything if an employer told me I am only a few hundred dollars more valuable to them after a year's worth of experience.

I had to bite my tongue one year with a 0.75% merit increase. It very much felt like a, "no, you keep this" kind of situation.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #51 on: March 09, 2016, 06:32:59 AM »
1.5% merit raise for an exceeds expectations performance review. 1% for meets expectations.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #52 on: March 09, 2016, 06:52:02 AM »
0% in sales I make my own raises =D

caracarn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2016, 06:54:57 AM »
2-3% at a manufacturing company.  This is for office and plant.

rubybeth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #54 on: March 09, 2016, 06:58:49 AM »
County funded public library. When we had pay steps, it was around 4% for my range (professional level librarian) and they would do COLA adjustments to the steps each year, but of course the steps got frozen during the recession. Then, they moved to a range system, and we've gotten .5 or 1% 'raises' but I put that in quotes, because that hardly keeps up with inflation, let alone COLA. We're lucky if our overall budget sees a 2% increase these days.

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #55 on: March 09, 2016, 07:05:39 AM »
Pretty standard 3% here.  A non-profit, but not the charitable variety, it's an organization that issues a professional certification.

MsSindy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #56 on: March 09, 2016, 07:08:50 AM »
~2-3% per year, but it depends on where you are in your band.  Apparently, I'm in the 75% pay range of my band, so my increases are on the lower side...but hey, I'll take being paid on the high side of the median for my peers.  Also, we have opportunity for 20% bonuses that have been paid out for the last 3 years I've been here - sometimes at 150% (i.e. 30% bonus).

This is big pharma.

MsSindy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #57 on: March 09, 2016, 07:10:02 AM »
Pretty standard 3% here.  A non-profit, but not the charitable variety, it's an organization that issues a professional certification.

Let's see, SE PA, prof cert, non-profit....does it have to do with Project Management  ;)

sjc0816

• Bristles
« Reply #58 on: March 09, 2016, 07:14:32 AM »
DH's company (Fortune 500 Insurance Company, tech division) gives 0-3% annually but managers can distribute the percentages how they see fit across the team. DH received 3.2% this year and he was pretty happy with that (he is a top performer and they don't give merit based increases really). He's paid on the very high end of what most similar positions make already....so no complaints.  We will see next week if we see much of a change in pay after the increase in healthcare premiums.

Gondolin

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #59 on: March 09, 2016, 09:39:28 AM »
Defense Megacorp. Standard increase is 2-2.5%. Poor performers or people who are highly penetrated into their payband get less, high performers get more. 4% is the highest I've seen on an annual review increase.

That said, the whole process is very opaque. Much depends on the financial performance of the business unit and what your management had for breakfast that day.

TheOldestYoungMan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #60 on: March 09, 2016, 02:10:13 PM »
Maybe it's just because I'm early on in my career, but 0-2% raises seem insane to me. I feel like I would be more insulted than anything if an employer told me I am only a few hundred dollars more valuable to them after a year's worth of experience.

It just depends.  If you worked for an architecture firm in 2009 and they just finished laying off 40% of the staff in the office, and you got to keep your job, then even a modest pay cut wouldn't seem so bad.  You are clearly valued and they are willing to take the risk of keeping you on payroll because they want you around.

Vs. a thriving business where everyone is getting 10% and you get 2%, that's a somewhat clear message that you aren't valued, but the place you work at isn't going to be unfair about it.

In the U.S. at least, you can always go find another job.  From management's perspective, until people start leaving specifically because of compensation, it's going to be how it is.  They don't know or care how much to pay you absent feedback from you, and too many of them react poorly to talking about compensation for there to be an honest dialogue, so often the only input they are getting is binary (they stayed, ergo I'm paying them too much/enough, or they left, ergo I wasn't paying enough).

nobody123

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #61 on: March 09, 2016, 02:23:03 PM »
No standard per se, but it's a pool of money usually between 0 - 4% depending on business conditions that the VP gets to spread around the organization.  Even folks on performance improvement plans get something, and HR is so afraid of being sued you really have to justify taking too much from one person to give it to a more deserving person.  VP has to ask for more money if they want to promote someone or reward them with a bigger than "standard" raise. 

Christof

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #62 on: March 09, 2016, 02:30:28 PM »
Software business in Germany. For most of my employees it is 2% annually. I don't increase based on performance, because I can't reliable measure performance without unwanted side effects.

turketron

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #63 on: March 09, 2016, 02:33:52 PM »
I work for a bay area tech company, but I'm not sure what the "standard" is- in the nearly 3 years I've been here I've received two raises of 15% and 10%, but I was definitely a top performer so I don't know what the standard increase amount would be for a "middle of the road" employee.

Me: University of Wisconsin, 0%.  Haven't had a raise of any kind, cost of living or not, in six years.

As a Wisconsinite and someone who attended a UW System school for undergrad, this fucking sucks. I'm sorry.  =/

MandyM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #64 on: March 09, 2016, 03:05:43 PM »
No real standard, but I generally see ~3-4% in my small office (part of 800 person engineering firm). I've seen as high as 10%, although that was for someone that was paid too little when they were hired. During lean years, office managers and above took 0%, and the rest of us still got 2-3%.

After reading through the other responses, I feel pretty good. I've always been pleased with my pay and raises; its not crazy high, but its fair and I get to see it increase each year. When there were raises that had to be cut, they started at the top. And to their credit - corporate wasn't making big announcements about their sacrifices.

nvmama

• Stubble
« Reply #65 on: March 09, 2016, 09:05:11 PM »
I work for a large private non profit human service organization.   For years we got nothing.  No cola or performance based increases.  Now our increase is the same as social security.  If they increase, we get the same.   So this year it was 0%. 

Molzy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #66 on: March 10, 2016, 09:11:18 AM »
I've been at my job 3 years, and my supervisor told me in his 6 years with the company (small company was purchased at that time) the lowest he's seen is 2.5% as the "standard" or "base" raise. Then your performance gets taken into account and you an get more. Our group gets a set pool, and then the supervisors have to duke it out to determine who gets what. I got 3.5% my first year (standard raise, I wasn't eligible for merit based because I hadn't been there a full year), 8.5% my second year and 12% last year. I will add that my supervisor feels I'm underpaid, so he fights for me each year at review time and has tried (but failed) to get me mid year raises. After this last year I finally feel I've caught up somewhat with what I should be making, but it took a nearly 25% increase over 2.5 years to get here!

My fiancé got a 1% raise last year, public university. First increase in years, though he'd only been there less than a year.

nanana13

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #67 on: March 10, 2016, 09:41:54 AM »
Between 3% - 11%, depending on performance and productivity. Accounting firm.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #68 on: March 10, 2016, 09:51:29 AM »
Larger financial institution. Both raises and bonuses are on a sliding scale up to 6% based on some convoluted combination of company performance and individual performance (there's a 15 minute training video that explains it--I watched it and still don't really understand). I got a 4% raise and 6% bonus this year.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #69 on: March 10, 2016, 10:32:47 AM »
Prior company, 2% was the normal merit increase. No cost of living increase.  Current company...I don't know yet, but I hear around 3% if you do well.

chesebert

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #70 on: March 10, 2016, 10:36:52 AM »
I'm a lawyer in an international law firm, so it's lock step.  But we are the minority of employees of the firm, and I think a 2-3% raise is pretty standard.  I don't think many jobs offer lockstep raises above 3%, honestly.

No need to be coy about it, it's public information. Here is the scale.

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #71 on: March 10, 2016, 11:06:37 AM »
I'm a lawyer in an international law firm, so it's lock step.  But we are the minority of employees of the firm, and I think a 2-3% raise is pretty standard.  I don't think many jobs offer lockstep raises above 3%, honestly.

Every time I see lawyer salaries my head kinda explodes. I can't believe those are real amounts of money that real humans get paid.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #72 on: March 10, 2016, 11:48:25 AM »

Every time I see lawyer salaries my head kinda explodes. I can't believe those are real amounts of money that real humans get paid.

I kinda feel that way about the financial/etc industry jobs I see here...there have been a few north of $600k. I can't even comprehend that.

AZDude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #73 on: March 10, 2016, 12:00:53 PM »
I work for a mid-sized non-profit entity. 0% standard raise, same as it has been for awhile according to co-workers. This is why it pays to be part of big corporate. At a fortune 100 company in the past, even with a shaky economy, raises and bonuses were a thing.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #74 on: March 10, 2016, 01:10:21 PM »
3% is pretty standard where I am.

Simply827

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #75 on: March 10, 2016, 02:08:34 PM »
I have a union job, our contract negotiates cost of living increases in 3-4 yr chunks, it is typically 2.5-3.5%.  If you are below the top of your pay band you also get a 5% increase, until you hit the top, at which point you just get the COL.

I have mixed feelings about this setup.  It was nice my first couple of years when I was still learning the ropes, now I sort of feel like I'd prefer to make a case for my own raise...I guess I am doing this by making a case for a promotion that would move me into a higher pay band...

I'm on a similar system working for a city government. We're due to get a 3% raise in July, but then our contract is up. The new mayor will have to negotiate with the union to make a new contract and set raises. The old mayor refused and we didn't have raises for nearly 5 years. Hopefully the new mayor isn't such a stickler.

ETA: The are also annual step increases, but I'm at the top step and won't be getting any more.

I'd much rather like to have the ability to negotiate my own raises, because I'm by far, the best performer in my department.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 02:28:54 PM by Simply827 »

slugsworth

• Bristles
« Reply #76 on: March 10, 2016, 02:26:29 PM »
I work for a mid-sized non-profit entity. 0% standard raise, same as it has been for awhile according to co-workers. This is why it pays to be part of big corporate. At a fortune 100 company in the past, even with a shaky economy, raises and bonuses were a thing.

I work for a small - mid sized non-profit, 0 percent seems to be the expectation. Though they do seem to try to make sure wages are at/near industry standards, so every so often raises are given our either by merit or COL.

sailinlight

• Bristles
« Reply #77 on: March 10, 2016, 02:38:18 PM »
Medium sized tech company in US.  Minimum of 2-3% for older workers who are maxed out.  I have worked there for 8 years since graduating college and have never gotten less than 9%.  Though in the past few years, it's been around 5-6, so perhaps I'm getting to the top end of the scale.

Grosgrain

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #78 on: March 10, 2016, 02:41:07 PM »
3% annual raise as long as you meet standards and aren't exceeding the top of your pay band.  Plus 4-8% bonus opportunity depending on company performance.

Mid-size financial institution.

zinethstache

• Pencil Stache
  • FIREd 1/27/2017
    • My FIRE Hobby and travel blog
« Reply #79 on: March 10, 2016, 02:46:23 PM »
Med size Manufacturer in HCOL. Been here 20 years. 3% with an up to 5% corporate bonus based on a financial factor or ICP(Incentive Compensation Plan) 15%

This year due to slow sales, the average was dropped to 2.5%. I had a great review but am ICP and was granted 2.4%.

The pool is all set at 2.5 so to give another more, you have to give others less. I am used to a very small raise as I am sitting fine in my grade and I have received 100% of my ICP every year. I think because of that they give me a little less base pay bump.

thd7t

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #80 on: March 10, 2016, 03:13:01 PM »

It just depends.  If you worked for an architecture firm in 2009 and they just finished laying off 40% of the staff in the office, and you got to keep your job, then even a modest pay cut wouldn't seem so bad.  You are clearly valued and they are willing to take the risk of keeping you on payroll because they want you around.

Vs. a thriving business where everyone is getting 10% and you get 2%, that's a somewhat clear message that you aren't valued, but the place you work at isn't going to be unfair about it.

In the U.S. at least, you can always go find another job.  From management's perspective, until people start leaving specifically because of compensation, it's going to be how it is.  They don't know or care how much to pay you absent feedback from you, and too many of them react poorly to talking about compensation for there to be an honest dialogue, so often the only input they are getting is binary (they stayed, ergo I'm paying them too much/enough, or they left, ergo I wasn't paying enough).
Well, I wasn't happy about the paycut, but the 40% of my office who were let go were less happy.  That was 2010 in architecture.  In 2008, I was one of the 40% (last in the door, first out!)

Raises have been rare even as the building sector has become strong.

Lanthiriel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #81 on: March 10, 2016, 03:35:08 PM »
Mid-size engineering firm with seemingly a standard 3% raise for "meets expectations." Definitely significantly more than that if you're doing well. I'm expecting somewhere in the 4-6% range this year (I think I find out next month) because I'm getting a lot of good feedback, but I'm not technical (i.e., billable).

ditheca

• Bristles
« Reply #82 on: March 11, 2016, 10:55:02 AM »
Aviation consulting industry, private company:

We always get a COLA based on federal inflation.  Right now that's zero, so no luck there.

There are also merit raises from 0-5%, which are usually in the 1-3% range. 

I'm not expecting anything this year, since last year I demanded they reevaluate my compensation and successfully negotiated a 27% raise.  Sounds cool, but I was really just terribly underpaid to begin with!  I would need to switch ships to join the six figure club.

Tuskalusa

• Bristles
« Reply #83 on: March 11, 2016, 10:59:47 AM »
2% for top performers. 0% for everyone else. Thanks Corporate America.

nanana13

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #84 on: March 11, 2016, 11:07:42 AM »
2% for top performers. 0% for everyone else. Thanks Corporate America.

What type of company do you work in?

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #85 on: March 11, 2016, 11:48:38 AM »

You should avoid looking at IT professional salaries lol.

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #86 on: March 11, 2016, 11:58:03 AM »

If it makes you feel any better, I haven't been home since 7:15 AM yesterday and used wet wipes to "shower", haha.   I think more people should view these salaries as combat pay and save them accordingly.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #87 on: March 11, 2016, 12:04:47 PM »

If it makes you feel any better, I haven't been home since 7:15 AM yesterday and used wet wipes to "shower", haha.   I think more people should view these salaries as combat pay and save them accordingly.

On the other hand, if you make partner, your salary can be well in excess of $500k. I know because my mom's one, my uncle owns his firm, and my grandfather was bought out of his firm as partner when he retired.

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #88 on: March 11, 2016, 12:09:24 PM »
On the other hand, if you make partner, your salary can be well in excess of $500k. I know because my mom's one, my uncle owns his firm, and my grandfather was bought out of his firm as partner when he retired.

For sure, but partnership for this generation is not like partnership for the last two. 

It's all a pie eating contest.  If I could halve my salary in return for a 35 hour week I'd take it.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #89 on: March 11, 2016, 12:11:12 PM »

For sure, but partnership for this generation is not like partnership for the last two. 

It's all a pie eating contest.  If I could halve my salary in return for a 35 hour week I'd take it.

What's your area of law? Mom does 3rd party insurance, uncle does real estate, and grandfather did M&A.

Elliot

• Bristles
« Reply #90 on: March 11, 2016, 12:15:33 PM »
Also federal, so nothing. Technically eligible for very small merit/experience based ones every few years, but we've been on a pay-and-hiring freeze for years.

Spouse is paid hourly and works in customer service at a big box store and get 10-20 cents every year after his (always glowing) performance evaluation. I feel bad for the people who get average reviews of that's all he gets for a good one!

chesebert

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #91 on: March 11, 2016, 12:20:57 PM »

You should honestly take a shower and go out for a walk. I predict you are 33.15% less effective without a shower and exercise (of which walking is one).

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #92 on: March 11, 2016, 12:22:20 PM »

Kind of, except I work in direct service nonprofits, so that's often true for me (only add actually working in 105 degree heat outside for 18 hours a day and then sleeping on the ground), only I make 1/5 of that starting salary. And I don't even get to escape the corporate attire or the ass-kissing of sexist old men, because I'm a fundraiser.

chesebert

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #93 on: March 11, 2016, 12:22:55 PM »

Why don't you ask to be paid on an hourly basis and just work the hours you want to work (subject to actual matter needs)? 1099 is not ideal but it hell beats working all day and not having a chance to take a shower on a regular basis :)

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #94 on: March 11, 2016, 01:22:12 PM »
I work for a software company that's based in the US, but is a subsidiary of a German holding company. I just got a 3% raise that was apparently pro-rated since I've only worked here for 9 months (and am still learning the code base and therefore haven't had time to become a "top performer" yet), so I guess the average is at least 4%.

CharlesSowAV

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #95 on: March 19, 2016, 07:23:32 PM »
I work from home at a not-for-profit online college.

We can get up to 6% raise, but our university-wide average is 4%. We are eligible for $2400 bonus/year.

Jim2001

• Stubble
« Reply #96 on: March 19, 2016, 07:51:49 PM »
0% automatic cost of living.  There are bumps with certifications and promotions.  I've attained all the required certs, etc. and am now making 33% more than when I started almost five years ago.  That said, I'm basically at the top of the ladder. 

freezerburn

• Stubble
« Reply #97 on: March 19, 2016, 09:00:01 PM »
We've had an automatic 2% COLA for everyone at my smallish non-profit since I joined the staff. Maximum possible merit raises on top of that have varied from 2-3.5%, depending on how that fiscal year's funding has gone.

I'm surprised (though maybe I shouldn't be?) at the lack of raises in higher ed! Posted hiring salaries for my job equivalent in higher ed roles are usually about 10% more than what I'm making now, and the retirement matches are about 2x better, so I've been seriously considering pursuing a job at a university. Judging by this thread I guess I'd have to factor in a low probability of getting raises though.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #98 on: March 20, 2016, 08:22:40 AM »
I work for a bay area tech company, but I'm not sure what the "standard" is- in the nearly 3 years I've been here I've received two raises of 15% and 10%, but I was definitely a top performer so I don't know what the standard increase amount would be for a "middle of the road" employee.

Me: University of Wisconsin, 0%.  Haven't had a raise of any kind, cost of living or not, in six years.

As a Wisconsinite and someone who attended a UW System school for undergrad, this fucking sucks. I'm sorry.  =/

Thanks. Not to mention, the cost of health insurance goes up every year. Meaning that we are taking home actually less every year, in real dollars as well as dollars adjusted for inflation.

Secretly Saving

• Bristles
« Reply #99 on: March 20, 2016, 08:43:05 AM »
2-3% at a large corporation usually, but every once in a while they raise things by 5-10% AND really nice bonuses!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!