Author Topic: What's your favorite really cheap thing you bought that is functional?  (Read 28650 times)

FLA

• Pencil Stache
Re: What's your favorite really cheap thing you bought that is functional?
« Reply #50 on: September 11, 2015, 06:17:05 PM »
[
[/quote]

You have to go on their website to take advantage of their lifetime warranty. They give you instructions, you get an RMA and you pack the broken tumbler up and send it to them, you pay for shipping. It's a huge pain in the ass and I'm not sure it's worth the cost of shipping, but they DO honor their lifetime warranty....
[/quote]

thanks!

Tigerpine

• Bristles
« Reply #51 on: September 11, 2015, 06:21:47 PM »
My electric razor. I found it in the last hire car I hired and omg... Best thing ever!!!! Saves money over buying blades and I don't fit myself when I am half asleep in the shower anymore :-)
+1
I still use my electric razor my father gave to me probably 25 years ago.

lbmustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #52 on: September 11, 2015, 07:05:51 PM »
I gotta say... a lot of stuff from Ikea.

1) Tools. While they are not super duper high quality (meaning I don't know how they would stand up to major household repairs), they have done every job I needed them to do around the house.

2) I also love their ultra cheap nail sets. (For example: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30224230/)

3) Most of the furniture I have bought is still going strong years later. My favorite "big" purchase has been the Klippan leather couch for $399 (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00306294/#/90288667). I changed the legs out to wooden legs (you can search Etsy) and it looks great.

Tabitha

• Stubble
« Reply #53 on: September 11, 2015, 07:35:56 PM »
The basins from the dollar store.
One as a dishpan, to control the amount of water and soap.
One as a cleaning tray/little bucket/supplies corral
And most importantly, one as a pedicure basin that I can move to sit in a comfortable chair.  This last has saved me 1000's of dollars by keeping me out of the salon...

T.

FIRE me

• Handlebar Stache
  • So much technology, so little talent.
« Reply #54 on: September 11, 2015, 08:47:19 PM »
$5 pill splitter. Good for splitting prescription and over the counter pills. For non-narcotic Rx drugs, the doctor has never batted an eye when I ask him to double the strength so I can split the pill and save half on my out of pocket cost.

NataliaDuma

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #55 on: September 14, 2015, 12:25:27 AM »
I have this wonderful coat that I bought really cheap from a consignment shop. It's pretty cozy that's why I totally love it. I don't mind if it's a secondhand item as long as it is something that I can use and feel comfortable with.

TheBuddha

• Stubble
« Reply #56 on: September 14, 2015, 01:50:22 AM »
Bamboo back scratcher at the 99 cents only store

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #57 on: September 14, 2015, 10:31:18 AM »
An LG dumb phone with slide out keyboard that I bought for ~$25. in 2010.  Still going strong although I may need to replace the battery soon.  Imagine how many iphones I could have bought in those 5 years!

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #58 on: September 14, 2015, 10:37:47 AM »
$10 faux apple bluetooth keyboard.  I use it with my cell phone.  It almost eliminates the need for a computer if I didn't do a lot of graphic design.  It's great for traveling light.

Years ago my grandma gave me a dollar store toy phone stocking stuffer.  I was a teenager and I think it was a gag gift because I wanted a cell phone.  It included a "toy" headset with an auxillary plug that actually worked with my parents house phone.  I threw out the phone part and used that headset for years. 

powersuitrecall

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #59 on: September 14, 2015, 12:05:28 PM »
A lot of coffee references here so I'll add mine ...

The amazing Aerobie Aeropress: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AeroPress

For a good cup of coffee on the cheap it's unmatched. 

I've used it almost everyday for 10 years now!

Fodder

• Stubble
« Reply #60 on: September 14, 2015, 12:23:10 PM »
A lot of coffee references here so I'll add mine ...

The amazing Aerobie Aeropress: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AeroPress

For a good cup of coffee on the cheap it's unmatched. 

I've used it almost everyday for 10 years now!

I have an aeropress as well and would completely agree that it is amazing.  The coffee is rich, bold and delicious.  I usually use mine to make an americano, and it's just as fast as keurig/other pod coffee system, and the coffee is far superior and much, much more cost-effective.

I use a Bodum Columbia 1.5L for general coffee making, but another ikea cheapie is their coffee press - I have one at work and it works brilliantly, and is only about $10.

Easye418

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #61 on: September 14, 2015, 02:44:10 PM »
+1 to the Wahl hair clippers. 

Bought a pair on Amazon for $23 bucks and my girlfriend(wife now) began cutting my hair.  I was skeptical at first and we had some "unique" hairstyles, but I absolutely love that thing.  It has saved me $1000+ dollars over the years.  I get to cut my hair when I want and how I want it for free (pretty much).

I spray tan my wife in return I get my hair cut.  Save money on both sides of that transactions.  I've only been spray tanning her for 6 months, but it will quickly have a better ROI than the clippers.

Using the good solution will run ~$2 bucks a spray vs salon at $10-$20 a spray.

FIRE me

• Handlebar Stache
  • So much technology, so little talent.
« Reply #62 on: September 14, 2015, 03:24:17 PM »
Bamboo back scratcher at the 99 cents only store

I'll second that one. I bought two of them years ago and they are both frequently used.

AlwaysLearningToSave

• Bristles
« Reply #63 on: September 14, 2015, 04:10:49 PM »
I spray tan my wife in return I get my hair cut.  Save money on both sides of that transactions.  I've only been spray tanning her for 6 months, but it will quickly have a better ROI than the clippers.

LOL!  Now THAT is a win on multiple levels!  I can't imagine a much more enjoyable way to save money. :-)

But seriously, I didn't know it was possible to DIY a spray tan.  My wife is pretty frugal but always wants a spray tan for any formal events we go to.  Where does one find DIY spray tan stuff?  I would totally make the "sacrifice" of doing that for her. 

Valetta

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #64 on: September 14, 2015, 06:09:45 PM »
$20 iced tea machine by Mr. Coffee. It was on sale at Target. I don't drink soda or coffee, only water and unsweetened iced green tea. I drink almost a pitcher of tea every day so the machine gets a ton of use. It makes a full pitcher of perfectly brewed tea in 10 minutes.

DH made fun of it when I first bought and called it a waste of money. He now calls it the best $20 ever spent.

FLA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #65 on: September 14, 2015, 10:03:09 PM »
I use a lot of lip balm, as does DD and DMom. Cheap, I get a bunch when Avon has it for a buck.  Last Avon batch did not come with labels so you could see how full they were from the outside.  They were maybe 1/3, more like 1/4 filled.  Not buying that ever again, no wonder they could sell it for a buck.

I found this site called Bulk Apothecary that seems to be for people who make their own stuff or for people looking for wedding favors.  They had all different types of lip balm.  Being a "bulk" site, I had to buy 50, which I know sounds insane.  But they were 11 cents then 20% off of that and found a free ship code.  It stockpiles well and has to be hands down the world's cheapest lip balm and it's good.  Smells, looks, feels just like Avon. I don't think you could make it yourself that cheap.

Easye418

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #66 on: September 15, 2015, 08:03:21 AM »

LOL!  Now THAT is a win on multiple levels!  I can't imagine a much more enjoyable way to save money. :-)

But seriously, I didn't know it was possible to DIY a spray tan.  My wife is pretty frugal but always wants a spray tan for any formal events we go to.  Where does one find DIY spray tan stuff?  I would totally make the "sacrifice" of doing that for her.

Yes sir, multiple wins. 

Amazon.  There is a learning curve for sure.  If you look up Maxi-Mist, you can find my detailed review (trust me, I don't work for them either).  I don't typically write reviews, but I researched and researched and researched it.  Up front will cost you $200ish bucks and a splotchy looking wife for a bit.  Remember, you are not power-washing her with tanning solution, you are applying a light coat. 

Most over the counter spray (affordable) solution is garbage, reach out to manufacturers are ask for a sample solution.  You will quickly find out what sprays work best for your wife. 

Spray her once a week, sometimes twice.  Most solutions will last decently 5 days.  Sleep with the solution on then wash in the morning.  Be sure to sleep on a separate blanket!!!  She will stain the covers. 
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 08:07:46 AM by Easye418 »

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #67 on: September 15, 2015, 08:52:32 AM »
  Remember, you are not power-washing her with tanning solution, you are applying a light coat. 

I laughed out loud. Thank you.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #68 on: September 15, 2015, 09:13:50 AM »
Found a Griswold cast-iron skillet at Goodwill in 2005 for $.99. We use it all the time. More than any other single pan.

We use a set of four plastic Rubbermaid laundry baskets for everything. Laundry, toy cleanup, and even as luggage on road trips. We don't even bother with a suitcase a lot of times when doing short visits to the in-laws in the next state. Just put a basket of clean laundry in the back of the car and get on the road.

$20 OXO kettle.

$14 thrift rice cooker.

$10 thrifted 4-qt Procter-Silex slow cooker.

Wissotzky tea chest boxes keep our batteries organized.

Battery tester.

Metal funnel and canning funnel.

OXO scale

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #69 on: September 15, 2015, 09:42:38 AM »
Drove by a garage sale 30+ years ago and saw a Coleman lantern for sale.  Stopped and bought it for $10, still going strong.

Many of my hand tools were relatively inexpensive and will last a lifetime.

esq

• Bristles
« Reply #70 on: September 15, 2015, 10:15:11 AM »
Not super cheap, but in the long run, more than worth it:  Phillips Sonicare toothbrush, about $60.  I inherited horrible teeth and gums, and despite the fact I haven't flossed in 20 years, my teeth and gums are in great shape.  The sonic wave action kills bacteria that cause cavities and plaque.  When applied to the gums, it "knits" them tighter to the teeth.  Dentists and hygenists have confirmed my gums are tight and teeth have almost zero plaque.  I will sit and watch tv and just go over my gums for at least 5-6 minutes each day.

I have even gotten rid of toothaches and sore spots on my gums just applying the brush for a few minutes extra each day.

Faced with the possibility of dentures and teeth problems as I get older, this is totally worth the cost of the unit and replacement brush heads.  You only have one set of teeth!

TravelJunkyQC

• Bristles
« Reply #71 on: September 21, 2015, 06:51:04 AM »
Two very solid road bikes bought on Kijiji (Canadian equivalent of Craigslist) for 75$ and 120$. My bf rides his at least 25 km a day to and from work, and mine gets a little less mileage, but is used on weekends for either leisure or errand-running.

FLBiker

• Handlebar Stache
    • Chop Wood Carry FIRE
« Reply #72 on: September 21, 2015, 07:01:13 AM »
Not super cheap, but in the long run, more than worth it:  Phillips Sonicare toothbrush, about $60.  I inherited horrible teeth and gums, and despite the fact I haven't flossed in 20 years, my teeth and gums are in great shape.  The sonic wave action kills bacteria that cause cavities and plaque.  When applied to the gums, it "knits" them tighter to the teeth.  Dentists and hygenists have confirmed my gums are tight and teeth have almost zero plaque.  I will sit and watch tv and just go over my gums for at least 5-6 minutes each day.

I have even gotten rid of toothaches and sore spots on my gums just applying the brush for a few minutes extra each day.

Faced with the possibility of dentures and teeth problems as I get older, this is totally worth the cost of the unit and replacement brush heads.  You only have one set of teeth!

You should work on commission.  I've been resisting one of these for ages, and my teeth and gums are "fine" but it takes a lot of work.  I just need to buy one of these things, I think.

FrugalWad

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • The Frugal Wad
« Reply #73 on: September 21, 2015, 11:28:54 AM »
I'd have to say my cheap but awesomely protective case for my Republic Wireless Moto X 2nd gen. Since I only talk via speakerphone, and use it to follow recipes in the kitchen, the pop-open stand is the best thing ever. I was always propping my old Galaxy S4 on makeshift stands before. This is so much easier.

Generic cheap ink that's like exponentially cheaper than buying manufacturer ink. I was super skeptical, figuring I'd see if it works. I tried smearing the ink after the first print with it, no smearing at all. It's like it's too good to be true, but it works great. I'm waiting to see if it all dries up one day randomly or something.

My 12" Lodge cast iron pan. It's replaced a whole kitchen's worth of cookware for me. The uneven heating still makes me long for All Clad, but it's awesome for what I need it to do. Which is everything. I got a 7 quart dutch oven too, which comes with a lid; that way I can have a lid when I need it for either.

My Krups coffee/spice grinder. Alton Brown approved. There isn't a morning where I don't get to make fresh ground coffee now. I loves it.

Kaspian

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Necronomicon of Badassity
« Reply #74 on: September 21, 2015, 12:55:46 PM »
$2 Betty Crocker potato masher from the Dollar Store.  Gets used multiple times each week and I'd probably cry if it broke.  :D

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #75 on: September 21, 2015, 01:06:34 PM »
My $8,000 1989 28*65(1800sqft) Double Wide Manufactured home, that I bought at an auction. I have spent about $25,000 total on buying it, separating it, getting axles and tires for it, moving it to my property, digging a foundation/basement, pouring concrete floor, moving it over concrete, pouring concrete wall around it, building frame underneath it, installing garage door on one end and windows in basement, hooking it up to water/sewer/electric. Now it's a 1800sqft 3 br 2 bath house, with a full 1800sqft garage/basement under it. I rent it out for $1100/month. I put it on property that I already own, as the first house I bought came with 2 lots and only sat on 1 lot, so I put this on the 2nd lot. I did almost all of the work myself or it would of been much more expensive.

MissStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #76 on: September 22, 2015, 06:20:03 AM »
  The sonic wave action kills bacteria that cause cavities and plaque.  When applied to the gums, it "knits" them tighter to the teeth.  Dentists and hygenists have confirmed my gums are tight and teeth have almost zero plaque. 

Honestly, this seems like mumbo-jumbo to me!  Is it legit?  I also have genetically bad teeth/gums, and overcrowding so flossing is AWFUL.  Lots of shredded floss and hacked-up gums.  I'd really like to be able to take care of my teeth without having to go through the daily trauma of flossing.  Maybe I just skeptical of something promising to fix a problem using "sonic waves" ha!

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #77 on: September 22, 2015, 08:05:21 AM »
My gray hooded sweatshirt by Hanes, bought at Walmart for about $5.00. My total "go-to" garment...wear it all the time over my tanks and tees. Didn't take it on a recent trip out West to Colorado...missed it the whole time. Warm but not too hot, neutral so goes with all colors, seems to function as a "security blanket" for me. Will be easy and cheap to replace if need be.

neo von retorch

• Magnum Stache
    • Fi@retorch - personal finance tracking
« Reply #78 on: September 22, 2015, 10:44:46 AM »
  The sonic wave action kills bacteria that cause cavities and plaque.  When applied to the gums, it "knits" them tighter to the teeth.  Dentists and hygenists have confirmed my gums are tight and teeth have almost zero plaque. 

Honestly, this seems like mumbo-jumbo to me!  Is it legit?  I also have genetically bad teeth/gums, and overcrowding so flossing is AWFUL.  Lots of shredded floss and hacked-up gums.  I'd really like to be able to take care of my teeth without having to go through the daily trauma of flossing.  Maybe I just skeptical of something promising to fix a problem using "sonic waves" ha!

It probably is marketing mumbo jumbo, but... my experience is that I've always struggled with the habit. Many years ago, my dentist recommended one, and I (pre-MMM) happily forked over something like $90 for it. And I loved it and used it all the time and my mouth health definitely improved. Eventually the battery stopped holding a charge and it was worthless. Years later, I finally gave in (post-MMM) and bought one on sale for just $20 at Target. Unfortunately, I hated it! Very buzzy and not very sophisticated. Can't really bring myself to use it, and still struggling with my habits. Strongly considering getting a $60 model...

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #79 on: September 22, 2015, 11:44:33 AM »

It probably is marketing mumbo jumbo, but... my experience is that I've always struggled with the habit. Many years ago, my dentist recommended one, and I (pre-MMM) happily forked over something like $90 for it. And I loved it and used it all the time and my mouth health definitely improved. Eventually the battery stopped holding a charge and it was worthless. Years later, I finally gave in (post-MMM) and bought one on sale for just $20 at Target. Unfortunately, I hated it! Very buzzy and not very sophisticated. Can't really bring myself to use it, and still struggling with my habits. Strongly considering getting a $60 model...
Well, getting stuff done at the dentist is super cheap, root canals are less than $60 I'm pretty sure, you probably shouldn't get the $60 model and just pay to get your teeth repaired in the future as it will be much cheaper.
FYI I'm being sarcastic and if you won't use the $20 model and think you would use the $60 model more often, it'll probably save you money in the long run and you can think of it as an investment.

Pleasedeletethis

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #80 on: September 22, 2015, 12:02:55 PM »
Our Goodwill has hundreds of cute, well-made Ts for $2.17 each. I use these for exercise class and to work around the house.

+1

Goodwill is always the best place to get most of your day to day clothes.  If you destroy a $2 shirt in exercise class, or working around the house or on the car, who cares?  It was only $2.

BrickByBrick

• Stubble
« Reply #81 on: September 22, 2015, 06:42:09 PM »
$18 hair clippers and a $5 hand mirror

My hairstyle is simple enough that I can do it to myself, and I've gotten a lot better at cutting/trimming the back of my head.  My hair grows fast enough that I was averaging a hair cut every 3 weeks (I hate having too much hair on my head...feels so restricting - and hot).  Has saved me $500+ so far since I started a couple years ago, it will save thousands in the decades to come.

BrickByBrick

• Stubble
« Reply #82 on: September 22, 2015, 06:48:19 PM »

Want to provide a link?  I'm in a similar situation.  I seem to have inherited great teeth (no cavities ever), but horrible gums (root canal in my near future)...its kind of weird.  I literally cannot floss, it seems to make things worse.  My dentist recommended one of these types of things before but I never gave it much thought.  As I get older though I'm beginning to think more about my future healthcare costs.

Meowmalade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Like "Marmalade". Not like an ailing French cat.
« Reply #83 on: September 22, 2015, 07:38:32 PM »
Not super cheap, but in the long run, more than worth it:  Phillips Sonicare toothbrush, about $60.

I had a Sonicare for years until the battery died on mine, at which point I switched to an Oral B Smartseries electric toothbrush since the replacement heads are about half the price.  It turns out that I like the performance a lot better, too!  I feel like they do a better job of cleaning my teeth.  My favorite are the Floss Action heads.  I recently got my mom an unused demo display one on eBay for about half the price of a new one  :)

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #84 on: September 22, 2015, 09:08:21 PM »
Thought of another one:

FREE 2-gallon bucket acquired from a grocery-store bakery. (The bucket once held bulk frosting.) It is much easier to tote around when full than a 5-gallon bucket and I use it all the time.

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #85 on: September 24, 2015, 01:42:08 PM »
My husband had terrible gum disease which caused him to have six teeth pulled. Since he started using a Sonicare, his gums are much healthier. He hasn't needed any periodontal work beyond normal cleanings for several years. Plus his breath is way better. :) It's not cheap, but it has saved him a lot of painful dental visits.

FLA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #86 on: September 26, 2015, 09:45:01 AM »
The basins from the dollar store.

I found these in the perfect shade of blue as my son's furniture, they went on two low bookcases already painted the blue.  Bookshelves found in hoarder parent's basement, she let us take them.  It turned out so nice with all those basins as toy/book storage.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #87 on: September 27, 2015, 09:41:32 PM »
A small, cloth purse that I found at a market in Thailand.

It cost me about $2 six years ago and I can wash it, pack it up small, wear it crossbody easily and it's big enough to hold just enough for when you're walking around (phone, passport, cash, etc). It is colorful on one side and black on the other so I can wear it for both casual and more formal use if needed. Best $2 I've ever spent! I can't believe sometimes how much use I get out of it.

I'm after this exact thing for next time we travel. Still looking!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #88 on: September 27, 2015, 09:42:55 PM »
+1 to the Wahl hair clippers. 

Bought a pair on Amazon for $23 bucks and my girlfriend(wife now) began cutting my hair.  I was skeptical at first and we had some "unique" hairstyles, but I absolutely love that thing.  It has saved me $1000+ dollars over the years.  I get to cut my hair when I want and how I want it for free (pretty much).

I cut my husband's hair, he tweezes my eyebrows. :)

Others would laugh but they are bonding experiences.

FLA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #89 on: September 28, 2015, 02:27:13 AM »
For non-narcotic Rx drugs, the doctor has never batted an eye when I ask him to double the strength so I can split the pill and save half on my out of pocket cost.

Consumer Reports used to say to do this.  I have not found one doctor personally or professionally willing to do this. They will right for the higher strength but give you half as much.  With electronic records shared between doctors and specialists, this would be a PITA, how would anyone know the "real" dose?  Maybe it's a NYS thing and they can't do it

Pleasedeletethis

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #90 on: December 21, 2015, 10:18:57 PM »
Digital tire pressure gauge.  Keep it on a keychain, use it surprisingly often.

MrDelane

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #91 on: December 21, 2015, 10:24:44 PM »
20$ hair clippers . . . which three years ago replaced monthly haircuts at about 20$ a pop (after tip).  I'm hoping to avoid ever paying for a haircut for my son now . . .

I'll second this and raise you...

A roughly $30 pair of hair clippers I bought in 1994, and I continue to use today.
I use them about once a month.  I figure I've saved a bit over $5K in haircuts in the past 21 years.

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #92 on: December 21, 2015, 10:37:18 PM »
I bought a desk lamp when I went to college. I've used it continuously. It's on my husband's desk now and he uses it daily.
I bought it in 1980.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #93 on: December 22, 2015, 12:53:14 AM »
My 20$ OBD II reader.   ELM 327.  Just connect that bad boy via bluetooth to a smart phone, makes short work of vehicle troubleshooting.  Im sure I have another favorite item but that one comes to mind.

I actually have one of those but never had anything to read it with.. Now my Wife has a Republic Wireless  phone I really must download the Torque Pro app and save the odd trip to Autozone..:)

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #94 on: December 22, 2015, 12:56:52 AM »
Bought a utility trailer for $350. Less than one payment on the typical pickup truck. Better for my purposes in almost every respect.

+1
Has paid for itself many times over.

Same here.. $250 from Harbor Freight a few years ago with 12" tires. I have pulled that thing at over 70mph with my Dodge Neon!.. Awesome tool (although we now have a cheapo monster truck for getting the 2.5 tons of hay for the horse each Summer and hauling him to the arena when its too we to ride him in the pasture.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #95 on: December 22, 2015, 01:00:40 AM »
Just about every tool I ever bought falls into this category.. Except maybe the mig welder which I really never could justify.

My fav though is the Oxy-acetylene welding set.. Not that cheap but I've had it for donkeys years and its so damn versatile.. There is no such thing as a rusted on nut of any size.. Heck if you can't break the rust you can just melt it..:)

I can weld almost anything ferrous with it as well.

syednaeemul

• Stubble
« Reply #96 on: December 22, 2015, 03:31:54 AM »
The $20 slow cooker I bought from Target, who'd have thought cooking is so easy / hands-off?

superkookyburra

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #97 on: December 22, 2015, 04:38:26 AM »
Veggetti.  $15 - $5 coupon at Bed, Bath, Beyond.  Whenever we have spaghetti now, we use zucchini for the noodles.  Just as easy of a meal to make, but much healthier.

Nickyd£g

• Stubble
« Reply #98 on: December 22, 2015, 05:48:00 AM »
Mine is a chair, though I didn't buy it - I found it on the street!  It was a really cool wooden chair, though had paint splashes on it and was a bit grubby.  A friend of mine was doing decoupage while off work with stress, and I asked her if she could decoupage it.  Cost me £5, plus a bunch of flowers :)  It is now my bedside "table", and is very colourful and pretty.

justajane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #99 on: December 22, 2015, 06:05:35 AM »
Not cheap, but a $50 non-stick anodized skillet from Cuisinart has stood up to 5+ years of daily use. I was dubious when my husband bought it, but it has been awesome.

My $10 hair-cutting scissors from CVS are going to save me hundreds of dollars in haircuts for my kids. I say only hundreds because I am likely to upgrade them in the next few years. But it's still a good ROI! Oh, and the $40 Crea clip on Amazon from my own haircuts. That was a MMM recommendation for which I am very grateful.