Author Topic: What's your favorite really cheap thing you bought that is functional?  (Read 28714 times)

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
Re: What's your favorite really cheap thing you bought that is functional?
« Reply #100 on: December 22, 2015, 06:32:33 AM »
Dont know how much they cost because i have had for so long but i have about a dozen flannel shirts I wear seemingly 8-9 months a year and they just never wear out.

TravelJunkyQC

• Bristles
« Reply #101 on: December 22, 2015, 07:08:43 AM »
I bought my car with 16,000 km on it for 3,800 CAD. Granted, it's a 2004, but it's a Hyundai Sonata and built pretty solid. Pretty good buy in my opinion.

hoping2retire35

• Handlebar Stache
  • just want to see where this appears
« Reply #102 on: December 22, 2015, 08:12:26 AM »
+1 on home hair cuts

our slow cooker is definately our most important piece. it was a gift but I am guessing ~$80. smaller ones are even cheaper, maybe even check craigslist but they are awesome. put everything in and walk away.

OmahaSteph

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal: The Slow Lane to FIRE
« Reply #103 on: December 22, 2015, 08:19:58 AM »
I bought a pair of black leather high-heeled boots at a consignment store for $9 and they've way outperformed my other more expensive boots. Thinking of taking them to a shoe repair place to get some work done on them BUT I've been powerlifting and my calves are getting bigger, so they may only fit for another couple months. :(

Frugalman19

• Bristles
« Reply #104 on: December 22, 2015, 08:27:03 AM »
Corkscrew for sure lol

ohana

• Stubble
    • An Ocean Lover in Maine
« Reply #105 on: December 22, 2015, 08:29:01 AM »
A little plastic dish scraper that cost $1.  I use that every night and love it. 

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #106 on: December 22, 2015, 08:30:35 AM »
I have measuring cups and spoons in bright colors. They make me happy every time I use them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BarkyardBQ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #107 on: December 22, 2015, 09:16:50 AM »
I got a Mr. Coffee Dehydrator when I was 12 for Christmas, 19 years ago, still works great.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #108 on: December 22, 2015, 09:42:51 AM »
22 years ago, when I was in college, I bought a Melitta single cup coffee cone. Don't remember what I paid for it, but considering its equivalent to the one currently selling for $3.99, I'd say it can't be much more than that. I have made countless cups of coffee with it, used it nearly everyday since then except for summer which is iced coffee time. I have a fancy Japanese kettle designed for pour over coffee now but I've used it with nothing more than a saucepan before. It's hard to make coffee for company, but 99.9% of the time, it's just me wanting coffee and it's perfect for that.

I sometimes think about replacing it with a glass or ceramic one, but I worry about breaking it, so I stick with my old plastic one. Best coffee maker ever.

The exact same thing came to mind for me.  My college roommate bought it for me for Christmas when we were both broke.  Sadly, mine developed a crack, and then it broke all the way this spring when I packed it in my luggage to make coffee while traveling.  I did find a stainless steel Hario to replace it with, and think the coffee is marginally better, but that Melitta cone really paid for itself over the years.

Last winter I picked up a very ugly but very solid little book shelf that was left on the curb.  It was marginally useful in the garage, but I just moved it down to the basement closet that I use as a pantry, and it fits like it was made for the space, and is perfect for storing winter squashes.