Author Topic: What's your favorite meal to feed a crowd of 25 people?  (Read 5518 times)

Stachetastic

• Pencil Stache
What's your favorite meal to feed a crowd of 25 people?
« on: June 17, 2015, 03:26:46 PM »
We are hosting a children's birthday party (for two children) this weekend and are stuck on what to serve. We typically do pulled pork, but we feel that's been played out this year. My mother in law suggested spaghetti, which I'm not opposed to, but the party will be outside and it's been hot and muggy here all week. But maybe people won't mind that? Any suggestions are appreciated!

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: What's your favorite meal to feed a crowd of 25 people?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2015, 03:36:20 PM »
You can do just about anything. What about a cold noodle salad (like Thai peanut pasta) and chicken salad? You can make a huge vat of chicken salad for about the same as pulled pork costs.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2015, 03:36:40 PM »
Spaghetti was my first thought:) But sounds like it would be a good situation for a Build your own taco/burrito bar. Then everyone can have what they want especially any kids who might be picky eaters and you don't have to worry about serving.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 03:40:03 PM by swick »

StockBeard

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2015, 03:37:40 PM »
A french dish called the "Salade Piemontaise"

You need
- potatoes (boiled, then let them cool down)
- pickles
- tomatoes
- eggs (boiled, then let them cool down)
- ham (optional, good if you're not a vegan)
- mayonnaise + mustard

mix everything, put in the refrigerator, serve cold.

Edit: it doesn't have to look as nice as the picture below. I do it "quick and dirty", it tastes the same ;)

Remove the pickles/mustard if the kids don't like it

MsFrugalista

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2015, 03:46:03 PM »
Spaghetti was my first thought:) But sounds like it would be a good situation for a Build your own taco/burrito bar. Then everyone can have what they want especially any kids who might be picky eaters and you don't have to worry about serving.

I second the taco/burrito bar! Kids can have fun with that and less prep work for you guys.
Or similarly a make your own sandwich station? You can have a variety of deli meat (and veggie options) and the fixings so they can build their own sandwich?

StockBeard

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2015, 03:46:40 PM »
Another one that's easy and I like: "Couscou Taboule" (but beware: my kid hates it... so maybe not the best for a kid's birthday? The Salade Piemontaise above is usually a success, unless these kids don't like potatoes...)

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/melissa-darabian/israeli-couscous-tabouli-recipe.html <-- not my site, not my recipe, but you get the idea

Very fresh thanks to the lemon and mint

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2015, 04:07:12 PM »
Maybe try the pulled pork another way? For example, there's a place around here that serves cobb salads topped with pulled pork and mac and cheese topped with pulled pork and both are divine.

And there is nothing wrong with a good grill out- burgers and hot dogs and all that joy. The 4th of July special! This isn't always terribly cost effective, but it is fun to eat and easy to prep.

Mrs.LC

• Stubble
    • Loose Change Living
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2015, 04:20:51 PM »
Sloppy Joes, potato salad, ham/cheese/pea pasta salad, raw veggie tray with dip, and watermelon.  Leftover sloppy Joe meat freezes well, too.  Buy bulk roast beef from Arby's and serve with a variety of sauces is very popular for summer parties. 

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2015, 05:22:06 PM »
Kid's birthday? Hot dogs, hamburgers, veggie burgers, condiment bar, and chopped up veggies with ranch dressing dip. Cupcakes and fruit salad for dessert.

Heckler

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2015, 05:34:15 PM »
damn, I was going to suggest pulled pork.

Devilled eggs are always a favourite.  Maybe not with kids though.

Kaplin261

• Bristles
    • Michael Foutz
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2015, 06:25:24 PM »
Lasagna is easy enough, prepped before hand and throw it in the oven before serving. With oven ready lasagna noodles the prep time for 3 pans would be about a hour and cost $20.

h2ogal

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2015, 06:46:25 PM »
Tex/Mexican! 

Chipotle chicken - boneless chicken breasts cooked in Crock pots with chipotle salsa - shred with fork when well don.

Seasoned beans or refried beans

Home made chunky guacamole

Spanish Rice

Toppings bar full of Diced Onion, Tomatoes, shredded lettuce, sour cream, pico de gallo, grated cheese, etc.

Serve with corn chips and soft fahita type wraps.

expectopatronum

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2015, 09:36:27 PM »
Tex/Mexican! 

Chipotle chicken - boneless chicken breasts cooked in Crock pots with chipotle salsa - shred with fork when well don.

Seasoned beans or refried beans

Home made chunky guacamole

Spanish Rice

Toppings bar full of Diced Onion, Tomatoes, shredded lettuce, sour cream, pico de gallo, grated cheese, etc.

Serve with corn chips and soft fahita type wraps.

I was originally going to suggest turkey, but then it didn't fit the context...

Yes to this idea! My mom does this dish she calls Mexican hat. Browns 1-2lbs of ground beef in a stockpot or Dutch oven, then dumps in a 52oz can Ranch Style Beans and lets it simmer for about 30min. She serves it over Fritos (buy store brand) and people top it with sour cream, cheese, guac, lettuce, black olives. Way cheap and easy.

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2015, 04:46:33 AM »
Chicken drumsticks are cheap and cook fast.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2015, 05:00:48 AM »
My family makes "Bean Burgers" -- brown a bunch of hamburger (add diced onion if you like), then dump in cans of pork and beans. Add some ketchup and yellow mustard right into the bean/meat mix, heat it all up and there you go.  Usually eaten on a bun like a sloppy joe, but can also be eaten with scoop chips or a spoon.  Anyone I've met who isn't a vegetarian likes these.  There's something about them. 

I also make Texas Caviar, which is a cold three bean/diced vegetable salad with sweet apple cider vinegar dressing.  That stuff always disappears at picnics and people always ask for the recipe. It's a bit labor intensive, with the dicing, but worth it. 

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
Re: What's your favorite mteal to feed a crowd of 25 people?
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2015, 06:44:14 AM »
Cold quiche and salad. You can buy quiche bases ready made, or at least buy frozen pastry as you'll be making a lot. Put in filling and whipped up eggs, bake for 45 minutes, done. Make lots of different fillings so everyone has somethin they can eat (diced ham, goats cheese, onion, peppers, broccoli - go wild with combinations!) Make it all the day before then serve at ro temperature with a few big salads.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2015, 01:19:29 PM »
baked ziti