92 (24.7%)
30-35
26 (7%)
35-40
12 (3.2%)
>40
5 (1.3%)

Total Members Voted: 367

Author Topic: What's your BMI?  (Read 19786 times)

JLee

• Walrus Stache
Re: What's your BMI?
« Reply #50 on: June 06, 2017, 11:55:09 PM »
yea, probably should have asked about body fat % versus body mass that doesn't take muscle into account.  It's a bit more 'healthy' of a calculation.

for 95% of the population muscle isnt the reason they have a high BMI.  its b/c they have too much body fat.  and body fat is not easily calculated via a quick ratio of weight to height. People will claim all day that its not a fair calc for their build but really most everyone is fat in the USA so you look normal carrying around extra weight and that makes you feel like the calc is bad.

BMI is absolutely flawed for more than just elite athletes. It is not valid for 95% of the population because it takes nothing into account other than weight and height.  There are many, many different body types in the this world.

For instance, like someone upthread state, I feel fat af right now at 41 years old. At 5'10.5 215 lbs I'm just dipping into the obese range.  Anybody who saw me would see I've got a little belly going on, but I daresay no one would refer to me as obese.  I have broad shoulders and big ass. Other than that I think I look like an average sized guy.

The BMI calculator says I would need to get down to 176 lbs to sneak just out of the "Overweight" range. LOL!  I would look like Tony Horton (of P90X fame) if I were to get below 180. 

I worked out pretty hard up into my late 20's and even in my mid 30's got back into pretty good shape (another P90X plug).  IMO, the weight I felt and looked best at was 185-190, which is still 10-15 lbs overweight according to BMI.

The average American is 23lbs over the ideal body weight.  Everyone's body is different, but as a large sweeping generalization "average" is going to be heavier than ideal.

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #51 on: June 07, 2017, 09:05:32 AM »
4'11" and 97 pounds, that's 19.6.  Interestingly, the random calculator I used online asks if you are Asian or Asian American.  If you say yes, it adjusts the BMI assessment (not the #, but whether it's "normal" or "low").

BMI is such crap. I'm at the low end of normal.  I am fit and active, and my body fat % is probably 18%.  But I'm no elite athlete.  If I weighed 120 pounds, my BMI would be 24.2, which is still "normal."  But I can assure you that at 120 pounds, I would not be healthy.  (Not to say that another person at 4'11" would be unhealthy at 120 pounds, but people are just made differently.  My even more athletic sister is 5'0" and easily 120.  We can almost fit in the same pants.  We are both healthy.)  On the flip side, me at 92 pounds would be considered normal based on BMI, but again, I can promise you, I'd be sickly skinny if I were 5 pounds lighter.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #52 on: June 07, 2017, 10:13:12 AM »
yea, probably should have asked about body fat % versus body mass that doesn't take muscle into account.  It's a bit more 'healthy' of a calculation.

for 95% of the population muscle isnt the reason they have a high BMI.  its b/c they have too much body fat.  and body fat is not easily calculated via a quick ratio of weight to height. People will claim all day that its not a fair calc for their build but really most everyone is fat in the USA so you look normal carrying around extra weight and that makes you feel like the calc is bad.

BMI is absolutely flawed for more than just elite athletes. It is not valid for 95% of the population because it takes nothing into account other than weight and height.  There are many, many different body types in the this world.

For instance, like someone upthread state, I feel fat af right now at 41 years old. At 5'10.5 215 lbs I'm just dipping into the obese range.  Anybody who saw me would see I've got a little belly going on, but I daresay no one would refer to me as obese.  I have broad shoulders and big ass. Other than that I think I look like an average sized guy.

The BMI calculator says I would need to get down to 176 lbs to sneak just out of the "Overweight" range. LOL!  I would look like Tony Horton (of P90X fame) if I were to get below 180. 

I worked out pretty hard up into my late 20's and even in my mid 30's got back into pretty good shape (another P90X plug).  IMO, the weight I felt and looked best at was 185-190, which is still 10-15 lbs overweight according to BMI.

This is a very good point.  It's so hard to figure out what "ideal" is.  From long ago, there used to be a calculation for women: 100 lbs at 5', and 5 lbs for each inch over.  So, my ideal weight is 112.5?

Um...yeah I did hit 110 once, as I graduated from HS, and stopped menstruating.  That happened at around 120-125 lbs for me, which is way too low.  Later, in my 30s, I hit 123, and I could not sleep.  My hipbones would dig into the mattress and I could not sleep.  For other health issues like fertility, I learned that I need to be >135 to get pregnant.

The "max" per BMI at my height is 139.  There are many factors that go into my actual weight, however.

1.  I have wide hips, and large muscular lower half -thighs/ calves/ butt.  They aren't going anywhere.
2.  After 2nd pregnancy, my shoulders and ribcage got noticeably broader.  I hit my pre-preg weight and my shirts did not fit.  Now, some of this (shoulders) is because during the pregnancy I started swimming a lot.  My upper body is a lot more muscular now from swimming and carrying around a baby-then toddler, and now even picking up a 36 pound 4 year old.  The ribcage...well, it just got broader.  Also, studies show that men and women's hips get wider with age.  That means more circumference and more weight just to fill the space.
3.  Exercise.  The trimmest I've been is when I was distance running.  I'm not really built for that (injury).  Back then, my upper body was quite skinny and my legs were slimmer.  Swimming obviously increases my upper body size.  I like weights and yoga too - and during the times that I've done concentrated PiYo (lots of pushups and squats), I look pretty fine - but my weight is DEFINITELY higher than when I'm running, by a good 5-10 lbs.

Lately I've been running more, so my weight is down...but I'm not a fan of how I look.  At almost-47, my legs are thinner (but still big), but that just makes the loose skin/ cellulite more noticeable.  Time to do more squats.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #53 on: June 07, 2017, 10:20:23 AM »
I am moderately amused to see that 55% of respondents are in the 21-22ish range, along with me. Confirmation bias, much? (Also, selection bias based on who fills this thing in.)

I had to guess on my weight, though -- we don't have a scale, and the last time I needed to weigh something heavier than a kitchen scale could hold I found out that none of my neighbors have one, either. Had to take whatever-it-was (maybe a small child?) to the rec center, weigh my self with and without said object.  I already liked my neighbors, but at that moment I felt an odd sense of kinship -- everyone appears to be in decent shape, and no one worries about exactly how much they weigh. (Plus, I see most everyone out for after-dinner walks this time of year...)

Nudelkopf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #54 on: June 08, 2017, 12:03:48 AM »
I'm a very average person, so I'm pretty happy using BMI to guage my weight.

Female. 25yo. 165cm/5'5 (ish?). BMI = 24.5

I would classify myself as fatty. Muscular legs and small waist, but fatty everything else. My scale says I'm 28% bf.

Herbert Derp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #55 on: June 08, 2017, 12:19:15 AM »
I'm 5' 8.5", 130 lbs. So that puts my BMI at around 19.5. I'm a pretty skinny dude...

WranglerBowman

• Stubble
« Reply #56 on: June 08, 2017, 02:09:42 PM »
6'2" + 178lbs = 22.9 BMI currently, guessing I'm right around 15% body fat currently.  When I was long distance running/training in college my BMI was 19.3 and I was 4.8% body fat! 

sultee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #57 on: June 09, 2017, 08:33:27 AM »
FWIW, BMI is a rudimentary calculation of the likelihood someone is overweight. It is used because providing a DEXA scan or BodPod to thousands of doctors offices wouldn't change that calculation for a significant portion of the population. 95% likely isn't an accurate number, BUT if you're active, your resting pulse, low blood pressure, and good blood markers are great ways that insurance companies measure health other than just BMI.

If you want a true gauge of change in body composition instead of the number on a scale, look for a local BoPod to measure you're composition prior to intervention with diet or exercise.

GrumpyPenguin

• Bristles
« Reply #58 on: June 09, 2017, 11:25:16 AM »
There's strong correlation between bodyfat and BMI, but of course it doesn't nail it for everyone, and I believe that's why there's a confidence interval in what's considered "healthy" and over- or under-weight.

I find it interesting that the World Health Organization says "To achieve optimum health, the median body mass index for an adult population should be in the range of 21 to 23 kg/m2, while the goal for individuals should be to maintain body mass index in the range 18.5 to 24.9 kg/m2. There is increased risk of co-morbidities for body mass index 25.0 to 29.9, and moderate to severe risk of co-morbidities for body mass index greater than 30." (http://www.who.int/gho/ncd/risk_factors/bmi_text/en/)

In any case, my BMI is a bit over 24 right now and I'm fairly sure getting into that 21 to 23 range for me (even if I built up a lot more muscle) would be healthy. This is my goal, actually, having dropped below 25 in the last couple months.

SpareChange

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #59 on: June 17, 2017, 03:29:38 PM »
18.7. I am one scrawny mofo...

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #60 on: June 17, 2017, 06:21:01 PM »
I'm 5 6 female. First 2 years in h s  I weighed just under 100 pounds. Then I gained weight, and through college was 115, 116 as well as 3 years after college. In grad school with poor eating (vending machines in the basement, beers and pizza with friends) gained the grad school 10. When pregnant gained to just under 150, because they wanted me to gain weight. During the breakup of my marriage last year, I dropped down to 119 (grief),  Now I weigh the most I have other than pregnant/post partum: around 130, because I'm driving instead of walking, and so busy I skip exercising.  guess I'm saying, my weight doesn't fluctuate a huge amount, but I can def tell when I feel more or less fit.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 06:52:04 PM by partgypsy »

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #61 on: June 17, 2017, 06:58:22 PM »
Ironically gaining some fat doesn't seem to have hurt my chances with guys...

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #62 on: June 17, 2017, 08:11:35 PM »

I'm totally not surprised.  When I was young, I was obsessed with getting that last little bit of fat off my butt and thighs.  Now, as a middle aged woman who only recently managed to climb back to a reasonable weight after several years struggling not to drop under 100lbs (5'4"), I realize that I look a hell of a lot better at 110 lbs and with a dimpled ass.  100lbs and I look gaunt....it's not pretty. It was do-able in my dewy early 20s, but definitely not now.  And my breasts have recovered!  :hoping to hang onto this weight:

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #63 on: June 18, 2017, 11:24:34 AM »
In my circle of friends we have a saying (which I think originally came from a famous actress) that women at a certain age have to choose between your ass (being thin) or your face.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #64 on: June 18, 2017, 02:50:15 PM »
I have a feeling the OP expects Mustachians will be slimmer than average since they are more disciplined and otherwise morally superior.  Eyeroll.

If so, shouldn't the poll be "FI or not and BMI?"  ;)

Suspect this will be a self selecting poll for people at lower end of BMI. I am thrilled after 3 years of struggle with being underweight, to have gotten over the 18.5 BMI 'hump' to 'normal'.  Hope it sticks.

To ensure that it's not I voted.  :)
I know, me too!

Bucksandreds

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #65 on: June 18, 2017, 04:22:59 PM »
BMI is "A" good tool but not "The" good tool. It's funny seeing people who need to stop drinking mountain Dee and need to exercise a little complaining about it.

PS I don't think that everyone over 25 is overweight but most everyone in the high 20s or 30s is overweight.

retiringearly

• Bristles
« Reply #66 on: June 18, 2017, 07:47:36 PM »

6'3, 190 #.

kayvent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #67 on: June 30, 2017, 08:35:25 PM »

I'm totally not surprised.  When I was young, I was obsessed with getting that last little bit of fat off my butt and thighs.  Now, as a middle aged woman who only recently managed to climb back to a reasonable weight after several years struggling not to drop under 100lbs (5'4"), I realize that I look a hell of a lot better at 110 lbs and with a dimpled ass.  100lbs and I look gaunt....it's not pretty. It was do-able in my dewy early 20s, but definitely not now.  And my breasts have recovered!  :hoping to hang onto this weight:

It is sad that gay photographers and gay magazine editors decided to put girls that looked like skinny pre-pubescent guys on the covers of their magazines for years. (Serious joke.) While different men do *cough* like different figures most men like women who look like a healthy woman.

As a father of a daughter, and a human in general, it breaks my to hear your and partgypsy's stories. I can invision the trials and efforts you both took; the pressures that society coerces unto women is disheartening.

[MOD NOTE:  I don't know what "Serious joke" means, but don't go blaming this crap on homosexuals.  Thank you.]
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 06:57:19 AM by FrugalToque »

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #68 on: July 01, 2017, 08:40:23 AM »

It is sad that gay photographers and gay magazine editors decided to put girls that looked like skinny pre-pubescent guys on the covers of their magazines for years. (Serious joke.) While different men do *cough* like different figures most men like women who look like a healthy woman.

As a father of a daughter, and a human in general, it breaks my to hear your and partgypsy's stories. I can invision the trials and efforts you both took; the pressures that society coerces unto women is disheartening.

What is this homophobic bullshit?

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #69 on: July 01, 2017, 03:03:18 PM »

Yeah... I think the entire fashion industry,  a lot of visual media, and certainly cosmetics and hair industries are all culpable, certainly not just the gay men.

Also, I think my comments might have been misinterpreted to mean that I spent all the time worrying about my body or weight when I was young. But I totally didn't.  I mean, I always had an image of my 'ideal' body and my 'ideal' weight in my head (I suspect most people do), and I felt good about myself to some degree when I attained those ideals occasionally, but I didn't make huge efforts to get there and I didn't worry much about it after my early 20s...just cut back on eating crap a bit if I started climbing to the high end of my typical weight range.  I mean, I didn't have time to worry much about it once I was in college full time!

My main point was just that my body's natural weight plateaus include one (~100 lbs) that looked totally healthy and normal in my twenties, but I discovered when I ended up there in my forties (from health problems, not efforts to lose weight), it was no longer comfortable or healthy looking.  My perceptions didn't change (Objectively, I really did look fine in my twenties at that weight, and objectively, I no longer do).  My body changed with age, so I had to adjust and try to take in more calories and keep my weight higher.

But this made me really question the limitations of BMI as a measurement of health.   My body was healthier and more functional in my twenties, but that 100 lbs that was normal and fine for me at that age (probably because I maintained more muscle) was still considered 'underweight' by the BMI.   

Anyway I am aware that a lot of women and girls [ETA: and in recent decades, a lot of men and boys as well] really do struggle with body image their entire life.  I could have fallen into that, I suspect, but by my twenties I was starting to focus more on body functionality and health. Also, several of my jobs emphasized physical performance.  None of my jobs emphasized clothes, makeup, hair, or appearance beyond basic cleanliness and presentation.  Most of my female friends took only passing interest in those things, also.  I never really read/watched a lot of material that focused on female appearance.  And I never had to deal with body shaming of any sort, from either gender, fortunately.

To sum up, I think body functionality and health should be more emphasized in our self-monitoring/cultural monitoring, than weight on a scale/BMI.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 03:05:50 PM by wenchsenior »

retiringearly

• Bristles
« Reply #70 on: July 01, 2017, 05:35:15 PM »

I agree with SimpleCycle.

That post was just 100% wrong.

Mmm_Donuts

• Bristles
« Reply #71 on: July 02, 2017, 06:46:35 AM »

Agreed.

kayvent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #72 on: July 02, 2017, 04:09:09 PM »

You disagree that [straight] men usually like women that look like women? Lol

GrumpyPenguin

• Bristles
« Reply #73 on: July 03, 2017, 10:44:47 AM »
I've got BMI down from 26.5 to 24.4 since about mid-April!  Significantly changed my eating and exercise habits to do so... hoping to get down to at least 23 and then maintain it there.  Still a long road ahead...
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 05:48:57 AM by GrumpyPenguin »

2Cent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #74 on: July 04, 2017, 03:48:14 AM »

Ok, so since the whole PC crowd can't seem to get past shouting homophobe, I will try to come up with some arguments instead to address this. While it is true that many fashion designers are gay (or woman), that does not mean they are forcing their desires on the models. The mistake you make is thinking that models are supposed to appeal to men. Instead they are supposed to appeal to woman who should buy the clothes. Or better put, the models should make the clothes look appealing to woman. And it just so happens that a thin woman makes the clothes look better. Most woman just want to clothes that make them look slim.

Having said that, I can see people like Karl Lagerfeld do give the impression it is like you said, but he is simply following the current fashion. It is woman who collectively vote for this with their wallets who perpetuate the thin fashion.

Mmm_Donuts

• Bristles
« Reply #75 on: July 04, 2017, 06:01:02 AM »
Or in other words, people who work in fashion are professionals who know their market and who gear their work towards what people are buying. Do you think a dentist does whatever they personally prefer to their clients' teeth? Why are media industries any different? They mirror what the public wants. I don't see why this needs explaining, any more than to say that the comment was blatantly homophobic.

ETA the homophobic part, if you need it explained, is the insinuation that a) gay men can't act in a professional manner and b) that they are attracted to prepubescent boys.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 06:06:48 AM by Mmm_Donuts »

2Cent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #76 on: July 04, 2017, 07:13:48 AM »
Or in other words, people who work in fashion are professionals who know their market and who gear their work towards what people are buying. Do you think a dentist does whatever they personally prefer to their clients' teeth? Why are media industries any different? They mirror what the public wants. I don't see why this needs explaining, any more than to say that the comment was blatantly homophobic.
I don't agree. See https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/off-topic/tolerance-of-racism-and-homophobia-on-this-site/msg1611721/#msg1611721 for the reason. And lets move the discussion to that thread.

jennifers

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #77 on: July 04, 2017, 09:29:24 AM »
5'9" and 114 lbs.  16.8. Pretty sure I'm skinny fat because I don't work out aside from walking my dogs and gentle yoga.

GrumpyPenguin

• Bristles
« Reply #78 on: July 05, 2017, 12:42:58 PM »
5'9" and 114 lbs.  16.8. Pretty sure I'm skinny fat because I don't work out aside from walking my dogs and gentle yoga.

Wow, have you ever had your percentage of bodyfat calculated?  I would think it'd be extremely low to have those numbers?

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #79 on: August 05, 2017, 05:28:38 PM »

No, I didn't go through any trials or tribulations to be at that body weight, my natural set point. So no, never dieted to be like that. Don't feel bad for me. I am also very lucky that both of my daughters are at healthy weights because I think "diet" is a 4 letter word. Healthy eating though, is different.