Poll

What do you think is the Mustachian way to keep things dry on a bike?

$25 Backpack, waterproof backpack cover
4 (36.4%)
$50 Panniers, waterproof pannier cover
2 (18.2%)
$50 waterproof above rack pack
1 (9.1%)
$100 low end waterproof panniers
1 (9.1%)
$150 high end waterproof fancy smancy turns into a backpack waterproof panniers
0 (0%)
Other
3 (27.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Author Topic: What's the Mustachian way to keep things dry on a bike?  (Read 3215 times)

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
What's the Mustachian way to keep things dry on a bike?
« on: December 07, 2015, 12:14:53 PM »
Currently I use a backpack with a cover that keeps my things dry, sometimes I have it on my back, sometimes I use bungees to strap it to my rack. Many people tell me to buy a $80-$200 panniers, even other mustachians. To me, this seems very unmustachian. A backpack can be found for $15, bungees for $5 and a waterproof backpack cover for $5. Why would you spend $150 for something to perform the same function as something you can get for $25? Bungeeing my backpack to my rack is a little time consuming and inconvenient, having it on my back is not the most comfortable, but surely the slight inconvenience or slight discomfort is preferable to spending an extra $125? What are your opinions?

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
Re: What's the Mustachian way to keep things dry on a bike?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2015, 12:29:40 PM »
I got panniers as a gift about 5 years ago, and it IS nice to have one or two less steps to do, and increases my carrying capacity from what I can fit in my backpack to what I can fit in my backpack + the panniers.
That said, they're not waterproof. For that I use extra plastic sacks.
Are they a necessity? No. But it's also a reasonable purchase with utility. Are you looking at new ones when you price these? A reasonably MMM way to approach this would be hitting up craigs list or ebay first.

TrMama

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2015, 12:34:48 PM »
I don't understand the fuss over waterproof bags. I've been bike commuting in the PNW for years and have never, ever had my stuff get wet. I use a good quality messenger bag that I've had for decades and just put my lunch and clothes in 2 separate plastic grocery bags. The plastic bags just keep my lunch from leaking onto my clothes. Nothing has ever gotten wet from rain.

Don't spend money on waterproof bags until your stuff actually gets wet.

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2015, 12:36:24 PM »
I got panniers as a gift about 5 years ago, and it IS nice to have one or two less steps to do, and increases my carrying capacity from what I can fit in my backpack to what I can fit in my backpack + the panniers.
That said, they're not waterproof. For that I use extra plastic sacks.
Are they a necessity? No. But it's also a reasonable purchase with utility. Are you looking at new ones when you price these? A reasonably MMM way to approach this would be hitting up craigs list or ebay first.
I checked craigslist, but my 30,000 person town isn't selling any panniers, ebay is a great idea that I hadn't checked yet, good idea. I know ebay is usually the way to go for used things that can be cheaply shipped, but for some reason I always forget to look there.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2015, 12:50:42 PM »
I don't understand the fuss over waterproof bags. I've been bike commuting in the PNW for years and have never, ever had my stuff get wet. I use a good quality messenger bag that I've had for decades and just put my lunch and clothes in 2 separate plastic grocery bags. The plastic bags just keep my lunch from leaking onto my clothes. Nothing has ever gotten wet from rain.

Don't spend money on waterproof bags until your stuff actually gets wet.

+1

I have been using the same system for years and don't have any problem getting stuff wet.  Grocery bags are a waterproof shield, and dirt cheap.

2Saving4Life

• Stubble
    • Evolving Escapades
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2015, 01:42:57 PM »
I use a scotch guarded backpack and have never had any leaking issues.  I cut the top of an old tool box off and mounted it to the bike rack.  I just use one bungee cord across the top of the bag to make sure its secure.  I hated trying to bungee the backpack directly to the rack. 

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2015, 04:02:32 PM »
If you live somewhere wet, and you commute by bike I think waterproof panniers can be pretty useful. Especially if you are carrying a laptop or something else you don't want to take any risks with. I have Seattle Sports Panniers that I really like. I bought them a while ago at REI for about $50 for the pair by combining a couple of their member coupons with a clearance sale.

Now I live somewhere that it doesn't really rain, and I no longer commute to work so that solved the problem in a more surefire way.
The waterproof panniers are a little redundant now but they were a good investment for the years I used them more regularly.

Lot's of previous discussion on the topic if you want to see more people's opinions.