Author Topic: What's the most you've ever spent on an article of clothing?  (Read 16228 times)

stor_stark

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I'm kind of piggybacking off of the "Spending money on new apparel" thread.

I was just wondering, what's the most that you all have ever spent on an item of clothing? What was it? Are you happy with the purchase now?

For me, I spent about $250 on some Allen Edmonds shoes a couple of years ago, and I'm quite happy. I've worn them a lot in both professional and more casual settings and will be able to get them resoled when they finally wear out in another couple of years.

I'm also planning on dropping $200 on a pair of Outlier pants that I hope to be able to wear 1000+ times. These are what I'm probably going to get in case anyone is curious or thinks that price is insane: http://shop.outlier.cc/shop/retail/slim-dungarees.html

Oh, and I'm a mid-20's guy if that matters.

dude

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What's the most you've ever spent on an article of clothing?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 07:21:50 AM »
I spend a lot of time outdoors in all 4 seasons, including northern New England winters (ice climbing, snowboarding, mountaineering), so good technical gear is mandatory.  Top item probably my softshell jacket @ $400 (I've bought nice suits and a tuxedo for a lot less!).

ace1224

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2014, 07:28:13 AM »
i spent 350 on a black cocktail dress.  love that thing.  i've had it for 12 years, i wear it to weddings, parties, and other formal functions i go to.  i even wore it on a super swanky date night one time!
the thing seriously looks brand new, great quality, classic style.  plus i love the way it fits me.  i probably could have found a cheaper one that would have done the same stuff, but i was young and stupid.  i'd do it again though.  i very rarely buy clothes now so when i do i don't mind spending more if that means less shopping down the road.

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2014, 07:31:21 AM »
okay, if shoes count mine is a pair of Lucchese cowboy boots I bought in college for $250. *facepunch* (no I don't actually ride horses or do anything of the sort, LOL) I still have them and like them but that was pretty dumb!

also, do specialized sports-related articles of clothing count? I think my sailing spray gear was pretty expensive... but actually split up into overalls and jacket it was definitely less than the boots per piece. I got it on super duper clearance at a Helly Hansen store that was closing. my drysuit was $450 but that was a gift (and also pretty much the best/most useful gift I've ever gotten, but I REALLY need to sell it now that I never ever have to sail when it's cold out ever again!!)

thinking back it's really hard to think of any articles of clothing (non-shoes) that I've paid more than $100 for... I've definitely bought a lot of stupid/unnecessary/high-end shit, but even pre-MMM I was a pretty committed bargain hunter. I got a super nice Arcteryx softshell jacket for $100 from Steep and Cheap a few years ago, definitely would never have paid full price for that one, but I love it and wear it a LOT.

i spent 350 on a black cocktail dress.  love that thing.  i've had it for 12 years, i wear it to weddings, parties, and other formal functions i go to.  i even wore it on a super swanky date night one time!
the thing seriously looks brand new, great quality, classic style.  plus i love the way it fits me.  i probably could have found a cheaper one that would have done the same stuff, but i was young and stupid.  i'd do it again though.  i very rarely buy clothes now so when i do i don't mind spending more if that means less shopping down the road.

this is the kind of thing that would be totally worth it for me (unless like you said you could pretty easily find the equivalent for cheaper!) I get kind of stressed out if I don't have something nice to wear for a formal event (I just don't dress up very often), but I don't mind wearing the same thing over and over again, especially a black dress where it's not obvious at all... so it's really nice to have a go-to outfit for those events that you feel great about!

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2014, 07:34:13 AM »
160 bucks bought a tux for my wedding.  was the same as renting.  and its baller and i can wear it in humor and jest now.

kyanamerinas

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2014, 07:37:35 AM »
i spent around $190 on a lovely, quality formal dress, like ace1224. I love it and wear to everything. I bought it a year ago and have already worn it to 6 events, with 2 more planned in the next few months. I hate the choosing part of getting dressed up but love being dressed up. now i can look forward to formal events rather than worry about what to wear. i had always wished i could do the guy thing and chuck on a suit. the dress is my suit.

shotgunwilly

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2014, 07:39:02 AM »
$500 on Lucchese ostrich quill boots.  They've been worth every penny.

stor_stark

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2014, 07:40:36 AM »
I spend a lot of time outdoors in all 4 seasons, including northern New England winters (ice climbing, snowboarding, mountaineering), so good technical gear is mandatory.  Top item probably my softshell jacket @ $400 (I've bought nice suits and a tuxedo for a lot less!).

I spent $150 on an Arc'teryx synthetic mid-layer that I absolutely love and have worn a ton. I'll probably be getting some sort of hard shell in the not too distant future. I have to admit that I really enjoy buying technical clothing, so it's a constant battle to balance true needs with wants.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2014, 07:47:19 AM »
Hands down #1 was my academic regalia (robe, hood, and tam) when I graduated with my PhD. Happily, my parents were so excited about the whole thing that they paid for it, because I didn't have the ~$450 to buy and would've rented or (more likely) skipped the ceremony altogether. Now I need that rig twice a year for graduations at the college where I teach. Barring a disaster, I expect it to last me the rest of my life.

Other than that, my high-dollar items are shoes with good arch support, mostly two pairs of Dansko clogs that I got on sale on consecutive years but were still nearly $100 each. Oh, and one pair of Doc Martens which ran $120 back when that was a lot more money than it is now, because they are over fifteen years old and going strong.

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2014, 08:01:53 AM »
If a suit counts as an article, I have spent $500 on a suit.  I've had it for about 5 years, still one of the favorite clothes item I have ever purchased.  Custom fit clothes are awesome.  I have a big ass and big quads, finding pants off the shelf is almost always a losing proposition.  I own plenty of illfitting work pants and jeans.  That custom tailored suit fits me like a glove and makes me look like a million bucks.

RFAAOATB

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2014, 08:05:39 AM »
Not a singular article of clothing but I spent somewhere between $1000 and $1500 for two suits along with shirts, ties, and , and tailoring at Men's Wearhouse when I was prepping for job interviews.  Probably spent too much but they looked good.  Problem was they looked too good, and I don't have much opportunity to wear them now and deal with dry cleaning fees.  There's a rip in one of the pants as well.

Now I want to buy a bunch of more affordable suits and separates but there's no store for that here, and even then its a big price tag I'm weary to commit to.  I bought a blazer for $80 at Sears on a recent trip and had to have it altered for $45.  I've worn it once since.

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2014, 08:08:31 AM »
$90 on a leather jacket (the biker type, like the Ramones wore) in 1988. Still got it, though it's a little tight across the belly now. Gonna pass it on to the next generation.

I would probably spend more than that on re-sole-able good shoes, if I understood better which shoes are worth it.

hybrid

• Handlebar Stache
  • A hybrid of MMM and thoughtful consumer.
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2014, 08:17:55 AM »
If a suit counts as an article, I have spent $500 on a suit.  I've had it for about 5 years, still one of the favorite clothes item I have ever purchased.  Custom fit clothes are awesome.  I have a big ass and big quads, finding pants off the shelf is almost always a losing proposition.  I own plenty of illfitting work pants and jeans.  That custom tailored suit fits me like a glove and makes me look like a million bucks.

Same here, about $400, and I purchased it before the job interview in my current position. I did not have a good suit at the time and I have been using that suit for every wedding, special occasion, etc. ever since.

Take that out of the equation and I have never spent $100 on an article of clothing, perhaps $80 for good work shoes (I am in IT, so I don't need dress shoes, Rockports are just fine).

crazy jane

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2014, 08:59:42 AM »
After the Green Bay Packers won the Super Bowl in the 90's, I had a jacket custom made to celebrate.  $450  I did have the sense to have it insulated and I wear it often in the winter and to the games in November/December/January. I plan to pass it on to my son, but am still enjoying wearing it, especially since I live in Chicago. It's often an interesting conversation starter.

Not really an article of clothing, but also in the 90's I needed a crown and had my dentist put the Packer G logo on the crown. $800

mak1277

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2014, 09:07:59 AM »

Same here, about $400, and I purchased it before the job interview in my current position. I did not have a good suit at the time and I have been using that suit for every wedding, special occasion, etc. ever since.

Take that out of the equation and I have never spent $100 on an article of clothing, perhaps $80 for good work shoes (I am in IT, so I don't need dress shoes, Rockports are just fine).

Add me to the list.  I bought a Brooks Brothers suit in 1999 when I graduated college...roughly $600.  Fifteen years later it still hasn't fallen apart (I've had to re-sew the coat lining but that's it), still looks good, and (amazingly) still fits.  Worth every penny.

shotgunwilly

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2014, 09:09:56 AM »
After the Green Bay Packers won the Super Bowl in the 90's, I had a jacket custom made to celebrate.  $450  I did have the sense to have it insulated and I wear it often in the winter and to the games in November/December/January. I plan to pass it on to my son, but am still enjoying wearing it, especially since I live in Chicago. It's often an interesting conversation starter.

Not really an article of clothing, but also in the 90's I needed a crown and had my dentist put the Packer G logo on the crown. $800

HAHAHAHA! This is awesome.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2014, 09:14:26 AM »

Same here. Bought a suit about 2.5 years ago when my mom passed for around 500$ when you add shirt etc.. since then I dont think i have spent more then 30-40$ on anything.

crazy jane

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2014, 09:14:57 AM »

HAHAHAHA! This is awesome.

Thanks. And I get to wear it every day.

JCfire

• Stubble
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2014, 09:38:50 AM »
Spent about $1200 on a suit two years ago.  I need to wear a suit for client interactions at work about 10-20 times a year, and I always wear this suit.  That means I've worn it about 30 times so far, and I suspect I'll be able to wear it at least 90 more before it gets retired, so it will end up costing me about $10 per wear. 

If I had it to do over again, I would have probably found something nearly as satisfactory for $800, and I would have done that.  Anything less than that would have probably been detrimental to my career earnings.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2014, 10:26:25 AM »
I spent about $80 last year on a new pair of Florsheim shoes for work.  Beyond that, I think my most pricey was $35 for a concert T-shirt at the concert.  I typically shop thrift stores for all clothing (<$5/article of clothing, sometimes as cheap as 79 cents), and my dad gave me an awesome fancy suit last week that last fit him in 1999 and is basically new.

skandrae

• Stubble
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2014, 02:22:20 PM »
I spent $600 on a Canada Goose parka when I moved up the Yukon, and it was worth every penny. It could be -50C and (provided I had on appropriate face/leg coverage) I would be sweating within 5 minutes walk of home.

rocklebock

• Stubble
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2014, 02:57:10 PM »
$400-ish on a handbag. Gift to self for finishing grad school and getting my first big-girl job. I still have it. That thing is beautiful, but it was a dumb thing to buy when I had $14k of brand-new student loan debt. I still have a weakness for high-end leather goods, but my cutoff is about $100-$150, once a year or so.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2014, 03:03:34 PM »
I love all of these "let's brag about our fancy spending" threads.  Seems like a new one pops up every few days.

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2014, 03:07:36 PM »
$90 on a leather jacket (the biker type, like the Ramones wore) in 1988. Still got it, though it's a little tight across the belly now. Gonna pass it on to the next generation.

Do I count as 'the next generation'?  You can pass it to me :)

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2014, 04:18:20 PM »
Every couple of years I make myself a quilted jacket. It usually takes several weeks of sewing, with all the details and the embroidery and quilting. They are my signature. I wear them all year, everywhere - so I get a lot of value out of them. And people ask me all the time if I will make them one (I say no). I guess they don't actually cost much in materials, but they would cost an awful amount if I was to buy them!

RyanHesson

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2014, 04:46:45 PM »
$110 on a suit (actually bought 2 suits each at $110).

Mrs. PoP

• Bristles
    • Planting Our Pennies
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2014, 05:21:22 PM »
My top two are a tie at $120. 
- A cashmere argyle jumper dress purchased in 2007 that I plan on wearing until I die.  Love that thing to death and wear it whenever weather cooperates. 
- Team jacket from the year I did club crew in college (2005).  It kept me so warm and dry on all those cold mornings on the river and I still wear it on mornings that are cold or misty biking to work.  Some of the waterproofing material is starting to shed on the interior, but I think that's fixable. 

Hope to keep both items forever. 

Erica/NWEdible

• Pencil Stache
    • Northwest Edible Life - life on garden time
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2014, 06:59:46 PM »
Wedding dress. It was $550 when you include the alteration fee. It was a floor model, discontinued dress, low-end company but everyone said I looked beautiful and the husband's still around, so it must have been good enough.

Emg03063

• Bristles
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2014, 07:22:17 PM »
$275 for an Acrteryx gore tex PAC lite shell (on clearance).  Used it for thru hiking the Appalachian trail in '06 and it had served as my primary jacket ever since.  It's pretty well worn out now, but Acrteryx has agreed to replace it, so I'd say I've been getting my money's worth out of it.

RapmasterD

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2014, 07:45:48 PM »
I spent $1,700 on a custom tailored suit because I wanted to impress sol.

MBot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2014, 07:52:31 PM »
$160 for a leather handbag from a local Toronto designer at the One of A Kind Craft show. I worke there one year cutting up fruitcake samples as a student. But I was so sick of purses that stained and shredded.  I almost bought a red purse but settled on a much more neutral soft blue-gray leather.
I wore it from 2004-2013, and the only thing wrong with it now is the front thin leather is far less faded than the sides, so it looks oddly two-tone now.

Then I found a black leather Coach purse, doctors-bag style for $6 at a thrift shop last year.... That's my guilt-free replacement.

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2014, 07:53:32 PM »
Ha!  I can't figure out a non-work expensive clothing purchase.  Work wise, suit at probably $350 and Allen Edmonds shoes in the low $200s.    These are entirely based off work need and cost per wear.  If I were an engineer, not a chance I'd wear this stuff.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Caoineag

• Pencil Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2014, 08:10:44 PM »
$300 on a soft leather insulated long jacket that lasted me 10 years (soft leather unfortunately is not as sturdy as standard leather which can last decades). I wore it all late fall/winter/early spring long which at the time was about 6 months of the year where I was living. I wish I got that much use out of any other piece of clothing before destroying it. :(

FuckRx

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2014, 07:22:41 AM »
I love all of these "let's brag about our fancy spending" threads.  Seems like a new one pops up every few days.

I don't think so Sol. I mean maybe some people are out to brag but it's more like a "confession" thing. you get to realize that even if you did something as stupid as pay $1200-1500 for a suit you can still be a mustachian. it's nice knowing that so many of us can be different but still be shooting for the same goals. or at least that's how i see it, i might be wrong.

cmk

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2014, 07:30:24 AM »
$800 for my wedding dress in my pre-mustachian days.  It's still in the cleaner's box, maybe a future daughter-in-law can use it, if she happens to be close to my size and doesn't mind 3-decade old styles!

frugaliknowit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2014, 08:01:53 AM »
$550 for a "Top Gun" leather flight jacket (exactly like the one Tom Cruise wore in the movie).  When I tried it on in 1987, I didn't even think about it.  I just plucked down the credit card.  I still have and still love it.  I get compliments all of the time.  Anyone have ideas on re-doing the lining cheaply?

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2014, 09:54:40 AM »
$800 for my wedding dress in my pre-mustachian days.  It's still in the cleaner's box, maybe a future daughter-in-law can use it, if she happens to be close to my size and doesn't mind 3-decade old styles!

if it's in good shape and in a style you think someone might possibly want, you could try selling it online, there are a few specialty sites for this. if my grandma's wedding dress (also worn by my mom) were in better shape, I would totally wear it... it's from the '50s and beautiful!

SpendyMcSpend

• Bristles
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2014, 03:01:09 PM »
Arc'terx softshell snowboarding jacket for $250-350 (can't remember exactly)

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2014, 04:50:59 PM »
Do I count as 'the next generation'? 

Probably not. Although... what's your mom's name? :-)

libertarian4321

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2014, 04:45:25 AM »
Probably about $200 for a suit.

Other than that, nothing even comes close to $100.

Clothes are cheap, people, there is no need to spend ridiculous amounts of money on them.

JCfire

• Stubble
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2014, 05:57:39 AM »
$275 for an Acrteryx gore tex PAC lite shell (on clearance).  Used it for thru hiking the Appalachian trail in '06 and it had served as my primary jacket ever since.  It's pretty well worn out now, but Acrteryx has agreed to replace it, so I'd say I've been getting my money's worth out of it.

I'd say its hard NOT to get your money's worth on a clearance item that was functional and survived a thru hike!  My congratulations and jealousy to you on that supreme act of badassity.

gradstudent

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2014, 10:07:10 AM »
It's not on a single article, but $800 on 3 suits, two sportcoats, a peacoat, and 8 shirts all custom made to my sizes. Best money I've ever spent. All of the clothes feel like a million bucks and look the same too. I got them made in Thailand-highly recommended as a great place to visit with friendly people, cheap and delicious food, very reasonable lodging, and the ability to get custom made clothes in 72 hours.

more4less

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2014, 08:01:11 PM »
$400 on Hugo Boss leather jacket. Hey! I got it with 1/3 off! Awesome deal. The funniest part - I wore it like 4 times. ^)

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2014, 08:16:33 PM »
$400 on Hugo Boss leather jacket. Hey! I got it with 1/3 off! Awesome deal. The funniest part - I wore it like 4 times. ^)

This is so the opposite of "awesome deal" that I cannot comprehend even joking about it.  At that rate, each individual time you wore that jacket would have provided 8 chickens to a starving family, enough to save the life of at least one of their children. 

Even if it was 99% off, that jacket is a black mark on your soul.

</judgy>

eostache

• Stubble
« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2014, 08:29:54 PM »
$120 for a pair of Sidi cycling shoes. They were on sale. This was back in 2008. They still look like new. Sidis last a long time.

I have a lot of high end hiking/travel type clothes, North Face, REI, Exofficio, etc. I get it all at yard sales and thrift stores. I have been collecting merino wool clothes (Ice Breaker, Smartwool, Ibex) and have several nice items that I got for a few dollars each.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2014, 08:51:28 PM »
A few years ago my rich boyfriend bought me a couture Armani outfit. It was so ridiculously expensive I won't even say it here. I didn't. Feel right about it then and I still don't and even though it will probably never fit again, I can't seem to get rid of it. It wastes space in my closet. I listed it on eBay once but it only got bids up to about 250$, so I de-listed it. It seemed like wasting money even though it's probably moth eaten because I haven't touched it in 10 years. What a colossal waste!   

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2014, 10:14:18 PM »

My husband bought a Hugo Boss suit once. $25 from the Salvos. He wore it for about 4 years before it fell apart.

Mine? My wedding dress. Well and truly pre-mustachian, I paid $2,060 for it. Just the dress.

In my defence that was half the cost of the entire wedding. Still...

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #47 on: July 15, 2014, 10:47:14 PM »
I survived this polar vortex winter in Illinois using my 3-years old, cheap, molting, broken-zipper down coat. Since it wouldn't last another winter, I figured I'd take advantage of some end of season sales. So in March I snagged a warm, fluffy, gorgeous North Face coat for $200.

6 weeks later my advisor told us we were (probably, now definitely) moving to the LA area. Womp womp. I'm keeping it, but I feel like if I had known 6 weeks earlier this was even a possibility, I might have made do with the old coat or layers for the 2 weeks/year I might need something that heavy for the next two years, and bought a new coat IF I moved somewhere cold after grad school.