Author Topic: What's the best way to transport my 4-6 year old on a bike?  (Read 10546 times)

CupcakeStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
What's the best way to transport my 4-6 year old on a bike?
« on: October 03, 2013, 09:55:13 PM »
I've been running errands and transporting my 4 year old son around town in a bike trailer since March or so (after requesting MMM community help to choose a bike trailer!). It's been fantastic so far, and we both love it, but I think we're outgrowing this solution. My son is very tall, and he no longer fits in the trailer without the top pressing against his head. It's fabric, but he still finds it annoying. He also has started to express dissatisfaction with being far behind me.

He can ride his own bike, but he doesn't have the endurance to do so for normal transportation and errands. I also don't trust him yet to interact appropriately and safely with other bikes and cars and people.

What's the best way to transport a child who is a bit too big for a trailer, but not yet mature enough/strong enough to ride solo? Are there modifications/add-ons I can get for my bike? Do I need to purchase a new bike that is designed to haul kids on a back seat? I only have one child to worry about, so the most I would ever need to haul is one child + some groceries.

KulshanGirl

• Bristles
Re: What's the best way to transport my 4-6 year old on a bike?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 10:30:55 PM »
I have a WeeHoo, it's a recumbant ride-behind that you can strap the small'un into.  Less fall-offy than a regular ride behind.

That said, my three year old has adamantly refused to ride that way so far, so I can't give a full review.  Others online at both REI and Amazon have gushed about it though.  Spendy, but should last until age 8 or 9. 

JT

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 10:34:35 PM »
Hi Cupcake Stash

We had exactly the same issue and bought a Tag-a-long - although our son was older than yours when we used one.

Here's an example of one:

http://www.avantibikes.co.nz/trailer/hangon1.aspx?bid=360

iamlindoro

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Earth Awaits
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 10:34:59 PM »
The non-recumbent version of the WeeHoo mentioned above also seems quite popular around here:

http://www.amazon.com/WeeRide-96455-Co-Pilot-Bike-Trailer/dp/B003XNFMLS

JT

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 10:37:09 PM »

nico demouse

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2013, 05:37:57 AM »
We also have a "tag-a-long" that attaches to my normal bike. Search craigslist, but use lots of different search terms -- trail-a-bike, trailer bike, tow bike, and such. They are expensive at the bike shops but we found several on CL in the $40 price range.

We use it to get back and forth to school everyday plus recreational riding. The great part is that his pedaling really does help (nice on hills) but when he gets tired he can just chill out back there.

CupcakeStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2013, 07:38:59 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions! The WeeHoo looks like it might be perfect. I will start doing some more research now and monitoring craigslist. :)

lackofstache

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2013, 09:36:26 PM »
I use a Yuba Mundo & haul my 5 & 2 year old on it. I bought the frame & used parts I had to build it up, but its much better than a trailer & the trail-a-bikes I've used. It's simple, can haul kids, groceries, etc. I've ridden 45 miles w/ the 5 year old & camping gear & had a blast.

Heather

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2013, 06:52:39 AM »
We were given a used tagalong type bike.  We haven't used it much because after about 10 minutes of pedalling, my son (then 4) would start getting creative, tipping the bike back and forth attempting to affect the direction we were going, and trying stunts like putting his foot on the wheel in front of him, or on the ground.  Silly fellow.  Maybe he's ready to stay out of trouble now that he's 5.   He can bike quite far himself , but is only old enough for quiet residential roads.
Luckily there seem to be lots of tagalong bikes on the used market, so there should be no risk to just trying one out.

Left

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2013, 07:11:11 AM »
Can you do something like this? There's an instructables page on how to make this yourself but this link has a video demostrating it
http://www.thegrannybike.com/

Anyways, if you buy him his own bike, he'll be free to bike and when he's tired, tie the two bikes together? But you'll need to carry materials with you so it's a hassel