Author Topic: What's the "catch" with a Nissan Versa?  (Read 3231 times)

ender

• Walrus Stache
What's the "catch" with a Nissan Versa?
« on: October 08, 2016, 01:55:08 PM »
Sort of looking at getting a newer vehicle.

Wanting a hatchback or wagon and the Nissan Versa keeps popping up. You can get ~1 year old ones with only 30k-40k miles for under $10k. Our local dealership has about 10 in this range for $9.5k or so which suggests to me I could get one for under $9k trivially, given that they have literally 10 of the same car on their lot and newer ones are relatively cheap, too.

What's the catch? Boringness? Or what? I don't understand why they are so cheap. For someone who sees vehicles as appliances they sure seem like the perfect car. I'd guess with a 1.6L engine their 0-60 would suck but I don't really care.

Physicsteacher

• Pencil Stache
Re: What's the "catch" with a Nissan Versa?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2016, 02:11:36 PM »
I have a 2011 Nissan Versa hatchback, and it is indeed an excellent appliance. The only issue with mine is that the clear coat over the paint is peeling really badly so it looks crummy, but that's probably because it was badly hail damaged and repaired before I got it. It was going to be a rental car, but the company sold it after the hail so I was able to score it used with under 70 miles on it in 2011. It is boring but has been completely reliable.

mires

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2016, 02:12:06 PM »
They were a cheap car to begin with and they were rentals that were just pulled out of the fleet due to their mileage.

obstinate

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2016, 03:40:23 PM »
No catch for a Mustachian. I drove one as a rental while my Prius was in the shop and was surprised to find it significantly more powerful. My Prius already has more than enough power to get me to highway speeds in a reasonable timeframe, so that means that the Versa does too. Finishes aren't great, but the seats are comfortable enough and it is more than sufficient. Fuel efficiency with the CVT was fantastic (>40 mpg combined city/hwy if you baby it as I do).
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 11:27:08 PM by obstinate »

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2016, 07:15:35 PM »
I work with 3 people who have them.  They love them!  In fact, one sold his and bought another one after maybe 5 years.  No issues from any of them as far as I know.  They say they are good, dependable cars that hold a lot more stuff than you would think.

Go get it!  :)