Author Topic: What's on your Xmas/B-day/wish list  (Read 21501 times)

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
What's on your Xmas/B-day/wish list
« on: October 17, 2014, 12:32:01 PM »
To avoid crap gifts and consumerist junk at Xmas-time, I provide my family members with very specific lists of things I want or need. 

What's on your list? 

This year, I'll be asking for:

1.  Leviton Decora z-wave controls scene capable universal dimmer.
2.  Leviton Decora wallplate screwless, snap-on.  1-gang and 3-gang
3.  Slipcovers for two couches (I'll provide the fabric, just asking mom to do the sewing)
4.  Covers for two bolster pillows (I'll provide the fabric from remnants of my upholstered headboard and reuse my existing bolster pillows
5.  Hario VDG-02B V60 Glass Coffee Dripper (I don't drink coffee, but I want something for my guests who like regular coffee
6.  Coffee filters
7.  Burt's Bees Lip tint in caramel color
8.  Apple itunes gift card ($30) to buy Season 3 of Homeland
9.  Puffs purse-pack facial tissues
10. Dental Floss
11. Blue kitchen sponges with one scrubby side
12. Quantity (up to 17):  Dimmable LED lights  (reflector) (recessed type)  (I need to look up the exact bulb I want so there are no errors made)

Jessa

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
Re: What's on your Xmas/B-day/wish list
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 12:39:52 PM »
We're trying to see if we can get everyone to cut back on the Christmas gifts this year. If not...

a bicylcle helmet (yes, I should have one...I don't...If I don't get it for Christmas, I will get one at some point this winter)

the items from this thread http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/share-your-badassity/my-experience-making-homebrew-cider-for-5-years/

umm. gift cards to Stop & Shop.

I'll have to think a little more.

AllieVaulter

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2014, 12:49:10 PM »
The main things on my wishlist are:
1.  A grain mill so we can make our own rice flour (we're GF)
2.  Pull out kitchen pantry drawer/shelves (so I can see all our non-perishables, sometimes they get pushed to the back)

Unfortunately, both of those are pretty pricey, I don't expect I'll be getting them.  I also give out smaller practical items (like lightbulbs, biking gear, etc).  But I often have a hard time convincing people that I really want to receive these things as gifts.  They seem boring to other people.  Do you have any tips on convincing people that I like boring presents?

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2014, 01:08:48 PM »
But I often have a hard time convincing people that I really want to receive these things as gifts.  They seem boring to other people.  Do you have any tips on convincing people that I like boring presents?

Try buying a few of the things you want, wrapping them up, then gifting them to yourself.  I've done that a few years with dish detergent, toothbrushes, toothpaste, floss, etc.  I make a big deal of it when I open my stocking gifts by saying "I love this and I can never find the best brand" or "ohhh, new toothbrush technology"  Sometimes they know I've bought it myself, sometimes they don't.  Either way, they see my reaction and genuinely want to make me happy...so it seems to work. 
In my family, some of us hate the junk, but others love the whole opening presents thing.  I find if I start wrapping things to myself and putting them under the tree, then no one feels that I'm deprived and thus they think the shopping "for me" is finished.  We have so much stuff under the tree, you'd think we looted a department store.  But then the vast majority of it is anything we bought at a store that month for ourselves (or even dinner items for the next day). 
Why, one might ask, do we bother to wrap that kind of stuff?  It seems to work even for the people who really want to open a lot of gifts.  It's the act of opening a present and no one really ever cares what's inside of it.   

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2014, 01:27:00 PM »
Same as every year: $$.

I'd rather invest people's charity (more beneficial in the long run) than get more shit I don't need or possibly one thing I do need but can buy myself for 1/4 the price.

epipenguin

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2014, 01:43:37 PM »
The best thing my family ever did was to agree to no gifts for adults. So my wish is to enjoy a nice meal together.

tmac

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2014, 02:01:54 PM »
This doesn't come up a lot for me. My husband and I choose our own presents, my kids make me a card and do something nice for me, and my parents give me something they know I need and something homemade by mom. No one else exchanges presents.

For the one gifty friend I have, I direct her towards consumables. Last year, she bought me fancy stationary and it's been so nice to write each other letters all year. So I've asked her to do it again. I got her a coffee mug with Beyonce the Chicken on it.

GardenFun

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2014, 02:19:05 PM »
In-laws give $$ so that works great.

Here's my current list:
- Candy Thermometer
- Money for Sirius XM radio (I know, I know, I get a face punch but it is SO AWESOME on long trips).
- Nice lunch together
- Perfume
- Mani/Pedi (it's a treat!)

These are items that most of my family and friends like to buy or do, and I like them too, just don't find them necessary.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2014, 02:19:30 PM »
- Gift cards to places I frequent
- Tickets to fun shows or events
- Edible things
- Spongebob Squarepants 2015 wall calendar
- Subscription to cooking magazine I like

My boyfriend and I make each other stockings with food and scratch and wins, otherwise don't exchange gifts. His parents get their favourite blueberry lemon scones. A few other people get funny cards. That's it.

AllieVaulter

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2014, 03:08:48 PM »
But I often have a hard time convincing people that I really want to receive these things as gifts.  They seem boring to other people.  Do you have any tips on convincing people that I like boring presents?

Try buying a few of the things you want, wrapping them up, then gifting them to yourself.

That's sneaky!  I like it.  I'll have to try it and see if anyone figures it out. 

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2014, 03:29:06 PM »
The only things on my wishlist are books. I love books. Love to look at them, touch them, smell them, even, occasionally, read them.

But then I read MMM's article about public libraries. http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2011/11/08/get-rich-with-the-library/ I've always been a fan of libraries, but I never saw them as an extension of my own home library. Now I'm going to get rid of all the books I have at home and make liberal use of my brand-new library they're building just down the street.

But now what do I do with my wish list? If all I want are books, but I don't even want them anymore...

GardenFun

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2014, 03:51:24 PM »
The only things on my wishlist are books. I love books. Love to look at them, touch them, smell them, even, occasionally, read them.

But then I read MMM's article about public libraries. http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2011/11/08/get-rich-with-the-library/ I've always been a fan of libraries, but I never saw them as an extension of my own home library. Now I'm going to get rid of all the books I have at home and make liberal use of my brand-new library they're building just down the street.

But now what do I do with my wish list? If all I want are books, but I don't even want them anymore...

Is there something you like to do while reading?  Drink coffee/tea/wine?  Think of something to combine with your favorite activity. 

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2014, 03:54:11 PM »
To be left alone as usual. I buy my own shit!

southern granny

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2014, 05:12:29 PM »
gift cards to the movie theater.  I love going to movies, but feel guilty about spending the money.  Saw "The Judge" this week and it was pretty good.

Prepube

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2014, 05:34:51 PM »
To be left alone as usual. I buy my own shit!
Bah, humbug.  Gimp the Grinch.  Money is always on my Christmas wish list, and I would never return it to the store.     

alibean

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2014, 08:49:32 PM »
I'm asking family members to lend their babysitting services for my 2 kids.  We typically pay $10-12/hr plus tip so this would be quite a savings on date night. 

Movie, iTunes  and Barnes and Noble gift cards.  Maybe restaurant gift cards too.  There are pretty few places we eat out though. 

I'm considering asking my husband for an iPad.  I've been wanting one for a long time but I keep telling him not to get me one b/c it's a waste of money.  I'm starting to get weak though.  I think a better purchase would be a new suitcase.  The zipper tabs have come off of our other one and it's such a pain to close- and it's also really beat up. 

AllieVaulter

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2014, 11:53:52 PM »
I'm considering asking my husband for an iPad.  I've been wanting one for a long time but I keep telling him not to get me one b/c it's a waste of money.  I'm starting to get weak though.  I think a better purchase would be a new suitcase.  The zipper tabs have come off of our other one and it's such a pain to close- and it's also really beat up.

You can hold out longer!  Don't give in to the iPad!  Do you have a gift price limit set for you and your husband?  That can really help prevent being overwhelmed by the bills from holiday purchases.  It can be hard to switch to a price limit, but it can be really fun to think of creative ways of giving. 

tofuchampion

• Bristles
    • MadeByMarilynM
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2014, 01:27:18 AM »
my current wishlist:

- Aikido weapons set
- cycling indoor trainer
- sewing machine
- 2015 Erin Condren Life Planner

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2014, 05:40:12 AM »
So far an battery operated Edger for my lawn. Dont need much else that i can think of.

TheRabbit

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2014, 06:25:47 AM »
-5 gallons of paint
-drop cloth
-rollers
-paint brushes for edging

Time to paint the walls on my newly-purchased home! This will provide hours of entertainment and increase the pleasure I get from my living space. Excellent gift!

Mrs. Frugalwoods

• Bristles
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2014, 08:23:31 AM »
-Stock pot
-Measuring cup
-Corelle plates
-Mattress pad

Last year I asked for gift cards to Costco and Amazon and no one believed me. I instead received gift cards to Bed, Bath & Beyond and Anthropologie. Needless to say, both of those gift cards are unused and will likely be used to buy Christmas gifts for other people this year. Don't get me wrong, I'm very grateful for my family's generosity, I just wish they'd believe me :)

Thus, I'm taking a different tack and simply asking for the things we would buy at Costco and Amazon :)

retired?

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2014, 09:38:32 AM »
Clothes.  I try to come up with a few things.  My wife is pretty good at picking up hints (I don't mean them as hints) over the course of the year.

To me, peace, quiet, no obligations, a good meal, perhaps some football on TV or a movie, nice walk outside, a dip in the hot tub.  Watching my kids enjoy opening their presents.

My family is pretty good at not trying to buy me stuff they think is fun or that I'll enjoy. 

Keeping $$ in my account.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2014, 09:52:07 AM »
As of this morning, probably new riding boots.  The lining on my ~4 year old pair just failed and I'm not sure it's repairable (will have the Shoe Guy take a look).

A leather or horsehair belt with a nice vintage silver buckle (totally spendypants item)

Hoping for more Starbuck's gift cards from the in-laws, the ones they gave me last Christmas have lasted all year

Stuff for my truck - Husky Liners to replace the carpet floor mats, a gallon of the DIY truck bed liner stuff, maybe seat covers

Write Thyme

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • I will get there one day.
    • Simple Living. Saving + Frugality. Meal Planning.
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2014, 11:37:17 AM »
Gift cards to the local pizza place and to grocery stores.
Ingredients for making gifts for next Christmas. (vanilla bubble bath, vanilla extract)
Stainless steel mini muffin pan + fun liners so I can make my soon to be toddler healthy muffins.
Hot white chocolate mix. That's expensive stuff.

The other day my mom commented that she bought me something for Christmas, but she's not sure I'll like it. Oh well, it's the thought that counts.

carozy

• Bristles
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2014, 11:57:12 AM »
I also like gift cards.  Starbucks, Amazon, or movie theatres.  This way I can lounge in a cafe with my laptop guilt free, catch a movie, or get an ebook that's not available through Overdrive.  If a local bike shop offered gift cards, that'd be great too.  Other than that I don't need more stuff.

fb132

« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2014, 12:00:26 PM »
All I want is either cash so I can invest (especially with the stock market down) or an ebike.

Meggslynn

• Bristles
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2014, 12:22:09 PM »

1. An LLBean flannel housecoat - my cheapy one lasted 12 years and the holes are getting annoying, plus this is a must have in the great white north
2. The first book of K.F. century trilogy series
3. An LLBean flannel duvet cover
4. Coffee gift cards and movie passes
5. New cookie sheets

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2014, 12:37:30 PM »
Oh this drives me nuts,

My Mum and Dad live in the UK and I live in Oregon. Every year we HAVE send each other gifts and spend more on shipping this useless crap back and forth than its worth.

Every year I plead.. "Can't we just send cards this is stupid!"... and every year we ship more crap.. arrgh!

Frank

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2014, 12:49:52 PM »
Oh this drives me nuts,

My Mum and Dad live in the UK and I live in Oregon. Every year we HAVE send each other gifts and spend more on shipping this useless crap back and forth than its worth.

Every year I plead.. "Can't we just send cards this is stupid!"... and every year we ship more crap.. arrgh!

Frank

Any chance of buying something online from a UK-based e-business and then paying only local shipping?

minimustache1985

• Stubble
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2014, 02:04:05 PM »
  • Apron- somehow I don't have one and I'm not the cleanest cook
  • Aveeno lavender bubble bath- such a relaxing treat
  • Loaf pan- now that I bake from scratch more it makes sense to have one
  • Lunch containers- my plastic lunch containers have seen better days

I could also use some new jeans for work, but I'll need to get those myself to make sure they fit right.

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2014, 02:12:07 PM »
Skinnygirl's Cocktails-book avail on Amazon
iTunes gift card

crazy jane

• Bristles
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2014, 06:55:17 PM »
My wish is that people who want to give me a gift come to my house, take something they would like from me, and keep it forever. I'm in serious decumulation mode.

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2014, 07:38:13 PM »
Even though I am an adult, I am still "a kid." I am required to receive presents for my mom's three brothers. They will not give me cash. The oldest gives my mom and I gift cards for restaurants.
I convinced the other two to give me amazon gift cards, but they only agree to that if I have a gift in mind. I always get cooking stuff. This year for Chanukah I will get amazon gift cards and I will save them for another year, and the second year I get the gift cards, I will use all the money for a high end Vitamix.

amberfocus

• Stubble
  • Hell hath no fury like a Mustachian with FU money
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2014, 09:18:38 PM »
We don't do holiday or bday gifts for adults (to my utter relief), but we get a treat for the cats every year. This year, we're thinking about either an electric blanket and/or heated cat bed, to keep us/them warm when the thermostat is at an uber-Mustachian 50F. :)

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2014, 09:31:42 PM »
My wish is that people who want to give me a gift come to my house, take something they would like from me, and keep it forever.

:-)  That's a good one!  I'll put that on my list!

If anyone insists on making a purchase that they will convey to me, shelf stable consumables are appreciated (dark chocolate, olive oil, wine, jelly, etc.)

C. K.

• Bristles
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2014, 12:28:47 PM »
Spending time with the local family; we've already spent lots of time with extended family throughout the year due to weddings and what not.

Not having to go anywhere for the rest of the year would be bliss.

so.mpls

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2014, 12:42:53 PM »
Ugh, My family and my wife's are both all about the gift exchange.  I'm very envious of those of you who don't to gifts for adults.

So far I have

1. Beer brewing supplies
2. Food scale
3. Assorted tools

I will probably get none of these things, and instead be given a dozen sweaters that don't fit and I'll have to spend a day driving around and returning them for store credit.  And someone will probably buy me a damn e-reader again.

oinkette

• Stubble
  • Well behaved women rarely make history.
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2014, 12:48:09 PM »
I successfully got my family to ditch the x-mas gift giving a few years ago. It helps that I don't live in the same city and come during other holidays (I'm sure they exchange amongst themselves behind my back!).  It was a pretty dumb cycle though: we all send out lists, every other person coordinates what they are going to get for someone from said lists. Just get what you want and avoid the wrapping! 

The bonus was my dad "likes to be surprised" and likes to surprise others.  The former makes my life a headache, the latter always ends up on ebay. Sigh.

For me it has always been gift cards or cash:

Amazon
Target
gas
Starbucks (this will change as I throw down my gauntlet in the new year)
Intimacy (I need special bras, and they ain't cheap!)

I've always been practical about gifts so these fit the bill.  If I wanted a "treat" my mom knows there is a particular restaraunt in town I'm addicted to, or itunes for more music to workout to.

RFAAOATB

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2014, 01:12:38 PM »
For the teenage set that asks what I want, I try to pick something affordable, enjoyable, and something I might not buy myself.   Last year it was more ties, this year it is the daily Dilbert desk calendar and maybe pocket silks.

OSUBearCub

• Bristles
  • Tackling student loan debt/not saving dryer lint.
« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2014, 02:39:13 PM »
10. Dental Floss
11. Blue kitchen sponges with one scrubby side

First, can I trade you for one of my three sisters?! Ha ha

Second, you've helped me feel a lot more comfortable with my yearly request for socks and boxers! :-)

guitar_stitch

• Bristles
« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2014, 02:52:37 PM »
Since nobody in my family is anywhere close to FI, I ask them to take the money they are willing to spend on me for a thoughtless trivial holiday laden with consumerism and marketing bullshit and sink it into one of their MANY high interest, high balance credit cards.

OSUBearCub

• Bristles
  • Tackling student loan debt/not saving dryer lint.
« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2014, 03:15:36 PM »
Slightly Off Topic - There are kind-hearted, direct, and effective ways to communicate alternative desires or lack of desire for for a gift.  I use humor to get my white socks and boxer shorts, singing a goofy song about my "Holy Underwear" (don't knock it, it's a hit with anyone under 10 years old ha ha). 

Likewise, I'm very honest with my family about my financial goals and the fact that I'm gladly buying presents for 6 nieces and nephews while having no kids of my own nor expecting gifts for myself.  They understand the modest nature of my gift giving because we communicate.  No one in this scenario faults a gift-giver or the gifts given.

I understand anti-consumerism and agree that consumerism is a problem.  Be the change you need to see in the world but also be gentle to your loved ones who may not get it yet.  A gift is an expression of love and there are ways to deal with an unwanted gift that need not hurt the feelings of the gift-giver.

daymare

• Bristles
« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2014, 09:22:21 AM »
I understand anti-consumerism and agree that consumerism is a problem.  Be the change you need to see in the world but also be gentle to your loved ones who may not get it yet.  A gift is an expression of love and there are ways to deal with an unwanted gift that need not hurt the feelings of the gift-giver.

I really want to change the way my family and my husband's family does gifts.  Of course, I'm more comfortable making changes with my own - we pretty much end up each of us getting everybody one gift, with my parents getting my brother and I something more expensive.  The last few years, my brother's been asking for tools (he's re-building an old BMW and builds a bunch of cool stuff, very handy) and last year I asked for money to buy running gear & new shoes, the year before that I asked for hiking boots.  My family basically is not great at picking out gifts, and we all have everything we need.  My mom doesn't work anymore due to health issues, so I try to ask her for stuff she can find at awesome prices on ebay (she enjoys doing this & has the time) - this year I'll ask for a wool sweater.  My brother and dad don't enjoy shopping - I know for a fact my brother tends to do all his shopping the day before ;).  I think I'll bring this up over Thanksgiving - try to offer my parents something more helpful, like my husband and I taking a day to declutter/throw away/clean up their basement so that selling their house/moving is easier.  As for my brother - I'd much rather spend time with him & his gf playing a board game or baking a cake, and I'm sure he'll feel the same.  So I'll try to do it (and report back if I remember) -- keep gift giving at a minimum, try to do away with it with my family!

We'll see about husband's family - their gift exchange actually makes me feel kinda sick, sooo much stuff (and a lot of it doesn't seem that thoughtful/well-gifted).  I'm encouraging him to touch base with his family to see if they still enjoy this pattern they've fallen into, or if something different would be just as nice.

My issue is that I actually don't like gifting.  I don't enjoy buying gifts, and I don't enjoy getting them (unless it involves me saying what I want, then getting it, which my parents do and prefer).  I also really hate clutter, and live in a small apartment in a city. (OK, not that small, but I'd like to keep it open and liveable and not full of stuff).  I legitimately prefer not getting anything, to getting stuff that is OK and I don't really want - some people reaaally don't get that.

Chranstronaut

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2014, 09:36:42 AM »

In the past, I've asked for a book that is out-of-print or otherwise a little tricky to get from the library or average used bookstore.  This gives my mom a chance to actually go shopping, support the local rare & used book stores and still wrap and give me something I really want.  Win/win/win.  I always request a couple other backup options in case she honestly can't get a copy.

rujancified

• Stubble
« Reply #44 on: October 23, 2014, 10:47:20 AM »
-Stock pot
-Measuring cup
-Corelle plates
-Mattress pad

Last year I asked for gift cards to Costco and Amazon and no one believed me. I instead received gift cards to Bed, Bath & Beyond and Anthropologie. Needless to say, both of those gift cards are unused and will likely be used to buy Christmas gifts for other people this year. Don't get me wrong, I'm very grateful for my family's generosity, I just wish they'd believe me :)

Thus, I'm taking a different tack and simply asking for the things we would buy at Costco and Amazon :)

Too funny! I always ask for boring stuff as well (target & amazon GCs are the BEST because I can buy pretty much everything in the world from those two). My husband's family is really good at getting consumables - I haven't had to buy bathroom soap and body lotion since we got engaged!

I thought about buying my parents/brother's family Amazon Prime for a year, but I'm not sure my parents would use it enough and we have another good idea for my bro. We'll see. Trying to keep things cheaper this year.

retired?

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #45 on: October 23, 2014, 09:08:49 PM »
Portable speaker set to connect to my phone while using Pandora.

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #46 on: October 24, 2014, 05:53:36 AM »
From hubby, just a bottle of alcohol like whisky or gin. Maybe some chocolates. The less stuff in our house, the better.

Overseas Stache

• Stubble
« Reply #47 on: October 24, 2014, 06:18:47 AM »
I get that some people love giving and getting gifts. But I personally think giving gifts to adults is very silly. If I need or want something I will buy it, I don't wait all year for something just hoping that someone will ask me what do I want for Christmas so I can give them a list of things that I can easily get for myself. I find it especially weird now that I have children, and still my mom, grandma, and aunts/uncles asking what I or my wife want for our birthday. Just get my kids something for their birthday, but really you should just forget about mine.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #48 on: October 24, 2014, 06:57:30 AM »
Money.

The purchases I have coming up are all pretty large, because I want very specific things that require researching, saving up for a long time, and scouring for used models when possible.

hodedofome

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #49 on: October 24, 2014, 10:41:21 AM »
I only ask for money anymore. Then I buy iPads/cell phones/home theater equiment (geeky stuff) or trading/investing books with it.