Author Topic: What's for dinner?  (Read 23023 times)

Nickyd£g

• Stubble
Re: What's for dinner tonight?
« Reply #50 on: October 01, 2015, 06:03:11 AM »
Grass fed steak, a home made mushroom, cream & paprika sauce and roasted peppers, onions, courgette, tomatoes and asparagus.  I eat low carb-ish.  Cost of this meal: approx £3.50.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #51 on: October 01, 2015, 07:07:22 AM »
Grass fed steak, a home made mushroom, cream & paprika sauce and roasted peppers, onions, courgette, tomatoes and asparagus.  I eat low carb-ish.  Cost of this meal: approx £3.50.

love low carb.  never felt better than when i follow it.  shreads weight off so quickly its crazy.  i lose 5 lbs a week on it.

Mntngoat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #52 on: October 01, 2015, 08:05:07 AM »
last night was  grilled chicken with wilted spinach and arugula  and sliced  strawberries.   
Took all of 10 minutes to make.

ML

garion

• Stubble
« Reply #53 on: October 01, 2015, 08:26:44 AM »
Last night we had leftover rotisserie chicken with kale, pesto and spaghetti/spaghetti squash (I meant to eat all spaghetti squash but one of my tiny squashes had sprouted and didn't taste right).

Tonight will probably be a stir fry of farmer's market veggies with leftover rotisserie chicken, rice, and either tamari or homemade teriyaki sauce depending on how lazy I feel.

I've been obsessed with rotisserie chickens lately. So easy, cheap, and relatively healthy and you can stretch the leftovers for a while and make stock with the bones! Of course roasted chicken is better, but I don't always have time to roast one.

Liz

• Stubble
« Reply #54 on: October 01, 2015, 09:35:03 PM »
Salmon on a bed of spinach and homemade dipping sauce

SingleMomDebt

« Reply #55 on: October 01, 2015, 10:26:24 PM »
Major baked potato w veggie chili, cheese, green onions, sour cream. Side of Orange.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #56 on: October 02, 2015, 02:28:13 PM »
Dinner party tonight! Vegetable pot pie with roasted fall veggies, and chocolate chip banana bread for dessert.

Trudie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #57 on: October 02, 2015, 02:32:14 PM »
Spaghetti with meat sauce.  Salad.  Red wine.  Items #1 and #2 with ingredients from Costco.  Wine is from Aldi.

Also - Bill Withers streaming on the sound system!

Nancy

« Reply #58 on: October 02, 2015, 05:54:56 PM »
Rutabaga and brassica green peanut stew. Cost $0.31/serving since veg is sourced from my garden.

frompa

• Bristles
« Reply #59 on: October 02, 2015, 06:06:18 PM »
OMG, what we are eating for dinner tonight is utterly obscene and lovely and the smell wafting through the house these past few hours is so enchanting I actually left the house a few times simply so I could walk back in and enjoy being hit by the smell of what's cooking.  It's a several hour long prep of the French peasant dish Cassoulet -- three kinds of pork (which we had in the freezer from the whole hog we had butchered earlier this year) and white beans and tomatoes (the last of my pile from the garden) and a few odd other vegetables mostly from the garden (carrots, parsley, onions.)  Cost, hmmm.... let me do some calculating. I'd say about .64 per serving.  This is really high for us, but here in Pennsylvania, the cold rainy wind has been blowing all day, giving us our first bit of Fall weather, so it seems worthy of a celebratory meal.  Hooray!

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #60 on: October 02, 2015, 06:49:46 PM »
French bread pizza with homemade pesto for the base. Yum and easy.

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #61 on: October 02, 2015, 06:50:36 PM »
8 oz of 93/7 ground beef burgers (no buns) and a salad with a few tbsp light ranch.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #62 on: October 03, 2015, 11:19:20 PM »
Fajitas made with garden veggies and leftover chicken.  Black beans cooked from dry in the Instant pot, and tortillas my dad brought along and needed to use up.

Lindy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Frugal Turtle
« Reply #63 on: October 03, 2015, 11:27:31 PM »
Stir Fry!  We make a huge batch of the veggies so we have leftovers for work for a few days.  We just cook up more rice if we need it.  And for dessert-Oatmeal Raisin Cookies that I just made from scratch.  Yum!

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #64 on: October 04, 2015, 12:13:59 AM »
Large meatloaf Patty with BBQ sauce , onion mashed potatoes and buttered rutabaga .

Veg were on sale for .35 per lb a week ago, so much less than half price.  $7.00 for 1.5 lb lean ground beef.  I had made the patties with garden herbs and breadcrumbs and put in freezer.  Grilled from frozen on electric grill.

So .. About $7.80 for 4 servings.

Trudie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #65 on: October 04, 2015, 07:03:26 AM »
Baked pork chops with sauerkraut:
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/216330/german-pork-chops-and-sauerkraut/?internalSource=search%20result&referringContentType=search%20results

I'm going to use pork loin chops.  Whole pork loin was .99/pound at our butcher.  I had them cut it into chops and throw them in packages of two.

This is a good fall recipe.  I estimate a cost of about $1 per serving.  (One pork loin chop is huge.  I will cut them in half before I bake them.)

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #66 on: October 04, 2015, 04:19:33 PM »
Hot dog Soup.

4 hotdogs boiled in water.
Salt and pepper to taste.

Remove hotdogs and enjoy the soup

Next day have 4 hotdogs to eat as leftovers.

Cost of dinner 11 cents.

Just kidding

LOL, I used to do the same exact thing with broccoli back in my college days... :D Actually, I probably should have saved all that water and refrigerated it to drink later... :D :D :D

Annamal

• Bristles
« Reply #67 on: October 04, 2015, 04:25:19 PM »
Vegetable stirfry with a hoisin/sriracha/vinegar sauce and broken up bits of omelette on rice.

This my goto end of the week recipe to use up everything from the previous week's markets (sadly we did not make the sunday markets this week as we are both down with awful spring colds but we'll go with a simple frozen spinach and chickpea curry as our main meal for the week).

seemsright

• Bristles
« Reply #68 on: October 04, 2015, 04:29:58 PM »
French Onion soup from the million onions the CSA had this years.  And fresh bread in the oven. Should feed us for 2 dinners.

SingleMomDebt

« Reply #69 on: October 04, 2015, 04:57:02 PM »
Alfredo with salmon and broccoli

SingleMomDebt

« Reply #70 on: October 05, 2015, 08:07:27 PM »
A homemade version of a Chipotle salad bowl Lime rice and everything. Came out fantastic!

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #71 on: October 05, 2015, 10:20:27 PM »
Turkeyburgers (ground turkey, shredded carrot, green onion from the garden, egg from our chickens, a little panko) and a volunteer pumpkin baked with maple syrup.

Nancy

« Reply #72 on: October 06, 2015, 07:28:20 AM »
Lentil, brown rice, and broccoli tacos with homemade salsa/salsa verde and fresh spinach.

For the lentils and brown rice taco innards, I modified this recipe for a pressure cooker instead of a slow cooker: http://melaniemakes.com/blog/2014/01/slow-cooker-lentil-brown-rice-tacos.html

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #73 on: October 06, 2015, 12:42:04 PM »
Egg Drop Grits:  Cook the grits, stir in a raw egg.  Grits cook the egg and it is like egg drop soup, but with grits.  Add some butter or other things for your liking.  Cost of egg here is about 25¢; grits about 10¢. 

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #74 on: October 06, 2015, 04:21:50 PM »
I'm making kung pao chicken (http://www.budgetbytes.com/2014/05/kung-pao-chicken-vegetables/) tonight.  I'm going to use more frozen vegetables (trying to clean out our freezer), but it's a pretty good recipe. 

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #75 on: October 06, 2015, 05:27:23 PM »
I was planning to make chili tonight, but there were some big lunches at work and I managed to forage enough leftovers for dinner (as well as my lunch earlier today, and my snack tomorrow). So it's free sushi night!

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #76 on: October 06, 2015, 06:12:29 PM »
Spaghetti squash with crispy sage - RECIPE: Emeril's herbed spaghetti squash - COST: Immediate cost $0, because we grew the sage and spaghetti squash, although I did pay $3.33 and $2 for those seedlings to begin with.

Roasted root vegetables - RECIPE red onion, bulk carrots, homegrown sunchokes, herbes de provence, oil + salt, 375*F, 40 mins - COST: maybe $0.35 per serving?

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #77 on: October 06, 2015, 06:19:43 PM »
Burrito bowls! Brown rice, black beans with garlic, onion, cumin and paprika, lots of fresh diced avocado and tomato. The BF will add chicken to his.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #78 on: October 06, 2015, 07:20:09 PM »
Egg Drop Grits:  Cook the grits, stir in a raw egg.  Grits cook the egg and it is like egg drop soup, but with grits.  Add some butter or other things for your liking.  Cost of egg here is about 25¢; grits about 10¢.

Totally trying, thanks. I assume this is real grits, not quick?

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #79 on: October 07, 2015, 06:02:17 AM »

Totally trying, thanks. I assume this is real grits, not quick?
Either one works.  Right now I do quick grits in a microwave.  Must be very hot to cook the egg.  I've tried two eggs, but not as good (my opinion).  Butter is a must for me. 

Anyone else notice that new studies say that we should have been drinking whole milk, not skimmed?  Do a google search for it.

asauer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #80 on: October 07, 2015, 07:09:56 AM »
Crock pot beans and greens w/ sausage:
1lb pinto beans (1.20)
1 bunch collards (.67)
1 large link of smoked turkey sausage (1.50)

Total= 3.37

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #81 on: October 07, 2015, 08:22:29 AM »
Currently doing crock pot ribs with veggies (on hand) for lunch and dinner today and tomorrow.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #82 on: October 07, 2015, 11:20:20 AM »
One of the last roasts from side of beef in April (new sides done end of October so trying to use it all up). Will top with garlic cloves and pepper. Mmmmm!

Carrots and potatoes around the roast.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What's for dinner?
« Reply #83 on: October 09, 2015, 08:18:51 PM »
I walkthrough a Ralph's supermarket twice a week while my son is at an afterschool activity in the same shopping center. They put out free cookie samples to attract you to the coffee bar, so I hit those, and then swing by the "reduced for sale" clearance rack, and then check the discounted produce rack.

Everything on the discount produce rack is $0.99. Sometimes I find whole cauliflowers that look fine to me, but apparently are misshapen, miscolored or otherwise unattractive to consumers. Today there was a mesh bag of dinner inspiration in a bag: a zuke, a chayote, a red bell pepper, a jalepeno pepper, a pasilla pepper and a couple of cucumbers. There was also a bag of limes for another $0.99.

So tonight we had black bean burritos for dinner. I chopped and sauteed all the veg with a can of diced tomatoes and some green onions from the garden, heated up some canned beans, and voila, one of our favorite nutritious meals!

The cucumbers went to the chickens, I will freeze juice from the rest of the limes, and leftover veg and beans will become huevos rancheros for breakfast in the morning.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #84 on: October 09, 2015, 10:17:22 PM »
Pretty cheap dinner tonight, thanks to the garden:

Chunked up some bratwurst and browned it with onion, pepper, garlic and tomato all from the garden, dropped in a big chopped tomato also from the garden and then some cauli-rice (not from garden).  Added in some herbs and topped with a bit of mozarella and a few black olives.  I'm guessing it was about $4 to feed the 2 of us; doesn't get much cheaper for a filling low-carb dinner.

bauhauss

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #85 on: October 21, 2015, 08:50:24 PM »
Chicken and eggplant pie. Very tasty!

Verdandi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #86 on: October 22, 2015, 08:41:08 AM »
Wild pig goulash with potatoes.
Cost for the whole meal was 10€, which is 4 servings.
We've got some nasty grey and wet weather here and need something to warm and fill us up.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #87 on: November 21, 2015, 06:51:16 PM »
Roast chicken with lots of root vegetables and sauteed onions, mushrooms and spinach on the side.

coffeelover

• Stubble
« Reply #88 on: January 24, 2016, 03:27:30 PM »
I walkthrough a Ralph's supermarket twice a week while my son is at an afterschool activity in the same shopping center. They put out free cookie samples to attract you to the coffee bar, so I hit those, and then swing by the "reduced for sale" clearance rack, and then check the discounted produce rack.

Everything on the discount produce rack is $0.99. Sometimes I find whole cauliflowers that look fine to me, but apparently are misshapen, miscolored or otherwise unattractive to consumers. Today there was a mesh bag of dinner inspiration in a bag: a zuke, a chayote, a red bell pepper, a jalepeno pepper, a pasilla pepper and a couple of cucumbers. There was also a bag of limes for another $0.99.

So tonight we had black bean burritos for dinner. I chopped and sauteed all the veg with a can of diced tomatoes and some green onions from the garden, heated up some canned beans, and voila, one of our favorite nutritious meals!

The cucumbers went to the chickens, I will freeze juice from the rest of the limes, and leftover veg and beans will become huevos rancheros for breakfast in the morning.

Sheesh I know this was like 5 months ago but this sounds so good!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 03:29:21 PM by coffeelover »

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #89 on: January 30, 2016, 04:01:47 PM »
Crock pot baked ziti with homemade bread.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #90 on: January 30, 2016, 06:22:54 PM »

Is there a recipe for the ziti? I've always wanted to try that!

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #91 on: January 31, 2016, 05:48:02 AM »

Mine is a simplified version of this recipe (no egg in the cheese mix because I don't keep them in winter - also fine without the mozzarella inside, though some on top is good).

http://www.dinner-mom.com/crock-pot-baked-ziti/

Editing to add I use whole wheat ziti.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 05:49:34 AM by Rural »

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #92 on: January 31, 2016, 06:59:28 AM »

Mine is a simplified version of this recipe (no egg in the cheese mix because I don't keep them in winter - also fine without the mozzarella inside, though some on top is good).

http://www.dinner-mom.com/crock-pot-baked-ziti/

Editing to add I use whole wheat ziti.

Yum, thanks!

powersuitrecall

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #93 on: March 23, 2016, 01:36:09 PM »
We started making our own corn tortillas after DW was diagnosed celiac.  We are having taco's tonight!

Tortillas:
Masa Harina + water + salt, combined and separated into little balls, then flattened and cooked on a cast iron frypan

Filling:
Refried Beans (homemade of course!)
ground beef & spices
sour cream
cheese
salsa

QuirkyNurse

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #94 on: March 23, 2016, 02:04:50 PM »
Cheese-stuffed meatballs, sauteed broccoli, and sweet potato casserole! The best part is, we made tons of it so we have meals for the rest of the week!

We made the casserole last nigh, and the meatballs are in the crockpot, so it'll come together pretty quickly too.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #95 on: March 23, 2016, 02:47:51 PM »
anyone else seen the crazy drop in beef prices, its similar to the pork decline last year.

picked up some hamburger for 1.50/lb this week.  80/20 too.  grilling out some burgers tonight with a carmelized onion topping thats been going in the slowcooker all day.

Also picked up some Sirloin tip roasts 2.99/lb(not the cheapest but we're getting there).  gonna put that in the oven at 500 tomorrow and serve it with some Faux mashed potatoes made from beans and asparagus.

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #96 on: March 23, 2016, 02:57:11 PM »
Stir fried shrimp and vegetables over whole wheat noodles.

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #97 on: March 23, 2016, 03:08:21 PM »
Baked mayo-topped fish. Frozen swai fillets, with blackening seasoning, ground corriander and dill, coated with a thin layer of mayo and then sprinkled with a little dill and parsley on the top. Drizzle a little watered down lemon juice over and bake for 22 minutes at 350˚F, then shift to under the broiler for 5 ish minutes to get the mayo layer golden and bubbly. Served with a side of broccoli/cauliflower. yum.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #98 on: March 23, 2016, 06:11:14 PM »
General Tso's "chicken" with a great many vegetables added and a very small amount of chicken. It's all about the sauce, anyway (I cheat with a seasoning packet). Served over precooked brown rice - that is, I cooked it earlier and put it in the freezer. :)

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #99 on: March 23, 2016, 09:39:19 PM »
Chorizo, blue potato and asparagus hash with a couple homegrown sunnyside eggs on top.